• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zetterbergfuturemvp

pierre mcguire .......

Rate this topic

I was begining to wonder if anyone else saw that, i didnt see anyone else say anything about it, but that was great

Haha yeah did you watch the game on CBC? I did for the 2nd & 3rd period and thats when I saw it. Maybe those that were watching on VS didn't see it because they probably didn't show it.

Let him smoke all of the cigarettes he wants, just as long as he's off the coke. That's what got him a one-way ticket out of Toronto.

Is that really true?

Regardless, I still like Markov. I want him to stay.

Haha yeah did you watch the game on CBC? I did for the 2nd & 3rd period and thats when I saw it. Maybe those that were watching on VS didn't see it because they probably didn't show it.

Yep, I cant stand the VS announcers lol

He's been known as a pretty heavy smoker since he came into the league.

Hopefully sharing the same owner as the Tigers doesn't lead to a close proximity to Jim Leyland or he'd really be in trouble.

Ahh that explains it, one time earlier this season they were doing an interview with someone outside of the Wings dressing room in between periods and Markov snuck past with a light jacket and a hat on! I was like: "where the fu** is he going!? theres still two more periods to play!" but he may have been going out to smoke.

P.S. He did come back for the second period :P

Edited by Elshupacabra

i just remembered something else mcguire said .......not that it matters now ....i guess he didnt know that liv signed but he was talking about how great of a gm holland and burke(sigh) are and how they develop players and stuff and he mentioned how howard was a year away and how detroit had this unbelievable goalie that there still waitiing to see what he can contribute ......guess since hes gone now it doesnt matter ........ah well

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Yeah I remember hearing this, and that he would have to stick his head inside a dryer or something to do it between periods in Toronto. There's no denying it affects your lung capacity, I can't help but wonder if he'd be better without the habit.

And like it was mentioned before, why not just start packin lips?

I remember reading the book Blood Feud the author stated that Alexei Gusarov used to smoke in between periods during the great Wings/Aves rivalry. I thought that was crazy, crazy and hysterical. I'm what you'd call a casual smoker. Don't have any around the home or work but will buy a pack for a softball game or if i'm out on the town. There's no doubt that it affects your ability to play. I would smoke before and after hockey games a few years back and I remember that when I decided to stop doing that I felt I was 10lbs lighter, faster, stronger and could play 10-12 minutes a shift without breaking a sweat. Imagining how fit you have to be to play in the NHL and still smoke is a ridiculous concept to me. Whatever works for ya Danny boy.

Hell, Hull would smoke stogs during his day and his career was just fine. Besides, Zetterberg smokes ALL the time too, and I know this for a fact. I mean, he's european, just like you guys said so it shouldnt suprise anyone. And by smoking.....i mean the competition! Boo Ya! High five on that one anyone?? get it? smoke...the competition? great crowd, great crowd.

ah but on a serious note....to answer the rest of the post it makes sense that Lang wouldnt come back really. Mediocre production, an abundance of centers, young centers at that that need to start playing at some point, and a heavy price tag. So unless Lang expresses some deep desire to stay with the wings and offers a price cut that they just couldn't refuse, i dont see him stayin on. However I would just assume that the cash they would be saving on him would go to A, resigning Bertuzzi, and B, saving up to resign Zets. But just because Mcguire says a guy isnt coming back doesnt mean jack. I mean, who recalls not too long ago when Hull said there was 0% chance of Datsyuk coming back to the wings and about 2 days later the red wings signed him to an 18 year contract? Point is, nobody knows anything except for the suits that sign the contracts. And me, I know everything as well. Im just not spillin till somebody pays me.

Lang isn't good enough to resign and Bertuzzi is obviously still playing hurt. If he isn't going to get better then he shouldn't resign either.

As for Markov, I really don't care if he smokes as long as he plays well.

I met Dmitry Yushkevich in a park in Toronto a few times (He lived somewhat close to me) when he had the triplets out to play. He told me the reason they shipped off Markov was because he was starting to hang around addicts and the such.

During the summer of '01, he really started getting into it hardcore, and that's when Danny's family and agent asked that he be moved away from those people that were introducing him to that kind of stuff. I can only assume he's been off it ever since, I'm not totally sure.

I'm a non-smoker and think smoking is the stupidest habit in the world - it only does physical damage to the body and any perceived benefits are purely psychological. However there's an old story, perhaps apocryphal, about President Abraham Lincoln and General Ulysses S. Grant that may be germane here.

In the Civil War, the Northern army had been having a bad time of it for three years until Grant was put in charge of the Northern forces, and the story goes like this (as taken from one of Grant's on-line biographies):

When a group of officials came to see Lincoln about the rumors of Grant's drinking, Lincoln is supposed to have said, "If it [drink] makes fighting men like Grant, then find out what he drinks, and send my other commanders a case!". In the end, almost none of the gossip and rumors of Grant's supposed alcoholism were true. First hand accounts by his closest associates, as well as numerous visitors to his headquarters, and accounts of those that saw him throughout the War, speak to Grant's complete sobriety, polite manner, and intense concentration. Grant suffered from intense migraine headaches due to stress, and he was often nearly disabled by them. It is thought that much of the rumor of Grant's drinking stem from the misunderstanding of his headaches as signs of "hangover".

No one is going to be able "to cure" Markov from that stupid habit, but I (as a confirmed non-smoker) say, re-sign him and put free cigarets in his contract! (This last comment is "tongue in cheek")

I met Dmitry Yushkevich in a park in Toronto a few times (He lived somewhat close to me) when he had the triplets out to play. He told me the reason they shipped off Markov was because he was starting to hang around addicts and the such.

During the summer of '01, he really started getting into it hardcore, and that's when Danny's family and agent asked that he be moved away from those people that were introducing him to that kind of stuff. I can only assume he's been off it ever since, I'm not totally sure.

That could explain why he had such a hard time getting a contract this past offseason. The guy is injury prone, but teams usually jump for steady-as-a-rock guys like Markov.

That said, I'd think a dressing room like the Wings have would be really good for keeping him under control.

I'd like to see him return.

Hell, Hull would smoke stogs during his day and his career was just fine. Besides, Zetterberg smokes ALL the time too, and I know this for a fact. I mean, he's european, just like you guys said so it shouldnt suprise anyone. And by smoking.....i mean the competition! Boo Ya! High five on that one anyone?? get it? smoke...the competition? great crowd, great crowd.

:yowza::lol::clap:

I was reading that and was like, what! Z smokes?!?!? I guess that explains his ONE yellow tooth.

one cigarette a day prevents heartburn in some cases....pregame jitters or stress can cause severe heartburn, a cigarette can fix that...

Just go ahead and try that. I would guess by the second or third week you'll either quit or be hooked. So I wouldn't recommend that. Cigarettes aren't like beer or wine, you can't just do one a day.

Also, I don't know where you got your info, but its common knowledge that cigarettes make heartburn worse.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I'm a non-smoker and think smoking is the stupidest habit in the world - it only does physical damage to the body and any perceived benefits are purely psychological. However there's an old story, perhaps apocryphal, about President Abraham Lincoln and General Ulysses S. Grant that may be germane here.

In the Civil War, the Northern army had been having a bad time of it for three years until Grant was put in charge of the Northern forces, and the story goes like this (as taken from one of Grant's on-line biographies):

When a group of officials came to see Lincoln about the rumors of Grant's drinking, Lincoln is supposed to have said, "If it [drink] makes fighting men like Grant, then find out what he drinks, and send my other commanders a case!". In the end, almost none of the gossip and rumors of Grant's supposed alcoholism were true. First hand accounts by his closest associates, as well as numerous visitors to his headquarters, and accounts of those that saw him throughout the War, speak to Grant's complete sobriety, polite manner, and intense concentration. Grant suffered from intense migraine headaches due to stress, and he was often nearly disabled by them. It is thought that much of the rumor of Grant's drinking stem from the misunderstanding of his headaches as signs of "hangover".

No one is going to be able "to cure" Markov from that stupid habit, but I (as a confirmed non-smoker) say, re-sign him and put free cigarets in his contract! (This last comment is "tongue in cheek")

I have yet to meet a smoker who thought smoking was a "smart" thing to do. But thanks for sharing.