• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

Zetterberg vs. Datsyuk

Rate this topic

How can you have a penut butter and jelly samwich without the penut butter and jelly?!! But to be honest I am leaning towards Dats. I think when he starts shooting more he will be as good as Z and then some. Not to mention he has some sick moves.

Sick moves or difficult to knock off the puck...........I'll take difficult to knock off the puck any day.

Ack, why did I say anything? I promised myself I wasn't going to get involved in this thead.

Sick moves or difficult to knock off the puck...........I'll take difficult to knock off the puck any day.

Ack, why did I say anything? I promised myself I wasn't going to get involved in this thead.

i didn't want to enter into this debate, either. :blush: but datsyuk is strong on the puck. and he battles along the boards about as good as anyone for his size. there'll be two players stacked behind dats along the boards fighting for the puck and more often than not datsyuk will either skate away with it, or pass it out. he's pretty remarkable in the way he thinks the game. he's almost always a step ahead of the opposition, defensively and offensively. i don't think he gets enough credit.

now, i'm not saying datsyuk is better than z, or more valuable, but i will say i think it's a harder distinction to make than a lot of people are making it out to be. it's hard to compare them because they have different styles. but the bottom line is that their styles complement each other very well and neither would be the player he is now if the other wasn't there.

Interesting debate

Don't kill me for making this thread - I DID look up the topic in the search engine and had no similar threads within the last year, so I think its time to revisit the topic.

By no means do I mean to reduce the value of either player by debating this - we have the luxury of having both - hopefully for a long time.

Personally I like Zetterberg's game a bit more. He seems like a great leader, he is not afraid to shoot the puck, and he plays with a little more physicality then Pavel, and while Datsyuk has some absolutely sick stick handling skills, Zetterberg is not so shabby himself.

What do you guys think?

I am really hoping Holland signs Zetterberg to en extension similar to Datsyuk's. Maybe that is one of the reasons he left some cap room this summer?

Thoughts? Who would you guys choose to build a team around?

...first off Zetterberg ISN'T a UFA until 2009, so the cap room for this summer will not be spent on him (or anyone of significance because he will need it for Zetterberg in summer 2009...) We'll have another dissappointing UFA season in 2008...

...second, hands down Zetterberg gets the spot and the money. I'll trade Datsyuk to free up the money in order to sign Zetterberg if it comes down to it...

i didn't want to enter into this debate, either. :blush:but datsyuk is strong on the puck. and he battles along the boards about as good as anyone for his size. there'll be two players stacked behind dats along the boards fighting for the puck and more often than not datsyuk will either skate away with it, or pass it out. he's pretty remarkable in the way he thinks the game. he's almost always a step ahead of the opposition, defensively and offensively. i don't think he gets enough credit.

now, i'm not saying datsyuk is better than z, or more valuable, but i will say i think it's a harder distinction to make than a lot of people are making it out to be. it's hard to compare them because they have different styles. but the bottom line is that their styles complement each other very well and neither would be the player he is now if the other wasn't there.

Actually I don't agree with you here. His shiftiness makes it easier for him to get knocked off the puck, but at the same time, that same shiftiness also sets up so many plays that result in goals. That being said, Zetterberg is much stronger on the puck.

The cliches about these two are kindof strange. Datsyuk definately sets up scoring opportunities just as often, he's also been generating a lot of chances off take-aways (Useless stat, I know, but he led the league in take-aways last seasom). While "playmaker" Hank has been putting up the points. A lot of people seem to be clinging to their ideas about these guys from two years ago while they've both improved significantly in their weak areas. I want to give the edge to Hank because he's younger but back injuries always make me think twice so I won't make a call.

The Classic Battle!!

Zetterberg is more valuable to the team just by a hair, but I'm partial to Datsyuk because is sick moves are amazing. Thats just me though.

Actually I don't agree with you here. His shiftiness makes it easier for him to get knocked off the puck, but at the same time, that same shiftiness also sets up so many plays that result in goals. That being said, Zetterberg is much stronger on the puck.

he's not strong on the puck in the sense that it's hard to get him off the puck physically, but in the sense it's hard to get a hold of him because he's shifty. zetterberg is stronger physically on the puck, but the end result is tha, i'd say, they both end up with the puck at about the same rate.

he's not strong on the puck in the sense that it's hard to get him off the puck physically, but in the sense it's hard to get a hold of him because he's shifty. zetterberg is stronger physically on the puck, but the end result is tha, i'd say, they both end up with the puck at about the same rate.

:D

No worries, it wasn't a knock on Dats. I just feel that Z being stronger on the puck is more important than Dats' shiftiness. Obviously, thats debatable to some.

What I will say is that Dats' shiftiness does in fact allow him to evade defenders, which in turn allows him to hold on to the puck.

:D

No worries, it wasn't a knock on Dats. I just feel that Z being stronger on the puck is more important than Dats' shiftiness. Obviously, thats debatable to some.

my point is that they're each as effective as the other when it comes to keeping the puck.

my point is that they're each as effective as the other when it comes to keeping the puck.

But when the Wings are losing, I'd much rather have Z's strength on the puck rather than Dats' shiftiness. Everyone loves when Dats pulls those moves when the Wings are ahead or even tied for that matter, but it really irritates me when he tries those moves when the team is losing.

My point is: Z's strength on the puck > Dat's shiftiness with the puck

But when the Wings are losing, I'd much rather have Z's strength on the puck rather than Dats' shiftiness. Everyone loves when Dats pulls those moves when the Wings are ahead or even tied for that matter, but it really irritates me when he tries those moves when the team is losing.

My point is: Z's strength on the puck > Dat's shiftiness with the puck

if you're conceding that each is as effective as the other when it comes to keeping the puck, the what does it matter if one does if physically and one does it shiftily? i guess we just disagree. i think they're different means to the same end.

If I may, I think we should stop posting in this thread. Not a knock on the starter, it is a good topic. But everytime one of these things gets started something happens to one of the topic players (injury) and we end up seeing how valuable they are.

They are equals. Some negatives, mostly positives. LET'S STOP THE MADNESS OF CHOOSING!!!

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

if you're conceding that each is as effective as the other when it comes to keeping the puck, the what does it matter if one does if physically and one does it shiftily? i guess we just disagree. i think they're different means to the same end.

That's the thing though, I don't feel each is as effective as the other when it comes to keeping the puck. If I felt Dats' shiftiness allowed him to hold onto the puck as much as Z's strength on it I would have agreed with you from the get go. However, I don't see it that way, and as you said, it looks like you and I will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate the debate though.

Sidenote: Shiftily :lol: Great word!

That's the thing though, I don't feel each is as effective as the other when it comes to keeping the puck. If I felt Dats' shiftiness allowed him to hold onto the puck as much as Z's strength on it I would have agreed with you from the get go. However, I don't see it that way, and as you said, it looks like you and I will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate the debate though.

Sidenote: Shiftily :lol: Great word!

fair enough. :cool:

Guest jaytan

If I may, I think we should stop posting in this thread. Not a knock on the starter, it is a good topic. But everytime one of these things gets started something happens to one of the topic players (injury) and we end up seeing how valuable they are.

They are equals. Some negatives, mostly positives. LET'S STOP THE MADNESS OF CHOOSING!!!

Who do you think is better, Lilja or Flippula?

While personally I love Z and just think he is the best thing to happen to Detorit in a while. But a hell of a arguement can be made in the Dats corner. Last year towards the end of the season, with Z hurt, Dats really turned it up. And again, in the playoffs, he was amazing.

Its one of those things, i'm happy they're both on our side.

I'd like to see an actual argument as to why Zetterberg is more important to the team. Hank has had a great start but I think Pav will lead the team in scoring again. As for the Wings' brass, they certainly spoke loudly with the contract they inked Pavel to. When the time comes, Hank will get a similar deal and it's hard to compare the contracts as a measure worth given the situational differences (i.e. timing, the greenstin stunt, and Hank getting fleeced with no development factored in) It's a damn hard question to answer and I think the ones that say: "Hank hands down" are likely doing so emotionally. Anywho...

I guess im in the minority that thinks this is a no-brainer....its Zetterberg.

Nah, I'm in that catagory too. ;)

Zetterberg excels over Datsyuk in virtually every catagory, except Zetterberg isn't as pinball flashy as Datsyuk is. Still, when it comes down to other things like offensive ability, defensive ability, leadership, physicality, and a whole crop of other stuff, having more flashy dekes really doesn't mean anything.

Not to take anything away from Datsyuk, but Zetterberg is a much better player in my opinion. I feel as though he's the cornerstone of the team, not Datsyuk. But hey, that's just me.

Zetterberg excels over Datsyuk in virtually every catagory, except Zetterberg isn't as pinball flashy as Datsyuk is. Still, when it comes down to other things like offensive ability, defensive ability, leadership, physicality, and a whole crop of other stuff, having more flashy dekes really doesn't mean anything.

I know Datsyuk is known for flashiness, but he has Hank beat in out and out puck and stickhandling. Zetter is great... but he will never be able to embarrass Dmen or control the way Pavel can.

But I agree, I consider Z to be the all around more complete player.

And that's probably the concensus that general management has too.

Nah, I'm in that catagory too. ;)

Not to take anything away from Datsyuk, but Zetterberg is a much better player in my opinion. I feel as though he's the cornerstone of the team, not Datsyuk. But hey, that's just me.

Yawn. Like I said, I've yet to see a real argument as to why Hank is better. You don't support anything you say. I esp. like the physicality supposition. Wake up. These two are essentially skill players and commenting on their relative physicality is like saying your Pinto is more of a "muscle car" than your brother's Omni.