• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Earthhuman

Hockey Night In Canada

Rate this topic

At about 10 minute mark in the 2nd, Toronto game, announcer says, "... He would go out on the ice and play s***ty... and still be better than the other guys."

I think he said s***ty, anyway.

Just a lol moment.

As a rule, Canadians are far less hung up on profanity making it onto the airwaves than Americans are. You could see the Sopranos unedited on basic network TV (CTV) and the CBC frequently runs documentaries and movies unedited, not to mention countless other networks. Our History channel runs Deadwood unedited and CTV also ran the Osbournes unedited. I always thought it was kind of funny that if an American wanted to see the Osbournes unedited he had to tune into basic Canadian TV to do it.

FYI - CTV and CBC would be akin to ABC, NBC and CBS in America. Available on the airwaves and basic cable to everyone.

As for sports though, I imagine what happened tonight was an unintentional slip. You don't normally hear that from the commentators.

Edited by One of the Few

Ya, I assume that this was just an unintentional mistake. However, from what I hear from some of my American friends, Canadians look at the word "s***" as far less inappropriate than Americans do. In celebration of that fact, I think I'll go out and use the word "s***" excessively right now!

Edited by handyandy_101

If you ever watch "The Hour" with george strombolopolous, you will often hear words like "bulls***", or "*******".

Greg Millen.. he said "Shinny". Was clearly audible.. and made sense in context. Talking about George Armstrong skating with the Marlies.. or something along those lines.

Guest LivingtheDream

That's nothing. The other day I was watching TV and a guy said TITillating! Can you imagine that? Another time a guy said ca ca.

you'd be surprised on what you hear on Canadian TV. they drop the f bomb like there is no tomorrow. along with a few other choice words.

I'd like to know what program other than Sopranos "drops the F bomb like no tomorrow" on Canadian tv. Unless you're talking about late night shows like Ed the Sock and Baby Blue 2 lol. Other than that you're full of bologni. And late night doesn't count anyways.

I'd like to know what program other than Sopranos "drops the F bomb like no tomorrow" on Canadian tv. Unless you're talking about late night shows like Ed the Sock and Baby Blue 2 lol. Other than that you're full of bologni. And late night doesn't count anyways.

ever heard of trailer park boys?

I hear them swear on prime time quite a bit...and its not the trailer park boys.

oh yea and its bologna.

Greg Millen.. he said "Shinny". Was clearly audible.. and made sense in context. Talking about George Armstrong skating with the Marlies.. or something along those lines.

Yeah, this is correct. For a split second, I thought he said "s***ty," too.

However, from what I hear from some of my American friends, Canadians look at the word "s***" as far less inappropriate than Americans do.

Same... I grew up getting in s*** for saying something like "damn" but "s***" was fine..... :huh: ..... ;)

Edited by T-Ruff

I remember flipping through channels when I was younger and as I passed CBC...there was some movie with some woman running around naked. And we're talking full-frontal nudity.

So, needless to say, Canadians aren't as hung up on this inconsequential stuff as we United Staters. :lol:

you'd be surprised on what you hear on Canadian TV. they drop the f bomb like there is no tomorrow. along with a few other choice words.

That's not true. Certain shows will give disclaimers when they start about language, shows like 'Chef Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares', but don't go giving the impression that our newscasters swear when they are giving us the daily reports. The shows with strong language are on later in the evening on cable channels. You wont hear anyone swearing on daytime TV.

For me the issue isn't that somebody swore on Canadian TV. It's the fact that American TV and culture is so censored and watered down.

Swearing, nudity and sex are regular on TV here in Britain and all across Europe. It's no big deal. Just look at all the fuss caused by the Janet Jackson 'incident' at the Super Bowl. It just highlighted how prudish American society is that an incident which was basically nothing could cause such outrage! The Janet Jackson incident made the news here but it basically held the Americans to ridicule over how pathetic it all was.

That's not true. Certain shows will give disclaimers when they start about language, shows like 'Chef Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares', but don't go giving the impression that our newscasters swear when they are giving us the daily reports. The shows with strong language are on later in the evening on cable channels. You wont hear anyone swearing on daytime TV.

yes i know that. but as an American coming to Canada and watching Canadian tv for the first time, I was a bit shocked on the language on certain tv shows. nathan was like "what you guys don't have this?" yes American tv is so watered down now its no fun. you get in trouble for saying damn. between child hood obesity and swearing on tv, the us is going to the crapper. we cant win.

Guest Crymson

Why is this an issue to you, or to anyone for that matter?

Why is this an issue to you, or to anyone for that matter?

its not an issue to me. i just thought that when i started dating nathan that it was different. I was never used to hearing stuff like that on tv. now i could care less.