• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

what's your favourite brand? your favourite type? your favourite bar/brew pub?

as for me, i think unibroue brewery (based out of quebec) makes the finest beer in the world.

as for domestic stuff...sam adams, bell's, or harpoon are all great.

fort street brewery (on fort in lincoln park between outer drive and southfield) is a really awesome place for cheap craft microbrews, and the oak cafe (on oak street in wyandotte between fort street and jefferson) is a nice 'beer bar' they have like 200+ different bottle beers from all over the world, and i think about 50 or so on tap. of course if i'm looking for something spectacular, i go to merchant's wine and spirits on michigan avenue in dearborn. it's like a candy store for beer lovers.

oh, and..when i want cheap, easy to find beer i buy labatt's, though i prefer a nice brown ale to any other type of beer on the planet so uh..i don't usually buy cheap beer.

so yeah. come on. i know you guys love beer. tell us about it!

edit to say: wow my tastes in beer have developed/changed so much since i made this thread. go fig.

Edited by hallelujahlogic

My favorite beer that I can usually find is Bass. On tap only though. It's not as good bottled up. Everyone loves them some Sam Adams, myself included. Their summer brews can't touch their winter ones though.

Big Rock is a western Canada brewery that makes some really, really good stuff. Again: best on tap.

For the cheap stuff, Coors Light and Labatt Blue are the best.

Overseas, I was partial to Cisk, which is a Maltese brew, and Tiger beer. Apparently you can actually get Tiger beer here in the States, but I'd never, ever seen it til I went to SE Asia. Very, very popular there. Good drinkable beer too.

The bad s***: Heineken, Miller Anything (especially High Life), Molson.

My favorite beer that I can usually find is Bass. On tap only though. It's not as good bottled up.

Finding a bar that has a good, clean line for Bass is next to impossible here. The best Bass I've ever had was from my buddy's restaurant Mosaic's in Greektown. I know their lines are clean. Bass is tremondously good beer when you can find it on a good line and tap.

I'm strictly ales; Newcastle, Bell's (Blue Moon is a Bell's winter white ale rip off), Bass. No lager please, unless it's Imperials Lion lager. I'll only drink american stuff if it's free or I have to at a bar. I have no problem spending 9-10 bucks on a six pack of quality beer that I can sit and enjoy.

Overseas, I was partial to Cisk, which is a Maltese brew, and Tiger beer. Apparently you can actually get Tiger beer here in the States, but I'd never, ever seen it til I went to SE Asia. Very, very popular there. Good drinkable beer too.

Tiger beer isn't bad. I've seen it in Detroit and here in Texas.

Generally, I drink American craft or micro brews. I like amber ales and hefeweizens for lighter beers, and stouts for darker beer. I have started drinking IPA's a lot lately though. I tried to list my favorite beers, but its probably easier to list my favorite breweries.

Bell's (Kalamazoo)

Boulevard (Kansas City)

Spoetzl (Shiner, Texas)

New Belgium (Fort Collins, CO)

Abita (Abita Springs, LA)

Rouge (Newport, OR)

Beers I avoid: Bud, Miller, Coors (except coors lite when I'm tailgating) Heineken or any other mass produced piss beer.

Free beer. :cool:

And since that rarely happens, I usually just stick to the following brands more often than not.

Coors Light

Abita Amber (Abita Springs, only about 10 - 15 minutes from where I live)

Bud Light

Budweiser

Molson

Jamaican Red Stripe

Free!

yes! i forgot to include that. it seems like at every party in the universe, someone brings corona. it's pisswater, but free beer is better than no beer at all! usually. my dad keeps old man beer in the house, like stroh's and that's reserved only for beermergencies (like the rare occasions when the wings get blown out). there are a couple of things i won't touch though, like natural light, or anything w/the word "ice" in it.

Free beer. :cool:

And since that rarely happens, I usually just stick to the following brands more often than not.

Coors Light

Abita Amber (Abita Springs, only about 10 - 15 minutes from where I live)

Bud Light

Budweiser

Molson

Jamaican Red Stripe

i've never tried the amber, but abita bock is a really amazing beer. actually, everything i've ever had by abita has been pretty impressive. even the purple haze is pretty good, despite the fact that every other raspberry beer i've tried has been barf-tastic. you're lucky to live so close! there are only a few places i know of around here that sell it.

Edited by hallelujahlogic

My usuals:

Stella

Heineken

Big Rock - Grasshopper, Warthog, and Traditional are my favs.

Sapporo

Becks

Steamwhistle

Kokanee Gold

I avoid

Molson Canadian

Labatt Blue (Like the plague, I can't stand that s***)

Bud

There is also a beer I had once driving through Montana made by Big Sky Brewery called 'Moose Drool'. Its a brown ale and its not available here, but I have constant cravings for it to this day.

Kokanee is my favorite. When I travel to Calgary I drink it.

I also enjoy:

2. Heineken (keg can ice cold)

3. Molson

4. Pacifico

5. Tecate

6. Blue

7. Fat Tire

8. Guiness

I will try it all.

If I have to drink something boring, I'll always choose Miller Lite over anything else. That's mostly my loyalty to my hometown showing through.

Otherwise, I've become partial to my new (part-time) hometown's microbrews, particularly New Belgium. There's really no better way to spend an afternoon than enjoying free beer on the deck outside the brewery. Especially for a bike-in.

Then, Stella. Heineken. New Glarus.

And, this doesn't really fall under the "beer" category, but I love hard cider. Especially Magners.

I generally like wheat beers the best. My favorite style is Hefeweizen. I am happy that my local Central Market has one of my favorite ones in stock, which is Franziskaner. I also like Erdigner, Weihenstephaner, Ayinger...really, any Bavarian Hefeweizen will do. I have to to buy a bottled American variant that was worth the money. However, BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse (they have them all over Texas and other states I am sure) brews a very good Hefeweizen, so if you are ever hanging out there, don't hesitate to get it. I am also a fan of the Kristallweizen variant, which is nothing but a filtered Hefeweizen without the yeast in the bottle.

As a native German I am also somewhat of a fan of Pilsner beers. These are completely different in the US, I have no clue why a "beer" like Miller Lite calls itself a true Pilsner...meh! Most people don't like these types of beer because a Pils is very hoppy and tends to be bitter to many people. However, it usually has a pleasant aftertaste and it is the most favorite style of beer in Germany.

One of my favorite locals from German is "Torgauer Landbier". I think it is basically an unfiltered wheat beer but without yeast in the bottle. Very tasty! In fact, in a few weeks I am going back for a visit and I already told my dad to stock up on it. ;)

As far as American beers go, I have had several good ones I enjoy. I like getting Shiner Bock, though I don't think it's truly a bock beer, but who cares. I also like Sam Adams, they actually seem to drop a serious amount of hops into their beer. I had Anchor Steam before as well which was good.

:beerbuddy:

The darker the better.

I'm a big fan of Guinness.

There's an Oatmeal Stout that my local Trader Joe's carries that I really like.

But pretty much any Stout.

The stout at BJ's Restaurant ( that C-Dub mentioned) is pretty good to. I think its called Tatonk Stout.

I like my beer looking like motor oil.

94.jpg

after that i like Samuel Adam's Boston Lager and Brown Ale.

There is also a beer I had once driving through Montana made by Big Sky Brewery called 'Moose Drool'. Its a brown ale and its not available here, but I have constant cravings for it to this day.

the local liquor store out here has Moose Drool, but i've never tried it because of the name. since you're vouching for it i think i'll give it a try next time i need some beer.

Current favorites (this changes):

Black Butte Porter - USA

Bridgeport IPA - USA

Trummer Pils - german

La Chouffe (sp? it's a belgian golden) actually I like every belgian beer I've ever tasted

I'm moving to St. Louis soon so I'm holding onto hope that I'll enjoy Schafly's or whatever it is.

i've never tried the amber, but abita bock is a really amazing beer. actually, everything i've ever had by abita has been pretty impressive. even the purple haze is pretty good, despite the fact that every other raspberry beer i've tried has been barf-tastic. you're lucky to live so close! there are only a few places i know of around here that sell it.

I've actually only been there once which is kinda sad. :D

Truth be told though I don't drink beer that much, I'm more of a wine drinker actually. Love red wine.

Unfortunately, variety is lacking down here and most of its domestic.. the non-domestic stuff is only the big name non-domestic stuff. Nothing like good local brewery or regional stuff. Budweiser (the s***ty American stuff) and Natty Light reigns down here heavily, redneck beers for a redneck population.

As for me, usuals are Sam Adams, Amber Boch, Dos Equis, Bass, Guinness, and Smithwicks.

When i was younger I grew up on the popular crap like bud, miller, and corona. Don't really party anymore and need that easy water tasting stuff to drink easily on drinking games. I've started drinking red seal. Any suggestions on similar tasting beers?