• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 NFL Draft Thread

Rate this topic

The way I see it, their are 6 can't miss players for this upcoming draft.

Glen Dorsey

Darren McFadden (if he goes)

Jake Long

Chris Long

James Laurinaitis

Antoine Cason

I would be happy with any of the 6 if there is anyway we can grab one.

Heard someone on Sports Radio suggest we trade Roy Williams to the Cowboys for their first 2 picks. He made it sound like Williams hates it in Detroit, and we will lose him after next year anyway. If thats the case I am all for it.

I really don't know that you're getting 2 first round picks for Roy Williams--and if you can, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. WRs really aren't that hard to find. Green Bay's "Big Five" are a 7th round pick, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, a FA signing, and an undrafted free agent. Maybe you aren't going to dig up someone quite as good, but there are plenty of effective wideouts out there.

Plus that would let Millen use at least one of the 3 first-rounders on another WR, which is always good for some laughs.

Heard someone on Sports Radio suggest we trade Roy Williams to the Cowboys for their first 2 picks. He made it sound like Williams hates it in Detroit, and we will lose him after next year anyway. If thats the case I am all for it.

I think whoever said that is probably dreaming. I cant imagine Dallas giving us both their 1st rounders for Roy...1st and 2nd sounds alot more plausible. If they did though, man...a trade like that would be HUGE. I'd take Harvey, then Jonathan Smith the RB from Oregon with Dallas' 22nd overall(if he were available). After that, with the 'Boys other pick and your own 2nd rounder, target OL, MLB, or CB,...whatever's the best option at the time. By trading Roy, you just have to hope Calvin steps up to the hype.

Of course that also would open up the possibility of signing Derek Anderson...as with the 2 extra picks from Dallas it would make losing the compensation picks much less of a blow. Hmmm....tough call cause im not sure he's worth the risk and i have hope for Stanton.

I think whoever said that is probably dreaming. I cant imagine Dallas giving us both their 1st rounders for Roy...1st and 2nd sounds alot more plausible. If they did though, man...a trade like that would be HUGE. I'd take Harvey, then Jonathan Smith the RB from Oregon with Dallas' 22nd overall(if he were available). After that, with the 'Boys other pick and your own 2nd rounder, target OL, MLB, or CB,...whatever's the best option at the time. By trading Roy, you just have to hope Calvin steps up to the hype.

Yeah I agree it's dreaming. For what it's worth they said Dallas' 1st round, and 2nd round. Not 2 1st rounders, and I think you mean Jonathan Stewart from Oregon? I would draft him too....

Yeah I agree it's dreaming. For what it's worth they said Dallas' 1st round, and 2nd round. Not 2 1st rounders, and I think you mean Jonathan Stewart from Oregon? I would draft him too....

Oops, yep i meant Stewart! I'd still do the first and second rd picks for Roy....even though i do really like him. Just makes sense for them to make a move like that with so many holes (which is why it wont happen!!)

Cleveland plans on keeping Anderson.

Ben Roethlisberger has told management he'd like a big WR for next season.

Lions don't have to trade Roy to someone in Texas.

Roy has also come out and said he'd like to stay in Detroit and play with CJ. I think once Martz left Roy changed his mind.

Also if Detroit were to select a DE with their 1st pick I'd rather have Vernon Gohlston.

So would I but Gohlston is a top 10 pick. Lions are picking 15. Goholston will not be there when the lions make their pick.

I am intrigued with the trading up to grab Stewart. Stewart is going to be a stud in the NFL.

Cleveland plans on keeping Anderson.

Ben Roethlisberger has told management he'd like a big WR for next season.

Lions don't have to trade Roy to someone in Texas.

Roy has also come out and said he'd like to stay in Detroit and play with CJ. I think once Martz left Roy changed his mind.

When did you hear this? Last i heard they planned on giving him just the 1yr qualifying offer, which is what you have to do to get the compensation picks when he signs somewhere else for a multiyear deal.

Interesting. That could seriously backfire if Anderson has a ho hum year next season. Theres alot of picks that they could potentially pick up by letting him walk.

Anyone watching the NFL Combine this weekend? I absolutely love NFL network's coverage of this event.

Run DMC is absolutely gonna be a sick NFL player. I wouldn't be surprised if a contender makes a bold move to pick him up (Dallas) to grab him and throw him right in the fire.

I also think Mike Hart's stock was hurt a bit with the 40 yard dash. He had one of the slower times and to the NFL teams, that is all that matters.

Edited by timothy1997

I hate the combine. It's a place where guys can make up for being not especially good football players by making scouts say goo-goo-ga-ga over workouts. Never draft a guy whose "stock is shooting up at the combine." It means nobody thought he was worthy of drafting high when he was actually playing games, but they sure look good in an insulated, controlled environment. The combine is helpful maybe for these D-IAA types who you don't really know whether they looked good because of the competition or because of their actual talent, but BCS guys have more than enough game tape to show whether or not they can play.

I hate the combine. It's a place where guys can make up for being not especially good football players by making scouts say goo-goo-ga-ga over workouts. Never draft a guy whose "stock is shooting up at the combine." It means nobody thought he was worthy of drafting high when he was actually playing games, but they sure look good in an insulated, controlled environment. The combine is helpful maybe for these D-IAA types who you don't really know whether they looked good because of the competition or because of their actual talent, but BCS guys have more than enough game tape to show whether or not they can play.

how else is players like Delaware QB Joe Flacco gonna get a chance then?

The interesting part of the combine is watching these "never heard of players" perform well and show they have what it takes to be drafted on draft day.

I've never understood how someone putting up extra reps on the bench press means they'll be a better football player.

I hate the combine as well. It's just a place where bad players go to earn a draft spot, since we all know there are all too many teams in any league that have such bad management that they'll draft a guy because he lift more weight than anyone else, even though he may be the slowest thing on the planet.

how else is players like Delaware QB Joe Flacco gonna get a chance then?

The interesting part of the combine is watching these "never heard of players" perform well and show they have what it takes to be drafted on draft day.

Well, just like I said, it's helpful for the D-IAA types like Flacco.

I never said the combine is useless. I said I don't like it. The results that come out of the combine are wildly overrated. It's almost as if the combine results are weighted 50/50 with the actual gameplay. For most of these players, the combine ought to factor in maybe 5-10% of the evaluation.

If they're a never-heard-of-em type player, scouts oughta take a hard look at why they've never heard of them. If they play for Delaware, OK. You're not gonna see them on ESPN much. If it's a sleeper-type player from a BCS school who is just now at the combine showing he "has what it takes to get drafted," then you have to wonder why he waited til the combine to show it.

I've never understood how someone putting up extra reps on the bench press means they'll be a better football player.

I agree. I love how all these draft "experts" admit it doesn't matter, but 1 second later make a big deal of someone because of it.

I saw Devon Thomas ran a 4.3 something...pretty impressive

I saw Devon Thomas ran a 4.3 something...pretty impressive

Yep. He really impressed me today.

Hart and Super Mario had a rough day today and now need to have a great showing on their Michigan pro day in order to be drafted on saturday. Hart IMO, will be drafted on the 2nd day anyway. Manningham at one point looked like a first round draft pick. Now i think he can be 3rd-4th.

Edited by timothy1997

Yep. He really impressed me today.

Hart and Super Mario had a rough day today and now need to have a great showing on their Michigan pro day in order to be drafted on saturday. Hart IMO, will be drafted on the 2nd day anyway. Manningham at one point looked like a first round draft pick. Now i think he can be 3rd-4th.

Yeah it was no shocker Hart had a bad 40. He isn't known for his speed, and even though Manningham isn't really known as a burner I expected a much better showing then what he did. He needs to step up, or he will lose some big time money.

Hart's vertical was only a half inch better then Jake Long's!