• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Top 11 Tainted Sports Achievements

Rate this topic

Link

Basically, they call his one game - one shift contract a bunch of crap. And therefore, don't consider his "6 decades of hockey" to be valid.

Gordie Howe's sixth decade of hockey

The man known as "Mr. Hockey" did many unique things in a professional career that started in 1946 and ended in 1980  with a brief retirement during early 1970s his only hiatus. He set many NHL records that Wayne Gretzky would break and helped launch the World Hockey Association.

When the WHA merged with the NHL, Howe played one last season at the age of 51. As a promotional gimmick, the Detroit Vipers of the International Hockey League signed him to a one-game contract in 1997. He played one shift at the age of 69, without touching the puck, and pushed his career into a sixth decade.

This was similar to the stunt baseball legend Minnie Minoso participated to "extend" his career.

Link

Basically, they call his one game - one shift contract a bunch of crap. And therefore, don't consider his "6 decades of hockey" to be valid.

Well to be honest it was a cheap gimmick. Of all the things that make Howe great, playing that one shift isn't one of them. The fact that he played it at all is really just a testimate to the immense respect paid to him by the entire hockey world. That scenario would be laughable for almost anyone other then Old Elbows.

Guest jaytan

How the hell is that one of the top 11 (or top ANY) achievements ever? It has nothing to do with his legacy.

Agreed, but it's not like a team put him in a Stanley Cup Finals game or anything. It was a marketing gimick for a minor league hockey team. Stuff like that happens all the time.

The Indy Ice of the CHL put Manute Bol under contract. Yeah, the ex-NBA dude who's like 7 foot 7 +. He sat on the bench for a game and people showed up to see an 8 foot guy on skates.

I really think the author was just desperate to include something hockey related for his article.

Well to be honest it was a cheap gimmick. Of all the things that make Howe great, playing that one shift isn't one of them. The fact that he played it at all is really just a testimate to the immense respect paid to him by the entire hockey world. That scenario would be laughable for almost anyone other then Old Elbows.

It says TAINTED achievements. The article calls into question his "legacy" of 6 decades of hockey.

How the hell is that one of the top 11 (or top ANY) achievements ever? It has nothing to do with his legacy.

edit: clarity and wrong basketball player

Edited by FireCaptain

Guest jaytan

Yeah, I was referring to the "top 11 tainted achievements", just forgot the most crucial word.

Agreed, but it's not like a team put him in a Stanley Cup Finals game or anything. It was a marketing gimick for a minor league hockey team. Stuff like that happens all the time.

The Indy Ice of the CHL put Dekimbe Mutombo under contract. Yeah, the ex-NBA dude who's like 7 foot +. He sat on the bench for a couple games and people showed up to see an 8 foot guy on skates.

I really think the author was just desperate to include something hockey related for his article.

It says TAINTED achievements. The article calls into question his "legacy" of 6 decades of hockey.

Wasn't that former Philadelphia 76er Manute Bol?

Really strange but related topic from the Indianapolis Ice wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Ice

There have been former standout Ice players both past and present that have come from the Indianapolis farm system, some went on to NHL careers and others did not. Some of the names of Indianapolis greats include:

Dominik Hasek (Stanley Cup Winner), Dean McAmmond, Rob Conn, Ray LeBlanc (U.S. Olympian), Todd White, Kip Miller (Hobey Baker Winner), Rich Lahm, Yvan Corbin.

Sure enough, Indy Ice from '89 - '91. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominik_Hasek

Wasn't that former Philadelphia 76er Manute Bol?

Yeah, I was changing my post when you posted.

Edited by FireCaptain

I think that list is total BS.

How can one put Nykesha Sales' career scoring record or Howe's '6th decade' in the same list with Maradona's intentional hand-scored goal.

That was pure cheating.

Anyone who knows anything about hockey doesn't look at Howe playing six decades (by signing a one-game contract at age 69) as his legacy. The fact that Gordie Howe played one NHL season at age 51, and still competitively, makes it one of his greatest achievements.

If the writer needed a hockey reference for his Tainted List, he should have mentioned the Brett Hull skate-in-the-crease Stanley Cup winning goal for the Dallas Stars.

Edited by North Guy

The fact of the matter is Gordie Howe is a legend. I was recently talkign to one of my buddies at school, and we think that him playing that one shift was quite possibly the coolest, and most dedicated thing that any athlete has ever done for his sport. Not 6 deckades of hockey my ass, Michael Jordan was a joke on the baseball field, but people still consider him as having a career in that. My buddy and I further said that he should come back for one more shift and make it 7 decades, in both of our opinions it should be against phoenix because, if anyone touched him...even the great one would kill him even if it was his own player... :P

Anyone who knows anything about hockey doesn't look at Howe playing six decades (by signing a one-game contract at age 69) as his legacy. The fact that Gordie Howe played one NHL season at age 51, and still competitively, makes it one of his greatest achievements.

If the writer needed a hockey reference for his Tainted List, he should have mentioned the Brett Hull skate-in-the-crease Stanley Cup winning goal for the Dallas Stars.

Why didn't I think of that...oh wait...he is the greatest there ever was...we can't speak bad of him. I hate Bett Hull

What on earth is Gordie Howe doing on that list?

His playing that one shift in that one game didn't hurt anyone, didn't cheat anyone, didn't violate any rules of the game, nor did it involve ethical problems. It was straight forward. He's signed to a one game contract and he will play a shift. The outcome of the game was in no way influenced by his being on the ice, nor did he take any undue liberties against the other team.

Sure, it wasn't the same as if he'd signed on for a whole season, but they didn't pretend that it was.

It annoys me to see him included with alleged drug users and cheaters, judges on the take, and liars in general. All Gordie did was give his fans a chance to see him play one more time. He earned every honour that has been bestowed on him. That's why he's Mr. Hockey.

QFT

Also, if this is the only tainted sports achievement that this writer can come up with for the NHL, than the our sport is in great shape.

Minute Bowl......

Is he on stilts or skates? I can't figure it out! :lol:

I don't remember if he ever actually took the ice did he? I seem to recall that he had a lot of skate problems and ended up just sitting on the bench for a period. could be wrong.

this is the same team that tried to get Tonya Harding to skate for them for a game, I don't think she ever did it

Yeah, I was referring to the "top 11 tainted achievements", just forgot the most crucial word.

The Aneheim Ducks win the 2006-2007 Stanely cup despite their #1 defensemen being suspended twice during the playoff. The first time in the WCF he recieved a 1 game suspension for driving Tomas Holtrom's head into the glass. Then during the SCF, he elbowed and Ottawa player in the head, recieving another one game suspension.

I believe Bol got one shift, he got on the ice, fell, skated back to the bench. It was seriously a 5-10 second shift.

But you are right they spent the entire first period trying to get the canoes he was wearing for skates to fit right.

That guy looked awkward playing B-ball, let alone trying to skate!!

Im sorry but with the Hand of God play is more reffing idiocy than cheating. Plain and simple the ref should have made the call. Its the same as if a player kicks a puck in and the ref doesnt call it back. Your doing what you can to score that goal and if a referee doesn't make then call then so be it. The real cheating in those lists are anything to do with doping.

Edited by GoalieManPat

Cool article..thanks

You're welcome.

QFT

Also, if this is the only tainted sports achievement that this writer can come up with for the NHL, than the our sport is in great shape.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Sorry to rehash what everyone else has already said, but what the hell is Gordie doing on a list with people accused of doping and other cheating? I was at Gordies 6th decade appearance and it was nothing but a way of getting asses in the seats at a Vipers game. In the past week it has become popular for sports writers to discuss cheating and other sporting flaws in this time when no sport seems innocent of scandal………

NHL: Bettman and Nashville Sale

NFL: Vick and Dog Fighting

NBA: Gamblin’ Ref

MLB: Bary Bonds soon to break Homerun Record ****