• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Hockeytown is DEAD

Rate this topic

Has fan interest really dropped? I was at a bar in Ferndale watching the game. The bar was packed and there was quite a lot of cheering for each Wings' goal and for Drake's fight. When the game ended, the place emptied out.

high ticket prices + bad economy + several Detroit teams all performing well = empty seats at the Joe

It's simply a lot cheaper and easier to sit in front of the big screen TV and divert the money that would have been spent on tickets to drinking beer instead.

I agree, not by choice tho. I would rather be at the game. I'm a Wings fan no matter who is on the team, same as I've been a Lions fan for all these years. Good or bad I'm there rooting for them. I just don't have the capital to go to a game. On top of that, I live over 100 miles from the Joe so gas prices are an issue too. So if anyone has extra tickets for a game...

Don't get me wrong...I get sick of hearing fans complain about anything...but this topic is older than old...and imo no argument...either go or don't. But what's the point about whining what other fans do. Maybe they're all bandwagoners....or maybe they're poor....whatever the case, it really doesn't affect anyone.

No kidding, the same people who complain about the Joe not filling up are the same people who never go to games. It's like complaining that George Bush is President, but not going to vote for another cadidate, it's hypocritical.

Guest jaytan

Well, both papers ripped the Wings for the opening night attendance, and I can't say I blame them. For a Cup contender with this fanbase, playing against the defending champs who knocked them out in the Conference Finals last spring, that arena should have been packed as it has been for so long. I guess it's really time for Illitch to drop ticket prices.... Oh yeah, and get some talent that North American fans can connect to like they could with Stevie, Shanny, D-Mac and the rest. The EuroStars are great, but I really think it turns some fans off when that's almost all the Wings have on their roster.

Edited by jaytan

The thing is, the Joe was pretty empty for much of last year and the playoffs in comparison to prior years. The regular season showed sellouts every night because the tickets were sold, but the seats were not full.

I'm not sure there were any less people actually at the game last night than at times last year, the main difference is that the seats were not sold, so the official attendence shows up as the lower number this year compared to last.

Guest MrSandMan

Despite the Ducks being SC champs. I lost respect for their style of game (pronger) and winy ass ******* (Perry / Getslaft) and refuse to support that by attendance.

Maybe there are several folks that have the same mind set as I...?

Supporting attendance:

Ducks < Maple Leafs. (without a doubt!) Ducks have not earned respect.

It's nice to see sold out crowds...it's nice to be a part of them. But, my father before me had season tickets all through the 70's, the dead wings era...and now I have season tickets. I am a fan. I will always be a fan, weather the wings are great or they are in last place. I will be at the games, and enjoy them so that is all that really matters to me.

It might be kind of refreshing to get rid of all this bullcrap marketing they've been promoting for the last 10 years. I'd rather just go down and watch the game and cheer for my team, and not have to deal with listening to some retarded pop song about "hockeytown" or whatever.

Despite the Ducks being SC champs. I lost respect for their style of game (pronger) and winy ass ******* (Perry / Getslaft) and refuse to support that by attendance.

Supporting attendance:

I have that same mindset... never had any liking of the mightyducks.. now if htey brought out Coach Bombay and Banks and conway and gafnie and goldberg, i may put out the bucks for see D4 in theatres... or would it be D5 by now?

Sorry Defending Cup champs or not... Ducks don't impress me much.

Edited by OsGOD

It's a shame how fickle the fans are. This argument about "north american" players has problems that can't easily be corrected. If the Wings want highly talented north american players they will have to have higher draft picks in order to get them. That means losing seasons. And when the Wings start losing, everyone will blast them for not winning and say that's why they're not going to the games

Like it or not, the management of this team has kept us right at the door of the stanely cup for 16 years in a row. Instead of going through a "rebuilding" phase they simply cycled in new talent. And they did that by getting the highest possible talent they could have gotten with low draft picks. Most of that talent came from Europe, as the talented north american players are taken with the highest picks in the draft.

So the Wings style of play is predictable? I like that. Why? Because it's predictable in this way: That they will win and they will win frequently. I'd rather see a "predictable" team that wins than an "unpredictable" team that "might" win. They've already set a record for consecutive playoff appearances in all of sports and I don't see them missing the playoffs in the next 3 years. Apparently this isn't good enough for people, though. They'd rather have "good ol' fashioned North American players". Well, I've got news for all of them. Get ready for a rebuilding phase and losing seasons. I look forward to hearing your hypocritical voice on radio talk shows when the Wings start losing because they are taking your retarded advice of getting worthless rough and tough players from north america with low picks instead of using those same low picks to get highly talented players from Europe.

I agree with you completely. I can't believe a Wings fan can consider their play boring. They skate well, they pass well, they win. I thought the 3rd period of the opener was great. It was fast paced and had the look of a playoff game. You want to talk boring - go look at baseball or football, where the game takes hours because there is so much time where the game is not even being played. If you watch a baseball game half of your time is spent watching people scratch or spit. There is so much time between action you can run out and get beer and not miss anything. Football is the same way. You watch a play and then you wait while they stand around and decide what to do next. I know there are tv timeouts in hockey to allow for commercials, but with baseball and football you have commercial breaks in addition to regular breaks during the actual game time. The only way the wings play can be considered boring is if you are only watching for the brawls. Granted I enjoy it when the drop the gloves too, but there is so much more. I love the pace. I love watching the skill and the chemistry.

Oh yeah, and get some talent that North American fans can connect to

You know, I never thought about that too much, I wonder how much of an impact that really has.

If you look at Detroit's roster, they have 7 Canadians, 3 Americans and 12 Euros.

If you look at the Ducks roster, they have 16 Canadians, 7 Americans and 5 Euros (greater than 23 roster limit, so I am not sure who is actually on roster or not, but in looking at it, there are a few of those Euros that would be coming off).

A part of me is finding it is hard since the lockout to love the team becuase they change all the gosh darn time. If we had any stability as there was pre-cap when, you know, players actually stayed for longer than 2 months, i would be alot more intested in it.

That is the one way i see the lock out affecting my mentality... players changing team way to quickly and way to easily. Its a business i know.. but i have been with my same team for 7 years now.... so yeah.

The thing that frustrates me the most about this is that is really reeks of beating a dead horse. I'm not rough on the media, as I am a Journalism major myself, but I really wish the focus would shift to the game itself. If we spent more time praising what a fantastic game it was, how entertaining it was to watch, perhaps more people would be interested in going. Instead, both the Free Press and the News continue to harp on the empty seats and lack of interest, which certainly isn't going to send people rushing out to buy tickets.

The real story should be the game. Not the attendance.

Do the Red Wings need an American team so that we can relate to them because we can't relate to foreigners? This was one of the things said in 97.1 FM the sports inferno.

I disagree because we all could relate to Steve Yzerman, who is a foreign born player.

This means no Canadians (which has produced Stevie Y, Wayne G and Joe S), No Slovaks, No Sweds, No Czechs, No Russians and no Finns.

Edited by Jwo

Do the Red Wings need an American team so that we can relate to them because we can't relate to foreigners? This was one of the things said in 97.1 FM the sports inferno.

I disagree because we all could relate to Steve Yzerman, who is a foreign born player.

This means no Canadians (which has produced Stevie Y, Wayne G and Joe S), No Slovaks, No Sweds, No Czechs, No Russians and no Finns.

In additon to Yzerman, here are a few other Canadians some Wings fan might recognize:

- Sawchuk

- Lindsay

- Howe

- Delvecchio

- Abel

Just to be clear, when they mention foreign players, they are probably referring to those foreign to North American, not the United States.

Edited by toby91_ca

Guest jaytan

Supporting attendance:

The Leafs are also only a few hours away and have been a rival for decades. On top of all that, they only come to town once every two years.

I highly doubt very many people would refuse to go to a Wings-Ducks game because they don't like the way Anaheim plays. On the contrary, you'd think that would motivate you to go to the Joe and cheer against them harder.

As a final note, say what you will about it, but their style of play is a lot better than ours.

Does this mean we can ditch the Sergi threads this year and start a "Hockeytown is Dead" thread every time the Joe doesnt sell out this season. I just want to make sure I'm on the right bandwagon.

Edited by bcroz

A part of me is finding it is hard since the lockout to love the team becuase they change all the gosh darn time. If we had any stability as there was pre-cap when, you know, players actually stayed for longer than 2 months, i would be alot more intested in it.

That is the one way i see the lock out affecting my mentality... players changing team way to quickly and way to easily. Its a business i know.. but i have been with my same team for 7 years now.... so yeah.

Agreed.

It's counterintuitive, but there's something to be said for having a few powerhouse teams that can keep marquee players. It doesn't guarantee a Cup *cough* Rangers *cough* but it does give you great rivalries like Colorado and Detroit. It's hard for those to develop if the rosters rotate a lot. And it also adds the underdog element. It's exciting to watch a small market team upset a big one (as long as it's not Detroit).

And I said this in another thread, but I always thought it was a little silly to call Detroit Hockeytownâ„¢. Detroit is a great hockey market, but there are plenty of others. And it's easy to call this Hockeytown when the Wings are regularly among the best in their conference and winning Cups. The Joe was dead in the 80s, and I'd bet the same would happen again if the team didn't perform well. With all the success of the last ten years, fans are probably even more likely to bail if they're struggling.

If anything, this is Lionstown considering how loyal their fanbase is in spite of being disappointed season after season.

As for not selling out opening night. that is shocking. Bad economy, Yzerman and Shanny gone, and some spoiled fans are probably why.

Well, my goal is to make the drive to Detroit from Hancock, MI for at least 3 games this year. However, it is disappointing not to see the stands packed anymore.

Edited by Roz

Well, both papers ripped the Wings for the opening night attendance, and I can't say I blame them. For a Cup contender with this fanbase, playing against the defending champs who knocked them out in the Conference Finals last spring, that arena should have been packed as it has been for so long. I guess it's really time for Illitch to drop ticket prices.... Oh yeah, and get some talent that North American fans can connect to like they could with Stevie, Shanny, D-Mac and the rest. The EuroStars are great, but I really think it turns some fans off when that's almost all the Wings have on their roster.

I'm of this opinion too. I have nothing against European players but you can see that the fans want to embrace a North American star. Somebody they can relate too.

It would be no different if a Swedish Elite team had mostly N.A. players. I'm sure they'd prefer to have a few more Swedish stars on the club.

But what can you do? I don't see this changing anytime soon. With the money Pavel, Lids and Zetts are going to be earning over the next 5 years, the only way we get a North American star is by drafting one. And those kinds of players don't slip to the bottom very often.

Man would I love to have a kid like Kyle Turris or Sam Gagner in our system.

Agreed as well. This was one of the many reasons I was against a Salary Cap. Next to the Stanley Cups, the consistancy of the roster between 1995-2004 was the best part of being a Wings fan. Now the roster will change every year and it'll be tough to get that same connection we had with Yzerman, Shanny, Fedorov, McCarty, Lapointe, Holmstrom, Osgood, Brown, Murphy, Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, etc..

I think Bettman and the Owners assumed even with a Cap that the best markets would still sell out reguardless of the roster and how the team was doing. I'm glad we're not a guaranteed sell out like Toronto, I think we're making a big statement to the League by having about 2,500 unsold seats for playoff games and the Home Opener.

Guest jaytan

Well-run teams are still able to keep the core of their lineup together for several years. I mean, the key players for Detroit have only changed a little bit post-lockout and the most important guys on the team now will probably still be here for another five years (or until retirement). The cap isn't really too low, it's just that some idiotic GMs are paying too high and driving everybody's prices up.

I'd rather win a Cup with a 48 million salary than win one by paying a bunch of stars big bucks and spending 20 million more than most other teams.

Maybe Hockeytown isn't dead, but certainly the interest in the Red Wings has waned. It hasn't for me, and probably not many members here, but I think it has to casual fans. Can there be casual hockey fans? JLA isn't necessarily the place to be seen anymore. It's not trendy anymore, so there's fewer seats sold. These things fluctuate.

Its easier and cheaper to sit home watch it on TV. Hell I don't even start watching the games until around an hour after they drop the puck so we can watch them through commercial free. One top of that we get to replay the exciting plays, fights, ect.

Sure its fun to go down couple times a year and take in the crowd. Everyone who likes hockey should go once in a while. I've been to probably to over 50 games at Joe Louis over the years, but I can definatly understand why people don't go.

I am so damn sick of these negative articles.

I'm sorry, but the economy has a HUGE part in all of this. I don't care what anyone says because it's the freaking truth. These bastards make it seem like the Wings just all of a sudden fell off the face of the earth due to not being popular anymore and yadda yadda. BS. A horrible economic situation + high ticket prices don't mix well.

Guest DetroitIan

I am so damn sick of these negative articles.

I'm sorry, but the economy has a HUGE part in all of this. I don't care what anyone says because it's the freaking truth. These bastards make it seem like the Wings just all of a sudden fell off the face of the earth due to not being popular anymore and yadda yadda. BS. A horrible economic situation + high ticket prices don't mix well.

Yeah no doubt. Even yesterday's tsn article on the Red Wings victory, mentioned how its ironic that there are empty seats for a city that calls itself Hockeytown. Which is total BS. I can guaruntee that the Red Wings havent lost ONE FAN from as recent as the '97 Cup win. Not to mention the life-long Red Wings fans like myself. The Wings still have every fan they've always had. And Im sure the fanbase has grown since.

Edited by DetroitIan

Quick poll, other then being over an hour away and being Osgood (since we know why he didn't go) Why didn't you attend the game last night? The people here are what I would call Fanantics about the wings and there were tickets available, so why didn't you go?

Like the atmosphere of the boards here?

Gas to high?

I know a lot of people here are students so no money?

It was the opener so it shouldn't matter who they played. (Yes I too am tired of the same teams.)

To expensive to go to a game? (We spent $27.50 not including gas) (plus $108 for our season tickets per game) (no beer, no program)

No one to go with?

Price of a ticket? Would you go if they were cheaper?

Would you go if we got some tacky cheerleaders?

I'm just wondering why people didn't go??