• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

OFFICIAL: Pronger Suspended for Game 4

Rate this topic

Hmm, I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but I'll bring it up. Several members have been complaining that Ducks fans apparently 'cheered' when Holmstrom was injured. Seems kinda hypocritical to condemn Ducks fans for cheering (after a big hit no less) when you were all celebrating and applauding yesterday when it was announced Kunitz was out for the season with a hand injury.

You're just reaching for something now. The comments here concerned Ducks fans at the game cheering when it was obvious that Homer was hurt. Nobody even knew Kunitz was even gone from the game until the next day or two when the media released he was unjured.

Big difference.

esteef

You're just reaching for something now. The comments here concerned Ducks fans at the game cheering when it was obvious that Homer was hurt. Nobody even knew Kunitz was even gone from the game until the next day or two when the media released he was unjured.

Big difference.

esteef

I don't recall any gloating on the part of Wings fans, either. Besides, huge difference between a hand injury and a stupid hit that could have been extremely dangerous and career - if not life-threatening.

Hmm, I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but I'll bring it up. Several members have been complaining that Ducks fans apparently 'cheered' when Holmstrom was injured. Seems kinda hypocritical to condemn Ducks fans for cheering (after a big hit no less) when you were all celebrating and applauding yesterday when it was announced Kunitz was out for the season with a hand injury.

Hrm, broken finger, or broken neck?

Was his hand viciously checked into the boards from behind with a elbow by a semi-retarded inbred nimrod who is on a team with the most major penalties in the league this year?

Were wings fans at the joe shouting "kill em!" and cheering while he was laying on the ice with a "broken hand"

I publicly stated I wanted both teams as healthy as possible for each game this series. I also wished him a speedy recovery back when he missed his first game and before it was declared that his season was over. Also I recall when he missed his first game most people were glad since it'd help us out a bit as fans of the Wings but we hoped it to be nothing serious.

Besides I'm sure most of us don't want to rely on injuries of all things to help us out.

I don't recall any gloating on the part of Wings fans, either. Besides, huge difference between a hand injury and a stupid hit that could have been extremely dangerous and career - if not life-threatening.

I wasn't reaching for anything new, I wanted to know. And an injury is an injury. When the news came in on this board that Kunitz was hurt, several members on this board applauded. I assure you, 99.9% of the people in the Pond were NOT cheering the injury. They were going insane because it was the first bit of action they had seen all night. A 5-0 shutout is kinda boring when you're losing. Unless the Pond suddenly became infested with King fans, I know the crowd, and they wouldn't do something like that. It was because of the action. Just be patient, some of us can be slow, as it has been rudely pointed out several times.

And I didn't say it was all Wings fans. My point was: It's on both sides, not just one.

I wasn't reaching for anything new, I wanted to know. And an injury is an injury. When the news came in on this board that Kunitz was hurt, several members on this board applauded. I assure you, 99.9% of the people in the Pond were NOT cheering the injury. They were going insane because it was the first bit of action they had seen all night. A 5-0 shutout is kinda boring when you're losing. Unless the Pond suddenly became infested with King fans, I know the crowd, and they wouldn't do something like that. It was because of the action. Just be patient, some of us can be slow, as it has been rudely pointed out several times.

And I didn't say it was all Wings fans. My point was: It's on both sides, not just one.

Cheer for the big hit, go ahead. It's the only exciting thing your team did all night. But when he doesn't get up and is bleeding from his head, you don't keep applauding. That's classless.

Hrm, broken finger, or broken neck?

Was his hand viciously checked into the boards from behind with a elbow by a semi-retarded inbred nimrod who is on a team with the most major penalties in the league this year?

Were wings fans at the joe shouting "kill em!" and cheering while he was laying on the ice with a "broken hand"

His hand injury was from a slapshot from the point on a re-direct. LOL The fans here all said tough loss,but it favors their boys. Big difference.

How can you assure us of this? You know the thoughts and speak for everyone at the Honda Center now? We've had multiple members here, who were at the game mind you, attest that they not only heard applause and cheers but specifically listed comments such as "kill him" etc.

How about just speak for yourself and stop trying to defend everyone in Anaheim.

esteef

Cheer for the big hit, go ahead. It's the only exciting thing your team did all night. But when he doesn't get up and is bleeding from his head, you don't keep applauding. That's classless.

Tough to see him bleeding on location, without the luxury of TV close-ups etc.

Admittedly, I was too busy cursing Pronger longer and angrier with each passing breath to have any recollection of the crowd's reaction beyond the initial noise and excitement of a big hit. But I kind of have a sneaking suspicion that the crowd's reaction to the Homer injury has been overblown.

. But I kind of have a sneaking suspicion that the crowd's reaction to the Homer injury has been overblown.

Don't care. I'm tired of the whole "Well, YOU did it" argument. And not even with comparable examples.

gotta disagree on this one. most civilized posters voiced their concern about Kunitz health when the announcement were made he's out for Game 2. some of us wrote like "wouldn't mind if it kept him from returning" but I don't recall anyone cheering the fact that Kunitz is injured

that would be the difference I see

okay dude, theres a big difference between being glad that a big name player isnt in the lineup on the team your playing against and standing up and cheering when a player is down, on the ice, and not moving. Thats just totally classless.

Its not on both sides because there AREN'T two sides to begin with.

You said you play hockey, so Im not sure why youre comparing apples to oranges here. A broken hand is nothing compared to a check head first into the boards with an elbow from behind - by a 250lb guy nonetheless.

I didnt really see the thread, so I cant comment, but being happy about somebody not being able to play because of a broken hand is a far cry from being happy that somebody is lying motionless on the ground and bleeding from an illegal hit.

I would fully expect Sharks fans to be happy and excited that Schneider broke his wrist after what looked like a harmless hit from Marleau in the Sharks-Wings series. Thats hockey. Cheering for illegal goonery is something totally different.

But I kind of have a sneaking suspicion that the crowd's reaction to the Homer injury has been overblown.

the good folks in section 413 were definitely cheering that homer was injured on the play. if it wasn't for the game misconduct anouncement, they'd probably still be cheering.

Tough to see him bleeding on location, without the luxury of TV close-ups etc.

Admittedly, I was too busy cursing Pronger longer and angrier with each passing breath to have any recollection of the crowd's reaction beyond the initial noise and excitement of a big hit. But I kind of have a sneaking suspicion that the crowd's reaction to the Homer injury has been overblown.

It was noticeable because it was the only cheering that was heard in the arena all night (unless you count the Wings fans in attendance who could be heard cheering Franzen's goal). And it WASNT from the initial hit alone. It CONTINUED after play had been stopped and Homer was lying on the ground.

If it were cheering for a hit, then there wouldnt be so much conversation about it. Its about what happened after the hit that pushes Wings fans to call the Ducks fans "classless."

I wasn't reaching for anything new, I wanted to know. And an injury is an injury. When the news came in on this board that Kunitz was hurt, several members on this board applauded. I assure you, 99.9% of the people in the Pond were NOT cheering the injury. They were going insane because it was the first bit of action they had seen all night. A 5-0 shutout is kinda boring when you're losing. Unless the Pond suddenly became infested with King fans, I know the crowd , and they wouldn't do something like that. It was because of the action. Just be patient, some of us can be slow, as it has been rudely pointed out several times.

I'm sorry but, you know the personality and tendencies of some 17,000 people?

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Listen, I was not one of the fans that supposedly cheered for Kunitz breaking his hand. There is a big difference between cheering for something like that and cheering for a guy who is down on the ice and not moving. Don't tell me there isn't.

As far as Brian Burke, I haven't had any respect for him for years, ever since his days with Vancouver when he whined about us. Hey Burke, you want a little cheese with your whine? If not shut up and take your punishment like a man.

As for us, we know the best way to inflict the maximum pain - hit them where it will hurt the most...ON THE SCOREBOARD.

An injury is NOT an injury. There's a huge difference between head/neck injuries and hand injuries. That's not rocket science. Anyone involved in sports medicine (as I am) will tell you that head/neck injuries are treated much more cautiously because of the risk of LIFE-THREATENING injury.

Secondly, for all the complainers using the helmet excuse: show me one professional hockey player who wears his helmet correctly. Besides, that should be a moot point, since whether or not his helmet fit properly does not have bearing on the fact that Pronger came in, elbows up, and deliberately slammed his head into the glass. That's like saying it was Holmstrom's own fault he was injured.

I haven't read the first five pages of responses, so I apologize in advance for rehashing, but here's my quick $0.02...

Fair and justified suspension. I know Pronger can throw the body around and that is a major part of his game. He's a damned good defenseman. You can't just slam people's heads into the boards though. Hit him that hard with a body shot, fine. Not the head though.

At initial glance, this should obviously help the Wings for game 4 tomorrow night. However, Pronger is not the entire Ducks team. The Ducks are still large/physical, will still have a damned good defensemen in Niedermeyer playing, and can still put the puck in the net at anytime.

Pronger's absence will benefit the Wings to a certain degree, and if a dramatic situation ever presented itself to get a stranglehold of a series, Pronger's suspension is up there, but they better not take the rest of the Ducks lightly as this series is not even close to being over.

Ok, my point that was cheering for an injury is cheering on an injury.

I just saw the hit and once again I will state that I think it was dirty and that there is no place in the NHL for that. The Pond is a place I've been in for the past 4 years and there isn't a time where I can remember the crowd cheering on someone not moving and bleeding.

I play, and yes I realize hits to the head are not even close to being comparable to hand injuries, but the thought of cheering an injury is all the same to me.

Also, I can't tell whose bleeding from nosebleed seats. I can't tell whose bleeding from the lower bowl. This whole "The fans were cheering his injury" thing was blown out of proportion.

Ducks fans are not the re-incarnation of Satan, I assure you.

On a side note, am I the only one that thinks Holmstrom looks like a chimp with his helmet off? :lol:

To be honest with ya all, I don't think it would of mattered if homers helmet was on tight or not, or even if he recieved stitches or not. It was without any doubt that Pronger intended to hit Homer high. He already scored two goal and has been a thorn in the ducks side all series. There was intent, so therefore a suspension. Every one just needs to deal with it and move on to game 4. As I know I'm extremely thankful that homer is alright, after seeing that hit I would of put money on that he would be out for the rest of the playoffs even if we made it to the finals. Thank God I'm not a betting man!

And an injury is an injury.

categorically untrue. a similar comparison would be someone saying, "i'm sick!" and the other person thinking, "well, if it's a cold or if it's cancer...it doesn't really matter; sick is sick!" i'm sorry, but that's absurd. and as others have pointed out, there's a difference between being glad that an impact player from the other team is not playing and cheering when someone is laying motionless, bleeding on the ice after a check from behind to the head. i'm sure there was not a short supply of ducks fans who were glad to here that schneider would not be playing, and i can't blame them -- it gives you team a better chance. it's as simple as that.

secondly, any talk about homer's helmet being on too loose as a cause for the injury is ridiculous. burke said he though homer's helmet came off four times. unless i'm wrong, it only came off three times and one was by the linesman who pulled it off when falling to the ice. i'd like to see anyone's helmet stay on through that. the last one was, if i recall, a minor blow to the head when homer was down after returning in the third. not an illegal hit, but players helmets fall off all the time.

sill, i have to support the fact that burke is sticking up for his player. of course, it irritates me as much as the next wings fan to read his comments that say it was the wrong call / not pronger's fault, etc. (just as i was irritated by ron wilson's failure to give the wings any credit for their victories). but the point is, that's his job. he wants his team to win game four, and to do that they cannot be demoralized. also, i have not seen the "end zone" view of the hit burke referenced, the one where he said it was obvious that pronger was not trying to check him into the glass at all. i'd like to see it.

finally, i agree with the posters who have said that this does not significantly improve our chances for game four. sure, in the long run, a d-man like pronger helps out a team. maybe the loss of pronger makes their power play a little less worrisome (not that it's been dreadfully so yet this series). but at the same time, they now only have one norris-nominated d-man rather than two. people will take his minutes, people will replace him on the power play. if the ducks really want to win, they'll step up. if the wings really want to win, it's been shown that we can handidly dispatch of them on their own ice, even with pronger in the lineup.

bottom line is, giguere had a rough game (though he can't be blamed for all those goals) and s. niedermayer was playing like s***. he's not going to be -3 in game four. this one's still up in the air, and a win without pronger could provide a serious boost for the ducks.

still, i like our chances overall. go wings!

Ok, my point that was cheering for an injury is cheering on an injury.

i still disagree, but a little less than when i wrote my last response.

On a side note, am I the only one that thinks Holmstrom looks like a chimp with his helmet off? :lol:

no, he looks like a beaver. especially in the picture vs. always uses.

Well, I've seen him enough times in the play-offs to know he is a dirty player. If he complains that this wasn't one of his dirty plays, then not only is he a ******, he's an ignorant ******.

i must say since this pronger incident that alot of you wings fans have been very classless and quite rude to say the least. you guys say that you are so classy and that this board is a great place to chat and talk puck but in the last 24 hours i have seen the most bias,mean, and unnecassary comments ive seen in awhile

i must say since this pronger incident that alot of you wings fans have been very classless and quite rude to say the least. you guys say that you are so classy and that this board is a great place to chat and talk puck but in the last 24 hours i have seen the most bias,mean, and unnecassary comments ive seen in awhile

We'd be doing the same thing if it was Teemu. As long as they're not attacking us it's not what I'd consider 'classless'. Think of it if the tables were turned, THEN post ;)

Classless? Why? Because we believe that almighty Chris Pronger deserved what he got? You wanna know what classless is? He wears #25 on your team.

You know there have been Flames fans, Sharks fans..etc and they have never had a problem with this board, nor have they thought we were classless. So far this series, and even well before it started Anaheim fans have been the absolute worst. "Duck in 2" "Ducks in 3" "Wings have no chance" "Watch out WIngs" etc.. and then there are one or two of you such as yourself who have the damn nerve to defend what Pronger did. That is a joke. You better believe that if ANY of the Wings did what Pronger did last night that we would be damn upset and would be expecting that person to get a suspension.