• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

timothy1997

ESPN's Mike Greenberg predicts a comeback

Rate this topic

Just thought I would share this with everyone;

While eating my breakfast this morning, I turn on ESPN's Mike&Mike in the morning. Now I dont put much stock into ESPN or Mike&Mike about their hockey info but what I saw next shocked me.

They go thru their predictions of NBA playoffs like Boston or Cleveland winning their series and then move onto the NHL. Mike Golic goes first and calls the wings-stars series "OVER". And then Greenberg goes "it happens every 33 years, I am predicting the Stars will comeback against the Red Wings and win the series". After nearly choking on my breakfast after hearing that, Greenberg next goes "if the comeback doesnt come from the Stars then the Flyers will comeback against the Pens..mark my words, it will happen in one of these series".

Greenberg has always been a weasel for me and like I said first, I don't put much stock into this prediction. I was just shocked. Thanks Mike&Mike and ESPN for ruining my breakfast.

TBH, with all the people on LGW talking about next round as if the Wings had officially already moved on, this is actually a breath of fresh air. Not that I think he's accurate, I'm just sayin'......

Sidenote: He's obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed if his convictions are that strong given how lopsided these two series' have looked. That or he hasn't watched a single game of either. I'll go with the latter.

Well Mike Greenberg knows almost nothing about sports... I mean, hes good at stating the obvious and playing off of his co-host Mike Golic. The wings need to play one more game to win the series, but, the stars need 4 and with turco and their D playing the way they are i dont see it happening, but we still shouldnt count our eggs before they hatch.

Edit...

Greenberg is also a soap opera star.

Edited by Shaman464

Eh, they kinda haveta talk about a comeback because how silly is it that a backup comes in midway through the first series and runs the table the rest of the way... Impossible... a comeback has to be made... It will be the same comeback the Avs tried last round...

Just hopefully something happens tonight that doesn't allow Riberio to join his mates on the links for Fridays Tee time!

I would give it a shot if the Stars didn't play their best game the other night and still lose, and they pretty much gave up when they went down 4-2. They played very well and the momentum was going back and forth and then all of a sudden one big mistake and Hudler goes down and scores. I hope it doesn't happen, I don't think it will happen but I guess you never know. The Stars are a little banged up. I'm betting Modano and Morrow are not 100%, Modano with the smelling salts late and Morrow's arm(ouch is all I have to say there), the Wings need to try and get this over tonight. As for the comment by Greenberg, he's obviously not watching. This series would have to take a 100 degree turn for it to happen. 33 years doesn't mean anything if the teams down 3-0 aren't playing that well. I could have seen SJ coming back because they played better in game #3 and barely lost and then slowly got more momentum on their side,I haven't seen that with the Stars, and after winning game 4 they had 2 of the last 3 at home. The Wings would get games 5 & 7 at home. It would be amazing if it happened and just plain awful too.

Sorry, gotta ask... How can some dumb sports show 'ruin your breakfast'?! That's a rhetorical question, Timmy.

I guess I just don't get how some dumbass's 'opinion' can ruin peoples days....... /shrugs.

It'll be okay people, their job is to WORK people. Stirring up controversy brings up ratings. It's a tactic that has been used for YEARS.

I wouldn't go commit suicide over it, it WILL be okay!

Most likely he was enjoying his breakfast, and then when he heard a "professional sports talk show host" make such a ludicrous comment, he probably involuntarily choked on the delicious muffin he was swallowing at the time. :)

The "33" thing is utterly pointless.

There have been two comebacks, 33 years apart. Wow.

I wonder how much of his own money he would bet on a comeback, if he feels it so strongly. I would be willing to bet a good portion of my savings that it does not happen.

Most likely he was enjoying his breakfast, and then when he heard a "professional sports talk show host" make such a ludicrous comment, he probably involuntarily choked on the delicious muffin he was swallowing at the time. :)

close. bagel. :)

I wonder how much of his own money he would bet on a comeback, if he feels it so strongly. I would be willing to bet a good portion of my savings that it does not happen.

:siren:

Pretty easy to sit there and make bold comments when you don't have to back them up with anything. I can do that to: "The Penguins will win the Stanley Cup this year!" I'm not gonna bet on it, but I'm saying it. ;)

I've heard the 33 years things too. But luckily both teams that have made the comeback are both in the East!

Series isn't over obviously, that's why they play!

Interesting fact; both teams that have given up 3-0 series leads to lose currently hold such a lead in the 2008 playoffs.

However, in both instances that it has occurred, there are important factors that must be considered. The 1942 Red Wings used an unpopular cherry-picking style that led to great success, and a 3-0 lead on Toronto before the more skilled Toronto team decided to play that way and won the next four. Toronto coach Hap day said (paraphrased) 'We played their way, but we didn't like it' and after the season, the NHL instituted the two-line pass offsides rule. Despite this, Detroit would win the 1943 Stanley Cup, a run that included a 6-game first round victory over the Maple Leafs. However, that was right in the middle of a 20-year span from 1932 to 1951 that saw the Leafs go to the Cup finals 13 times and win seven Cups.

1975 was start of a ten-season span that saw the Islanders win four championships, make five Cup finals, and play in a total of nine conference final rounds. On the opposite side, 1975 was the closest the Penguins would come to winning two playoff rounds until Mario Lemieux led the team to two Stanley Cup championships in 1991 and 1992. The team has since only won the second round two other times (1996 and 2001), both years failing to advance to the finals.

So the circumstances are not at all similar with regard to the Dallas/Detroit series, and in the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia series the leading team was one top of the conference much of the regular season and ADDED a superstar forward, while the team with no wins has already played well above their level just to make it to this point. We are not talking about either an established league power or a budding league power that would be making the comeback; but rather the top team in each conference dominating the challenger. There will be no comeback this round. Perhaps Dallas or Philadelphia pulls out one game, but neither will take the series.

The only "comeback" the Stars will be involved in is when they grab a beer at the halfway shack at the golf course later this week, and the bartender says "hey, good to see you guys again, glad you could come back. Oh, and this round is on the Red Wings".

I hope the Wings can shut Dallas down. We have gotten way too cocky, and it'd suckt o have them come back to win the series.

Seriously, though, I think 33 years has little to do with it. It's more the quality of the teams. I'm pretty sure this Red Wings team is better than the team in 43 or whenever, and better than Toronto in 74.