• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raasc1dj

If Hasek were to retire...

Rate this topic

Dom needs to stay.

I hope his wife lets him!!!

Me, too. I have an article somewhere, from ESPN magazine, on the unretirement season when he came back to participate in the Cujo Circus season. Alena was the one who wanted to leave in 2002, not Dom. She reminded Dom of his promise to her, that when he won a Cup, he would be done. All of their family are in Czech. His kids grew up unable to talk to their own grandparents and family members, they're so Americanized and can't speak Czech well. This can't be an easy thing for Dom, or any other player whose family isn't North American.

Remember when Nick used to say he was going to take his family and go home and raise hs kids in Sweden? Alfredsson has said the same in the past. Both are now Captains of their teams, so I guess they've decided work overrides the family concerns.

With Dom, it's 50/50 whether he stays or goes. I hope he does the right thing for all concerned, but I am glad I am not him right now. Hopefully, his wife will remember how unhappy he was when he retired, but knew he could still play, and give him one more year with us.

Edited by puckloo39

Me, too. I have an article somewhere, from ESPN magazine, on the unretirement season when he came back to participate in the Cujo Circus season. Alena was the one who wanted to leave in 2002, not Dom. She reminded Dom of his promise to her, that when he won a Cup, he would be done. All of their family are in Czech. His kids grew up unable to talk to their own grandparents and family members, they're so Americanized and can't speak Czech well. This can't be an easy thing for Dom, or any other player whose family isn't North American.

Remember when Nick used to say he was going to take his family and go home and raise hs kids in Sweden? Alfredsson has said the same in the past. Both are now Captains of their teams, so I guess they've decided work overrides the family concerns.

With Dom, it's 50/50 whether he stays or goes. I hope he does the right thing for all concerned, but I am glad I am not him right now. Hopefully, his wife will remember how unhappy he was when he retired, but knew he could still play, and give him one more year with us.

Ultimately, if the final plan after retirement is to move back to the Czech Republic, it would be unfair of his wife to force him out before he's good and ready. I would be perfectly happy with Ozzie as the starter next year, but at the price Dom would come at you would have to be stupid not to want him if you have a goaltending position open.

As for the kids, if it was so damn important to her that they speak good Czech...why doesn't she speak it to them all the time at home?

Guest ZDH

I think the kids should be able to talk chisled english like their dad. It's much more cooler...

"Oh well you know I have to think about what I want to do you know next year because my wife will not give me any if I don't go back home to Czech Republic you know so I, I, I don't know what I will do if I don't get any you know I I I need it one time maybe 2 you know so I, I, I, I oh well you know I want to play another year you know with the Red Wings you know but I, I, I don't know we will have to see what happens you know, I, I, I don't know you know."

"So, be honest. You think that Chris Osgood couldn't have won the Cup in 1997, when his top four defensemen would have included Vladimir Konstantinov instead of Anders Eriksson?

[/font]

Or how about 2002, when Dominik Hasek had the two best defensemen in the world at the time?

Osgood=Only Wings netminder to win the Cup while Lidstrom was the only Norris contender on the team.

I am soooo sick of the 'well, Ozzie didn't really win the Cup like Vernie and Hasek did' s*** given that his squad was easily the worst team of the three"

Nowhere did I say he couldn't have won the cup in '97 or '02, or they would have won in '98 regardless of who they started. What I did say was that their cup win in '98 was due in large part due to the tragedy that followed the previous year; that is an absolute fact. Did you forget the goals he let in from center ice during that run? Um, yeah.

The overall point I am making is that Osgood never was and never will be an elite level goalie, and at this point in his career he just is not a capable starter. If Hasek retires, going with Osgood is a mistake, and will not end with the Wings winning the cup.

Niyo's take on Hasek's return

"As I've been saying for awhile now, Hasek's likely coming back for one more year. Dom's wife and daughter may be eager to go back to the Czech Republic, but his son's got one more year of high school left and is thinking about going to college here in the U.S., and Dom, obviously, has the desire to play. So I'm guessing the boys will win this family coin flip. One more year of Hasek-Osgood tandem, then it's Howard's turn."

I've said the same, that Michael's desire to finish high school here will influence Dom to stay one more year with the Wings. Let's hope the Hasek boys win this debate! :)

All I want to know about our Goaltending is:

Where is the future of the position for the Wings, like a Luongo!

Hasek isn't a spring chicken, we need him to teach while he is still around. Granted he is one of the most unorthodox goaltenders of this era, his experience should prove valuable to a young goalie.?

Are we willing to take it on the chin for a couple of years to grow this talent? :

I'm tired of the same old rhetorical blabbering I hear about this issue every time the goaltending was questionable at best. A good goalie should manage a win or two during a Cup run on his own when the team shows up short, and if you get that, well that's all you can ask for!

Lastly, all of the goaltenders through the years have benefited from strong Defensive morale and strategy(Anaheim Lucky too!), so how difficult is it to understand that no one person can save a series to win the CUP outright. It's fnn rediculous to think that the fans in this room are so bored as to start a question that requires a simplistic analogy to surmise the answer. I like Dom, he had the answer in more than just one game during this playoff series, nevertheless he needs to be replaced by the end of next year at the latest. So if he goes, well, he goes!

Wish we would've had Dom from the beginning of his career, as I'm sure we would have more to look at in the Rafters! :clap:

Go Wings 2008!

Every single year we supposedly lose because of goaltending...and yet...that's not why.

Having Luongo would not have ensured us the Cup. It sure didn't ensure the Nucks a Cup...

I wanna be a goalie. Family, friends, and co-workers tell me that I suck and blame me for all of their work and personal problems. Might as well just go for the gusto being the ultimate scapegoat as a hockey goalie for Detroit. I'll probably also tear my ACL again in the process.

So let's see...

1. Me humiliating myself being an awful goalie.

2. People blaming me for everything and throwing stuff at me and pointing/laughing at me.

3. A screwed up knee, a trip to the hospital, and reconstructive surgery.

Sounds like a winning combination, somebody give me a damn contract!

:hehe:

If Hasek were to retire... It wouldn't be the first time :lol:

Sorry, I have been wanting to say that since this thread title was born.

If Hasek were to retire... It wouldn't be the first time :lol:

Sorry, I have been wanting to say that since this thread title was born.

If he comes back next season as everyone seems to want him to (and why not?), I would expect it to be the last time we will see Dom in the NHL. That will be a sad day for me and a couple of million other hockey fans, but time marches on. Even Dom has his limits.

A true champion, Hasek truly doesn't know how to quit. :clap:

Wilson has both Evgeni Nabokov and Vesa Toskala under contract for more time, but doesn’t see both being around next season.

“I don’t think many could do what they did,†said Wilson of both handling the rotating netminder situation with such a professional level. “A lot was to honor Warren and both wanted to win the Cup. We will hold conversations, but it is highly unlikely both will be back.â€Â

http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3530

The odds are on Vesa jumping ship (although I'd rather see him stay than Nabby). If he does become available, Detroit would be fools not to take him. He's an excellent goalie, and when pushed can come up big. Plus he wants to play hockey for the full season, not every other game. He's good enough to do it, and if the Sharks won't let him he should be somewhere that will.

I'd trade Kronwall or Hudler. Kronwall because he is awful, and Hudler because he'll have a hard time making it here.

Please note: I don't want all the Kronwall lovers coming after me because I don't think he's a good player. That's just my opinion. Let's keep this on topic. kthx

i would trade kronwall he is becoming very injury prone

If Dom doesn't return:

Who says Anaheim will let Giguere go, since he is winning the playoffs all by himself? :D Giggy makes just under $4 millon, so how many players (and whom) will we have to dump to get him? Beware the Martin Gerber syndrome. Over-paying on a contract doesn't get you a great goalie, necessarily. Holland knows that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Toskala here, if he's available. He is making $1.3 Million, so he's at least more affordable. Who knows? Out from under Nabby's shadow in SJ, Vesa could turn into the second coming of Kipper.

Before I'd get either of these guys or anything else, I'd rather see Ozzie and Howard tandem.

But I think Dom will be back, anyway, since Nick and the team want him back, and so does Holland. It's all up to Dom now.

what about bryzalgalov of anahiem

If Dom doesn't come back, we'll need to pick up a solid but cheap goalie. There is no way in hell we could get Giguere if we wanna also pick up a good forward to replace Lang.

I'm alllll for Backstrom, he'd probably sign onto a cup contending team for a mil. Toskala, though is an awesome goalie, will probably be looking for a contract in the 2-3 mil range......no way we can afford him.

people there is a difference between playing goalie in minnesota or anywhere else and detroit remember joseph great goalie elsewhere

i would trade kronwall he is becoming very injury prone

Ok, but who would take him since he is so "injury prone"? And who would you trade Kronwall for then?

I'd personally like to see the Wings take their chances with Kronwall, and with his long-term contract here, they look to be doing that so far.

There was news at Finnish Newspaper Iltalehti today, that San Jose Sharks are going to trade another of their goalies, Vesa Toskala or Jevgeni Nabokov. GM Doud Wilson has said that this will happen at his summer for sure.

Nabokov is not so tradeable beacuse his high salary, but what about Toskala?

don t the sharks have some goalie in the minors that was a high draft pick i say look into it look what the flames got off the sharks discards

I like the Toskala/osgood then toskala/howard option. But is Toskala really that proven?

Asking that question honestly, he had 12 wins in 28 starts 2 years ago and 23 wins in 37 starts last year. Good stats but he has a very talented team in front of him. Has he been winning or stealing games for them? I just haven't heard to much of him and wondering if he is going to be that good or if it is the fact that for some reason San Jose turns out good goalies like it is their job!

the wings dont need a guy to make 50 saves a night they need them to make a couple big ones and stop the easy ones

"So, be honest. You think that Chris Osgood couldn't have won the Cup in 1997, when his top four defensemen would have included Vladimir Konstantinov instead of Anders Eriksson?

[/font]

Or how about 2002, when Dominik Hasek had the two best defensemen in the world at the time?

Osgood=Only Wings netminder to win the Cup while Lidstrom was the only Norris contender on the team.

I am soooo sick of the 'well, Ozzie didn't really win the Cup like Vernie and Hasek did' s*** given that his squad was easily the worst team of the three"

Nowhere did I say he couldn't have won the cup in '97 or '02, or they would have won in '98 regardless of who they started. What I did say was that their cup win in '98 was due in large part due to the tragedy that followed the previous year; that is an absolute fact. Did you forget the goals he let in from center ice during that run? Um, yeah.

The overall point I am making is that Osgood never was and never will be an elite level goalie, and at this point in his career he just is not a capable starter. If Hasek retires, going with Osgood is a mistake, and will not end with the Wings winning the cup.

those wings also had that something that u can t put your finger on ozzie let in a horrible goal in every series in 98 the roenick shot from the blue line the maciins shot from the red line the langenbruner shot from the red line and the bondra shot he gave up on that team was stronger mentally then the 97 or 20002 wings

http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3530

The odds are on Vesa jumping ship (although I'd rather see him stay than Nabby). If he does become available, Detroit would be fools not to take him. He's an excellent goalie, and when pushed can come up big. Plus he wants to play hockey for the full season, not every other game. He's good enough to do it, and if the Sharks won't let him he should be somewhere that will.

i say take toskala for a year if he wins big in the postseason and regular season sign him up if not its a one year deal and howard can take over

those wings also had that something that u can t put your finger on ozzie let in a horrible goal in every series in 98 the roenick shot from the blue line the maciins shot from the red line the langenbruner shot from the red line and the bondra shot he gave up on that team was stronger mentally then the 97 or 20002 wings

I can think of a few stinkers that went in THIS past post season and we didn't even win the cup...

you mean this cup run?

Defeated the Phoenix Coyotes in Series “G†(4-2)

Defeated the St. Louis Blues in Series “L†(4-2)

Defeated the Dallas Stars in Series “N†(4-2)

Defeated the Washington Capitals in Series “O†(4-0)

As for Ozzies blunders.... as far as the Langenbruner shot.... we won the GAME (got a Shut Out the very next game) and won the SERIES.... and what do you mean the Bondra shot was stronger mentally? I mean us winning the series 4-0 doesn't really allow the other team to get into series... does it? I guess I just don't follow your concerns? :huh:

Edited by OsGOD

Ozzies always let in softies , But the way he comes back after them are amazing. The Langenbrunner one during the Dallas series stands out the most. He shut them out next game , his mental toughness in the 98 playoffs was great.

Ozzies always let in softies , But the way he comes back after them are amazing. The Langenbrunner one during the Dallas series stands out the most. He shut them out next game , his mental toughness in the 98 playoffs was great.

Every goalie lets in soft goals from time to time, it's not just Osgood syndrome.

Kronwall is a relatively untested defenseman with a $3m/year contract. No team will take him.

Ok, but who would take him since he is so "injury prone"? And who would you trade Kronwall for then?

So,we have a injury prone defenseman with a $3m/year contract and no team will take him.

Must have been one of Kenny's most stupid re-signings then?

So,we have a injury prone defenseman with a $3m/year contract and no team will take him.

We shall see.

I'm just trying to get an idea of who the poster would suggest of getting for Kronwall, since he apparently wants him traded.

As for me personally, I never meant that I wanted Kronwall traded or didn't like him. I don't think it was a bad re-signing at all, at least yet. I refuse to believe that Kronwall will get another long-term injury and keep having bad breaks. He's not going to be "Nick Jr." or a superstar defenseman by next season, but I think I like what this kid can do.

College = 4 years...Dom could be here for 5 more years...him and Ozzie could retire together :lol:

:lol: Along with grandpa Cheli.

Have faith, colleague. We just gotta believe Kenny played his cards right and Kronner will come good. :thumbup:

I can think of a few stinkers that went in THIS past post season and we didn't even win the cup...

you mean this cup run?

Defeated the Phoenix Coyotes in Series “G†(4-2)

Defeated the St. Louis Blues in Series “L†(4-2)

Defeated the Dallas Stars in Series “N†(4-2)

Defeated the Washington Capitals in Series “O†(4-0)

As for Ozzies blunders.... as far as the Langenbruner shot.... we won the GAME (got a Shut Out the very next game) and won the SERIES.... and what do you mean the Bondra shot was stronger mentally? I mean us winning the series 4-0 doesn't really allow the other team to get into series... does it? I guess I just don't follow your concerns? :huh:

we did not win that game it was an ot winner by langanbruner