• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

Apologize if I type over anybody's thoughts already but here's my info...

While I wish the Wings could have performed better against their own division so far, in the overall perspective so far this season we still couldn't ask for much/anything more. In the grand scheme of things, the Wings have been ridiculously good.

The Wings have added some more toughness and guys willing to stand up for players in a more primary role in Drake and Downey. Perhaps not the greatest and elite and doing such things but the way people have moaned and yelled about this forever, whether it's legit or overdramatized, it's definitely better than nothing.

The big three on offense have been performing splendidly, same as Lidstrom.

Albeit from a brainfart pass every now and again, Rafalski has definitely been worth the signing, espeically on the powerplay.

Secondary scoring took a while, but it's going really well now in Rex and Flipper and Cleary now Franzen a bit. Hopefully this can keep up and Samuelsson can get himself going more consistently and they will be really tough to be offensively.

Osgood has performed phenomenal when Hasek was struggling early and hasn't dropped his play at all. And Hasek has gotten going recently as well. They have two very capable goaltenders presently that can play a major part in determining the Wings success in the postseason (much more positively than negatively I think).

Overall, I'm fairly content with the defense, but it wouldn't hurt to not necessarily add a bruiser, but somewhere from a 3rd - 5th guy on defense who isn't afraid to throw his body around (if realisitc within the salary cap and such, sorry I'm not good with names and suggestions).

They have the same mojo as last year's team late in the season and playoffs I think. A team that won't necessarily dominate you physically or continously initiate contact and checks, but they bust their behinds off and skate hard, and will not back down from anybody and aren't afraid to match people in the checking/physical department.

The roster does not need to be tinkered with all that much, if at all. It wouldn't hurt to add a defenseman as I stated above or another guy who is fit to score goals every now and again in a 2nd/3rd line role. Again though, not much (if any) patchwork needs to be done on the roster.

The only thing I worry about in the playoffs is running into the hot goalie syndrome, because at least for now (sorry if I sound too confident or arrogant) think it would be difficult to pick 1 team to beat the Red Wings consistently in a 7-game series. Obviously though much still needs to be determined on the ice and I cautiously am optimistic.

#42 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

This Wings team is phenomenal. I really can't say much about them that hasn't been said already. Amazing.

Great post, BRTD. clap.gif
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#43 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

So far, this season has been great!
The only thing that's hacked me off was that three-game mini slump in November.
I'm still cautiously optimistic. The way the NHL is anything can happen in the second half and the post-season.

#44 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

I worry greatly about the Central division record. IF the wings were to draw The Blues or The Blackhawks in the post season I would be very worried.
I know that multiple game series is different than once here and once there. But still, as stated before, they have 14 games down the stretch against the central, and as it is right now they have a horrendous record against the south.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#45 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Matt @ January 3, 2008 - 02:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Wings maintain this pace (not likely, but who would've believed they would've maintained the pace through 41?) if Babcock does not win the Jack Adams trophy it's a travesty. In my mind he is, hands down, the best coach in the NHL today.

Logically, Babcock is the only choice.

Although, I have a feeling that if the Ducks make the playoffs, the league will decide to award Randy Carlyle with the Jack Adams. dry.gif

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#46 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

Absolutely an excellent post! clap.gif What more could be said about this team. This team IS a machine right now, and has all the fixins for a great post-season. I'd be cautious to add anyone to this line up, sometimes the best moves are the ones we don't make. I firmly believe adding "Bert' last season did more harm than good, I'd hate to mess up chemistry for the sake of adding a name.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#47 Chase

Chase

jesus on skates

• Bronze Booster
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

Great post, I gotta agree with pretty much everything said. And what Matt said was right, if Babs does not win the Jack Adams trophy, it would be a travesty.

The Wings have really surprised me thus far. If you look at their starting line up (when everyone is healthy), you would say "Zetterberg should have a break out year... Datsyuk is pretty good... Homer is big on the powerplay... Lids is well, the best... Hasek is the dominator... Osgood is a solid backup... Huds/Flip is alright..." and thats about it. We really dont have a star-studded line up like we have in the past. But everybody is stepping their game up, and everybody looks hungry. I see more hustle out of this team than any other before.

Heres to a great second half of the year boys. beerchug.gif
---StevieY Fan---