• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Post-GAME 3 (4/30): Sharks 2, Red Wings 1 F

Rate this topic

Very disappointing loss after such a great first period. We did the same thing they did in the last game, played one great period and that was it. Really frustrating to watch. We were completely manhandled in our own zone for the second half of the game. If we lose this series (not saying we will, though - there's lots of hockey still to play), or even if we win for that matter, I can definately see a lot of people here wanting a major size upgrade for next season.

Onto some positive things. Lidstrom was unbelievable tonight, it was definately his best game of the playoffs so far. Too bad it had to come in a losing cause. Hasek was awesome as well, he did everything he could to keep the game close in the 3rd. Sorta wish he didn't decide to play dead on the Cheechoo goal, but it is Hasek after all. Samuelsson was pretty good tonight too, Datsyuk showed some great things but didn't get a whole lot done.

Bertuzzi was pretty awful tonight. I didn't once see him do anything physical other than taking stupid penalties. The reffing wasn't great but it's been a whole lot worse. The fact is that good reffing or not, we should have had this game in the bag and we couldn't get it done. Not all is lost though. Win the next game and we're right back in the driver's seat.

There is still alot of hockey to be played. This isn't supposed to be easy. I don't think that the Wings didn't play 60 minutes, but I know we got our asses handed to us along the boards and behind the net in our own end. If we continue to get out muscled they'll take the series. If the Wings can turn on a little more scoring, the series is ours to wing.

GO WINGS!!!!!

behind the net is the biggest issue we have. Thornton is a monster behind the net and its a good passing area for the sharks. We just cant compete behind there, or atleast have shown we cant, when the sharks can keep the puck for minutes at a time in our zone

I agree, watching the replay he bit on the fake shot pretty badly but was in close enough to poke-check Cheechoo.

Unfortunately, the Wings faced so much pressure in third I could only sit and watch and know it was a matter of time until something broke down; a penalty, a big shot from the point, a rebound, in the net.

The power play actually looked good tonight. Granted, they couldn't even it up when they had the chance, but by-golly -- they were SKATING out there!

Lidstrom was pinching down low! Players were rotating along around the net!

Indeed. It was much more fun than watching the point and half-wall play catch in a fruitless attempt to drive a bomb down the goalie's throat. Hopefully with Homer's return Wednesday they can keep the heat on and really bust this thing wide open.

You know what pisses me off? The THREE freaking posts we hit in the first. Could ONE of those have gone in. GEEZ.

Seriously..you look back at that and see what a difference it would of made. That's just luck.

Well if we had gotten the bounces, we would have won. If that happend we still would have looked like amatures along the boards.

No team can win the cup without a little bit of luck. To this point, we have none!

Hasek was amazing.

Nabokov was good.

Lang was strong.

Rivet was weak.

Lidstrom was a star.

Clowe and Grier have demontrated the Sharks depth.

Thornton was nasty.

Cheechoo is FINALLY playing better.

IF your Wings cannot break the Sharks forecheck, you're going to be disappointed with the outcome of this series.

Tonight Bertuzzi was a train wreck. A player you need to settle down.

The Wings had us against the ropes the first 25. Dominating hockey. If they put that play together for 60...they'd be sick! Nobody would beat them...nobody.

Edited by azshark

The passion the Wings had in the Calgary series was completely gone in the second and third periods tonight. They had what was nearly a perfect road playoff period in the first, but the effort was completely wasted and I think that's the most frustrating part of tonight's game.

Todd Bertuzzi had a pretty awful game tonight. In theory, the addition of him onto the Datsyuk/Zetterberg line sounds great, but it didn't do much tonight. I would love to see Filppula get a shot in Game 4, but if anything, I'm sure Babcock will let Samuelsson permanently take the position.

Okay, so I had sort of an odd moment while watching when the game when a friend mentioned Chris Osgood. I completely forgot he was on the team, honest to God. Just COMPLETELY forgot. It was a really weird, strange thing.

Anyway, on to Game 4. The goal was to steal a game in San Jose, and that goal can still be accomplished with a win on Wednesday.

They played maybe 2-3 games so far from start to finish, and that was at home versus calgary. Did they forget they are playing alot better team in the second round? 10 minutes of hockey won't win games. I am so freaking pissed at there sloppy hockey it makes me sick. Play playoff hockey or go play golf now. Lang SUCKS, Bert stop taking stupid penalties. Now I need a beer to settle down.

Edited by corvette80

i dont understand how everyone here being a red wings fan isnt clinching their fists right now in disappointment at the sheer lack of want or any offensive play in the 2nd half of the game

You don't think San Jose had just a little to do with how the second half of the game was dictated? How about giving credit where credit was due?

Clowe's goal was absolutely huge for that club and that, obviously, turned the tide of the game.

It's a long series -- I didn't expect a sweep of Games 3 & 4 and the Wings will likely look at this game as one they should've had when they wake up tomorrow.

Obviously, it sets up a must-win Game 4 and it'll be nice to get a 30-goal scorer back in the lineup.

Anyway not to take anything away from Sharks, they played great. It has been a LONG long time since Wings were outplayed this badly. This is not going to be an easy series by any means.

How does being outplayed for 20 make it such a long time since the Wings were outplayed so badly? I'm not getting it. The Wings were dominating in the first and most of the second. After the Sharks tied the game late in the second is where the Wings fell apart.

Thats the biggest problem if found with Detroit. Sometimes it seems we don't want it badly enough!!!

In the words of the mighty willy wonka... "we're just happy to be here (2nd round that is)"

If they really want to win they will need to play an entire 60 mins straight... for 3 more games.

Last I knew, we still won WW2..

Also, I'll still have an OK night. At the end of the day, yeah my favorite team of all time and all sports lost BUT it's still just a game. 1 of 7 to be exact. IT'S JUST A GAME.

3. SIZE MATTERS. So my date told me last month. Anyway, the Red Wing players are like tiny Sherman Tanks going up against German Panther and Tiger Tanks called the SJ Sharks. A Sherman tank shoots a shell at the Tiger Tank and the shell bounces off harmless. If you are a WW 2 buff...you would understand the analogy.

Have a crappy night everyone. :angry:

You don't think San Jose had just a little to do with how the second half of the game was dictated? How about giving credit where credit was due?

Clowe's goal was absolutely huge for that club and that, obviously, turned the tide of the game.

It's a long series -- I didn't expect a sweep of Games 3 & 4 and the Wings will likely look at this game as one they should've had when they wake up tomorrow.

Obviously, it sets up a must-win Game 4 and it'll be nice to get a 30-goal scorer back in the lineup.

I have given them due in other threads, for example the thornton thread, they played dominating 2nd half hockey, keeping the pucks in our zone for minutes at a time when we couldnt keep it in theirs for seconds at a time...they deserve all the credit for coming out and skating hard, really just manhandling us in the 2nd half.

I just like to believe that has something to do with the wings not showing up in the 2nd half, unless when the sharks play hard and the wings play hard thats what it looks like. In which case we're in big trouble

behind the net is the biggest issue we have. Thornton is a monster behind the net and its a good passing area for the sharks. We just cant compete behind there, or atleast have shown we cant, when the sharks can keep the puck for minutes at a time in our zone

Yup! Couldn't agree more! Kinda makes me wish he would disappear like he did in Boston. Lets all give him the Bean curse!!!

I gotta git up for work in a few hours. Too bad, I couldn't be a little more excited. On the brightside, Homers back on Wednesday!!!

The one thing is the refs have got to stay out of it in the third. It's like they waited till within the last 10 mins to call a penalty. Going to bring basketball into this sorry , but in the NBA refs don't call a foul to send a person to the line to win the game unless its really blatant. IMO hockey is one of the easier sports to ref (still hard) it is fast but when there is a penalty it is really obvious, yet some how they make it so hard.

Edited by MTU_Huskies963

I have given them due in other threads, for example the thornton thread, they played dominating 2nd half hockey, keeping the pucks in our zone for minutes at a time when we couldnt keep it in theirs for seconds at a time...they deserve all the credit for coming out and skating hard, really just manhandling us in the 2nd half.

I just like to believe that has something to do with the wings not showing up in the 2nd half, unless when the sharks play hard and the wings play hard thats what it looks like. In which case we're in big trouble

i don't know if the wings can handle the sharks when they're playing that hard. when the sharks are cycling the puck and playing it along the boards the wings are powerless. and on the rare occasion the wings do get the puck in these situations they are so scared that they make piss poor passes or clearing attempts in our zone (even lidstrom) and turn the puck over.

it's just plain painful to watch.

i feel like when my cousin would beat me up when we were kids and he had like 40 pounds on me and there was just nothing i could do.

The one thing is the refs have got to stay out of it in the third. It's like they waited till within the last 10 mins to call a penalty. Going to bring basketball into this sorry , but in the NBA refs don't call a foul to send a person to the line to win the game unless its really blatant. IMO hockey is one of the easier sports to ref (still hard) it is fast but when there is a penalty it is really obvious, yet some how they make it so hard.

Are you talking about the Bertuzzi play? Absolutely a penalty. As blatant a slew foot as there ever was.

Hasek was amazing.

Nabokov was good.

Lang was strong.

Rivet was weak.

Lidstrom was a star.

Clowe and Grier have demontrated the Sharks depth.

Thornton was nasty.

Cheechoo is FINALLY playing better.

IF your Wings cannot break the Sharks forecheck, you're going to be disappointed with the outcome of this series.

Tonight Bertuzzi was a train wreck. A player you need to settle down.

The Wings had us against the ropes the first 25. Dominating hockey. If they put that play together for 60...they'd be sick! Nobody would beat them...nobody.

Good points.

That elbow Bert threw was bulls*** on his part

John Keating was just interviewing Lidstrom. "You okay? You were limping a bit." Lidstrom: 'Yeah i'm perfectly fine. No problems. No problems at all."

Oh, I'm sure by the end of this playoff run and the *real* injury reports come out there'll be some dropped jaws around here.

i don't know if the wings can handle the sharks when they're playing that hard. when the sharks are cycling the puck and playing it along the boards the wings are powerless. and on the rare occasion the wings do get the puck in these situations they are so scared that they make piss poor passes or clearing attempts in our zone (even lidstrom) and turn the puck over.

it's just plain painful to watch.

i feel like when my cousin would beat me up when we were kids and he had like 40 pounds on me and there was just nothing i could do.

youre dead on about the pisspoor passing stuff, not only that but we try to get fancy pants in our own zone passing the puck trying to play puck possession, we cant do that when we dont pass correctly, or the sharks are forechecking that hard