• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Wings to make offer for Sundin?

Rate this topic

Guest jaytan

I don't think this would be worth doing. He's not valuable enough to trade for because I don't think he'd win us the Cup.

Well, this IS the Leafs' management we're talking about here. Maybe Kenny can throw in something shiny to distract them :)

Or an old, washed up player. Toronto absolutely loves them.

Maltby, a 10th (reminding that players such as Hasek have been found in the 10th round), and you can call it a deal. And if they STILL wont cave... throw in Lilja or Samuelsson. BUT NOT BOTH.

Or an old, washed up player. Toronto absolutely loves them.

Maltby, a 10th (reminding that players such as Hasek have been found in the 10th round), and you can call it a deal. And if they STILL wont cave... throw in Lilja or Samuelsson. BUT NOT BOTH.

Yeah christmas isn't for another, what 350+ days... too good to be true :lol:

Just kidding... i am on the fence with both of them... neither have made me jump over this year yet.

Edited by OsGOD

:thumbdown:

The fact some are mentioning Kindl, Howard and Hudler as trade bait is downright hilarious. Why the hell would we want to give up on guys like these, especially Kindl & Huds for an old, broken down, might help, might not Maple Leaf.

No rent-a-players, please. Let Sundin go somewhere else and try to win his Cup. I still have visions of Wendal Clark wearing the winged wheel [and as great a guy as he was for their organization] - what a horrible sight!!

Hell no!

Edited by motorcitykid

:thumbdown:

The fact some are mentioning Kindl, Howard and Hudler as trade bait is downright hilarious. Why the hell would we want to give up on guys like these, especially Kindl & Huds for an old, broken down, might help, might not Maple Leaf.

No rent-a-players, please. Let Sundin go somewhere else and try to win his Cup. I still have visions of Wendal Clark wearing the winged wheel [and as great a guy as he was for their organization] - what a horrible sight!!

Hell no!

Old and broken down??? Are you a Wings fan or are you a Wings fan? You oughta know better than any other fan in the league that old does not mean useless. Sundin's 37. So what? In case you haven't noticed, Sundin has 48 points, good for 12th in the league and better than everyone on our team but you-know-which-two. And he hasn't missed a single game this year.

Rental? Maybe. Old and broken down? Ha.

no way we give up good young talent for a rental. the risk/reward just doesnt balance out. and Huds and Flip have shown us this year that they are here to stay. the only thing id be willing to part with are lots and lots and lots of high draft picks (even 08 picks). lets not forget how well our organization drafts in the late rounds.......its why ive never had a problem with us dealing early picks. that being said, if its picks the leafs want theyd be more likely to deal with a team lower in the standings with higher picks. ie SJ or Ahneheim

bottom line...sundin or no sundin, i think we'll win the cup. so dont trade

just my 2 cents

I know that Illitch has a "win now" attitude toward the cup but I don't think we should be renting. Being burned on the Bertuzzi deal was plenty for me. If we make moves they should be for depth, not a star rental.

I know that Illitch has a "win now" attitude toward the cup but I don't think we should be renting. Being burned on the Bertuzzi deal was plenty for me. If we make moves they should be for depth, not a star rental.

I agree that we don't need a rental player. I think that Sundin is a safer bet than Bert. Bert has had injuries and hadn't really been the same after 2005/2006 season. Mats has been a lot more consistent. I mean 20 and 28 in 42 games is pretty impressive.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

No way this will happen. Not with the way we are playing now. Why would Holland want to mess with the chemistry AND deal away more prospects for a rental player?? Makes no sense.

If anything, Holland will make some minor trades at the deadline, nothing worth getting all excited about. But I doubt even that will happen.

Different players yes, but my point was Tkachuk left St Louis in a deal with Atlanta, then came back to St Louis in free agency.

OK...but you're basically just stating a truism -- rentals are risks.

Personally, I'm surprised how many people here seem to be anti-rentals, especially with arguments like "We're doing fine" (the Wings always do fine in the regular season) and "Forsberg would be better" (seriously? The guy can barely play anymore, let alone be an elite force like Sundin).

I know we're all supposed to hate the Leafs and everything they stand for, but I don't think a lot of you appreciate how good this guy is, even in this late stage in his career.

Edited by Dabura

The only way this happens is if the leafs ask Sundin to waive his NTC and he says he wants to go to the wings. He's a rental, and with this in mind, if there is only one horse in the running for him then we might get him cheap. Otherwise, some other GM will send the farm to Toronto so they can lose in the first or second round. In general, rental players are overpriced, especially when it's an almost foregone conclusion that one will be heading back to their home team at the end of the season. Whatever Toronto would get out of the trade would be freebies, assets they gave nothing up for, since the would get Sundin back. Of course, with GMs under a lot of pressure to put together a winning team, there will always be some poor shmuck willing to sell of his clubs future for a longshot at the big prize.

Heh, you should see some of the trades proposed over at hfboards. Hudler+Howard+1st 08+++ If Kenny ever pulled the trigger on a trade like that, the next pickup he'd be making is an unemployment check.

Guest Crymson
I'll be bouncing off the walls if we end up snagging Sundin. That would be the perfect player to go for. Sundin would be perfect in our system. And his physical presence would be a big help as well. God I hope this happens.

Yes--but on the same note you'll not like what we'll need to give up in order to get him.

Guest wingswillwincup
Meh - that's a matter of opinion...Hudler is not a "star" player, & probably never will be. Sundin is a "star" in this league, & will probably be for another year, or 2. If Hudler were on any other team in the NHL - chances are he'd be on their AHL roster due to his lack of size, & skating ability.

That said this team is built to win the Cup now, & not 6 years from now when Kindl/Filppula/Hudler/Howard/Kronwall/Smith/etc/etc are in their respective "prime" of their careers...As much as I would like to see Sundin play out the remainder of his career in Detroit - I don't see it happening since a rival GM would most likely give in to what Leafs GM JFJ would demand, & Holland is too sharp of a GM, & knows his limits.

hudler can be here for another 2-5 yrs at a reasonable price and probably will be a 20+ goal scorer and at least 60-70 pts ...... sundin would be here 2 -3 months ..... no thanks, sundin wont resign here he will go back to toronto ......and your crazy if you think hudler would be in the ahl on other teams , on other teams he would of made the lineup along time ago it took him longer here cause we had depth , and i dont know if you been watching the games but hudlers skating has dramatically improved and we see smaller players playing now around the league , hudler would still play in the nhl elsewhere

Guest wingswillwincup
I agree.

Why not Forsberg?

if forsberg comes back itll be because he can play , and id take him in a heartbeat , wont cost us anything and if he cant go we got the same lineup now so its not a problem , if he plays and performs man oh man watch out

cleary datsyuk filppula

zetterberg forsberg holmstrom

hudler draper franzen

or

zetterberg datsyuk holmstrom

hudler forsberg filppula

cleary draper franzen

love it either way

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

Sundin doesn't plan on waving no-trade clause

Posted by George James Malik January 08, 2008 07:00AM

There should be no surprises to fans of the Detroit Red Wings that the Toronto media's infatuation with the concept of trading Mats Sundin to a team for a treasure trove of top prospects is nothing more than pure fabrication. The Toronto Sun's Lance Hornby says that Sundin's less than enthralled with the idea of being traded:

January 8, Toronto Sun (via the London Free Press): [H]e's adamant he wants to stay and that includes nixing any Rent-A-Mats plan to fetch max value at the deadline, help a contending playoff team in the spring and then return to the Leafs as a free agent in 2008-09.

While dropping a couple of expletives yesterday to describe the club's wasteful efforts of late, Sundin reaffirmed his desire to see his one-year contract through as a Leaf and play beyond April 5.

"I have not talked to my agent (J.P. Barry) about anything," Sundin said of waiving his no-trade clause. "We're not going to give up when our conference is so close. When we play our style of game, when everyone works together, we're a good team, as good as a lot of teams that are ahead of us. We have to learn to close out games, but we're shooting ourselves in the foot."

Since that first night in the old L.A. Forum, Sundin has compiled 957 points as a Leaf, now the franchise's leading scorer. Nearing his 37th birthday, he was asked again about the anticipated boon for the Leafs from a trade, at the same time improving his chances at a Cup ring before retirement.

"My mindset has not changed," he said. "You don't know what can happen (if a deal is made before Feb. 26 and doesn't help either team)."

Ok heres my 2 cents on this one, I don't want him, I really don't see it happening either. Why? Because Ken Holland knows what happens when you trade your whole farm system away for the sure thing gunna win this year damn the next 10, you do just that, you have one good year, lose your talent due to the free agency and retirement, and you aren't competitive the next 4+ years. We have a great team that is on a great run, why mess it up?

I don't put a whole lot of stock in what Mats says to the media at the moment in regards to a trade.

If he actually said that he would consider a trade before the deadline, it was set off a media firestorm not seen in Toronto since the Eric Lindros almost-trade about 8 years ago. Mats knows this, which is why he takes the safe route in answering those kinds of questions.

Mats said a few years ago that he would consider a trade if the Leafs came to him and asked him to waive his no-trade clause (and this was when the Leafs were a playoff team). I would have to think that his mindset hasn't changed in that regard.

Mats is just taking the safe route with his comments at the moment.