• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

betterREDthandead

World Championships thread

Rate this topic

Yeah that game was just another reason why the puck over the glass penalty is bulls***. I never did like it, it should be the same as icing the puck. Face off in own zone without changing. Like seriously, whats the difference between putting it over the glass and icing it?

Russia won..I was so happy to see it.

Especially Feds and his smile :)

Great game, the call on Nash's delay of the game was right, but if the refs did not call it, noone could protest.

They did call it because team Russia had 2 of these during the game. That was the reason imho.

Vodka time :D

Yeah that game was just another reason why the puck over the glass penalty is bulls***.

Rule is a rule Don't shoot the s*** over the glass. It's pretty cut and dry. Nash was tired, he wanted to get off the ice, and his idiocy cost his team.

For those interested...

Current international rankings following the WHC (top 30 only, do we really care where Mongolia sits?):

1. Canada

2. Russia

3. Sweden

4. Finland

5. Czech Republic

6. United States

7. Switzerland

8. Slovakia

9. Belarus

(these 9 qualify for the 2010 Olympics automatically.)

10. Germany

11. Latvia

12. Norway

13. Denmark

14. Italy

15. Slovenia

16. Austria

17. Ukraine

18. France

(these 9 qualify automatically for the Olympic qual tourney, to be joined by 3 winners in the pre-qual tourney from the 12 below.)

19. Kazakhstan

20. Hungary

21. Poland

22. Japan

23. Lithuania

24. Netherlands

25. Estonia

26. Croatia

27. Romania

28. China

29. Great Britain

30. Serbia

The rest are SOL for the Olympics. Not that Israel would have had a shot anyway.

The groupings for next year's WHC:

Group A: Canada, Slovakia, Belarus, Hungary

Group B: Russia, Switzerland, Germany, France

Group C: Sweden, USA, Latvia, Austria

Group D: Finland, Czech Rep., Norway, Denmark

And the groupings for the 2010 Olympics:

Group A: Canada, USA, Switzerland, 3rd qualifier

Group B: Russia, Czech Rep., Slovakia, 2nd qualifier

Group C: Sweden, Finland, Belarus, 1st qualifier

For those interested...

Current international rankings following the WHC (top 30 only, do we really care where Mongolia sits?):

1. Canada

2. Russia

3. Sweden

4. Finland

5. Czech Republic

6. United States

7. Switzerland

8. Slovakia

9. Belarus

(these 9 qualify for the 2010 Olympics automatically.)

10. Germany

11. Latvia

12. Norway

13. Denmark

14. Italy

15. Slovenia

16. Austria

17. Ukraine

18. France

(these 9 qualify automatically for the Olympic qual tourney, to be joined by 3 winners in the pre-qual tourney from the 12 below.)

19. Kazakhstan

20. Hungary

21. Poland

22. Japan

23. Lithuania

24. Netherlands

25. Estonia

26. Croatia

27. Romania

28. China

29. Great Britain

30. Serbia

The rest are SOL for the Olympics. Not that Israel would have had a shot anyway.

The groupings for next year's WHC:

Group A: Canada, Slovakia, Belarus, Hungary

Group B: Russia, Switzerland, Germany, France

Group C: Sweden, USA, Latvia, Austria

Group D: Finland, Czech Rep., Norway, Denmark

I can't believe you didn't mention Australia was #33!!

That sucked to see, Canada deserved to win on home soil. I really cant stand Ilya Kovalchuk so that made it worse. Also, what was with Danny Markov kissing everyone? :P

Hopefully the Canadians win at the World Juniors in Ottawa next year.

For those interested...

1. Canada

2. Russia

3. Sweden

4. Finland

5. Czech Republic

6. United States

7. Switzerland

8. Slovakia

9. Belarus

Hmmm, even though Finland beat the Swedes they're below them. I guess it's because they were behind them before the tournament. Canada has a super-easy group for next year's WHC.

Interesting fact. Feds played in three WCH: 1989 (was USSR back then), 1992 and 2008 (team Russia) and won all of those! Golden boy for team Russia!

Bykov, Russia's head coach was heavily criticized for inviting Feds and now proved he was absolutely right.

I'm still angry at him leaving Red Wings but I'm glad he has been a force in winning team and at times looked like old good Sergei Fedorov!

Edited by ami

That was sick how Russia put 4 forwards on that 4 on 3 PP that proved to be decisive. I guess you can do that when you've got a guy like Fedorov holding the point.

Seriously Feds was awesome in this tourney. I know many of us are still bitter but he made a really REALLY stupid decision at the itme and he'd look great in the Winged Wheel as a 2nd line center.

That was sick how Russia put 4 forwards on that 4 on 3 PP that proved to be decisive. I guess you can do that when you've got a guy like Fedorov holding the point.

Seriously Feds was awesome in this tourney. I know many of us are still bitter but he made a really REALLY stupid decision at the itme and he'd look great in the Winged Wheel as a 2nd line center.

Actually, it was Kovalchuk and Ovechkin at the points.

nothing sweeter than Russia's win over Canada in Canada lol.... What will Cherry say now about soft Europeans?

Finally Russia's team is getting some chemistry going and is playing proud... Say what you say about Putin, but he did a good job in cleaning up sports in Russia... Fetisov was getting harrased and disrespected in Soviet and early russian media and law enforcment, now the guy is in charge of sport...

nothing sweeter than Russia's win over Canada in Canada lol.... What will Cherry say now about soft Europeans?

Finally Russia's team is getting some chemistry going and is playing proud... Say what you say about Putin, but he did a good job in cleaning up sports in Russia... Fetisov was getting harrased and disrespected in Soviet and early russian media and law enforcment, now the guy is in charge of sport...

I don't know but he was crying the hell out of the delay of game penalty when shooting the puck over the glass.

Congratulations to Team Russia, and to Team Canada.

Feds-Ovie-Semin had I think they said a combined 17 points on a line together in the worlds...so to answer everyone's questions...no Feds will not be a Wing, he is going to play out his career on a line with Semin and Ovie...

I wish, but he will continue to look good as Ovie and Semin's new mentor.

Hmm A meeting with Belarus in the olympics (again) :scared: . Me not like.

how about a video link for us americans, eh?

I'd like to see the nash penalty/over the glass thing, and the winning goal.

Here's a recap by TSN. Includes what you mentioned and then some.

Especially Feds and his smile :)

After Sweden lost the semi I kinda stopped caring but his smile changed it all. It brought back a lot of great memories. Seems he's found some fun in playing again.

Impressive win for Russia without Malkin, Datsyuk, Gonchar and Zubov.

Canada was missing far more significant players....though I've never paid too much attention to the World Championships....just isn't played at the right time of the year.

Canada was missing far more significant players....though I've never paid too much attention to the World Championships....just isn't played at the right time of the year.

More significant than the 2 best defensemen and 2 best centermen in the whole country?

More significant than the 2 best defensemen and 2 best centermen in the whole country?

Yes, to name a few:

Crosby, Iginla, Thornton, Phaneuf, Pronger, Niedermayer, Luongo, Brodeur.......

Edited by toby91_ca