• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aflac9262

10/8 GDT: Red Wings 4, Edmonton Oilers 2

Rate this topic

This should be a tough game, and if the wings hadn't just lost in a piss-poor effort to the Hawks I'd say it could even be a loss. BUT I think Babs will really whip the boys into a foaming rage and he'll be looking at this as a test of the new "speedier" style against the grinding rough game we expect to see from the Oilers.

The Oil will be coming into this game oozing with confidence, having just beaten a great Sharks team and a "definitely still from Philly" Flyers team. Look for them to play with a great deal of confidence. This is, however, still a club that had an utter melt-down last year after loosing their star player and I think a couple of unanswered goals from the Wings will break their back.

5-1 Wings (Zetterberg, Datsx2, Lids, Hudler) (Souray- who still manages to be -4 on the night)

Anyone else think it's adorable that Pik is in the second pairing but Sheldon "the cheese cloth" Souray is in the first pairing? I mean yeah, I understand they give Souray a massive payday, but he's a terrible defenseman and really shouldn't be out there unless it's a power play or the warm-up. :lol:

Edit: Here are the full details on my goal predictions (and yeah- they're more like fantasies, but I find it fun!)

1st Period:

Detroit Goal: Datsyuk from Filppula and Holmstrom

Detroit Goal: Zetterberg from Hudler and Lidstrom

Second Period:

Detroit Goal: Datsyuk from Zetterberg and Lidstrom (PP)

Edmonton Goal: Souray from Greene (PP)

Detroit Goal: Hudler from Zetterberg and Sammy

Third Period:

Detroit Goal: Lidstrom from Datsyuk and Zetterberg (PP)

Dats with 2 goals and a helper and Z with a goal and 3 helpers :D Sounds fun to me! :thumbup:

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Anyone else think it's adorable that Pik is in the second pairing but Sheldon "the cheese cloth" Souray is in the first pairing? I mean yeah, I understand they give Souray a massive payday, but he's a terrible defenseman and really shouldn't be out there unless it's a power play or the warm-up. :lol:

Yeah, not so much.

2-4 Edmonton

EDM: (Checks EDM lineup for any former Wings.....nope) Souray (PP), Horcoff x2 (One PP), Reasoner

DET: Zetterberg (PP), Sammeulson

Ulcerative Colitis...I can't even pronounce that. no idea what it is ethier. to google..."Ulcerative colitis is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of the rectum and colon. Ulcers form where inflammation has killed the cells that usually line the colon, then bleed and produce pus. Inflammation in the colon also causes the colon to empty frequently, causing diarrhea."

:butbut::crazy: sorry i asked.

Since babs puts filp on first line, I wonder why he doesnt throw huddles down to third line and put filp with zetterberg when Franzen returns. It really doesn tmatter though, I think hudler and filp have pretty comparitive playin styles

Babs wants Filppula to become a reliable second line centre while Hudler is clearly in the mold of a scoring Winger. Filppula lacks finishing skills, while Hudler lacks Filppula's defensive poise and has less overall hockey sense. They're two completely different players. Filppula is a playmaker with good defensive upside and Hudler is a pure goalscorer with a fantastic shot and nice set of hands.

Zetter's the assist-machine lately, it'll either be Rex being set up or Sammy.

How would that gall the boards? much? Little bit?

Sammy? Quite a bit probably :P. I'd certainly be confused/galled/happy. Rex? I'd be extremely happy. And only extremely happy.

Not that I'm surprised but great job once again on the GDT Aflac. :thumbup:

Should be an interesting game against a reformed Oilers team. Hopefully Flip makes the most out of his top-line duty, he certainly has the ability and now he also has more offensive linemates.

Let's Go Red Wings! :siren:

Well, since Downey isn't playing tonight, I need to change my predictions.

Still 4-1 Wings. Zetterberg, Rafalski, Chelios, and Drake will score. It's basically the same prediction I had before, except I replaced Downey with Drake for scoring a goal.

Disappointed in Babcock for not giving Downey a chance. He'll be off the team come October 22nd or whatever anyways because of this whole Grigorenko business, so I thought we might at least be able to see him play a little bit before then.

Oh well. Still looking forward to the game regardless.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Can't wait for game time, I'm alittle disappointed with how last game turned out but the Wings played hard. can't win them all.

Wings will win tonight, Pavel will score along with Rafalski again. and Filppula aswell.

Wings win 3-2

Lets bring another Win home boys :siren::clap:

Well, since Downey isn't playing tonight, I need to change my predictions.

Still 4-1 Wings. Zetterberg, Rafalski, Chelios, and Drake will score. It's basically the same prediction I had before, except I replaced Downey with Drake for scoring a goal.

Disappointed in Babcock for not giving Downey a chance. He'll be off the team come October 22nd or whatever anyways because of this whole Grigorenko business, so I thought we might at least be able to see him play a little bit before then.

Oh well. Still looking forward to the game regardless.

I'm willing to give Babs the benefit of the doubt on this one. Look at it this way: once Grigs is up to game shape Elis is basically glued to GR. At that point I'd say Downey has the best chance of a call up. Well maybe that's just wishful thinking, but it seems stupid for the Wings to sign Downey if they don't plan on playing him...

***((((hugs Aflac)))))*** we missed you!!

Now that we have an official, beautiful aflac-GDT, WIngs win!!

I will miss most of the game. Starts too early here for me to make it home in time, but I should catch the third perry-odd. Hope the DVR is working tonight!

Ya'll cheer 'em on for me, OK?

xo, loooo

I'm willing to give Babs the benefit of the doubt on this one. Look at it this way: once Grigs is up to game shape Elis is basically glued to GR. At that point I'd say Downey has the best chance of a call up. Well maybe that's just wishful thinking, but it seems stupid for the Wings to sign Downey if they don't plan on playing him...

I highly doubt Ellis will be the one going to GR and Downey will stay up. Downey is on a two-way contract, and can be sent down without problem now because they already cleared him through waivers. The organization has some fear that if they try to send Ellis down, somebody will claim him (I honestly don't know who would want him, though, because he's not a very good player).

I would like to be positive, but this team has some refusel to carrying an enforcer. When you look at who we got on this team now playing on the 4th lines and such, Downey is no worse a player then some of them (Kopecky and Ellis come to mind). But, as it happens, I still don't see him playing here much at all, if he even does play a regular season game.

The Wings signed him, but I don't know why they even did to be honest. I'm getting a sense they have absolutley no intention of playing him at all. Here a spot opens up, yet they call on a guy who has less NHL expierence, and doesn't do hardly anything. For those who cite bringing energy to the lineup as a reason to play Ellis, you need to find a better one. Draper, Drake, Maltby, hell even Kronwall all bring energy to the lineup.

There's still a bit of time before Grigorenko get's called back up, but unless another injury comes to pass, I seriously doubt Downey will ever play a single game this season. It's a shame, too, because he's worked really hard all training camp and preseason, and he's probably the only guy the Wings have that is willing to drop the gloves and defend his teammates on a regular basis.

I highly doubt Ellis will be the one going to GR and Downey will stay up. Downey is on a two-way contract, and can be sent down without problem now because they already cleared him through waivers. The organization has some fear that if they try to send Ellis down, somebody will claim him (I honestly don't know who would want him, though, because he's not a very good player).

I would like to be positive, but this team has some refusel to carrying an enforcer. When you look at who we got on this team now playing on the 4th lines and such, Downey is no worse a player then some of them (Kopecky and Ellis come to mind). But, as it happens, I still don't see him playing here much at all, if he even does play a regular season game.

The Wings signed him, but I don't know why they even did to be honest. I'm getting a sense they have absolutley no intention of playing him at all. Here a spot opens up, yet they call on a guy who has less NHL expierence, and doesn't do hardly anything. For those who cite bringing energy to the lineup as a reason to play Ellis, you need to find a better one. Draper, Drake, Maltby, hell even Kronwall all bring energy to the lineup.

There's still a bit of time before Grigorenko get's called back up, but unless another injury comes to pass, I seriously doubt Downey will ever play a single game this season. It's a shame, too, because he's worked really hard all training camp and preseason, and he's probably the only guy the Wings have that is willing to drop the gloves and defend his teammates on a regular basis.

I agree with you 95%. I think Downey will see time in a Wings uni this season. There will be injuries where more than one starter is out (there always is around Feb and March) and Downey will have a chance to show that he should be the #1 replacement for any player that is out. Trust me, he will have plenty of chances to come up this season.

...the wings will play another ho-hum boring game and win it or lose it in OT or at the very end. more than likely lose it. Wings = Boring Hockey. datsyuk & Hasek = OVERPAID!!! Should have traded Datsyuk when he was worth something...

Your a regular ray of sunshine. Now f*** off. :rolleyes:

This should be a tough game, and if the wings hadn't just lost in a piss-poor effort to the Hawks I'd say it could even be a loss. BUT I think Babs will really whip the boys into a foaming rage and he'll be looking at this as a test of the new "speedier" style against the grinding rough game we expect to see from the Oilers.

Don't expect a grinding game from the Oilers this year...

Theyre back to "oilers hockey".

:ph34r: