• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DenJ91

is there any respect amongst players these days?

Rate this topic

players seem to have a general lack of respect for other players on ice these days. sticks being flung anywhere they please, cheap shots, boarding is getting pretty bad causing concussions, verbal abuse on and on. from players like tootoo, simon, downie, etc it's getting pretty bad. the days of being a man and challenging the guy to a fight to stick up for a teammate or get your team momentum is fading. sure there is still fighting here and there but it seems like they go over and cross check them in the face, eblow them to the head or sucker them from behind first. some players are only on an nhl team because they are goons not cause of their skill and i say they need to go. i mean stepping on a jarkko ruutu's skate like simon did, downie doing the superman hit to donovan and tootoo pretty much every game is terrible for hockey.

just last night for example andre roy of the lighting was threatening riley cote of the flyers of his life. he literally was shaking cause he wanted to kill cote and was shown saying "you're a dead man, i'm going to kill you" and doing the throat swipe. i see it as a big problem and an issue that can't be resolved just by suspending them for 2 games at a time. it's a joke. there's no place in sports let alone in general where throat swiping should be ok. it's terrible to think young kids are seeing a player do this kinda stuff and a terrible example for the youth of hockey. i'm all for hitting and fighting but the cheap stuff and lack of respect is hurting our game.

Edited by DenJ91

There is something *different* about someone who really loses control in the "heat of the moment" like that. Three strikes of something like this and you should quite simply be out of the league. I am honestly afraid someone like Simon will kill another player out on the ice. I don't care how much therapy you go through, some people can not handle fierce competition.

I would agree unnecessary violance and crazy commentary is hurting hockey as a sport. There is not place for that kind of stuff in hockey this isn't ufc or wwe

Sure, it's bad... but how is it any different from the past? They have had riots in Montreal in the 50's over hockey. Literally, people took to the streets when Rocket Richard got into a scrap. That's much worse than 1 person getting hit from behind.

Face it, hockey is a violent sport with a violent past. Now that we are in the information age with satellite TV and internet, we just see more of it.

Sure, it's bad... but how is it any different from the past? They have had riots in Montreal in the 50's over hockey. Literally, people took to the streets when Rocket Richard got into a scrap. That's much worse than 1 person getting hit from behind.

Face it, hockey is a violent sport with a violent past. Now that we are in the information age with satellite TV and internet, we just see more of it.

Exactly.

How was Scotty Bowmans career ended in Junior? By an opponent giving him a 2-handed tomahawk on the top of his head on a breakaway.

Rocket Richard attacking a linesman?

The Philly team of the 70s?

I agree with everything said.......but watch the orignal "Rollerball" with James Caan....maybe they knew something back then......

OMG... I love Rollerball (the original one)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

There is a hell of a lot more respect in hockey than in other sports if you ask me.

In most interviews between periods or after the game, some of the sports casters ask players how they felt about a goal or the game ect. MOST players will often credit their team long before they'll take the credit themselves. Listen to Stevie Y's retirement speech for the ULTIMATE lesson in class and respect.

In other sports, say basketball or football, the player would be more like "Yea, I was on fire out there and I wanna thank my baby's mama and jesus for my touchdown."

But because there is so much passion and physical play in hockey, the situations like the above can happen with certain players. It's either the heat of the moment and the player will come to their senses later. Most great goon to goon rivalaries, the goons actually are friends in the end. But at that moment they just want to beat the crap out of eachother.

If the hatred and actions like you mentioned in the original post continue off the ice then they do not belong in hockey. Or in proffesional sports. Period.

But to answer your overall question that players respect eachother? Hell yea they do. More than any other sport easy.

ok so i agree that hockey in general has more respect amongst players, i guess i was directing more towards the players i mentioned and what happened again last night. stuff like that. and i agree hockey has always been violent, but off the ice some of the things players do is technically a crime so why not get rid of that stuff for good and ban those types of players. the hitting and fighting...great!! not the stepping on skates, cross checking to the face and death threats. let's face it, there's a hell of alot of money in sports now and in your star players, which is a big difference between today and the 50's for instance.

On the ice; no. Anything is fair game.

Off the ice; yes.

Played this dirty, dirty team a few weeks ago, wasn't pretty. Off the ice at the bar they came up and apologized. All bets are off on the ice, it's really nothing personal, just heat of the moment stuff.

*edit* To make it clear, this is in response to the topic of Andre Roy

Edited by dallas27

Off the ice; yes.

Played this dirty, dirty team a few weeks ago, wasn't pretty. Off the ice at the bar they came up and apologized. All bets are off on the ice, it's really nothing personal, just heat of the moment stuff.

so on the ice cross checking in the face or against the back of neck (potential career ending injuries) slashing across the hands or back of the leg... so fair game? So basically if I end someone's career it is all fair game since I am on the ice? some sport...

so on the ice cross checking in the face or against the back of neck (potential career ending injuries) slashing across the hands or back of the leg... so fair game? So basically if I end someone's career it is all fair game since I am on the ice? some sport...

The original topic was on death threats. That is what I was responding to. In terms of talking on the ice, nothing is off-limits, it's heat of the moment stuff. He obviously isn't going to do that off the ice.

Edited by dallas27

Off the ice; yes.

That's absurd. A person is just as accountable for what they do on the ice. Playing hockey is not a free ticket act like an animal. I guess someone could Chris Simon you in the face or deliver a patented Bertuzzi Back of the Head Knecksnapper and it would all be cool as long as they apologized afterwards? No dice.

That's absurd. A person is just as accountable for what they do on the ice. Playing hockey is not a free ticket act like an animal. I guess someone could Chris Simon you in the face or deliver a patented Bertuzzi Back of the Head Knecksnapper and it would all be cool as long as they apologized afterwards? No dice.

Read the above post

Ah, we posted nearly simultaneously so I didn't see that. Generally, I associate the "player respect" issue more with cheapshotting and less with trash talking. I could care less what players say to each other. That's between them and their consciences.

Ah, we posted nearly simultaneously so I didn't see that. Generally, I associate the "player respect" issue more with cheapshotting and less with trash talking. I could care less what players say to each other. That's between them and their consciences.

It really doesn't even boil down to player respect, it's just being smart. You don't check someone from behind. And you certainly don't take two hands and whack someone across the face with a stick. If it's serious enough they should throw a battery charge in.

The original topic was on death threats. That is what I was responding to. In terms of talking on the ice, nothing is off-limits, it's heat of the moment stuff. He obviously isn't going to do that off the ice.

I get ya, well what if is something racist or antisemitic or I dunno something along those lines that is that ugly?