• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zetterbergfuturemvp

Should the Wings target UFA-to-be Giguere?

Rate this topic

Goaltending was never the Red Wings problem . Before this season we wern't "tough enough". this season the Wings where just downright unlucky with injuries. look were the Wings got to with a half fit Zetterberg going into the Playoff's , minus Kronwall , at best Bertuzzi was only at 70% and without Schnieds going into the Ducks series.

Goaltending was never the Red Wings problem . Before this season we wern't "tough enough". this season the Wings where just downright unlucky with injuries. look were the Wings got to with a half fit Zetterberg going into the Playoff's , minus Kronwall , at best Bertuzzi was only at 70% and without Schnieds going into the Ducks series.

^^This is NOT an excuse people^^

Read the above post 100x if needed. NOT making excuses. NOT.

The Ducks played the Detroit Red Wings Lite. This is how I view this latest playoff run.

Guest ZDH

The Ducks played the Detroit Red Wings Lite. This is how I view this latest playoff run.

I totally agree. I still can't believe we made it to the Final 4 missing 2 of our top 4 dmen. Babcock and Holland echoed the same thoughts.

Hank was clearly not 100% as we all knew. And Bert was nowhere close to being healthy.

4 things win the Cup.

Talent, heart, health and luck. We had 2 of the 4. Hopefully next season we have all 4. The talent and heart are both there right now.

Detroit Red Wings Lite, it's less filling (of the net, with pucks).

No. And here's why.

Some may laugh and some might be very upset by this prospect, but the NHL is going to have larger nets within the next 2-4 years. I really, really believe it. Al Strachan (an asshat) said recently on www.thescore.ca recently that this will be coming in shortly and I believe him (you can see the video of it on that site as well). Jay Feaster was on XM204 on Friday and he said that John Tortorelli wants them also. There are also a number of other NHL people that are pushing for the idea. The whole concept is that the NHL is tired of having one player that can have such a strangle hold on a game. Only a pitcher has the same kind of control but you only see him once every 5 days. Quaterbacks were also given a similar comparison but they are an offensive weapon.

Like I said, whether you hate the idea or not, larger nets are coming to the NHL sooner rather than later. And what does this have to do about Giggy? Well, if the NHL does give us larger nets in the next 2-4 years, that would mean that Giggy would most certainly still be on our roster during that time frame. And if the nets are bigger, GIggy's worth goes down a lot more than any other NHL goalie. Sure, everyones SA% and GAA will go up, but at least with other goalies such as Brodeur, DiPietro, Miller, Luongo, you get an athletic, acrobatic goalie that can and will make tough saves. Giggy doesn't do that. He's all butterfly, being big and getting in the right position. With 6-8" of wider and taller nets, he'll get lit up. How many times did we see him get beat cleanly in this series (or others) only to have the puck barely graze the post or crossbar? I can name several instances. If the net was just a little bit bigger, and not even 6-8", this series would have been a sweep for Detroit. And even with the nets we have now, he still posted a 2.83 GAA in this series. Not exactly Vezina type numbers - especially for playoffs. He'd probably have a 4.00+ GAA with bigger nets.

So that's my line of thinking. It might sound retarded to some here, but I truly, truly believe the NHL is on the verge of larger nets and if I had to bet I'd say they're here by 2010. Giggy will want at least a 4 year deal, which would mean his contract would expire in the 2010-2011 season. That's at least 2 seasons of watching him wave at pucks flying in over his inflated shoulders.

Sorry but i tend to think it is an excuse. Bertuzzi being at 70% was the known risk when he was acquired. You cant say it was bad luck that he wasnt 100%, as he wasnt 100% when we got him in the first place! Kronwall gets hurt every year and is something you just have to plan for depth wise. Not a shock there. Also dont forget Chris Kunitz, who scored 60 pts in the regular season, was out for the Ducks.

It wasn't an excuse that the Wings were not running anywhere close to 100%, it was just obvious to everyone who's watched them more than twice. I was really surprised we got as far as we did, honestly. Held my breath through most of each game with Anaheim. Homer was never the same after Mr. Physics slammed his head into the stantion, and it was clear Zata and several others were playing hurt. Missing Kronner and Schneider, the Wings did so well to make it to 6 games.. and never got blown out, besides. They were great!

I agree with lots of others in saying we don't need Giguere to win a Cup. We have what we need, or at least we will if Babs, Kenny, and the rest of the Wings locker room get their way. We get Dom back (and Bert) and this team will be playing in the Finals next season...

Det News: Foster on the Wings

'Old' works for Wings

The Red Wings must roll with the old guys one more season if the price is right. They can win a Stanley Cup with Dominik Hasek in goal and Todd Bertuzzi on the front line. They did not lose to Anaheim because of Hasek. He will be 43 years old, and injuries are a risk. But it is a risk worth taking.

Bertuzzi was never healthy during the playoffs. I am sure he will be after the offseason. Unless he is asking for a ridiculous amount of money, which I doubt, the Wings should sign him to an incentive-laden, two-year deal

Edited by puckloo39

It wasn't an excuse that the Wings were not running anywhere close to 100%, it was just obvious to everyone who's watched them more than twice. I was really surprised we got as far as we did, honestly. Held my breath through most of each game with Anaheim. Homer was never the same after Mr. Physics slammed his head into the stantion, and it was clear Zata and several others were playing hurt. Missing Kronner and Schneider, the Wings did so well to make it to 6 games.. and never got blown out, besides. They were great!

Schneider is the only injury i'll listen to. I mean come on, theres a reason why Bertuzzi didnt have alot of suitors at the deadline. HE WAS AN INJURY RISK! That was the gamble when he was acquired and why he came cheap. He wasnt healthy when he came here. Its like if Hasek had injured his groin, you cant use that as an excuse since that was the gamble when he was signed. And again...can anybody say with a straight face that Kronwall getting hurt again was a shock? How do we know that guys on the Ducks werent banged up as well? I recall numerous times hearing commentators say that Scott Niedermayer didnt appear healthy. Injuries are a part of playoff hockey. Blaming it for the loss, especially in this case, is an excuse.

I say YES to Jiggy!

Jiggy was awsome during the playoffs so far. He showed strength and def. rezillancy. SP? Hes is a great goalie although he is not the best puck handler in the league hes better at it than Dom. He wont leave the net for useless reasons. Plus he doesnt have a bad rep for failing to get a call. :thumbup:

Dom is getting older, and if he retires later than July first we are going to be stuck with only one goal. Dont get me wrong, i like dom but he is injury pron and he like to wonder a little too much which 20% of the time leads to the other team scoring. He also like to play dead to get calls, when the refs dont call it we get burned a loose a goal for no reason. Plus his puck handling def. not the best in the league for goalies. :thumbdown:

Osgood lead us to two stanleys in the 90's but the nhl has changed aswell as the players in it.

I don't think liv and Howard are fully ready to stay in the NHL for a full season. The experience would help them but with the team we have... i dont know if its the right time to bring in a rookie goalie. :thumbdown:

IF Dom retires late during the offseason after Jiggy is already signed who are we going to get? A back up for Ozzy or somebody for Ozzy to back up? :thumbdown:

The only thing i am saying is dont waste time trying to figure out the goal tending. I dont want to see another Cojo choice from Holland. (we should have gone with belfor instead). <_<

No to Giggy, great goalie but we got to develop howard. I say let Ozzie start next year with Howard as back up. and when the playoffs come you just go with whos hot. You never know maybe Howard could pull a Cam Ward in last years playoffs.

IF Dom retires late during the offseason after Jiggy is already signed who are we going to get? A back up for Ozzy or somebody for Ozzy to back up? :thumbdown:

The only thing i am saying is dont waste time trying to figure out the goal tending. I dont want to see another Cojo choice from Holland. (we should have gone with belfor instead). <_<

Dom will not leave us twisting in the wind while he decides. I believe that he will make his announcement (cues in The Clash's: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go") shortly after the SCF game.

If he stays, terrific (I'm thinking he will, his son has one more year of HS).

If he goes, then I'm thinking it's Ozzie. Dunno if it's the best choice, but I don't think they'll go after Jiggy at any rate.

If Hasek comes back then the answer is NO. Why? Because the Wings seem to feel that Howard is the goalie of the future and that would delay his promotion, or make him so depressed at the wait that as soon as he was a free agent he'd go elsewhere; furthermore, at the start of his career Howard would cost a lot less than Giguere. Also, Giguere's salary would probably inhibit the acquisition of a good, power forward.

However, there is always this to think about: If Hasek leaves and Giguere is acquired, could Giguere then be trade bait for a first-line power forward and another player when Howard is ready? As good a "horse trader" as Ken Holland is, I'm sure that could be a possibility.

Interesting that everyone talks about Howard, when two years ago everyone was saying "bring Liv over."

However, there is always this to think about: If Hasek leaves and Giguere is acquired, could Giguere then be trade bait for a first-line power forward and another player when Howard is ready? As good a "horse trader" as Ken Holland is, I'm sure that could be a possibility.

Theres a big problem with that line of thinking. Think about it, if Giguere is playing really good...why would you even want to go with Howard? And on the flip side, if Giguere's not living up to his 5 mill or whatever contract he'll get...why would any team want to trade for him?

I think most of you guys are dead on regarding Dom coming back and him and Ozzie tandeming again. A couple of you...well, I am really glad there's no way you will ever be a hockey GM anywhere, never mind Detroit. :P

Redrockit, you're probably right. Dom is waiting for the playoffs to be over and the Cup awarded (**sob**), before saying what he's going to do. I also believe he will stay for one more year, for more than a couple of reasons. His son in HS, one more run at the Cup, the Wings and management all making it clear they really don't want anyone else... and who says Anaheim will be interested in giving up Giguere anyway? They are probably laughing at the notion.

Stu, that's an interesting thought about Giguere, but what if no one else wants him at his salary? We're stuck again with a big contract goalie no one will trade for? But you could be right, Holland is pretty danged smart and certainly knows things we don't.

edit: ^^ Lou and Loo are on the same page about the buy-trade Giggy thingie. :)

Edited by puckloo39

I think Dom's coming back next season . If not I would have no fear's about starting with Ozzie. Once he get's a few game's in a row under his belt he'd be fine. Giggy would be way to expensive for my liking. The money would be better off spent on resigning Bert and Schnieds.

It's this simple:

Hasek comes back: no thanks to Giggy.

Hasek retires: Uhhh... Kenny? Please do something... I'm... starting... to... PANIC...!

i think the key is to find a forward with a big shot to play the half board on the pp give lids and schiender someone else with a big shot

If Hasek comes back then the answer is NO. Why? Because the Wings seem to feel that Howard is the goalie of the future and that would delay his promotion, or make him so depressed at the wait that as soon as he was a free agent he'd go elsewhere; furthermore, at the start of his career Howard would cost a lot less than Giguere. Also, Giguere's salary would probably inhibit the acquisition of a good, power forward.

Interesting that everyone talks about Howard, when two years ago everyone was saying "bring Liv over."

i think hasek is first choice then you go to toskala for a one year deal because the sharks have 3 goalies that are ready to play also i think people need to understand three words incentive laden contracts give those to bertuzzi and hasek and if the sabres can t resign him go after vanek

nope

Kindasorta yep, if you consider of any significance the fact that Oz was starting goalie for the '97 regular season. He got us to playoffs, then Vernon stepped in and sealed the deal.

Unless by "nope' you are objecting to the term 'led'-- Stevie obviously was the one who led us to the '90s Cups!

Dom will not leave us twisting in the wind while he decides. I believe that he will make his announcement (cues in The Clash's: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go") shortly after the SCF game.

If he stays, terrific (I'm thinking he will, his son has one more year of HS).

If he goes, then I'm thinking it's Ozzie. Dunno if it's the best choice, but I don't think they'll go after Jiggy at any rate.

does anyone have a full list of ufas

It's this simple:

Hasek comes back: no thanks to Giggy.

Hasek retires: Uhhh... Kenny? Please do something... I'm... starting... to... PANIC...!

It won't look as hot without him. And I'm loathe to panic, but like you I'll definitely prefer he not take his pads and go home.

At least for one more year, at least for one hard shot at the Cup and win.

And also... Montrealhater, yeah, we could use a guy to finish on the PPs and even in general. We talk about our goalies a lot in this town, but having a solid man to help open up the ice on those would aid us - immensely. Zero doubt.

Kindasorta yep, if you consider of any significance the fact that Oz was starting goalie for the '97 regular season. He got us to playoffs, then Vernon stepped in and sealed the deal.

Unless by "nope' you are objecting to the term 'led'-- Stevie obviously was the one who led us to the '90s Cups!

Y'know what? I think we agree all the way around.

Also - you coulda put me in net for the 97 Wings. That defense would have never noticed. I'd have 5 playoff shutouts. Players would skate by after the game and bump my helmet. "G'game Vernie"