• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

Is Ozzie a HOFer?

Rate this topic

Is Ozzie a Hall of Famer?  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posting an opinion in this thread is pointless. Osgood has too many one-eyed fans. Logic and rationale doesn't work with you guys.

Why would someone get hot at another person who thinks "not yet"? It's a perfectly reasonable viewpoint to have.

While I wouldn't say it's pointless to have a point in here (REDUNDANCY!!!!!! :lol:), it is a little bit silly to think he might not yet get into hit. He's still playing, he still has the chance to get in, so he's "NOT YET" in. :P

Sorry, that was the smart-a** in me.

Will Osgood have the numbers and stats to get in. There's a good chance (but not yet :tomato:), but I don't care what statistical analysis people throw at me, perception to me says that Osgood doesn't equal being in the Hall of Fame. Yes it might not be fair, but just like 3-star selections, MVP selections, All-Star selections, award givings, IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT STATS. Public perception plays a major role as well, whether we might like it or not. And yes, I like Osgood, so nobody better accuse me of not liking him or having negative bias towards him. I think it'd be cool if he got in. I just don't see it happening though.

But with that being said, it really doesn't matter to me if he doesn't make it. I know he's been a very solid and capable goalie for pretty much his entire career, and that's more than enough for me. I don't feel the need to "sell" him to be in the Hall of Fame to justify how good he is.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

While I wouldn't say it's pointless to have a point in here (REDUNDANCY!!!!!! :lol: ), it is a little bit silly to think he might not yet get into hit. He's still playing, he still has the chance to get in, so he's "NOT YET" in. :P

Sorry, that was the smart-a** in me.

Will Osgood have the numbers and stats to get in. There's a good chance (but not yet :tomato: ), but I don't care what statistical analysis people throw at me, perception to me says that Osgood doesn't equal being in the Hall of Fame. Yes it might not be fair, but just like 3-star selections, MVP selections, All-Star selections, award givings, IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT STATS. Public perception plays a major role as well, whether we might like it or not. And yes, I like Osgood, so nobody better accuse me of not liking him or having negative bias towards him. I think it'd be cool if he got in. I just don't see it happening though.

But with that being said, it really doesn't matter to me if he doesn't make it. I know he's been a very solid and capable goalie for pretty much his entire career, and that's more than enough for me. I don't feel the need to "sell" him to be in the Hall of Fame to justify how good he is.

Ok, how about this.

People are already saying Cam Ward has a pretty good shot at the Hall of Fame. At the same point in his career (after about 2.5 seasons) Osgood had a record of 76-19-10-0 with 7 shutouts and a GAA of 2.43 and a save percentage of .906. Ward's record is 61-42-0-11 with 5 shutouts and a GAA of 3.05(!) and a save percentage of .895. Osgood's career numbers, with the exception of winning percentage, are better now than they were then. Osgood's worst single season stats are better than Ward's CAREER numbers. Yet Osgood is brushed off as a product, and Ward is touted as a future Hall of Famer? Makes NO sense.

Here's John Buccigross's answer to the Ozzy hall of fame question. Unfortunately, I think he's right.

Hey Bucci,

I just read that Chris Osgood has 339 career wins. Now, he did play on some amazing teams, but he also won a Cup as the starting goalie (1998) for the Wings and has, I believe, 43 shutouts. Is he a Hall of Famer? What if he gets to 400 wins? No matter how good your teams are, you don't do that without being very good yourself.

Take it easy,

Kurt Simer

Chris Osgood is 16th in all-time wins. No one can seem to figure out the criteria for goalies. Osgood has more wins and a lower goals-against average than Gump Worsley, but we all know Osgood is not going to end up in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=3089750

The selections are in no way a science. Ozzy probably won't get in because to most people he doesn't seem like a Hall of Famer.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Ok, how about this.

People are already saying Cam Ward has a pretty good shot at the Hall of Fame. At the same point in his career (after about 2.5 seasons) Osgood had a record of 76-19-10-0 with 7 shutouts and a GAA of 2.43 and a save percentage of .906. Ward's record is 61-42-0-11 with 5 shutouts and a GAA of 3.05(!) and a save percentage of .895. Osgood's career numbers, with the exception of winning percentage, are better now than they were then. Osgood's worst single season stats are better than Ward's CAREER numbers. Yet Osgood is brushed off as a product, and Ward is touted as a future Hall of Famer? Makes NO sense.

Again, it is not just about statistics. Perception, whether you like it or not, matters as well. This is nothing new.

Again, It doesn't matter what stats and analysis and comparisons you give. You can give me all the comparisons until everybody at LGW finishes all the liquor in the universe in 15 years and it won't matter, because as much as I like Osgood and I'd like for him to get in and think that he's done well in his career, perception to me is that he might not make it.

It might not make sense. And you know what? I don't care. I already know how good Osgood is and he doesn't need to get into the Hall of Fame to change my already ositive opinion of him and his play to be even more positive.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Ok, how about this.

For all you stats lovers out there...........This is not the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I picked "maybe" because "he darn well deserves it, but who knows what sort of crack the selection committee will be smoking" wasn't one of the options.

Please don't take that as a knock on Ozzie. He's in my personal HOF already (not that he or anyone else gives a vermin's hindquarters ;) ).

Edited for improper use of punctuation.

Edited by 55fan

I think it depends entirely on how he finishes his career. I do think he deserves it. The real question is does Ozzie get his number retired???

If he retired today, his record the last 3+ years is 50-11-13. That is 113 points with 8 games left. Pretty damn remarkable to play that good over that length of time. He seems to be getting better with age. So what if he gave up 5 goals the other night. I would say 1 bad game in 25 is pretty good.

As others have said, its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Pretty Good. He's gunna finish with stellar career numbers, but he's never been seen as an elite goalie. He's never carried a team to the cup (indeed the perception at the time was that the Wings won in '98 *in spite* of Osgood, not because of him). He's never won a major individual award either. Compare his trophy cabinet to Roy, Brodeur or Hasek and you'll see why he won't get voted in.

The only chance I see is if in the next 4 years the wings win at least 1 cup with him as starter AND/OR he wins a major individual award AND its a particularly weak class his year of eligability.

He has more chance of having his number retired, as by 2011 he will own most Wings goaltending records.

I think it depends entirely on how he finishes his career. I do think he deserves it. The real question is does Ozzie get his number retired???

No. Having your number retired is a greater honor than even the Hall of Fame. There's only one criterion for having your number retired, and that is that it should be blindingly obvious to everyone that your number belongs in the rafters. If you have to debate it, or even ask, the answer is no. Lidstrom is the only Wing that currently fits that. If we have to debate Ozzie's HoF credentials, the number is out of the question.

He's never carried a team to the cup (indeed the perception at the time was that the Wings won in '98 *in spite* of Osgood, not because of him).

i believe he finished second in conn smythe voting. so i guess yzerman really won the cup in spite of the rest of the team.

No. Having your number retired is a greater honor than even the Hall of Fame. There's only one criterion for having your number retired, and that is that it should be blindingly obvious to everyone that your number belongs in the rafters. If you have to debate it, or even ask, the answer is no. Lidstrom is the only Wing that currently fits that. If we have to debate Ozzie's HoF credentials, the number is out of the question.

Thats generally true, but the Devils retired Ken Daneyko #3 a few years back, and I just don't see him going to the HOF. He is probably one of the best stay at home DMAN of all-time though

Thats generally true, but the Devils retired Ken Daneyko #3 a few years back, and I just don't see him going to the HOF. He is probably one of the best stay at home DMAN of all-time though

Daneyko had also played 21 years with the Devils. He was never a great player, but he was a reliable stay at homer and he stayed with the same team for over 20 years. It's like Mike Richter; he was retired because he was a good player with the same team his entire career, and someone fans identified with. Richter was never a great goalie, but he was the face of the club.

As others have said, its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Pretty Good. He's gunna finish with stellar career numbers, but he's never been seen as an elite goalie. He's never carried a team to the cup (indeed the perception at the time was that the Wings won in '98 *in spite* of Osgood, not because of him). He's never won a major individual award either. Compare his trophy cabinet to Roy, Brodeur or Hasek and you'll see why he won't get voted in.

The only chance I see is if in the next 4 years the wings win at least 1 cup with him as starter AND/OR he wins a major individual award AND its a particularly weak class his year of eligability.

He has more chance of having his number retired, as by 2011 he will own most Wings goaltending records.

Maybe that is WHY he didn't win any awards. In his prime, he competed against the likes of Hasek, Roy, Brodeur. It is a TEAM sport, not individual. While the individual awards are great, I am willing to bet ANYONE will give up their award to have their name engraved forever.

Yzerman was voted to only 3 individual awards in the regular season in his career. He will be a unanimous inductee next year when he is eligible.

It is just like saying Tom Brady set all those records and had an undefeated season, but if they don't go undefeated in the playoffs, who cares about the records.

i believe he finished second in conn smythe voting. so i guess yzerman really won the cup in spite of the rest of the team.

Please, spare me the flawed logic. Have you forgetten the media sh*t-fest in the 98 conference finals when Ossie let in that long goal against Dallas? The end of the world was nigh!

And that first spell of his many of the fans never really took to Osgood, and in the end they ran him out of town....."Oz-zie.......Oz-zie......Oz-zie....." <_< When your home fans want to tar and feather you, you think the rest of the league believes you're HOF worthy?

None of this is personal against Ozzie, its just how the rest of the league perceives him. And stalwart 'wing though he is, he ain't no Roy, Brodeur or Hasek. Or even crazy Eddie. Can you imagine how many cups we would have won if we'd pulled the trigger on the trade with Montreal and got Roy instead of Colorado? (answer: >3 )

Yzerman was voted to only 3 individual awards in the regular season in his career. He will be a unanimous inductee next year when he is eligible.

And he spent most of his career in the shadow of 66 & 99, what can a guy do?

Please, spare me the flawed logic. Have you forgetten the media sh*t-fest in the 98 conference finals when Ossie let in that long goal against Dallas? The end of the world was nigh!

The shut out the next game and the winning of the series...so sad it really was a GREAT series! But all anyone remembers is that long puck... Good thing ozzie cracked a joke during the Stanely Cup celebration at the Joe :D

And that first spell of his many of the fans never really took to Osgood, and in the end they ran him out of town....."Oz-zie.......Oz-zie......Oz-zie....." <_< When your home fans want to tar and feather you, you think the rest of the league believes you're HOF worthy?

Idk... Hasek will still be in the HoF and i remember everyone wanting to tar and feather him this season :D

Its fans they are by nature Stupid sheep... you have to take them for what they are worth.

Edited by OsGOD

I honestly believe that Vernon should get in before Osgood.

In addition, Osgood will more likely than not have the stats, but is still missing that something special to take him from "meh" to HOF bound.

In general he's more well known for letting in soft goals, scoring a goal, and Detroit winning the cup despite of him being in net.

Finally, alot of good players coming up for admission to HOF next handful of years. Enough that there is going to be a log jam for a while. If the Osgood faithful are having fits now with just the talk about him not getting in, imagine the bender they'll go on when he's not selected first (or third) year eligible.

BTW I voted yes because I'm having faith that we'll get another cup despite him.

Seems kind of ridiculous that chris can be in the top 15 in wins and not get in. Think about how the NHL has been in being, goalies everywhere, goalies in the minor leagues. 2 goalies on every team. Goalies being developed. Don't know when they started keeping stats but it's gotta be a couple generations. With all those goalies that have played professionally only 14 goalies have had more wins than chris. The argument that he played with great detroit teams? That dosen't work because it's a team game. Everyone has to do a part. If he sucked than he wouldn't have taken advantage of that. You could have a young gretzky, lemieux, howe, bobby orr, and paul coffey on a team and if you stick in average joe from the street in net your not going to get anywhere. Are you going to say scottie pippen sucks because he had Jordon, Kerr, and Roodman?