• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rwfan007

2008 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

I still can't believe how deep the starting lineup is. I keep actually forgetting we now have Edgar Renteria. Here's a .291 career hitter who's a six-time All-Star and who might just be batting ninth. (Though I'd bat him seventh in the nominal lineup. Not like it matters what the lineup is, there are mashers from 1 through 9 no matter how you order it.)

I think the lineup is shaping up like this:

#1 CF Granderson

#2 2B Polanco

#3 3B Carbera

#4 DH Sheffield

#5 RF Ordonez

#6 1B Guillen

#7 SS Renteria

#8 C Rodriguez

#9 LF Jones/Thames

Talk about a sick lineup!!

I think the lineup is shaping up like this:

#1 CF Granderson

#2 2B Polanco

#3 3B Carbera

#4 DH Sheffield

#5 RF Ordonez

#6 1B Guillen

#7 SS Renteria

#8 C Rodriguez

#9 LF Jones/Thames

Talk about a sick lineup!!

Nominal lineup, anyway. I figure the same, except flip Cabrera and Ordonez. Leyland's more familiar with Maggs. Either that or Sheff-Maggs-Cabrera.

'Course, the Opening Day lineup will probably be used for maybe 45-50 games in the whole season, so it's kind of pointless, same as line combos. Nice thing about Inge is that you can get him maybe 350 at-bats and rest everyone. Raburn, too. Very flexible lineup with those two on the bench.

I still can't believe how deep the starting lineup is. I keep actually forgetting we now have Edgar Renteria.

Same here. How crazy is that? When the Tigers got him I was excited, and thought we would probably be done dealing. Who would have thought what would come after him?

Still concerned about the bullpen though.....

Hey Timmy I'm relieved Jones got a starting spot, give us the ring now! (:

Still concerned about the bullpen though.....

So am I but I feel that given the runs the Tigers are going to be producing all the bullpen needs to do is not screw it up THAT bad.

Wait til Zumaya gets ahold of Rock Band. Broken hand on the way.

:lol: I played Rock Band for the first time last weekend, and got a shin splint from those stupid drums. I was having so much fun on it though, but I guess that drum pedal got the best of me!

I hate the 3-4-5 spot

Best hitter always, always goes in the 3 hole. Mags-Cabrera-Sheff.

Pudge is also the only non .300 hitter (from last year) in that lineup. Jones is batting 9th and hit .317 (I think) last year!!!

Edited by dallas27

what do you guys think of these new minor tweaks to the rules?

NEW YORK -- Base coaches in the big leagues will have to stay inside their boxes this season.

Major League Baseball announced a few rule amendments Thursday, including one that came a season after Double-A coach Mike Coolbaugh was killed by a line drive to the neck.

Starting this year, first- and third-base coaches must not cross the lines toward home plate or the field until batted balls pass them. Only then can they take up other spots to guide runners.

Third-base coaches routinely stand much closer to the plate than the lines permit, trying to get a better look at where outfielders are positioned.

In November, general managers decided big league base coaches must wear protective headgear this year, starting with exhibition games.

Other amendments adopted by the Playing Rules Committee will be tried on an experimental basis in the Class A New York-Penn and Northwest leagues.

Pitchers will have 15 seconds, rather than the previous 12 seconds, to deliver the ball. The time will start when the pitcher gets the ball.

Also, after three or more visits to the mound by a manager or coach without taking out a pitcher, the fourth mound trip will result in a pitcher automatically being pulled.

In addition, only one infielder at a time will be allowed to visit the mound.

what do you guys think of these new minor tweaks to the rules?

NEW YORK -- Base coaches in the big leagues will have to stay inside their boxes this season.

Major League Baseball announced a few rule amendments Thursday, including one that came a season after Double-A coach Mike Coolbaugh was killed by a line drive to the neck.

Starting this year, first- and third-base coaches must not cross the lines toward home plate or the field until batted balls pass them. Only then can they take up other spots to guide runners.

Third-base coaches routinely stand much closer to the plate than the lines permit, trying to get a better look at where outfielders are positioned.

In November, general managers decided big league base coaches must wear protective headgear this year, starting with exhibition games.

Other amendments adopted by the Playing Rules Committee will be tried on an experimental basis in the Class A New York-Penn and Northwest leagues.

Pitchers will have 15 seconds, rather than the previous 12 seconds, to deliver the ball. The time will start when the pitcher gets the ball.

Also, after three or more visits to the mound by a manager or coach without taking out a pitcher, the fourth mound trip will result in a pitcher automatically being pulled.

In addition, only one infielder at a time will be allowed to visit the mound.

I don't care about the coaches rules, though the helmets are gonna look pretty strange.

I don't like the rules about visiting the mound though.

I take it if this is a situation where no runner is on base. With runners on, the pitcher obviously has more to be concerned with than just what pitch to throw.