• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

OFFICIAL: Pronger Suspended for Game 4

Rate this topic

i'm very surprised by this. i didn't know the nhl had it in them. obviously the right call. i think two games would have been warranted but i think one is fine. i'm just glad homer isn't seriously hurt. after the hit i thought he'd at least be concussed and out for the series. homer's tough as nails.

I don't know if some already posted excerpts from this but Brian Burke interview on the Ducks site:

Q. Also because Holmstrom came back in the game, was there a thought that because he came back and played, there wouldn't be one?

BRIAN BURKE: Well, again, our view of the hit is there shouldn't have been a suspension. The player wasn't injured. He finished the game. Got a couple stitches, which would have been preventable if his helmet was properly attached. Again, that's not a shot at Detroit. As I say, I'm going out of may way to say I appreciate the way Detroit handled this. I do. I wish more teams would be that professional, because that's what we would have done, we would have thrown the guy back out there. That being said, I can't agree, I can't support the decision. I can't and I won't.

WTF is that? He could have prevented the stitches if his helmut was on properly? Man is this guy an ass - him and Pronger belong together.

This was just. Since Homer wasn't injured, I feel that one game does justice. Now if we can take game 4 while Pronger is out it will be sweet sweet justice.

Intent to injure deserves more than a one gamer. But this is the NHL, so when the game's stars are on the ice, they're left to protect themselves.

All I can tell you is our boys simply win the next game, and THEN we've got our justice.

Go WINGS!!

I don't know if some already posted excerpts from this but Brian Burke interview on the Ducks site:

Q. Also because Holmstrom came back in the game, was there a thought that because he came back and played, there wouldn't be one?

BRIAN BURKE: Well, again, our view of the hit is there shouldn't have been a suspension. The player wasn't injured. He finished the game. Got a couple stitches, which would have been preventable if his helmet was properly attached. Again, that's not a shot at Detroit. As I say, I'm going out of may way to say I appreciate the way Detroit handled this. I do. I wish more teams would be that professional, because that's what we would have done, we would have thrown the guy back out there. That being said, I can't agree, I can't support the decision. I can't and I won't.

WTF is that? He could have prevented the stitches if his helmut was on properly? Man is this guy an ass - him and Pronger belong together.

Wow, I now dislike Brian Burke that much more now. Too bad he can't take responsibility for his player's actions... <_<

Great news!!! I kind of thought it should have been two games but one game is just fine with me.

The Wings now need to have a repeat of of game three and kick the living crap out of the sitting ducks.

Wow, I now dislike Brian Burke that much more now. Too bad he can't take responsibility for his player's actions... <_<

Did you see how Burke defended a certain guy on the Canucks when he slammed Steve Moore into the ice, face first? You think what he said today was bad, search for his comments after THAT hit, it'll turn your stomach.

Look at the track record of the teams Burke has put together. Every one of them has a guy or two with a total goon-like mentality. Burke doesn't understand what passes for modern-day hockey; unfortunately so for the players playing against his teams.

Did you see how Burke defended a certain guy on the Canucks when he slammed Steve Moore into the ice, face first? You think what he said today was bad, search for his comments after THAT hit, it'll turn your stomach.

Burke does the right thing. He stands up for his own players, which is what he promises to do every season. While he doesn't approve of what they do, he sticks up for his players.

But, I'm not gunna go there....

This Suspension is Stupid!!!!!!!!!!

Before i get jumped over by all the nice people her, hear me out. This suspension wouldn't of happened if Rob Niedermeyer wasn't the one sent off. Pronger deserved to be sent off instead but the refs punished the wrong man instead, now the NHL feels since PRONGER was never punished by the refs that they will punish him the only way they can. suspension.

If Pronger is suspended for that then Alfy of the Sens should of been suspended for that boarding incident.

Before i get jumped over by all the nice people her, hear me out. This suspension wouldn't of happened if Rob Niedermeyer wasn't the one sent off. Pronger deserved to be sent off instead but the refs punished the wrong man instead, now the NHL feels since PRONGER was never punished by the refs that they will punish him the only way they can. suspension.

If the referees had made the proper call on the ice, the Pronger hit still would have been reviewed. It's impossible to know if the decision would have remained the same, but the severity and dirtiness of the cheap shot endures. I think the improper call by the refs during the game has no bearing on his suspension, to tell you the truth.

If Pronger is suspended for that then Alfy of the Sens should of been suspended for that boarding incident.

I didn't see that game or that hit, but no matter. A poor call should not become precedent. That's like making Clark Gillies and Cam Neely the new standards for getting into the HHOF.

This Post is Stupid!!!!!!!!!!

Long Duck Prong didnt get nearly enough.

And I corrected your headline.

This Suspension is Stupid!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see it that way at all, I think the Refs made a bad call on the ice when they threw out Niedermeyer, I agree that Pronger should have gone instead, but I think that the NHL had time to review the hit that showed what we knew, that it was Pronger at fault not Nidermeyer, I think Pronger should have gotten suspended even if they hadn't thrown out Nidermeyer last night.

Long Duck Prong didnt get nearly enough.

And I corrected your headline.

HE should of been ejected from the game...... Holmstrom shoulda had his helmet on tighter...... rob shoulda got 2 minute charging, and no one should be suspended.

Edited by Duckboy6

I'm absolutely amazed that this happened. Kudos to the Wings organization for not crying like a baby about it. I can't believe that Brian Burke didn't pay off one of his buddies.

Absolutely deserved and deliberate. His smiling afterwards probably dropped the trap door.

I don't see it that way at all, I think the Refs made a bad call on the ice when they threw out Niedermeyer, I agree that Pronger should have gone instead, but I think that the NHL had time to review the hit that showed what we knew, that it was Pronger at fault not Nidermeyer, I think Pronger should have gotten suspended even if they hadn't thrown out Nidermeyer last night.

But they did throw Niedermeyar and even if the game was over they still severely punished one ducks already. Now I believe their making up for the refs making the wrong call.

Notice this is my opinion, and im not saying any of yours are wrong i just disagree with it. And not only because im a ducks fan

I'm totally shocked. I never would have expected this suspension to happen. I agree with it, but I never thought it would happen. I know that Ducks fans are upset because of this, and I can understand that sentiment, but regardless of what the refs called during the game, video replay showed malicious intent. That's why he got suspended. one game is fair.

HE should of been ejected from the game...... Holmstrom shoulda had his helmet on tighter...... rob shoulda got 2 minute charging, and no one should be suspended.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Heres why

One, there was a deliberate motion with his forearms projected at his head followed by a pushing motion. He knew 100% that Homer was in a vulnerable position with Neds comming in for the hit.

IMO, I think that R.N. was finishing his check (granted Homers back was to the players and facing the boards).

Charging is a penalty that occurs when a player takes to or more strides towards an opposing player and leaves his feet with the intent to hit them. None of this occured. A charging call would have been as appropriate as a hooking call. Boarding or Roughing would have been more appropriate. And BTW, the Helmet covers the head and not the face. Look where Holmstroms cuts were. A helmet would have been useless to protect him from Pronger shoving his face into the stantions!

He got what he deserved. I think that one game is fair.

Edited by servo

The way I look at it is this: any time a guy gets ejected for an intent to injure play like that, the league is going to look at it. Everyone knew right away that the refs tabbed the wrong guy, but it doesn't matter. If they had booted Pronger they'd still be looking at the play and they'd still have all the same evidence to make their decision.

Hitting a guy in the head, from behind, with your elbow, driving it into the glass is pretty cut and dried if you ask me.

After having a fairly s***ty day, this just made me happy! Well deserved.

BTW, Holmstrom wears his helmet perfectly tight. Let's just say thought that a player didn't...like for instance Bertuzzi wears his very loose, does that mean it's his fault if he gets slammed the way Homer did? Absolutely not. That's what he is comfortable with. Also the whole helmet situation is pretty irrevelant to this whole thing if you ask me. If that's the case and Homer DID wear his helmet loose then it only makes Pronger look worse for taking a run at a guy who he knows can easily get injured in the head due to his helmet. That's not the case here, but just sayin'.. Ducks fans need to stop bringing that up.

Hmm, I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but I'll bring it up. Several members have been complaining that Ducks fans apparently 'cheered' when Holmstrom was injured. Seems kinda hypocritical to condemn Ducks fans for cheering (after a big hit no less) when you were all celebrating and applauding yesterday when it was announced Kunitz was out for the season with a hand injury.