• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cern

Wings/Blackhawks outdoor game @ Wrigley

Rate this topic

WGN and CSN report Chicago Blackhawks will host the Detroit Red Wings @ Wrigley Field on New Years Day 2009. Most likely reason is the NHL didn't want to pony the $200K for stadium upkeep for Yankee Stadium.

An announcement could be as soon as Thursday. Tony Esposito, Bobby Hull, and Stan Makita are already scheduled to sing the 7th Inning Stretch on Friday @ Wrigley

WGN and CSN report Chicago Blackhawks will host the Detroit Red Wings @ Wrigley Field on New Years Day 2009. Most likely reason is the NHL didn't want to pony the $200K for stadium upkeep for Yankee Stadium.

An announcement could be as soon as Thursday. Tony Esposito, Bobby Hull, and Stan Makita are already scheduled to sing the 7th Inning Stretch on Friday @ Wrigley

hells yes

WHOOT! ROAD TRIP!

I'm a little disappointed in the choice of Wrigley over Soldier Field. Wrigley is a classic ballpark on a nice summer day, but there is NO parking, and obstructed seating. It just doesn't make sense. It will be a logistical nightmare in the winter. Soldier Field at least has a parking lot (even though it's not big enough to handle a sell out) and it has just been remodeled. Plus, it is not configured in a "bowl" shape. It rises steeply and there's not really a bad seat in the house. The only thing I didn't like about it was the wind and COLD right off the lake, and the fact that the ******* BEARS play there. Otherwise, not bad. ;)

I guess we can assume that Soldier Field could not be used because the NFL season would still be going on and they wouldn't want the playing surface to be compromised by plopping a hockey rink on top of it. Usually New Year's falls the week of the final regular game of the season (because we know the Bears aren't going to have to worry about playing in t he playoffs, or anything. :taunt:

Plus, does this mean that the traditional New Year's Eve game at the Joe is not going to happen?

Edited by ChicksDigScars

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239172&amp...os=secStory_nhl

Seems to be confirmed by TSN. Venue is still TBA, but it'll either be Wrigley Field or Soldier Field.

It appears that NHL Winter Classic will be back and making a visit to the Windy City.

TSN has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will take on the Detroit Red Wings next January in what has become the league's annual outdoor game...

...It is not yet clear whether the game would be held at Wrigley Field, home of MLB's Cubs, or Soldier Field, home of the NFL Bears.

They better offer pre-sales for season ticket holders or something. I tried to get tickets to the one this year but it sold out right away.

um... yeah, i wish it was in detroit hosting the hawks, but ill take it regardless as long as the wings are playing! Anyone know when tickets would go on sale? Does anyone remember how early last years went on sale or know what kind of prices we are talking about? I NEED to be at this game, even if it means i gotta start saving now.