No registered users viewing this page.

hallelujahlogic

beers!

Rate this topic

901 posts in this topic

in honor of hockeytown im gonna review some SA beers tonight

first I had Holiday Porter:

12 oz bottle.

It pours a dark reddish brown with a foamy off-white head. The head slowly recedes with not much lacing.

It smells sweeter than most of this style. It has a lot of caramel and chocolate in the scent. There is a faint whiff of hops, unfortunately it is two varieties that don't really enjoy, East Kent Goldings and Fuggles.

The flavor is not that great. There is a heavy bit of diacetyl as it has a huge buttery flavor. Other flavors are brown sugar, caramel and chocolate. There is a slight hint of roastiness.

The mouthfeel is thin for the style.

This is just not a great example of the style.

Winter Lager:

12 oz bottle.

It pours a deep copper red with a foamy white head. It doesn't look much like a bock, but it does look very nice.

The smell is malty with a hint of caramel and alcohol. The hops come through a little bit and there is a hint of orange, but the spices don't really come through. It isn't super fragrant.

The spices and whatnot come through in the flavor. This one has a diacetyl problem like I have tasted in several recent SA beers. The cinnamon and ginger are pretty noticeable, along with the buttery bready malts. The 2 aforementioned spices have a little bit of spicy bite in the finish. The orange comes through with a bit of tanginess.

It is an interesting brew, not really a bock, but what else woudl you call it.

Im glad I only bought a bottle of each as they were average/below average

Winter Lager:

Im glad I only bought a bottle of each as they were average/below average

:o Say whaaa?

By the way, fantastic avatar on your BeerAdvocate name.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

:o Say whaaa?

By the way, fantastic avatar on your BeerAdvocate name.

keep in mind i have had over 1000s beers to judge these agianst

Is Pliny your #1?

it is not, I haven't had younger, but I would put Bell's hopslam over Elder. I strongly recommended you to pick up a 6er of hopsam when it comes out in jan/feb. My favorite beer would be Aventinus Weizen Eisbock.

The only time I've had an authentic German beer is at Zhender's in Frankenmuth. I'll have to get going on that more often.

You should be able to find "authentic" german beer anywhere

I'm in Kansas City right now, and one of the beers of choice around here is Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat and Pale Ale. Had one on draft with dinner tonight, very nice stuff.

I'm in Kansas City right now, and one of the beers of choice around here is Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat and Pale Ale. Had one on draft with dinner tonight, very nice stuff.

i wish i had more access to boulevard, i ahve only had 2 of their beers (double wide ipa, zon) and wasn't impressed, but i know they are a solid brewery, i have to go to other parts of the state, or to mn to find it

What's a good beer to have at Thanksgiving Dinner?

A good porter like Smuttynose or Fuller's would be nice.

No beer with Thanksgiving dinner today for me. Already stuffed enough.

i didn't eat alot in order do drink some beer, plus i have ng aple ale which is a meager 3.8% alcohol

Founder's Breakfast Stout

Excellent recommendation.

Picked up a six-pack of SN Celebration and Real Ale Coffee Porter. The SN is great, I should have been buying this earlier. Looking at the label I just assumed it was a winter warmer, and I'm not a huge fan of those. Instead, it's an IPA that hits you with a great piney/citrusy aroma with your first sip.

The Coffee Porter is one of the better ones I've had in a while. Real Ale did a good job featuring the coffee, but not letting it overpower the rest of the malts.

Excellent recommendation.

Picked up a six-pack of SN Celebration and Real Ale Coffee Porter. The SN is great, I should have been buying this earlier. Looking at the label I just assumed it was a winter warmer, and I'm not a huge fan of those. Instead, it's an IPA that hits you with a great piney/citrusy aroma with your first sip.

The Coffee Porter is one of the better ones I've had in a while. Real Ale did a good job featuring the coffee, but not letting it overpower the rest of the malts.

How does that compare with something like Guinness?

I'll have to try that, except it is expensive from what I've found. What's a decent-good beer you can find in most liquor/beer stores?

I'll have to try that, except it is expensive from what I've found. What's a decent-good beer you can find in most liquor/beer stores?

FBS is actually not the easiest to find and only comes in 4 packs. It is 8.3% ABV (I think) and is pretty expensive for there just being 4. It is well worth it though. If you like full bodied, you will love it.