• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FlaWingsFan

Can someone explain..

Rate this topic

Why Mike Babcock calls Mikael Samuelsson an "Elite" player? Or why he is playing on the 2nd line when he should be riding the pine? Let's look at him compared to the player who I think should be on the 2nd line in his place.

Jiri Hudler:

GP - 12

G - 3

A - 9

Pts - 12

+/- -1

Pim - 6

Shifts - 17(avg)

TOI: 11min

Mikael Samuelsson:

GP - 12

G - 2

A - 6

+/- 4

Pim - 8

Shifts - 22(avg)

TOI:16.5min

Jiri Hudler produces more offense with less opportunity than Mikael Samuelsson, how much more would he contribute if given the TOI that Sammy gets?

Paired with Helm/Hartigan and Mac for most of the Playoffs explains why his +/- isn't as good as Sammy's who plays with Flip and Cleary, two excellent two way players.

Hudler is also a better passer, takes the puck away instead of giving it away, hits rather than be hit, drives the net, fights in the corners for pucks and is always in the middle of things when the whistle blows, not starting things after the whistle.

So if Mikael Samuelsson is Elite, what does this make Jiri Hudler?

Guest CaliWingsNut
Why Mike Babcock calls Mikael Samuelsson an "Elite" player? Or why he is playing on the 2nd line when he should be riding the pine? Let's look at him compared to the player who I think should be on the 2nd line in his place.

Jiri Hudler:

GP - 12

G - 3

A - 9

Pts - 12

+/- -1

Pim - 6

Shifts - 17(avg)

TOI: 11min

Mikael Samuelsson:

GP - 12

G - 2

A - 6

+/- 4

Pim - 8

Shifts - 22(avg)

TOI:16.5min

Jiri Hudler produces more offense with less opportunity than Mikael Samuelsson, how much more would he contribute if given the TOI that Sammy gets?

Paired with Helm/Hartigan and Mac for most of the Playoffs explains why his +/- isn't as good as Sammy's who plays with Flip and Cleary, two excellent two way players.

Hudler is also a better passer, takes the puck away instead of giving it away, hits rather than be hit, drives the net, fights in the corners for pucks and is always in the middle of things when the whistle blows, not starting things after the whistle.

So if Mikael Samuelsson is Elite, what does this make Jiri Hudler?

Short. :rolleyes:

Hudler is very effective with Helm and Dmac (although Mac was brutal in game 3)..so there is no reason to move Huds to 2nd line.

Snap!

Exactly what I was thinking. Today during the game I couldn't stop thinking about how much I loved the balance of Huds, Helm and DMac. They're as good as a fourth line gets. What are our opponents supposed to do about this Detroit offense?

Short. :rolleyes:

LMAO! :lol:

I will repeat this over and over again to such questions about wanting to change the lineup...

In a long winning streak unless somebody gets injured, you do make dramatic changes with the roster and lines. Hudler has been kicking butt with Helm and McCarty.

And I don't care if people say that Samuelsson has been riding the coattails of Franzen doing good, him and Franzen and Filppula have seemed to have great chemistry on that line. And if you say that Samuelsson has been riding Franzen's great play, should we be pulling the same card out for Filppula then? Or is it just because, "No SWF, Filppula gets a free pass because ZOMG I JUST HATE SAMUELSSON!" :huh:

Heck, even the last two games which the line has been forced to change, I think the Flipper-Samuelsson-Cleary line has looked fairly solid minus one terrible giveaway by Samuelsson I think shortly after the 3rd goal last game.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

LMAO! :lol:

I will repeat this over and over again to such questions about wanting to change the lineup...

In a long winning streak unless somebody gets injured, you do make dramatic changes with the roster and lines. Hudler has been kicking butt with Helm and McCarty.

And I don't care if people say that Samuelsson has been riding the coattails of Franzen doing good, him and Franzen and Filppula have seemed to have great chemistry on that line. And if you say that Samuelsson has been riding Franzen's great play, should we be pulling the same card out for Filppula then? Or is it just because, "No SWF, Filppula gets a free pass because ZOMG I JUST HATE SAMUELSSON!" :huh:

Heck, even the last two games which the line has been forced to change, I think the Flipper-Samuelsson-Cleary line has looked fairly solid minus one terrible giveaway by Samuelsson I think shortly after the 3rd goal last game.

He couldn't be riding those coattails very effectively because he did nothing with him and his stats aren't really impressive in any way.

If we stopped playing him, and Babs said he sucked, which we all know, his stock would slip when we want to get rid of him next year.

I'm assuming he's not an FA next year. If he is, then I don't know what Babs is smoking.

lol

He couldn't be riding those coattails very effectively because he did nothing with him and his stats aren't really impressive in any way.

And Filppula has even less points overall than Samuelsson. So is Flipper riding on the Mule's back as well then?

Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing. "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Lines are put together based on other than points and + or - . I think allot has to do with chemistry. Granted Sams may not have the numbers, but I for one, was impressed with his play last game............ I like Sams and though I think he is capable of much better 0, he is doing enough where he is ! IMHO of course.

What I don't get is why, when the Wings are on fire, does anyone in their right mind ponder making changes? Do the Wings really need to get any better at this point...and if so to what end? They are clearly controlling all aspects of each series. They are making good teams look 2nd string. Why would someone want more? Embarrass thier opponents? (the wings already are...whaddaya want MORE icing on the cake) Do yo think the league and the world in general will give the Wings more love? (ani't gonna happen, and franlky, i like how this team is viewed...all the sweeter when they get shorthanders on crappy calls)

Don't be greedy, folks. Stop complaining and enjoy the ride.

And Filppula has even less points overall than Samuelsson. So is Flipper riding on the Mule's back as well then?

Filppula looks like a little girl most of the time. He had better eat his wheatties in the off season and maybe even try a cycle of Decca or Winstrol. I'd even think to trade Filppula and Hudler now for the right candidate.... someone bigger, stronger and hopefully more Canadian! :D

Well Franz is great but he's no Mario.

He doesn't really make plays and get assists. I don't know how many but it seemed like a fair few of his goals came on special teams too, so probably a half his goals were scored without Flip and Sam on the ice.

because Hudler seems to be doing just fine where he is at. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That's the answer right there. Hudler finally has found a spot. The 4th line is playing well so why would you change that?

He is accurate as hell!

If only he could realize the way to the back of the net is not through the crest he would be the leagues leading playoff goal scorer per shots taken... not the worst! :lol:

Keep on breakin' their chest sammy we love ya!

If only all goalies were as "good" as Tay-door... i know I know its not fair sammy... you lit him up tha game

You guys are unreal, I admitted the first series in Nas he looked like crap. But since then the guy has played solid hockey, his forechecking has led directly to 2 goals.

I mean the fact that he is 6th in points right now(forwards), 5th in assists (forwards) on this team escapes all of you. Man what is babs thinking playing him in a top 6 role, his numbers obviously show he is not one of the top 6 forwards on this team!!

An Assist is an assist, you can try to justify your hate for him by saying he was lucky or they were secondary assists whatever you want. But you are all just trying to justify your hate, you are all probably the same people who think Maltby had an excellent night last night too, right?

You guys are unreal, I admitted the first series in Nas he looked like crap. But since then the guy has played solid hockey, his forechecking has led directly to 2 goals.

I mean the fact that he is 6th in points right now(forwards), 5th in assists (forwards) on this team escapes all of you. Man what is babs thinking playing him in a top 6 role, his numbers obviously show he is not one of the top 6 forwards on this team!!

An Assist is an assist, you can try to justify your hate for him by saying he was lucky or they were secondary assists whatever you want. But you are all just trying to justify your hate, you are all probably the same people who think Maltby had an excellent night last night too, right?

:lol: he played?

Mark my words, Sammy will score a big goal before the playoffs are over.

But he had several poor shifts last night.

As in the first goal of Game 4 against Colorado. :sly:

Granted it turned out to be a blowout, but getting that first goal in a road elimination game is huge. I seem to remember him doing something like that last postseason as well.....oh right, he scored the ONLY 2 goals against San Jose to eliminate them in Game 6 with a final score of 2-0.

God, he's worthless. :P

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Filppula looks like a little girl most of the time. He had better eat his wheatties in the off season and maybe even try a cycle of Decca or Winstrol. I'd even think to trade Filppula and Hudler now for the right candidate.... someone bigger, stronger and hopefully more Canadian! :D

Fillpulla does looks soft on the puck. Guys like Pavel and Hank are the same size as him, and they play strong physically, while he just takes one hit, and then the puck is taken away from him. He needs to toughen up with his positioning and determination.