• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Official: Hasek announces retirement

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Thanks @ Dom for his three seasons of brilliant play for the team.

I'm glad to see him retire on top and as a Red Wing (again). I suspect this time it'll be for good.

Hasek has had an up and down relationship with Detroit, but he's more than made up for the bitterness some fans felt about his second stint with the Wings.

He's dispelled all doubts that he wasn't a team player or a primadonna. He may have fizzled there at the end, but he never fell the levels of lesser goalies at the ends of their careers, and the only reason he never got a chance to get back on hsi feet was because we could fall back on Ozzie.

This year was one of, if not THE greatest goalie tandems in the history of the NHL and it'll be weird not being able to rely on that next season.

Anyways, my point is, Hasek has earned the respect of pretty much everyone in Hockeytown, and I'm glad he's considering moving here.

Anyone thinking he'll have a role with the franchise like other former players? Goalie development coach maybe? I never thought he would stay with the Wings, being that most of his career was spent elsewhere, but Detroit seems to have that hold over people, and if he's settling in around Detroit, it's a distinct possibility. There's no way a team would pass on a chance to have the Dominator in their organization.

Same as mine. "Dom!!! Get your assinthecreaseohmygodIcan'twatch... SAVE!"

There's no doubt in my mind, Hasek was easily the most entertaining goalie to watch...ever.

I still remember vividly moments in 2002 when he scared the crap out of me only to make some amazing save.

He hardly ever got burned. Amazing.

Anyone remember the time in the '02 playoffs, I think it was against Colorado, when one of the Colorado players was on a breakaway, racing for the puck, and Dom decided to race TOWARDS him, near the blue line, and got to the puck half a second before the skater did? Talk about heart-stopping.

Hasek has had an up and down relationship with Detroit, but he's more than made up for the bitterness some fans felt about his second stint with the Wings.

He's dispelled all doubts that he wasn't a team player or a primadonna. He may have fizzled there at the end, but he never fell the levels of lesser goalies at the ends of their careers, and the only reason he never got a chance to get back on hsi feet was because we could fall back on Ozzie.

This year was one of, if not THE greatest goalie tandems in the history of the NHL and it'll be weird not being able to rely on that next season.

Anyways, my point is, Hasek has earned the respect of pretty much everyone in Hockeytown, and I'm glad he's considering moving here.

Anyone thinking he'll have a role with the franchise like other former players? Goalie development coach maybe? I never thought he would stay with the Wings, being that most of his career was spent elsewhere, but Detroit seems to have that hold over people, and if he's settling in around Detroit, it's a distinct possibility. There's no way a team would pass on a chance to have the Dominator in their organization.

:clap:

I had heard earlier in the season that Dom/family would probably be sticking around the area, since Michael is going to university in Ann Arbor in the Fall. I would love to see him have some role working with goalie development, or something with the Wings.

Dom had a great season with his sexy tandem partner, Ozzie, and I have little doubt, he treasures the time he's spent in Detroit. I am glad to see him go on his own terms, with a smile on his face. It's very fitting that he goes out with the same class as the organization he loved played for, the Detroit Red Wings.

Who, Ozzie, or Howard?

Ozzie will definitely be the starter next year. Howard should see roughly 20 games as the full-time backup.

20? Ozzie did an amazing job in the playoffs but I really don't think that is going to translate into him playing 60+ games next season. I could see Ozzie playing 50 and Howard playing 30 unless Howard plays fantastic but even though Osgood is fairly durable I just can't imagine him getting workhorse like starts.

Best I've ever seen, period.

In his prime, he was the one goalie to really scare the crap out of me going against him, as in "how the hell are we going to get 3 past him and win?" I never get/got quite that feeling with Brodeur or Roy.

I'll admit to hating on him during the 2004 mess, but he more than made up for it with an amazing season/playoffs last year (he never got enough respect for that) and his significant contributions to the Cup team this year (which hopefully will not be forgotten to history).

This is the right thing to happen. I think Hasek's best was better than anyone else's best in history. Its the right time for him to walk away so we can get Howard some games. By the way, I have been disturbed by all the speculation about the Wings going after a starting goalie via free agency. Did you guys forget that Osgood had an All-Star season and led us to a Cup, with a near Conn Smythe-caliber playoffs? Seriously, Osgood is our man next year.

Hating on Hasek for 2004 is completely insane. If you're going to blame anyone for that goaltending mess, blame Ken Holland. He's the one who brought him back. You can't fault for Hasek wanting to play again. Hasek had an option on his contract and Holland re-upped for fear that he'll go to a contender (aka Colorado) and he had zero faith in Joseph. Sure, Hasek wanted to play for Detroit first and foremost, as a lot of players do, but he's just a player doing what he wants to do. It's up to the GM. Holland could have said "No thanks," which is what he did after the playoffs and Dom signed with Ottawa.

Edited by Reilly

Hating on Hasek for 2004 is completely insane. If you're going to blame anyone for that goaltending mess, blame Ken Holland. He's the one who brought him back. You can't fault for Hasek wanting to play again. Hasek had an option on his contract and Holland re-upped for fear that he'll go to a contender (aka Colorado). Sure, Hasek wanted to play for Detroit first and foremost, but he's just a player doing what he wants to do. It's up to the GM. Holland could have said "No thanks," which is what he did after the playoffs and Dom signed with Ottawa.

Hey, I was a staunch CuJo guy. Crazy times back then, and that's just how it goes, especially for goalies who wear the winged wheel. ;)

If my simulated Playstation hockey seasons are to be believed, and by all signs they should be, Dom will somehow end up on Dallas at age 44 and lead them to the Finals only to lose.

In other news:

"Press conference called: Hasek second-guessing retirement"

p.s. only the second tidbit should be taken seriously

Guest Crymson
There's no doubt in my mind, Hasek was easily the most entertaining goalie to watch...ever.

I still remember vividly moments in 2002 when he scared the crap out of me only to make some amazing save.

He hardly ever got burned. Amazing.

Anyone remember the time in the '02 playoffs, I think it was against Colorado, when one of the Colorado players was on a breakaway, racing for the puck, and Dom decided to race TOWARDS him, near the blue line, and got to the puck half a second before the skater did? Talk about heart-stopping.

That was Erik Cole, and it was in the finals.

Dom, thank you. You gave us some great memories, great hockey, and class. You were a trooper when the chips were down, and you are going out the way you deserve to go. I'll probably shed a tear, because it hurts to say goodbye to any of the Wings (I cried when Stevie hung them up too). But know there are a lot of people who love and respect you, Dom. May you have a long, happy life with family and friends surrounding you. You will be missed.

Good to see him going out a champ. He was the best at his position in his prime and I remember when the Wings signed him thinking, if we can't beat 'em......put 'em on our team!

I wish Dom much luck and happiness in his future away from hockey.

I wish Dom the best of luck, he was the most dominating goalie I have seen in my lifetime. He was in a class all his own during his prime!!! Most definitely a first ballot Hall of Famer!

Edited by datsyukfan2000

This is the right thing to happen. I think Hasek's best was better than anyone else's best in history. Its the right time for him to walk away so we can get Howard some games. By the way, I have been disturbed by all the speculation about the Wings going after a starting goalie via free agency. Did you guys forget that Osgood had an All-Star season and led us to a Cup, with a near Conn Smythe-caliber playoffs? Seriously, Osgood is our man next year.

The organization wouldn't have extended Osgood 3 years without planning to start him. It would be a waste of Howard.

Dom Dom Dom... my memories for him goes all the way back to when I first saw him play for the sabres when I was little. At first sight I didn't think that he was that great, with his plain face mask and odd style but as I watched him play and shut out the opposing team, I sat there in awe. From that day on he was my childhood hero. I remember how I almost fainted when the wings got him from Buffalo. He may not have been at his prime during the time spent as a winged wheel but he always had my full support during his ups and downs. He was always class act and played with all his heart.

Thank You for everything.

I will miss you,

We will miss you,

Hockey will miss you.

Some may disagree with me but I know that you could've taken out Pat had you not slipped. ^_^

Edited by Namingway

An Open letter to Dom....

Dom.

A heart felt thank you, as interesting as you made some games which didn't need to be. You almost always found a way to give us the win. You are a true professional who has truly shown the perserverance in coming back to the NHL after your injuries these last few years.

We know that it couldn't have been an easy decision to go to Detroit after making a life in Buffalo. But your sacrifice helped the Wings to the Cup in 2002 and helped you win your first cup. The stars that most people remember were Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull, and Fedorov. But I look back at the game 6 win in Colorado in the Western Conference Finals, Colorado threw everything at you and you came away with the 2-0 win. The game maybe more known for the Patrick Roy "Statue of Liberty" goal, but you shutout the Avs in game 6 and game 7 to win the West. You even had to deal with Bob Hartley's stick measurement in game 6.

You may not have been between the net when the cup was won last week. But you were one of the most important parts of the team all season long.

Congratulations on an outstanding career Dom. I hope Hockeytown will always be a part of you, because you will always be a part of Hockeytown.

Thanks Dom.