• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yc172

Octopus

Rate this topic

So a bird flew in to the Joe and he's been dubbed the rally bird? This is brand new this year? And who came up with the name Bernie, any significance to that?

Funny, We used to get pigeons in the Cow Pallace a million years ago before the Shark Tank was constructed, and some of the plucky ones would land on the ice, but none ever became a cultural phenomenon.

So a bird flew in to the Joe and he's been dubbed the rally bird? This is brand new this year? And who came up with the name Bernie, any significance to that?

Funny, We used to get pigeons in the Cow Pallace a million years ago before the Shark Tank was constructed, and some of the plucky ones would land on the ice, but none ever became a cultural phenomenon.

Yep, pretty much, he flew around, bothered our goaltender, drank water off the ice, landed on the blue line and helped us destroy the Flames.

Yes, this is new this year, he showed up in game one of the Calgary series

as I recall, after the game, people came on here and started posting about the bird that was flying around and the person who posted it decided to call him Bernie for some reason

Then people came up with the idea of making shirts of this bird's picture to sell online, THEN people thought it would be cool if we sent all the Red Wings players shirts, so the people on this board gathered up over $200.00 to buy and ship a shirt to EVERY Red Wings player.

and the legend of Bernie was born...

Edited by Elshupacabra

Please explain the Bernie phenomenon to an outsider. It doesn't get the same play as the octopus story, so I'm not sure of the significance. Thanks.

This bernie stuff is crap. Sure, he was funny in game one... but to say Bernie is part of our rich tradition because he showed up for ONE GAME!? Come on, be serious. The only thing cool about Bernie is that he allowed LGW to get in the news by sending the team some 'Bernie' shirts. But let's face it, Bernie is gone. The JLA folks got rid of him. Nobody's rallying around Bernie other than a few here. If he did come back, he'd probably find himself smashed into the ice by a projectile-Octopus.

The Octopus: Awesome tradition since the 50's

Yzerman: The best damned Wing to wear the red & white.

Bernie? A minor amusement for a few minutes in one game, 2 weeks ago. Tradition my ass.

no i didnt get to throw it on the ice. I went all over metro detroit trying find octopus.. no place had it!! So i called information like 50 times finding a sea shop or a fish market, I was even debating whether to look in a pet store. I couldnt find it anywhere. BUT.. there is a chance that i will go game 3... and now i know where to get it (they were out at the store that I finally at 7:00 found and therefore missed the first 3 minutes of the game because it was so far away from the joe) so be ready!

Yep, pretty much, he flew around, bothered our goaltender, drank water off the ice, landed on the blue line and helped us destroy the Flames.

Oh yeah, he helped all right. He was awesome in Game 2 when he earned a Gordie Howe Hat-Trick. Watching Bernie the 3-oz Starling beat the crap out of Robyn Regehr was one of the best highlights of the game... and the way Bernie deked Kipper out of his pink-cotton-panties was priceless.

Yeah, he sure helped. Yeah. Right.

:ph34r:

This bernie stuff is crap. Sure, he was funny in game one... but to say Bernie is part of our rich tradition because he showed up for ONE GAME!? Come on, be serious. The only thing cool about Bernie is that he allowed LGW to get in the news by sending the team some 'Bernie' shirts. But let's face it, Bernie is gone. The JLA folks got rid of him. Nobody's rallying around Bernie other than a few here. If he did come back, he'd probably find himself smashed into the ice by a projectile-Octopus.

The Octopus: Awesome tradition since the 50's

Yzerman: The best damned Wing to wear the red & white.

Bernie? A minor amusement for a few minutes in one game, 2 weeks ago. Tradition my ass.

It is a little silly but seriously is it any reason for you to poo on the parade. Maybe a little fan motivation would be nice. At least it beats pessimism and negativity. ;)

Yes, but was that the same one that Yc172 was talking about smuggling in to the Joe when he/she started this thread? I'd like to hear the rest of that story...

Perhaps it was them and they are waiting for one of us to post bail for them.

I thought about this thread when I realized we were going to be shut out. Good thing you didn't have it strapped to your chest for a few hours for no reason. Too bad the Wings LOST. Bah!

Sure Bernie is probablyi just a passing fad and can't compete with traditions like the octopus, but if people are having fun with it, then have your fun. I'll stick with "tried and true" traditions, but whatever floats your collective boats.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Seriously what kind ****** doesnt like the spirit of the octopus, i guess you dont like bernie either do you. In that case do you believe Yzerman is over rated.

There are just some things that wings fans love

thats octopus, yzerman, bernie, and my personal favorite seeing vladdy raise the cup.

I'd say there's about 30 Wings fans that love Bernie. The rest have probably never heard of it, are indifferent, or think the whole thing got blown way out of proportion.

Octopus = cool.

Yzerman = the man

Bernie = meh (at best)

I'd say there's about 30 Wings fans that love Bernie. The rest have probably never heard of it, are indifferent, or think the whole thing got blown way out of proportion.

Octopus = cool.

Yzerman = the man

Bernie = meh (at best)

octopus=very cool

yzerman = yes..is the man

bernie = alot of fun for a wings fan

looks like someone liked them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Lint123