• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

LGW double standard

Rate this topic

At last count there are exactly 2 threads mentioning the Lightning being sold.

If any of the articles about the sale were actually read - the $70M loss in the last 8 years should stick out. The only year they made money since Davidson bought them in '99 was the year they won the Cup.

There are 10+ threads mentioning how the Preds suck and Nashville doesn't deserve a team because they lose money, Can't wait 'til Bassille takes them to Canada, etc etc.

The double standard is pretty funny. Well, not really.

Nhl would be much better league if they took out the following teams : Phoenix, Colombus, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Carolina... and put a team in Quebec and Winnipeg ... and stay with 26 teams (or we can also take out florida, and minnesota) and have a league with 24 teams ...

Nhl would be much better league if they took out the following teams : Phoenix, Colombus, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Carolina... and put a team in Quebec and Winnipeg ... and stay with 26 teams (or we can also take out florida, and minnesota) and have a league with 24 teams ...

Just curious, but why would you suggest Minnesota?

At last count there are exactly 2 threads mentioning the Lightning being sold.

If any of the articles about the sale were actually read - the $70M loss in the last 8 years should stick out. The only year they made money since Davidson bought them in '99 was the year they won the Cup.

There are 10+ threads mentioning how the Preds suck and Nashville doesn't deserve a team because they lose money, Can't wait 'til Bassille takes them to Canada, etc etc.

The double standard is pretty funny. Well, not really.

team they hate vs. team they meh?

oh and as a side not about losing money.... majority of the league's revenue comes from Canada again. Even the "poor" Oilers had to put money in the pool for the less fortunate teams last season.

Wow... where to begin...

First of all, why would you can two teams that have a 100% sellout rate? And, for that matter, replace them with two failed markets like Winnipeg and Quebec?

Now, I can understand the Tampa hate, because ITZ IN TEH SOUTH!!!!!11!!!!1!!!1. I can see peoples southern bias around here will never change, and are completely blinded by the fact that Tampa does have a good fan base. They wouldn't have a 100% sellout rate for nothing.

But, why move Minnesota? That is a rabid hocky hotbed up there. It's easily the most hockey mad state in the entire US. It kicks Michigan's ass by a mile in that catagory, since Detroit is more of a bandwagon sports town anyways.

Ugh... I don't know sometimes... move two pretty successful markets in favor for two obscure failed markets in Canada... what a plan!

edited for grammar

Edited by Kp-Wings

Tampa Bay shouldn't be moved, they might not be making a ton of money but they are still selling out their games. They have great fans. Personally i am tired of the "this city shouldn't have a team" "this team has no fans" blah blah blah. get over it people. This is the NHL its probably not going to change anytime soon. i really dought they are going to drop 6 or 8 teams out of the league just because they play in a city that might not snow. Now I'm not saying theres nothing wrong with fun "what if" threads but really people. if a team is in a city they are there for a reason.

Wow... where to begin...

First of all, why would you can two teams that have a 100% sellout rate? And, for that matter, replace them with two failed markets like Winnipeg and Quebec?

Now, I can understand the Tampa hate, because ITZ IN TEH SOUTH!!!!!11!!!!1!!!1. I can see peoples southern bias around here will never change, and are completely blinded by the fact that Tampa does have a good fan base. They wouldn't have a 100% sellout rate for nothing.

But, why move Minnesota? That is a rabid hocky hotbed up there. It's easily the most hockey mad state in the entire US. It kicks Michigan's ass by a mile in that catagory, since Detroit is more of a bandwagon sports town anyways.

Ugh... I don't know sometimes... move two pretty successful markets in favor for two obscure failed markets in Canada... what a plan!

edited for grammar

Um Quebec wasn't a failure ... they just had a dumb owner that was into $$$ sold it to someone that wanted to move the team ... winnipeg WAS a failure but why not give it another try if it don't work send it to ... basille let him take care of it ...

We need 2 more canadian teams and less teams overall in this league

Edited by KrazyGangsta

I know others have already asked you this, but I am anxiously awaiting a response as to why you feel Minnesota should lose their team. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I know others have already asked you this, but I am anxiously awaiting a response as to why you feel Minnesota should lose their team. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I concur. Why not move Colorado too if you're going to move Minnesota. Why move Columbus? They stink to the high heavens yet they have unbelievable fan support and they're well run. They don't make a habit of pricing themselves into a position where the club loses money year after year.

Quebec and Winnipeg? The only people who want to see teams go back there actually reside there. That's such a horrible idea.

It failed once so your logic is to give it a second try and if it fails again sell to Basille? Why go through all that?

Well the wilds for me are not a bad team ... yes they have good attendance ... but history/rivalry wise ... they dont excite me

I concur. Why not move Colorado too if you're going to move Minnesota. Why move Columbus? They stink to the high heavens yet they have unbelievable fan support and they're well run. They don't make a habit of pricing themselves into a position where the club loses money year after year.

Quebec and Winnipeg? The only people who want to see teams go back there actually reside there. That's such a horrible idea.

It failed once so your logic is to give it a second try and if it fails again sell to Basille? Why go through all that?

didnt dallas fail once ... ??? there were other teams too that failed but they still got teams back ... i cant remember wich ones were they but i think they were 2-3 wasnt ottawa one also (not sure, from what i can remember ... i might be wrong)

And 1 more thing ... when i meant nhl would be better... i mean NHL would be better in my opinion for me if those things happened ... I'm not into alot of those expansions team that came in ... never been too much of fan of new teams that's why ... im not saying that its not all the right moves also ...

Edited by KrazyGangsta

Well the wilds for me are not a bad team ... yes they have good attendance ... but history/rivalry wise ... they dont excite me

didnt dallas fail once ... ??? there were other teams too that failed but they still got teams back ... i cant remember wich ones were they but i think they were 2-3 wasnt ottawa one also (not sure, from what i can remember ... i might be wrong)

And 1 more thing ... when i meant nhl would be better... i mean NHL would be better in my opinion for me if those things happened ... I'm not into alot of those expansions team that came in ... never been too much of fan of new teams that's why ... im not saying that its not all the right moves also ...

Dallas Failed, as did the old Colorado team.

I also believe there were one or two teams in California that failed as well.

I say we give Quebec anohter shot. As well as winnipeg. If Edmonton can make money, why cant QC and Winnipeg?

Makes sense to me in the salary capped NHL of today.

Oh yeah and.

Chicago Sucks to High hell, Why not move them. Nobody goes to the games, the majority of them arent on TV.

NoOne would say lets move an original 6 team.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Well that's a totally different story altogether. Yeah, there's lots of changes fans would make for personal reasons that might not be seen as necessary or "good" by others. For instance, I'd have us playing Toronto 8 times a year and revamp the entire schedule. I don't know if i'd move us East although that idea has lots of merit behind it.

I wasn't a big fan of expanding south but teams are making it work. How the Ning could sellout and lose money is absurd to me. Of course they gave 3 guys monster sized contracts so maybe that's part of the reason. Nashville i'd contract not because I hate them, I actually like playing them because of the hatred so long as nobody gets injured. But i'd contract them because they are a great team and nobody gives a crap to the point where they almost lost their team. That spells bad market for me.

And yes, I'm an Ohioan so I would hate to see the Jackets go. But any bias aside, for a team that hasn't made the playoffs, they sold out games almost every night for a long stretch there and they have a ton of fan support in a big city that is full of sports fans and not just Buckeye fans. Its a great market that I haven't heard is losing money or anything so IMO, that 's a stable market that is working and shouldn't be f-ed with. Now if they could just get into the playoffs.

Just curious, has there ever been an NHL team that folded after that team won a Stanley Cup? What I'm getting at here is that people have wanted to shut down Anaheim and Tampa Bay. To my (limited) knowledge, no team that has ever won the Cup in the NHL has ever been contracted or even relocated.

I have already been hearing rumours about two new expansion teams being worked on in Las Vegas and Kansas City, so I believe contraction is one of the last things on the mind of the NHL. The players association would never go for it. either.