• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2008 NHL Awards Ceremony Thread (GDT)

Rate this topic

You do realize the 'sucked it up' part of the season was with Glen Hanlon behind the bench, right? You do know that the 'turnaround' happened after Boudreau replaced him?

It's not like Boudreau was at the helm all year; the Caps went 37-17-7 under Boudreau. That's a 50-23-9 record projected over 82 games; good enough to get them the first seed in the East and second overall if they had played at that level all year. Most people did not expect the Caps' roster to make the playoffs going into the season; by the end of the year, Boudreau had them playing like conference champions, and had won the division. That's impressive, and Adams-worthy.

54-21-7 > 50-23-9

Also the fact that Boudreau lost four less games than the Babcock coached Red Wings team did the entire season, not just 61 games.

The Jack Adams Award to me is one of the worst awards in the game, as the coach who's team wins the Cup almost NEVER win the award. Kind of like saying that the coach that got a 20+ point rise in the standings is worth more than the coach that led his team to Lord Stanley.

They should change the wording of the award from "CoTY" to "Coach who had the best improvement out of his team".

Good lord. I think of all the trophies the league hands out, the Wings won half of them. Between the Wings and the Capitals there are only three trophies left, one of which the Wings aren't eligible for, and one of which they were nominated for.

What a year.

Tonight was the first NHL awards show I've ever watched, due to all the Red Wings Nominated.

It was like the Detroit Red Wings show tonight :thumbup:, loved it! Pavel's thank you speaches were so funny! :lol:

Tonight was the first NHL awards show I've ever watched, due to all the Red Wings Nominated.

It was like the Detroit Red Wings show tonight :thumbup:, loved it! Pavel's thank you speaches were so funny! :lol:

I've watched it for years... but this was probably one of the best (due to many Red Wings), along with the Lifetime Achievement award for Gordie, and the way they had the kids announcing the players. It was one of the best I've seen. :thumbup:

I have to say that as great as it was watching the wings walk away with so many throphies, the awards ceremony was ultra lame lol... It was sooo Canadian and so small. I mean they could have made it much bigger and more interesting at least for Canadian audience that would bring higher ratings... Bettman was just horrible as usual, zero charisma... make Hull the commissioner at least he would look presentable lol

Well, I just got done watching the awards (TiVo-ed it, since I was out of the apartment at the time) and overall, I'm very pleased!

Random assorted thoughts:

~PAVS!! *Fangirl SQUEE* He was so awesome. I was so happy he won both awards, and he was so funny with his acceptance speeches. Especially the second one, which went something like "I have list for who to thank for the first, but now I have nothing! So another short speech. Thank you." *exit stage* LMAO!! And his hair... oh boy. His wife was gorgeous and looked so happy for him.

~Loved how they cut to Zata laughing at the end of Pav's Selke speech. "My speech long, but my English short" (cut to: Zata laughing, hand on forehead) Epic awesomness

~Never seen Babs smile that much!

~Nick's kids = teh cuteness!

~I, rather surprisingly, enjoyed the bit with host guy's cell phone going off and it being "Sean Avery."

The NHL awards... yes, we still have those. No, I don't need help with that other problem.

A mostly amusing show, if it did feel very rushed and put together at the last minute for some reason. The bits with the kids were well done, introducing the nominees. And I liked watching Gordie up there getting the new Lifetime Acheivement Award. Also, it ran over the allotted time, so my bloody DVD cut out right as they were about to announce the winner of the Veinza. <_<

Didn't enjoy the Crosby/Pittsburgh lurve, because Dear Everyone, in case you forgot, they lost. Shocking, I know. :rolleyes: As far as I could tell, Cindy wasn't even there, but I can tell this mostly because they didn't pan over to him every ten seconds.

Congrats to our boys that won!

And to all those other people too, lol. :P

I've kind of had enough with the kids in the jerseys. It's been over done.

They have a kids hockey team every week introduce Hockey Night in Canada, when they named the 2002 Canadian Olympic Team, Hockey Canada had kids in jerseys walk up on stage to represent the players, and then tonight, just to name a few times.

It's a cool idea, and a thrill for the kids, but I feel it's been there done that, try something else.

I've kind of had enough with the kids in the jerseys. It's been over done.

They have a kids hockey team every week introduce Hockey Night in Canada, when they named the 2002 Canadian Olympic Team, Hockey Canada had kids in jerseys walk up on stage to represent the players, and then tonight, just to name a few times.

It's a cool idea, and a thrill for the kids, but I feel it's been there done that, try something else.

hmm how about hot girls, wearing nothing but jerseys? And the girls would actually be from the country that the player is from, sweden russia, canada and etc

I happen to agree. Z's playoff performance was epic and I think he is the early favorite for next year's Selke. The voters will not forget his 2008 playoff performance when they are voting for the 2009 award.

Agreed.

I'm happy anytime a Wing wins an award, but honestly based on regular season performance, I think the Selke should've gone to Madden. I guess it comes down to your interpretation of the award. Dats is clearly one of the best in the league as a two-way forward, though he's not even best on his team. His astronomical takeaway stat was probably a big influence on his winning it because he's such a pickpocket.

Everybody can feel free to flame away. I'll say it again, I think Dats is near the top of the league, but not number one.

Still it's good anytime a Wing gets recognition because most of them don't get enough, Datsyuk included.

EDIT: And I honestly hope Dats doesn't win the Lady Byng next year. I loved seeing him muck it up and throw punches at Roberts.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Datysuk has the best hands in the game and can read plays as well as he can set them up. He plays with grit and is relentless. Aside from the 5 on 3, I thought he was the best def. forward on the wings in the post season as well.

Datsyuk left the awards show with a good joke. Asked what he’d done for the past week, Datsyuk was quick with a reply.

“I try to ask my wife because I not remember,” he said. “I remember party, but don’t remember how I wake up at home.”

How can you not love this guy :D

ROFLMAO...how typical of Pasha. Conjures up a chorus of "Wasn't That a Party"...

Could have been the whiskey

Might have been the gin

Could've been the three or four sixpacks, I don't know

But look at the mess I'm in

My head is like a football

I think I'm gonna die

Tell me, me oh, me oh my

Wasn't that a party?

Edited by Kira

Just finished watching the rest of the show on DVR. went mostly as expected. You could make a strong argument for Babcock winning, but I bet he'd rather keep the hardware he got this season. :P

oh, and actually the one surprise for me was Brodeur for Vezina. Not a shabby pick, but I thought it would go to Nabokov.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I've watched many NHL Award Shows and this was probably my favourite. Dats, Lids, Z and Babs (as well as Bowman, Holland, Nill, etc.) together one last time before the summer, an emotional tribute to Gordie and his lifetime achievement award, Datsyuk's speeches (although Kane's remark about his sisters was the quip of the night) and Ovie winning the Hart (s*** it Cindy!). Oh and I was at the red carpet arrivals prior to the live broadcast too! (got my jersey signed by Dats, Lids, Z and Babs!!!) All in all a wonderful evening!

The girlfriend was kind of plain, and nowhere nearly as pretty as Hank's wife, but the dress works well on her- a very elegant dress, fits correctly through the chest (she's neither swimming in it nor is anything straining to escape) and the waist works well with her shape and doesn't make her look pregnant, which is a common problem with empire waists like that.

The girlfriend was kind of plain, and nowhere nearly as pretty as Hank's wife, but the dress works well on her- a very elegant dress, fits correctly through the chest (she's neither swimming in it nor is anything straining to escape) and the waist works well with her shape and doesn't make her look pregnant, which is a common problem with empire waists like that.

lol, you crack me up. Where were you during all the Wings' games? I can just imagine, to the left skates Datsyuk in rather baggy shorts which do little to accentuate his backside. The jersey top hangs loosely off the large shoulder pads, however the deep red color is quite becoming...

Are you a fashion critic? Good stuff.

Also, if anybody would be so kind to youtube, I turned it on just as Gordie was getting his award and missed all of Pavel.

Long ago, I got hooked on the British version of What Not To Wear, and follwed that up with Tim Gunn's Guide to Style. (Because Tim is just The Awesome)

I won't do style commentary on people wearing athletic uniforms because functionality is the most important thing. (Though I do recommend Rhodent's Bush League Factor site- http://www.bushleaguefactor.com/ for minor league logo design critique) But coaching staffs and everyone else off-ice is fair game. Though except for anthem singers, we're talking all men who usually stick with uneventful suit & tie and the only really interesting variations come from Don Cherry and minor league off ice officials. (I think the ECHL's blazers were recycled from the ones the Southern League was using when they folded in 1977, and they just put new patches over the old ones)

Edited by selkie

Agreed.

I'm happy anytime a Wing wins an award, but honestly based on regular season performance, I think the Selke should've gone to Madden. I guess it comes down to your interpretation of the award. Dats is clearly one of the best in the league as a two-way forward, though he's not even best on his team. His astronomical takeaway stat was probably a big influence on his winning it because he's such a pickpocket.

Everybody can feel free to flame away. I'll say it again, I think Dats is near the top of the league, but not number one.

Still it's good anytime a Wing gets recognition because most of them don't get enough, Datsyuk included.

EDIT: And I honestly hope Dats doesn't win the Lady Byng next year. I loved seeing him muck it up and throw punches at Roberts.

Respectfully disagree with you about how Madden should have won the Selke. The best +/- in the league and the top in takeaways plus leading the team in points for the regular season (Crap with those stats he should have been in the final 3 for the Hart)? That just kind of screams Selke. Yeah I do not think he will be nominated for the LB next season based on how he really finished his checks in the playoffs, which is probably a good thing to look forward to next season :)

Respectfully disagree with you about how Madden should have won the Selke. The best +/- in the league and the top in takeaways plus leading the team in points for the regular season (Crap with those stats he should have been in the final 3 for the Hart)? That just kind of screams Selke. Yeah I do not think he will be nominated for the LB next season based on how he really finished his checks in the playoffs, which is probably a good thing to look forward to next season :)

like I said, it comes down to interpretation of the award.

To me, his leading the team in points shouldn't really factor in, as it's about embodying the defensive aspects of the game. The takeaways are crazy good. And his plus minus is great obviously, but he plays on a strong defensive team on a super talented line. For me things like PK are a huge factor. Dats is strong on it, but not even the go to guy on his team.

Like I said, I'm happy got recognition because he's a great player, but I just personally think the takeaway stat got too much weight, when there's more to the defensive forward than that.

now i dont speak any other language but should'nt datsyuk have it down pat by now or is it just that hard?

I'm a little bit surprised his English is not a bit better since he's been here for quite a few years. But I will say going from Russian to English has to be alot harder than many of the other Germanic and Romance languages. Different alphabet and roots.

He is so cute trying though - I thought it was sincere regardless. I will say that when the Wings played the Avs he was the interviewee on the Avs network at intermission a few times and he sounded great - I think the stage fright may have had something to do with it.

Go Pavel! Wish him and Z could both have won it - but cannot feel too bad for Hank w the Smythe. ;)

I have to say that as great as it was watching the wings walk away with so many throphies, the awards ceremony was ultra lame lol... It was sooo Canadian and so small. I mean they could have made it much bigger and more interesting at least for Canadian audience that would bring higher ratings... Bettman was just horrible as usual, zero charisma... make Hull the commissioner at least he would look presentable lol

At least have Hully host the awards - we need some humor. Seriously, if there weren't so many Wings nominated and at the awards, not sure I could sit through that. I suppose there is not a big audience for NHL awards on Vs in June - but at least make it a party for the attendees! And yes - Bettman is just intolerable.