• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rwfan007

Brett Favre Retires

Rate this topic

Packer487, you're going to go ape-s***. Not only did I get you today's paper, I also grabbed you one of yesterday's mid-afternoon release, which they only printed 40,000 copies of. Limited edition to say the least.

FavreNewspaper.jpg

DUDE! Thank you SO much! That's absolutely fantastic!

I can't say I disagree. sly.gif

Packer487, what do you say? tongue.gif

Re: Beer

I can't say I disagree either! I owe ya big for this one. I really do appreciate you nabbing those for me.

If you want something in particular beer-wise let me know and I'll bring some next time I'm up there--or if you're going to be able to come out and tailgate when I'm in GB (and I WILL go to a game or two next year) I'll buy ya a beer or three. Either way is great!

Also, did you get/do you want a copy of the Wisconsin State Journal? If you want one and didn't get one (not sure if they distribute up there) I'll go grab one for you. I had to order the MJS one from them. I think Barnes and Noble is like the only place that gets that paper, and they were out. I can't believe more places don't carry that paper. We're only like 70 miles away. It was only $5 though, including postage. Not too shabby. Cheaper than ebay will be.

Thanks again! I'll PM my address to you if you feel like sending them, otherwise, I'll probably be in GB in the middle of May. My uncle is running in the GB marathon so I'm going up there to support him.

I am a Lions fan who repeatedly have had my heart ripped out by #4, even at the Silverdome (the Lions have actually made the playoffs). No matter what we did against #4 he would just get back up and lead his team to victory. You could always count on that. No one in the league I wanted the Lions to beat more than #4 and the Pack.

You know this doesn't change anything. Rodgers is still probably the best QB in the NFC North. And I say that having only seen him for like a half. ;)

I really love hearing other teams' fans talk about how much they liked watching him play/respected him. That's a true measure of greatness right there.

Edited by Packer487

Let's be real honest. A lot of his stat's are padded since he played against the Lions.

P.S. That was a putdown towards the Lions and not Farve.

Edited by Jwo

You know this doesn't change anything. Rodgers is still probably the best QB in the NFC North. And I say that having only seen him for like a half. ;)

I really love hearing other teams' fans talk about how much they liked watching him play/respected him. That's a true measure of greatness right there.

Feh. It's my opinion that Rodgers isn't the guy to lead the Packers to greatness. Or even goodness. I wasn't impressed with him even before he was drafted - college quarterbacks that have only one good year that causes them to be rated highly tend to be busts. Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, etc. With Favre gone, I actually think Kitna is the best remaining QB in the division. It certainly ain't Rex Grossman.

Feh. It's my opinion that Rodgers isn't the guy to lead the Packers to greatness. Or even goodness. I wasn't impressed with him even before he was drafted - college quarterbacks that have only one good year that causes them to be rated highly tend to be busts. Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, etc. With Favre gone, I actually think Kitna is the best remaining QB in the division. It certainly ain't Rex Grossman.

That was more of a joke about Kitna, Jackson, and Grossman than it was me saying "Rodgers is amazing". I do think he's going to be a good QB, and I think he fits their system pretty well. I was really questioning him until this year. Previously, he didn't show anything even in the preseason. This year, he was spot on whether he was playing with the starters or backups, and whether he was going up against the defensive starters or not. And he was amazing when he came in against Dallas. I was impressed with his arm and his mobility. I'm just slightly worried that he's made of glass.

I definitely think they can make the playoffs with Rodgers at the helm (though there's also a lot of offseason to go), especially given the division that they're in.

For what it's worth the so-called "experts" on ESPN's '1st & 10' rank Favre behind Montana, Elway, Marino, & Brady.

And Steve Yzerman probably wasn't the best center all-time, if at the very least we were talking from a statistical standpoint.

F.Michael generally you hit home runs on pretty much most posts that I read of yours and you are a valued poster at least to me, but I'm sorry, you can play the "It's my opinion" game all you want, we have our "opinions" as well. Comparing Favre to Yzerman and just completely brushing Favre off like a case of fleas is pretty ridiculous I think.

Maybe Favre wasn't the absolute best #1 QB ever. Maybe Yzerman wasn't the best #1 center ever either. But it is impossible to argue that these two belong among the greats of both professional football and hockey for their performances on the football field/ice and their leadership abilities. You, I, and everybody else can debate who is the best until we lose our hair due to old age, but that will take absolutely nothing away from the fine career of Favre, and Yzerman's for that matter.

I'm sure there were people outside of Red Wings fans and non-hockey fans who really didn't care much for Yzerman's retirement either. No need to be harsh.

Now I certainly didn't get affected that much by Favre's retirement either as I'm not much of a Packers fan (nor any other team outside of my local Saints, don't really dispise or hate any team), but athletes and careers like his or Yzerman's careeer come few and far between. They affect so many people to just the average joe's in such a positive way. Favre has affected so many people in Madison, around the Gulf of Mexico coast (his college area of Southern Mississippi), and I couldn't possible imagine how many teammates or other NFL players.

We might not pay as much attention to all the news, but his successful career demands respect even from the average joe that might not like the Pack, or him, or just not watch football that much. He's more than earned the right for his retirement to be largely recognized across the country.

Not bashing Rogers here, but how ironic Rogers, and the 2 people listed above, along with Joey Harrington all had the same college QB coach....

All have been busts so far.....

The rumor is that Joey Ballgame might be coming to the Packers as the backup. I probably deserve that for all the jokes I've made. I'm not prepared to be one hit away from having Joey Heisman as my team's QB. Lord....

The rumor is that Joey Ballgame might be coming to the Packers as the backup. I probably deserve that for all the jokes I've made. I'm not prepared to be one hit away from having Joey Heisman as my team's QB. Lord....

watch aaron rodgers get hurt early next year and the pack will then be led by joey ballgame. Sad think is with him at the helm, you can still beat the lions.

And Steve Yzerman probably wasn't the best center all-time, if at the very least we were talking from a statistical standpoint.

F.Michael generally you hit home runs on pretty much most posts that I read of yours and you are a valued poster at least to me, but I'm sorry, you can play the "It's my opinion" game all you want, we have our "opinions" as well. Comparing Favre to Yzerman and just completely brushing Favre off like a case of fleas is pretty ridiculous I think.

Maybe Favre wasn't the absolute best #1 QB ever. Maybe Yzerman wasn't the best #1 center ever either. But it is impossible to argue that these two belong among the greats of both professional football and hockey for their performances on the football field/ice and their leadership abilities. You, I, and everybody else can debate who is the best until we lose our hair due to old age, but that will take absolutely nothing away from the fine career of Favre, and Yzerman's for that matter.

I'm sure there were people outside of Red Wings fans and non-hockey fans who really didn't care much for Yzerman's retirement either. No need to be harsh.

Now I certainly didn't get affected that much by Favre's retirement either as I'm not much of a Packers fan (nor any other team outside of my local Saints, don't really dispise or hate any team), but athletes and careers like his or Yzerman's careeer come few and far between. They affect so many people to just the average joe's in such a positive way. Favre has affected so many people in Madison, around the Gulf of Mexico coast (his college area of Southern Mississippi), and I couldn't possible imagine how many teammates or other NFL players.

We might not pay as much attention to all the news, but his successful career demands respect even from the average joe that might not like the Pack, or him, or just not watch football that much. He's more than earned the right for his retirement to be largely recognized across the country.

:clap:

Good luck with that.

I remember way back when on this board when people were ADAMANT that Joey Ballgame was going to turn into the best qb ever.

Meh - who cares.

Goof only held the team on edge/at ransom for the past 4 seasons with the "gee I might just retire" :thumbdown:

Had a great year (after several so-so seasons) then calls it quits; makes me think if he had 1 too many concussions.

Nothing special when compared to #19 Steve Yzerman :thumbup:

Wow, that's rough. I was comparing #19s retirement with Brett's and came too a different conclusion on the whole thing. Not in the mood to rag on either of the two...

I had the joy to watch Favre on December 9, 2007 take on Oakland at Lambeau. My first trip to Lambeau and first ever Packer game in attandance. Needless to say that no in retrospect I am so glad I did the trip. At the point when we bought our tickets I was sure Favre will be back this year but the main reason was that you just never know and it would be a shame to pass on watching #4 when you have the chance.

Windchill of 5F, snow at Lambeau, and #4 slinging the football...it's doesn't get much better than this.

It's still so hard to accept that he retired. I'm still firmly on the "I hope he comes back" bandwagon, but I do think Rodgers will be a fine quarterback in this league.

I think you can read into a lot of what he said, but to me the one moment where I was like "Ohhhhh he might come back" was his reaction to Dave reminding him that he's only 38....

That said, I still think he's done for good...and it's a bummer.

Draft is tomorrow!!

Brett retiring really bites and he was the only reason i even watched the NFL. Outside of catching a Lions game here or there and once the Lions were out of the playoff picture which is usually around week 8 then it was all Green bay and rooting for Brett Favre!! Gonna miss him and probably wont watch NFL football that much anymore..

Go Lions! :rolleyes:

i am beginning to feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers. Not only does he have to either be the guy after the legend or worry about the legend coming back, but he now finds himself in question of even being the "guy" based on GB going after Brohm. Brohm is an NFL ready quarterback and if Rodgers struggles, there has to be a short leash there. Sucks to be him at this moment. Makes you wonder if he wishes he would have been drafted by another team just to get more of an opportunity.

i am beginning to feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers. Not only does he have to either be the guy after the legend or worry about the legend coming back, but he now finds himself in question of even being the "guy" based on GB going after Brohm. Brohm is an NFL ready quarterback and if Rodgers struggles, there has to be a short leash there. Sucks to be him at this moment. Makes you wonder if he wishes he would have been drafted by another team just to get more of an opportunity.

That was 100% the right move for the Packers. I don't think I would've liked it had they drafted Brohm at 30 or 36, but at 56 they had to take him.

I don't see it as an indictment on Rodgers that they took Brohm. At the start of today, Rodgers was the only QB that GB had under contract. They need a backup and, let's face it, Rodgers hasn't been the model of perfect health.

They get a QB that seems to be a perfect fit for the WC Offense and had he come out last year would've very possibly been the second QB taken.

It might be coach/GM speak, but McCarthy and Thompson were pretty clear that even though they took Brohm, they're convinced Rodgers is their guy. But it's nice to have a safety net just in case. When I look at how bad the Bears, Lions and Vikings have struggled to find QBs, I have no problem with GB picking up a very talented player that fell into their lap. Honestly, I was shocked that Chicago passed on Henne and Brohm. I think it's hilarious that they did, but I'm shocked.

When I look at how bad the Bears, Lions and Vikings have struggled to find QBs, I have no problem with GB picking up a very talented player that fell into their lap. Honestly, I was shocked that Chicago passed on Henne and Brohm. I think it's hilarious that they did, but I'm shocked.

I knew the Lions really wanted to give Stanton a shot with Detroit (whether that is the right move or not is up for debate) so I wasnt surprised when they passed on Henne or Brohm, but no excuses for Vikes and Bears. They could have and probably should have made the move for a QB.

That was 100% the right move for the Packers. I don't think I would've liked it had they drafted Brohm at 30 or 36, but at 56 they had to take him.

I don't see it as an indictment on Rodgers that they took Brohm. At the start of today, Rodgers was the only QB that GB had under contract. They need a backup and, let's face it, Rodgers hasn't been the model of perfect health.

They get a QB that seems to be a perfect fit for the WC Offense and had he come out last year would've very possibly been the second QB taken.

Of course its an indictment on Rodgers. You give him the keys to the car but put another driver just in the car in case. This was much more than just a QB to fill roster space. If that was the case, the Packers should have went after JT O'Sullivan. :yowza:

If I am Rodgers, I am pissed because now I am under added pressure and gotta wonder am I really the QB of the future for this team. And if #4 decides to come back, what do you do? Do you cut Brohm? Do you cut Rodgers? Do you trade either player? The next QB in GB needs one important person to help him thru, a therapist.

Of course its an indictment on Rodgers. You give him the keys to the car but put another driver just in the car in case. This was much more than just a QB to fill roster space. If that was the case, the Packers should have went after JT O'Sullivan. :yowza:

If I am Rodgers, I am pissed because now I am under added pressure and gotta wonder am I really the QB of the future for this team. And if #4 decides to come back, what do you do? Do you cut Brohm? Do you cut Rodgers? Do you trade either player? The next QB in GB needs one important person to help him thru, a therapist.

Every team needs to have a backup quarterback. GB has had an incredible run of luck with Favre starting every game for like 16 years. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Rodgers doesn't start every game next season, due to injury. When you've got a chance to land a talent like Brohm at pick 56 it's stupid not to. Best Player Available is the way to draft and QB was a need for the Packers anyway. It's not that they don't think Rodgers is good. It's that Brohm is a darn fine football player and you need more than ONE quarterback on their roster.

BTW, JT O'Sullivan? Been there, done that.

Rodgers shouldn't be pissed. It's a business move. You can't go into a season with one quarterback, especially when said QB has been injury prone in his career thusfar. Should GB have taken a less-talented quarterback just so Rodgers wouldn't feel threatened? That doesn't make much sense. Competition is a good thing. These guys will push each other.

I still can't believe Brohm fell past Chicago.

I think getting Brohm was a great move. Now they have two potential replacements for Favre, theyve just significantly increased the odds that theyll be ok at QB. Why not take him at that spot? Makes perfect sense.

I am not saying this was a dumb move. Packers have a proven track record of grabbing good qbs whom have backed up #4 (brunell, hasselbeck to name a few) so no doubt they have the right approach.

I would have made the move myself if i was the packers brass. I am just saying this situation really sucks for Rodgers. He has to show he is mentally tough and push thru this to be the "guy" for this team.