• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Offsides

Random Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

I agree with both of you, but at the same time I've met some wonderful people online. Some of them I've ended up meeting in person and they became great friends and others I just have here on the net but I still consider them good friends.

I have had the same experience, Dawn. There are some good folks here and in cyberspace in general. I guess I wasn't referring to anyone in this forum. We more or less know who they are, since they have to register. Besides, I think member and mods do a pretty good job of keeping a lid on truly hateful posts. I know a couple of posters who stepped over the line, but they are of no consequence in my life. Their words are just so much trash to me.

It's reading the comments from people who respond to news articles online who scare me. They mask their hatred and disdain for others in "political" viewpoints which frankly are very frightening to me as a human being. I picture them gunning down public servants and opening fire randomly in busy fast food restaurants. People with that much hate in them have to let it out somehow, somewhere. They don't care who they hurt.

As Karen said, it seems that people now believe they have the right to say whatever they want, without consequence. I wonder who raised these people, and why they think anyone cares about their venomous spewage. I hope they are a very small minority and that the decent people feel as I do: it would be a waste of time and energy to try and enforce some sense of decorum and courtesy with people like them.

I agree with both of you, but at the same time I've met some wonderful people online. Some of them I've ended up meeting in person and they became great friends and others I just have here on the net but I still consider them good friends.

We have had quite a few get togethers from this site, and it has always been enjoyable to me. I think the most we ever had was around 14 including some nonLGW friends/family. The only hate is when the boys play like crap.

On topic...this may offend some folks, and it's not my intention to do so, but when they took prayer out of the schools, we raised God-less kids that are so politically-correctly-entitled that lack a moral compass. Not to say that God is the answer for all kids/people, but the majority of the folks in this country believe in some kind of "Higher Power" imho, and to take God out of everyday conversation has hurt this land.If you have 3 different faiths in a classroom, say 3 different prayers. It may help the kids understand a culture or faith that is different from their own. The Atheists and agnostics can come up with their own statement of being and be understood.

I also think that people have lost their people skills due to technology. Some folks don't give a rats ass about the person they are talking face to face with...they'' take a call,text or a tweet in a heartbeat, while the other person is supposed to wait their turn to communicate, taking a backseat to the "device". I don't care if it's the social norm these days. It's rude and I for one don't tolerate it. /rant

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

I completely agree with you HM. People these days seem to think that our religious beliefs should not be discussed or honored. I think that the more exposure to get to what others believe the more tolerance and understand we can have for everyone. But instead the political correctness has seemed to take over and you have to worry about offending someone which is a no no these days.

I know you used to have those get together for games, I had considered maybe trying to attend but the timing never worked out, plus you're quite a drive for me which doesn't help.

I'm going to surprise those of you who know me by disagreeing with prayer in school.

Praying to all deities would take forever, and still would not respect the wishes of those who deny all deities.

The generic "to whom it may concern" type prayer is an insult to all, and a real heartfelt prayer to none.

I would believe in a moment of silence to collect one's thoughts or offer up prayer in times of crisis, such as 9/11 or such things.

Where we've gone wrong is teaching kids about rights without teaching them about responsibilities. We've taught them a nominal "self-respect" without teaching them to earn the respect of others. We've taught them that they are "special just the way they are" without teaching them that others are equally special.

We've taught them to demand to be treated well without teaching them that they must earn it. We've taught them that respect is a noun, but failed to teach that it is a verb. We've taught them to feel good about themselves, but failed to teach them to do things that they can feel good about.

There are two kinds of respect. There's the respect that we should have for each other as fellow human beings, and there's the respect that is earned.

One is there to protect people from harm from other people. Martin Luther, the German theologian, explained the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" in this way: We should neither hurt nor harm our neighbour, but help and befriend him in every bodily need.

In other words, we should hold the condition of being human up to a level that we will not allow our brothers and sisters to fall if we can help them to stand, nor should we cause them to fall by our actions against them, whether intentional or not.

The other kind of respect is that which makes one truly special. It makes one stand out. It is reserved for those who have done something or who live in such a way that they are recognized as different from the rest of us. They are the wise, the strong, the well-guided. They show us what we can be if we get off our duffs. There is no shame in not being one, so long as we learn from their example and strive to become one.

No wonder kids today are confused. They learn that they have "choices" but when they choose to do something, they are told that it was the wrong choice. Not much of a choice, is it? Don't tell me I can choose chocolate or vanilla, but you're out of vanilla.

How can they feel true self-respect if they do nothing worthy of such an honour? They know it on the inside, and must act with bravado to cover the emptiness within. This is where we get anger and frustration. With no moral guidance, they act out, buoyed by our insistence that they are special and that there is no right or wrong, only choices.

When they are called into account for their actions, how can they possibly understand the sudden reversals of fortune? We give them a new set of rules, but judge them by the old ones, to which they are not privy.

I see it in my Sunday School kids all of the time. I try to teach them that something is wrong, and I can tell which ones have involved parents who are actually teaching them morals, and which ones are allowing the schools to raise their kids to believe that we can not judge anything.

Try arguing with a first-grader who has been taught that no one can tell anyone else what is right and wrong. You tell him that it's wrong to hit people, and he responds, "Unless you feel like it. Then it's a choice."

This is not a bad kid. This is a product of our society.

We have had quite a few get togethers from this site, and it has always been enjoyable to me. I think the most we ever had was around 14 including some nonLGW friends/family. The only hate is when the boys play like crap.

On topic...this may offend some folks, and it's not my intention to do so, but when they took prayer out of the schools, we raised God-less kids that are so politically-correctly-entitled that lack a moral compass. Not to say that God is the answer for all kids/people, but the majority of the folks in this country believe in some kind of "Higher Power" imho, and to take God out of everyday conversation has hurt this land.If you have 3 different faiths in a classroom, say 3 different prayers. It may help the kids understand a culture or faith that is different from their own. The Atheists and agnostics can come up with their own statement of being and be understood.

I also think that people have lost their people skills due to technology. Some folks don't give a rats ass about the person they are talking face to face with...they'' take a call,text or a tweet in a heartbeat, while the other person is supposed to wait their turn to communicate, taking a backseat to the "device". I don't care if it's the social norm these days. It's rude and I for one don't tolerate it. /rant

I can agree with most parts of this post, especially that of political correctness. It's killing us.

On another note, a bad day just gets worse with another uninspired Wings performance. Disappoint.

Karen you would make a great mom :) I agree with all of your points, it's hard on these kids when they are trying to grow up with all these different standards. I worry daily about how my girls will be when they grow up. I've always believed that they learn by example and try my hardest to show them good morals and treatment of others.

Hockeytown, sorry you had a bad day yesterday. I hope today is much better.

My Godson is "pregnant". They get a computerized baby for health class and they have to care for it for 4 weeks.

I've been giving him a hard time for not knowing who the babydaddy is. I told him that's what happens when you lust after trashy-looking women who wear skirts so short that you can almost see their hoochidoo. He loves Fergie. I saw her on the Superbowl. She's pretty, but that skirt was short for being up on a stage.

My brother had to take care of the computerized baby a few years ago. But only for a week. By the end of the week, he wanted to take it out and bash it against a rock repeatedly. I should probably resign myself to not having any nieces or nephews in the future. laugh.gif

Does anyone else find Valentine's Day ads to be about 999999% more annoying than regular ads? "OMG GET YOUR WIFE/GIRLFRIEND/MISTRESS THIS OVERPRICED SHINY THING OR YOU WILL NEVER GET LAID AGAIN!!!!"

Does anyone else find Valentine's Day ads to be about 999999% more annoying than regular ads? "OMG GET YOUR WIFE/GIRLFRIEND/MISTRESS THIS OVERPRICED SHINY THING OR YOU WILL NEVER GET LAID AGAIN!!!!"

I find most over-hyped holidays annoying... but Valentine's is clearly nothing but a commercial holiday. I feel bad for men who get trapped into the requirement of shelling out money for gifts.

Valentine's Day should be about celebrating relationships... of all kinds. Instead it's a day for women to hammer their menfolks for not getting them something "special" just because they happen to be together.

How vapid. Anyway, I like all the array of chocolates this time of year, even if I do have to buy my own. :D

Here's a random discussion - what's the deal with airline peanuts?

I rarely fly anymore due to expense and pure, unadulterated misery and unbelievable hassle from the gate nazis, etc. However, the last time I did, the guy next to me got a packet of peanut. Singular. There was one peanut in the sealed package... we lol'd. :lol:

Here's a random discussion - what's the deal with airline peanuts?

The last time we flew, it was to Florida for spring break 3 years ago. Didn't get groped or "scattered" at the gate and also didn't get any peanuts on the flight.

You guys, someone in my (online) marine biology class posted on the class message board that she had no idea tuna was a fish, because, like, it doesn't look like a fish when you open the can. *headdesk* Apparently the "dolphin-safe" labels on the cans are just there for the lolz? blink.gif

"Can someone please tell me what is the deal with B.O.? Everything in nature has a function, a purpose, except B.O. It doesn’t make any sense. Do something good—hard work, exercise—smell very bad. That is the way the human being is designed. You move, you stink. Why don’t our bodies help us? Why can’t sweat smell good? Be a different world, wouldn’t it?"