• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Japan invents "iceless" ice for skating rinks

Rate this topic

Doesn't iceless ice already exist? I'm quite sure I've seen people skating on ice-like stuff that was actually plastic or something.

They do for ice climbing walls. I've never seen it used for skating though.

yeah i saw this a couple of days ago,and it's basically just that...plastic.....My first thought was that it seems fine for scooting around on but imagine yourself at speed and trying to dig your skates in on a power stop..just wouldn't work..you would either keep sliding or your skates would dig in to the plastic and leave you with a compound fracture....

I skate on artificial ice all the time, i believe it was invented in sweden since they are the main users of it, it is a great training tool as it is about twice as hard to skate on but when your used to it it basically acts like a non slippery version of ice

Ilitch had this on one of the parade float after the first stanley cup (first in modern day for all those jumping at the bit to correct me) Pretty sweet seeing ice skate (plastic Skating) in 88 degree temps

A friend of ours has what we call "fake ice" in his basement. He and his 2 sons are goalies on local leagues so it gets used a lot...it's harder to skate on (but keep in mind, I'm quite the amateur skater), but when I go from that to real ice it's easier to get up more speed. There's also an outdoor public rink in Great Bend, KS with synthetic ice. It's not cheap but now my husband seems to think we need it... :rolleyes:

Doesn't iceless ice already exist? I'm quite sure I've seen people skating on ice-like stuff that was actually plastic or something.

Yeah, I don't know why this is news; I skated on this stuff over 6 years ago so it's not like it is a new invention.

yeah i saw this a couple of days ago,and it's basically just that...plastic.....My first thought was that it seems fine for scooting around on but imagine yourself at speed and trying to dig your skates in on a power stop..just wouldn't work..you would either keep sliding or your skates would dig in to the plastic and leave you with a compound fracture....

if you've never skated on it then what makes you think you can't "power" stop on it?

I was looking into buying this stuff about a year ago and talked to a lot of people and watched videos on the internet of people skating like normal, stopping like normal.

The companies claim the synthetic ice is 90% the speed of real ice... Supposed to build up muscle similar to using a bat weight before batting in baseball.

Its really not much that different once you get used to it. It takes a bit to get used to how it is, but theres not much difference between the two. For those who are concerned on stopping, check this video out

It takes a SMALL bit more effort, but it helps you out when you hit the actual ice. No difference. No you don't spray or anything else.

We had a 35X20 section cutout for us a few years back. Friend of mine worked for one of the companies and they let some people test it out.

Peranis in Livonia has a rink with this inside the store at last check