• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

N4C3R

Jiri Hudler as trade bait

Rate this topic

I don't think Babcock and Holland have the same taste in players. Hudler is a Holland player... Cleary is a Babcock player. Holland isn't bringing in a lot of Babcock players...

I've noticed this a lot also. Which I still can't imagine why Holland won't sign someone like Arron Asham or Adam Hall. Those are Babcock type players.

Guest DetroitIan

Seriously, I really like Hudler's game. But I really wouldnt be too disappointed if we were gonna use him as trade bait. As long as he is part of a trade that will help bring some more grit, im all for it. Otherwise I would definitely wanna hold onto Huds.

as long as forsberg is ready for the post season , thats all that matters .....i think he got 4 pts in 4 games for nashville in the post season , i think he can do good here .......again as long as hes healthy for the post season thats all i care about

Foresburg just had ANOTHER ankle operation. He will retire before October

If hes used as trade bait, which is something I brought up a little while ago, it wont be pre-regular season. Itll be at the trade deadline if and only if he is at least a 20 goal scorer by that time. Otherwise, he wont have much value. But the fact that he is signed to a 2 year contract makes me think that management is DEFINITELY open to the idea of trading Hudler, along with their comments suggesting that Hudler is on a short leash.

Its my belief that even if Hudler does have a 30 goal, 60pt season, the idea of trading him might still be an option. For example, if Atlanta doesnt make the playoffs (likely) and they cant re-sign Hossa, a Hudler package would still be a smart option.

If hes used as trade bait, which is something I brought up a little while ago, it wont be pre-regular season. Itll be at the trade deadline if and only if he is at least a 20 goal scorer by that time. Otherwise, he wont have much value. But the fact that he is signed to a 2 year contract makes me think that management is DEFINITELY open to the idea of trading Hudler, along with their comments suggesting that Hudler is on a short leash.

Its my belief that even if Hudler does have a 30 goal, 60pt season, the idea of trading him might still be an option. For example, if Atlanta doesnt make the playoffs (likely) and they cant re-sign Hossa, a Hudler package would still be a smart option.

If Hudler has a 30/60 season (not at all unreasonable) why in the world would you trade him? Production like that doesn't grow on trees. I realize Hossa is a FAR better player, but he's also a lot trickier to fit into the framework of our roster with Pavel, Z, Rafalski, and hopefully Lidstrom around. You don't trade a guy like Hudler for Marian if you don't intend to re-sign Marian. And you'll be very hard pressed to sign him to a contract and then have to also sign Z to a contract the following year. Unless you're planning on trading Datsyuk or something.

If Hudler has a 30/60 season (not at all unreasonable) why in the world would you trade him? Production like that doesn't grow on trees. I realize Hossa is a FAR better player, but he's also a lot trickier to fit into the framework of our roster with Pavel, Z, Rafalski, and hopefully Lidstrom around. You don't trade a guy like Hudler for Marian if you don't intend to re-sign Marian. And you'll be very hard pressed to sign him to a contract and then have to also sign Z to a contract the following year. Unless you're planning on trading Datsyuk or something.

Holland will have a better idea of where things are going at the trade deadline, first of all. (i.e. whether the cap is going to rise again, whether Lidstrom is thinking retirement.) As for trading Hudler if he was a 30/60 guy, then, like I said, you would do it for a guy of Hossa's calibre. Another option is post-playoffs next year, especially if Lidstrom retires and the cap goes - or even one of the two, where Detroit could use Hudler in an offer for the rights to the likes of Heatley, Redden, Fisher or Marleau, for example. Another option is an outright trade with somebody who is close to the cap, in the rebuilding phase, or desperately in need of skill.

The point is, Detroit has Datsyuk, Filppula, and Zetterberg. All of those guys are bigger, better defensively, and better skaters than Hudler, along with being more or as skillful as he is. That means, naturally, that what he brings to this Detroit team is nothing that Detroit is in dire need of, whereas something he could bring in return with a 30/60 season and a small price tag IS something that Detroit has been lacking since the scoring power of Shanahan or the speed of Fedorov, etc.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i love huddles im pretty sure holland signed him to keep him

Yea, but frankly, Marian Hossa is the kind of player you make room for if you have the chance. It's a moot point anyway, as it's pretty unlikely that he'll ever come here.

Yea, but frankly, Marian Hossa is the kind of player you make room for if you have the chance. It's a moot point anyway, as it's pretty unlikely that he'll ever come here.

Except that the kind of room Marian commands ($6-7-8M/yr) is pretty hard to come by when you've got Pavel near $7M, Nick near $8M, Rafalski at $6M, and Z looking to sign at least near $7M in two years. We'd have to clean house and replace guys like Draper and Holmstrom with minimum wage guys and hope that our scouts can keep churning out good players because the ones we have will get expensive if they're any good (and if they're not any good we'll have no depth and the team won't be any good). Having five big money players is a good way of killing any depth you may want to have.

I don't think Babcock and Holland have the same taste in players. Hudler is a Holland player... Cleary is a Babcock player. Holland isn't bringing in a lot of Babcock players...

Very astute observation! :clap:

One I have to agree with, Holland does his own thing, especially since Scotty is no longer the coach

Over the course of the last 2 offseasons, they seem to be making an effort to become increasingly North American.

That's just coincidence. If that was the case, how do you explain them taking Cherepanov over Esposito?

Edited by WhiteLightning91

Except that the kind of room Marian commands ($6-7-8M/yr) is pretty hard to come by when you've got Pavel near $7M, Nick near $8M, Rafalski at $6M, and Z looking to sign at least near $7M in two years. We'd have to clean house and replace guys like Draper and Holmstrom with minimum wage guys and hope that our scouts can keep churning out good players because the ones we have will get expensive if they're any good (and if they're not any good we'll have no depth and the team won't be any good). Having five big money players is a good way of killing any depth you may want to have.

Yea, except NIck won't be playing for much longer, probably another 2 year extension or till we win our next cup, whichever comes first. We have enough cheap depth right now to hold on until Nick retires or takes a significant pay cut and then Hossa (or another big name player) can take his place on the books. It would be tight until NIck is gone, but I guarantee it'd be worth it.

hudler wont be traded , at least not anytime soon........penner is out of the question now with rafalski datsyuk lidstrom totalling 20.3 million and zetterberg coming up in 2 yrs.

penner would have to be offered at least a 4-5 million range salary on a longterm deal to even have a shot , we do that and were screwed unless we beg lidstrom to take a paycut in 2 yrs lol.

maybe if were lucky somehow fit him in for 10 million and then the next season give him 2 when its zetterbergs first year into his new deal so lidstrom's salary only counts as 2 million .......but again i doubt it since we got other players due for raises

Wouldn't matter, on a 2 year 12million dollar deal the cap hit would be 6 million per year even if you paid him 10million the first and 2 million the second.

I can really see Kenny trying to go after Peter. He is looking for a veteran forward that would only sign a 1 year contract. the only problem is...would forsberg go to Detroit?

I think so, playing in Detroit for Peter would be the closest thing to playing in the Swedish elite league, while staying in the NHL.

Yea, except NIck won't be playing for much longer, probably another 2 year extension or till we win our next cup, whichever comes first. We have enough cheap depth right now to hold on until Nick retires or takes a significant pay cut and then Hossa (or another big name player) can take his place on the books. It would be tight until NIck is gone, but I guarantee it'd be worth it.

Don't forget that Nick would need to be replaced. Swapping the greatest defenseman of this era for a forward seems like poor asset management in a capped system. Ask Tampa how they're doing with three big money forwards.

That's just coincidence. If that was the case, how do you explain them taking Cherepanov over Esposito?

I dont know anything about the draft class, maybe that was a no brainer move. All im saying is over the course of last offseason and this one theyve gone from being a totally european dominated team to acquiring Shanahan, Avery, Cullen, Ward, Gomez, and Drury. If thats a coincidence, i think its a fairly big one. These additions also coincided with them getting swept by Jersey in '06. No, im not saying theyve become anti euro as thats obviously not the case, but i think its obvious that some effort is being put forth to bring in more North Americans.

Don't forget that Nick would need to be replaced. Swapping the greatest defenseman of this era for a forward seems like poor asset management in a capped system. Ask Tampa how they're doing with three big money forwards.

I thought Kronwall was the second coming of Lidstrom :P

I think if Hudler were to be traded before the season, Holland would have a ***** of a time signing any future UFA's. It's very much frowned upon.

Hudler wasn't unrestricted. Signing a UFA and then promptly trading him is usually frowned upon, but it's not like the trade of Willy discouraged Rafalski.

If the WIngs plan on adding players who are more physical and play a tougher style of hockey then someone will have to go. Right now I would quess the ones to go would be Hudler and then Kopecky. I would think the Wings would prefer to keep Kopecky because he is bigger and plays a more physical game. Also take a look at the defence, who is going if we add another defenceman, that would be Lebda. I think Quincey proved in the playoffs last year he can handle being a 6th or 7th defenceman. The Wings have several up and coming defenceman. I would think the Hudler and Lebda are both available.