• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Zetterberg vs. Datsyuk

Rate this topic

What is more important to a tree, Water or Sunlight?

Zetterberg is water. He can fit anywhere, he can flow or he can crash. He brings life to the dryness of the tree (struggling offense). While Datsyuk is sunlight. When the tree (the team) is in darkness (struggling) he can bring light and lead them through it. Also, at his will he can drench a foe in darkness.

Apples and oranges. Gretzky and Howe.

BTW, I choose Pavel. The argument that Z is a better leader is RIDICULOUS coming from anyone who does not have a locker in JLA. Babs says both "lead by example" and they both have 'A's and they are on the best line in hockey (currently). But, when Pavel has the puck, I know that something can and probably will happen in the Wings favor. Z is the same way, but I feel it more from Pavel.

And if we want to get technical about who is "more valuable" to the team:

Pavel Datsyuk 07-08 Salary- $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg 07-08 Salary- $2,700,000

I expect it to be much closer in 09-10.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Zetterberg is water. He can fit anywhere, he can flow or he can crash. He brings life to the dryness of the tree (struggling offense). While Datsyuk is sunlight. When the tree (the team) is in darkness (struggling) he can bring light and lead them through it. Also, at his will he can drench a foe in darkness.

BTW, I choose Pavel. The argument that Z is a better leader is RIDICULOUS coming from anyone who does not have a locker in JLA. Babs says both "lead by example" and they both have 'A's and they are on the best line in hockey (currently). But, when Pavel has the puck, I know that something can and probably will happen in the Wings favor. Z is the same way, but I feel it more from Pavel.

How is the leadership argument ridiculous when not only did Hank get the A before Datsyuk AND Chelios, but hes lso been touted to be the next Red Wings captain since his locker was placed next to Stevies.

How is the leadership argument ridiculous when not only did Hank get the A before Datsyuk AND Chelios, but hes lso been touted to be the next Red Wings captain since his locker was placed next to Stevies.

Who is touting him as the next Wings captain besides the media and fans? Has Holland or Babcock or even Yzerman said thay he is next. The next captain was Lidstrom. Who was next to Yzerman BEFORE Zetterberg? Why weren't they named captain?

Are you saying that Zetterberg is a better leader than Chelios also? Where is the proof? Chelios was captain of the Blackhawks and Team USA (the latter because of experience, not so much leadership).

Nothing is certain. He may not even sign with the Wings in 09-10. Bigger surprises have happened in the NHL and on the Wings.

ALL IS SPECULATION

There is a quote... someone had it in their sig last year... from either babs or holland I believe talking about how "there is a reason he(Zetterberg) sits next to Yzerman in the lockeroom..."

I cannot find it but here's a press article from when Lids was named captain.

Lidstrom, 36, joined the team for the 1991-92 season. He is the longest-serving member of the squad and arguably the Wing's best player. In June he won his fourth straight Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman.

Teammate Henrik Zetterberg, the team's second-leading scorer last season behind Pavel Datysuk, also was thought to be in the running for the captaincy. At the Wings' request, Zetterberg sat next to Yzerman in the locker room to learn from the veteran leader.

Zetter has been being groomed for the Captaincy for a while now.

Who is touting him as the next Wings captain besides the media and fans? Has Holland or Babcock or even Yzerman said thay he is next.

"Zetterberg will be a captain on this team one day," Holland said. "Is it now? Is the time right? Draper is a leading candidate. We have a lot of options.

"I want to see what Steve thinks, the staff thinks, talk to Mike and I have my own thoughts, and we'll come to a conclusion. We certainly have candidates."

This was in the Detroit News on July 4, 2006.

I would personally prefer Z, but I do love having both of them.

Datsyuk was offered an A last season but declined because he felt his english wasn't good enough. I'll try to find a link but it was mentioned when he was given the A this season. Just to clear things up a little.

From his website, Babcock said:

"When (Steve) Yzerman left (in 2006), I talked to Pav about being an assistant captain and he told me he wasn't ready, his English wasn't good enough," Babcock said. "Well, I've been around him and his English is good enough. We're letting everyone know he's an important part of our leadership group."

The story comes from George James Malik October 02, 2007.

Edited by GreatGS

Terrible thread idea, I'm going to go with Datsyuk of course but this is bad to compare and make people pick from two players on the Wings.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg both are extremly extremly valueble to the team. I don't think we would be as good without either of them, but if I had to pick one of the other I pick Datsyuk but it would kill me to lose Z. Homer as well.

Jeez, I hope datsyuk doesn't read these forums.

I'm a little surprised that everyone is picking Zata. I have to say, Dats is a little less dependent on the tandem, I'd go with him.

Not that I want anything to do with this debate, but this statement is very arguable.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest jaytan

Zetterberg's definitely more important, but I'm not really much of a Datsyuk fan. Zetterberg works harder, provides more leadership, is a better defensive player and arguably better on offense as well. Datsyuk is good and very skilled, but he's still got some holes in his game and persona (plus, he's overpaid).

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you put quotations there to indicate your were making a joke, because if you were serious, its a pretty ridiculous statement.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Terrible thread idea,

It's not terrible, because they're not in competition with eachother in the same way... oh, I don't know, a Hasek and Osgood thread would highlight. That will turn into a mess.

Yzerfan's original post says outright that it's not a knock on either guy. They're both extremely valuable assets to the team, but if it came down to making a trade for someone we really needed (i.e., in the event of a Luongo-caliber goalie coming available) ... I'm betting Holland keeps Z.

And again, that's no jab at Dats. They're different players (wouldn't care to use the hackneyed "apple and oranges" analogy, because people usually say that to deflect actually giving an answer), but value does have a measuring line.

It's not really going to happen though, so we'll never have to go there in outright saying who matters more to management.

Edited by Flip-check

Zetterberg's definitely more important, but I'm not really much of a Datsyuk fan. Zetterberg works harder, provides more leadership, is a better defensive player and arguably better on offense as well. Datsyuk is good and very skilled, but he's still got some holes in his game and persona (plus, he's overpaid).

I disagree on that Zetterberg works harder, He may provide more leadership as of now. Datsyuk and Zetterberg play a different type of game, and their skills show in different ways. I don't agree with your comment on Z being better defensive wise either Datsyuk is a good two way player he steals the puck (more) and better than anyone in the league. Z is good but he don't take the puck from the other team on the PK and take off down the ice with it like Pavel does. Pavel deserves the money he gets and I'd say for his term we got him cheap considering his game is only getting better and better.

Both are great players but I think your being alittle to harsh on Pavel. He compliments Z's game more than people realize.

and last season when Z was hurt Pavel played just fine if not better.

If you want a debate, you should have the "battle of the LGW goldenboys" Z or Lids? who's more valuable.

Golden Boys :lol::clap:

Edited by WingNutt

Guest jaytan

I just don't feel like we can trust Datsyuk in the most important situations yet. He's less consistent and it shows in the playoffs and on the road. Zetterberg is a really solid player and when it comes time, I'd pay him as much as Datsyuk's getting. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel badly about trading Datsyuk if the right opportunity presented itself.

I just don't feel like we can trust Datsyuk in the most important situations yet. He's less consistent and it shows in the playoffs and on the road. Zetterberg is a really solid player and when it comes time, I'd pay him as much as Datsyuk's getting. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel badly about trading Datsyuk if the right opportunity presented itself.

fair enough not going to argue with you its just a matter of difference in opinion you probably think Crosby is better than Ovechkin too but as far as last years playoffs went, Datsyuk really stepped up.

Edited by WingNutt

How can you have a penut butter and jelly samwich without the penut butter and jelly?!! But to be honest I am leaning towards Dats. I think when he starts shooting more he will be as good as Z and then some. Not to mention he has some sick moves.

Guest jaytan

He did better than he had done before, but it still didn't seem like he was playing to his full abilities. I'd like him to get better, but we'll see.

And I'm pretty sure everybody thinks Crosby is better than Ovechkin. Come on now. :P