• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Official: Hasek announces retirement

Rate this topic

A legend, through and through.

Glad that he will be able to finish his career a Red Wing, and with a Stanley Cup to celebrate with as well!

:thumbup: Hear! Hear! :beerbuddy: :champs: :goalie2:

Thank You Dom for everything. When you came to Detroit, it was the first bit of good news I received after being diagnosed with cancer in 2001. It was a pleasure getting to see you finishing out your career with my favorite team. You will always be my favorite goalie.

I don't get all the people who are glad hasek is retiring. He was 4th last season in GAA and i'm sure if babcock let him finish the nashville series we would've won it in the end. It seemed to me him and ozzie were pushing each other to be better. Now that hasek is gone ozzie is the number 1 guy no matter what. I'd rather have a repeat of this year's situation than having howard back up ozzie. If ozzie struggles, who's gonna step in to save us?

Not going to happen. When has Osgood ever really struggled? It's time for Dom to retire, and he knew it. Dom was so competitive, there was no way he would return for another season in a back-up role to Ozzie.

Howard deserves a chance now, and Ozzie will be just fine. Remember the Red Wings are always one of the best defensive teams in the league, so for Howard it couldn't be a better situation to learn and play in. This was a fitting ending for a brilliant career.

Edited by GoWings1905

I don't get all the people who are glad hasek is retiring. He was 4th last season in GAA and i'm sure if babcock let him finish the nashville series we would've won it in the end. It seemed to me him and ozzie were pushing each other to be better. Now that hasek is gone ozzie is the number 1 guy no matter what. I'd rather have a repeat of this year's situation than having howard back up ozzie. If ozzie struggles, who's gonna step in to save us?

Dom is a great goalie, but it's time.

First of all, GAA is as much a team stat as it is a goaltenders. Hasek finished the season with his lowest save % since he's had since 1993, and behind a considerably better team. He was also starting to develop a lot of nagging injuries. But beyond all that, he looked mortal. The guy is one of the best to ever play the game, but it's definitely time.

As for who's going to save us if Osgood falters, that's pretty much the situation with most teams.

A few pics from the presser this morning:

2008-0609-dg-hasek0178.jpg

a light moment, Dom and that cell phone... :lol:

2008-0609-dg-hasek0111.jpg

Holland was reportedly sad, tears in his eyes as he addressed the crowd:

2008-0609-dg-hasek0275.jpg

Some of Dom's team mates who came to support him today:

2008-0609-dg-hasek0236.jpg

Friends on and off the ice, Dom and Cheli:

2008-0609-dg-hasek0396.jpg

Dom's patient wife, Alena, and their children, Dominika (13) and Michael (18). Michael is remaining in Michigan and will attend Michigan State in the Fall. Dom, Alena and Dominika will return to Czech Republic in the next few days.

2008-0609-dg-hasek0378.jpg

Dom with the Cup. One of a kind player, and the last of his era. He changed the game, forever. Godspeed, Dominik... you will be missed:

13_dominik-hasek-08cup.jpg

I'm not going to lie...I'm sad. I know it was time, but sometimes you don't realize how good you've had it until it's gone. Hasek has done everything the Red Wing organization has asked of him these past two years. He was great in the 07 playoffs and when it was time for Ozzie, Hasek was the consummate teammate, quietly preparing himself and not whining about it to the press.

The man is colorful and intense, but he truly has the heart of a champion. One of my favorite moments came in one of our most painful moments as fans. After Floppa scored in Game 5 of OT in the 2002 WCF...the way Hasek was so defiantly skating off the ice, shaking his head...you could just tell the man was on fire. And then he didn't allow another goal in that series. That passion is what separates him from a lot of other goalies, IMO. Is he nuts? Hell yes. Would I have him any other way?? Hell No.

Thanks for everything Dom! (and you know what is scary....we didn't even see him at his best.) What. A. Beast.

Edited by WingFanInStarLand

Not going to happen. When has Osgood ever really struggled? It's time for Dom to retire, and he knew it. Dom was so competitive, there was no way he would return for another season in a back-up role to Ozzie.

Howard deserves a chance now, and Ozzie will be just fine. Remember the Red Wings are always one of the best defensive teams in the league, so for Howard it couldn't be a better situation to learn and play in. This was a fitting ending for a brilliant career.

oh i agree that howard deserves a chance (finally) and actually i thought he was great in the couple of games he played in this year. so i don't think we should be worried about him being ozzie's back up. what i'm saying is, if dom decided to stay and him and ozzie each played 40 gms and this time ozzie gets to start the playoffs that would be better (IMO) than having ozzie play 50-60 gms. btw, you asked when did osgood struggle? he did have that small stretch of rough games early feb. and quite frankly didn't play as good in the second half of the season. i'm not trying to bash ozzie, he stepped in and was great in the playoffs, but i just really enjoyed seeing the two of them on the team sharing ice time and feeling comfortable that we have 2 great goalies.

LOL :lol::clap:

Anyways yea no more Dom.. sigh.. :(

Gonna really miss him and no offense to Ozzie but Hasek just made the games way more fun to watch ya know? That butterfly crap with little to no movement bores me to death lol. Was awesome to have Hasek in Detroit for the little time we had him! God bless Dominik Hasek and may he always be remembered as the most awesome and wicked elite goalie to ever lace em up! Bye Dom... :crybaby:

this topic already fell off the front page, but some might be interested in a couple of articles from Buffalo News today, where they knew Dom at his best.

You know the old saying, "You don't know what you've got, til it's gone."? I think, in Dom's case, most hockey fans DID know.

We must move on, though. Dom has, and it was the right thing for everyone. To the end, he was thinking of the team and his family... and did was was best for both.

Domination

Dom said it all vs. Devils

this thread can suffice as an appreciation thread, right?

Nice short article by Kevin Allen, who makes a good point. I couldn't agree more that Dom was an artist at his trade. There's Dom... and there's all the rest as far as some of us are concerned.

When Detroit Red Wings goalie Dominik Hasek retired Monday, the NHL lost the last goaltender willing to color outside the lines.

He was an artist at a position where stars today seem more robotic than creative. Today's goaltenders are about technique, body angles and making their equipment as big as it can be. Unorthodox Hasek was about reading the play, trusting his instincts and keeping everyone guessing about what he might do next. Every game Hasek played in his 16 NHL seasons was a work of art, and many of them were masterpieces.

I think it's interesting that Dom's career is bracketed by goalie styles which are more precise and mechanical than they are creative. I guess it's was his time and now, it's not. He knew, I believe.

Picasso in goal

It was the right time but after reading some articles and watching a few clips on YouTube, I must admit I am feeling a bit sad. Truly one of the games greats and he will be missed. It won't be the same without having Hasek playing in the NHL.