• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Holland making Schneider a priority

Rate this topic

Guest nutz2u

How could our powerplay get much worse, we ranked 21st of 30 teams in the regular season. If not for the Sharks we would have probably been the worst in the playoffs. As far as I was concerned it was time to go to the kitchen for a beer when we went on the powerplay. We Suuucked.

Kronwall bottles this whole thing up. Face it, he really does. He has all the tools to be a great defenseman, but he's just weak. Just plain weak. Luck doesn't have anything to do with it. Kronwall needs to get stronger, or else he's going to become a vegetable like Eric Lindros.

I'm going to give him one more year. If he gets hurt, again, next year though, that's it. It's time to cut the cord already if it happens again.

My thought on this is that ... holland wants to re-sign schneider and let markov go because of the good play of lilja ... since he was the leading hitter in the playoffs he probably thinks that lilja has improved his game and can do a better job then markov ... wich i do not disagree with the fact he has improved his game, and also lilja is cheaper then markov ...

Well players are only worth what $$$ GM's want to throw @ them - law of supply & demand.

For a team with a smaller corps of Dmen - we came pretty darn close to knocking off Burke's Big Bad Ducks; a few bounces here, & there it would've been our beloved Red Wings facing the Sens...They're other Dmen out there that can replace Markov @ "decent" prices (though I do hope Holland can re-sign him), but look @ the $$$ that guys like Schneider, Souray, & Timonen will command. I'm hoping Schneider will sign for the "hometown discount". :rolleyes:

We were a team with Lilja playing very, very well (a question mark for next year) AND Markov. If Lilja doesn't have the same playoffs and Markov is on the team, we play much smaller. We almost knocked off those Ducks, remember, without Schneider. And we knocked out San Jose without him, too.

This kind of makes me think that Holland is planning on going after some UFA's hard this off season. Someone said it earlier, but with the cap going up, the Wings could sign both Schneider and Markov and give them pay raises to boot(assuming Bertuzzi takes a pay cut- as is expected).

This is exactly why I would not want to be a GM. This is a very tough choice to make in my opinion. Markov brought a physical element to the team that we had been lacking the past couple of years. Plus, I don't think I've seen a better defensive partner for Lidstrom since Murphy was here. Guess we just have to wait and see..

IMHO Kronwall isn't weak - just injury prone/unlucky. This kid hustles, hits, plays tuff, and because of his stature he's more prone to injuries...Would you consider Wendel Clark weak? He too battled injuries from the start of his NHL career, & his career ended early because of his style of play.

I totally agree , Kronner still has it in him to be the player we all thaught he could be . All he needs is a little bit of luck and to stay the hell clear of those injuries that he keeps getting.

That's exactly right. They aren't saying they won't try to get a physical defensemen. They're saying they will sign Schneider first. People are making it sound like they will sign Schneider and that will be it. I doubt it. What they REALLY need is a huge, stay at home d-man that can knock people off the puck. How many times did an opponenet get the puck in the Wing's zone and keep it there because no one could knock a player off the puck and take it away? Markov wasn't that player. A guy like that would be fairly cheap on the open market.

Simple fact is, we're a Schneider away from the Wings being in the Stanley Cup Finals and being up 2-0 on the Sens.

Andy SUTTON??? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Anyone who thinks Markov is more important then Schnieder should look at the playoffs to see why there wrong.

Schnieder was key to our great powerplay in the Calgary series and San Jose series. His tough play and timely game winning goals (San Jose game 4 anyone ?)

I like Markov as much as the next guy , I hope he comes back it'd be a shame if he didnt come back. But to say hes more of a priorty then Schnieder is foolish. Markovs good on the PK , so are chelios , lidstrom , kronwall and lilja.

Then theres the power play and without Schnieder , it was Chelios and Lidstrom. At times Samuelson was good , but he isnt a defenceman.

Another fact , with Schnieder , we scored on 5-3 poweplays , without him we almost gave up a 5-3 shorthanded goal agaisnt Anaheim.

Hopefully we get both back , and can keep both healthy for the whole playoffs.

I totally agree , Kronner still has it in him to be the player we all thaught he could be . All he needs is a little bit of luck and to stay the hell clear of those injuries that he keeps getting.

people we need to get defenseman that fit our system defenseman remember everyone loved when they picked up hatcher and the fact is he could not skate or move the puck

I dont like it. Detroit showed during the playoffs that team defense is what makes them go. Its why they were able to plug a guy like Quincey right in. With that in mind, is Schneider worth all this money he's going to get just for offense? Isnt Kindl supposed to be good offensively? Plus theres still Kronwall if he stays healthy. The money can be better spent on somebody else.

I dont like it. Detroit showed during the playoffs that team defense is what makes them go. Its why they were able to plug a guy like Quincey right in. With that in mind, is Schneider worth all this money he's going to get just for offense? Isnt Kindl supposed to be good offensively? Plus theres still Kronwall if he stays healthy. The money can be better spent on somebody else.

Yeah, but they also showed that without Schneider manning the point on the PP that they couldn't score for the life of them. Anyways, I haven't seen the guy play, but Kindl is said to be an offensive d-man, that can be physical and plays with a bit of fiestyness. Regardless..I don't think he's ready yet, and I certainly wouldn't be comfortable thinking this guy could take Matt's place. *Even if the Wings were to go out and get someone else.* I don't think there's anyone out on the market better than Schneids. He's their top priority and he very well should be. If Markov doesn't re-sign im sure Holland will try and get someone to replace him, and his physicality.

Yeah, but they also showed that without Schneider manning the point on the PP that they couldn't score for the life of them. Anyways, I haven't seen the guy play, but Kindl is said to be an offensive d-man, that can be physical and plays with a bit of fiestyness. Regardless..I don't think he's ready yet, and I certainly wouldn't be comfortable thinking this guy could take Matt's place. *Even if the Wings were to go out and get someone else.* I don't think there's anyone out on the market better than Schneids. He's their top priority and he very well should be. If Markov doesn't re-sign im sure Holland will try and get someone to replace him, and his physicality.

You have a good point. But, as unlikely as it seems, lets say that 3.5 mill could be used towards the signing of a Ryan Smyth. That certainly would benefit your powerplay. Or theres also the chance you could acquire somebody in a deal including Jiri Hudler (i know you dont want him traded but just saying). I just dont like forking over that much money for Schneider.

You have a good point. But, as unlikely as it seems, lets say that 3.5 mill could be used towards the signing of a Ryan Smyth. That certainly would benefit your powerplay. Or theres also the chance you could acquire somebody in a deal including Jiri Hudler (i know you dont want him traded but just saying). I just dont like forking over that much money for Schneider.

He'll probably only get 2-3 million.

Lets say Bertuzzi signs for 1-2 million and Chelios signs for 800k.

We still have enough space to get a Ryan Smyth (3-4.5 max though) , and if we lose Markov , Sarich or Hannan are gritty guys. Then you have Hudler who could be used as trade bait to get a gritty defenceman.

He'll probably only get 2-3 million.

Lets say Bertuzzi signs for 1-2 million and Chelios signs for 800k.

We still have enough space to get a Ryan Smyth (3-4.5 max though) , and if we lose Markov , Sarich or Hannan are gritty guys. Then you have Hudler who could be used as trade bait to get a gritty defenceman.

I think its a really slim chance we get Smyth, but, if we somehow do, certain things have to fall in place. One, I believe, is Schneider not being re-signed. I cant really see him getting just 2-3 mill, if its a short term deal like 1 year it'll be 3 and a half. 2 years maybe a little bit less.

people we need to get defenseman that fit our system defenseman remember everyone loved when they picked up hatcher and the fact is he could not skate or move the puck

What? Punctuation is your friend.

And we knocked out San Jose without him, too.

If not for Schneider's heads up play in OT of game 5, there's no guarantee the Wings make it past the Sharks. The Wings walked over San Jose in game 6 because of how Schneider ended Game 5.

If not for Schneider's heads up play in OT of game 5, there's no guarantee the Wings make it past the Sharks. The Wings walked over San Jose in game 6 because of how Schneider ended Game 5.

You mean in OT of Game 4, because in Game 5 the Wings won 4-1.

i don t see how smyth helps our pp he does what homer does what we need is someone to play the half board like shanahan and hull did

What? Punctuation is your friend.

sorry your girlfriend is working on me i will wait till she goes to another john

sorry your girlfriend is working on me i will wait till she goes to another john

Oohh, you pay women for sex! That certainly teaches me a lesson!

Edited by Izzy24

i don t see how smyth helps our pp he does what homer does what we need is someone to play the half board like shanahan and hull did

Smyth and Homer is better then having a sniper , We have guys like Cleary and Zetterberg who can put the puck in the net with there stiffling shots.

He helps our PP more then a sniper would , because , what a goalie cant see , he cant stop. He cant see the pucks if Smyth's standing in front.

Add in Smyth had something like 12-14 PP goals and Homer had 13 , guys that take a beating to get the puck in the net are much more important.

I'm certainly not saying Schneider isn't important, I just don't think it's the right move to completely disregard Markov to get Schneider. Everyone is saying that guys like Markov are easy to come by, if that's the case why isn't he cheaper?

Also, how much (if any) of a paycut would Smyth take to play in Detroit?

Ansar Khan:

I really don't like this if it means the end of Markov in Detroit. Markov is as gritty as they come and was a great partner for Lidstrom. The Wings are sacrificing Markov's defensive ability and Kronwall's minutes for Schneider's pretty stats. Don't get me wrong, Schneider's great but how is Kronwall ever supposed to develop if he never gets the ice time?

Let Schneider go, keep Markov's edge and physical presence. Up Kronwall's PP time and watch him put up better numbers.

If we were to sign both Schneider and Markov, we would have 1 to many defensemen.

Lidstrom

Chelios

Lebda

Schneider

Markov

Lilja

Kronwall

That means if everybody is healthy somebody has to sit. Lilja would be the odd man out. But Lilja had a great playoff and has really stepped it up. Now the other problem $$$. Markov will not be cheap. Lilja is cheap and if he continues to develop he can be gritty.

As much as I like Markov, I 'd rather see him go an save the money for somebody else.

We NEED Schneider on the powerplay until Kronwall gets going. I think that the string of bad luck has run out with Nick Jr. and this is the year.

I'm certainly not saying Schneider isn't important, I just don't think it's the right move to completely disregard Markov to get Schneider. Everyone is saying that guys like Markov are easy to come by, if that's the case why isn't he cheaper?

Also, how much (if any) of a paycut would Smyth take to play in Detroit?

Smyth is not going to come to Detroit. He's going back to Edmonton.

Yeah he does look alot like Vladdy, & plays a physical game that resembles Vladdy as well.

How about this idea boys & girls....Holland trades Lilja (while his stock is somewhat high), & Hudler for picks/pucks/donuts or whatever...That'll give Holland both 1 spot for an extra Dman (as well as a forward - hello Mr.Torres/Hartnell) and some cap space to re-sign Markov.

What it boils down to is whether ya like Markov, or Lilja? Schneider is gonna be re-signed - no question about that. He's played his best hockey here in Detroit, & wants to stick around for a few more years. I'm glad he's staying :cool:

Exactly. Schneider will be resigned. Nobody else is going anywhere - Lebda, Cheli, Nick Jr., Norris Nick. So it comes down to pay a few million for Markov or play Lilja. IF Lilja can continue like he did in the playoffs, this is a no brainer because he is already signed cheap. if Lilja reverts to his old self, we need Markov.

I say we take a chance on Lilja and use the money elsewhere for somebody with a good shot from the circle ala Brett Hull or Shanny (NO not Shanny himself, but somebody with his shot).

As with everything though, this is a gamble.