• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
b.shanafan14

Pressure now to get Filppula signed

Rate this topic

Read my response to yours as it structured down to amounts...

Ahhh, i thought you meant give him like 2.25, 2.75, 3.25, 3.5, 4.5 or something to that nature where the first years are low then it is back loaded. I thought, that you thought, if we gave him a "low" early salary but a higher average salary in hopes that the early salary is the amount that counts towards the cap, not the average.

Who cares about Flip if you have a chance to sign Hossa after this year, especially if Flip wants 5 million. Flip will never make it past the second line nor score more than 50 points.

Please, please don't start with this Flip > Hossa.

I don't think people are arguing Flip is better then Hossa, rather the concern is that we lose Flip to a huge offer sheet, and Hossa doesn't resign with us next summer. If we win the cup again next year, it would be worth it - but if we lose and Hossa goes elsewhere after one year, it will kind of suck to have lost Flip.

I am confident Holland gets him done up next. 3 years at 2.75 or something similar to the last Zetterberg contract.

I dont see the need. Keeping Hudler and Franzen, and having Hossa, makes Filpula kind of expendable. Plus, he's maybe worth 2.5, but I wouldnt even give him that. So if he really wants upwards of 3 to 4 million, lets just take the draft picks.

I don't think the Hossa deal really affects Filppula -- yet. He MUST be the next Red Wing signed, however. There's $4,027,667 (est) left under the cap, and you can expect him to get at least half that.

It's going to be interesting to see if Chelios, McCarty/Downey get re-signed at this point. I'd expect a trade on the blueline at some point for some cap relief. It's hard to see Chelios at anything higher than the minimum at this point.

I agree man, I'm not even sure i want Chelios around for the minimum..

If I'm Filpulla I would sign a 1 year deal with Detroit.

On one wing, he has a beast in Marian Hossa, who incidentally is in a contract year ;) On the other wing he has another beast in Johan Franzen, who also incidentally is also in a contract year ;)

If Flip doesn't put up career numbers he wants shooting. With Hossa and Franzenstein he should put up career highs in goals and assists, and wait for the big offers to come flooding in.

And don't forget, if someone offers him $5M this year, they have to give up an insane amount of draft picks. The absolute most anyone will offer him is $3.9M which will cost them a 1st and a 3rd. I love Flip, but he's not worth $4M+ and he's not worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I dont see the need. Keeping Hudler and Franzen, and having Hossa, makes Filpula kind of expendable. Plus, he's maybe worth 2.5, but I wouldnt even give him that. So if he really wants upwards of 3 to 4 million, lets just take the draft picks.

Filppula is expendable this year? Maybe but Hossa isn't there past this year. Thats why I want him signed is for the future. They will keep him unless he signs an offer sheet with someone else.

There is 4.027 million left, I don't think padding for a trade deadline move is a necessity this year.

So Filppula signs for 2.65 (Zetterbergs RFA contract)

you have 1.377 left.

What you have to keep in mind is according to nhlnumbers.com Kopecky is .5 against cap, Meech is 0.483 against cap and Lebda is 0.65 against cap, so no matter how the roster shakes out relieve .483-.65 from the cap and you have 1.8 million left in reality.

That is enough to sign chelios and mcCarty/Downey

Plus they could always trade somebody like Samuelsson and get cap relief that way.

plus also keep in mind you can be 10% over cap until opening day so they can spend more to keep filppula chelios and mccarty or downey and sort out the cap crunch, waiver and trade crap later.

Really?

The Wings can not sign him to a 3 year deal - making 2.25 million this year - then 3.0 million the 2nd year - and then 3.5 million the 3rd year?

Yes they can BUT the league has the final say if its a go or not... Nashville tried locking up someone and the numbers were like 1.33 2.5 4.5 for 3 years and the league denied it ... dont quote me on those numbers but it was spaced out dramatically.. .

Flip had a great year - solid playoffs and I really enjoy watching him play. I'm pretty confident the Wings will get it done - he fits this team well - but I wouldn't go too crazy on the salary - I'll be sad if he leaves but it won't be the worst thing that could happen....

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Flip had a great year - solid playoffs and I really enjoy watching him play. I'm pretty confident the Wings will get it done - he fits this team well - but I wouldn't go too crazy on the salary - I'll be sad if he leaves but it won't be the worst thing that could happen....

What is the compensation for an RFA you lose to a 4 mil or 5 mil offer? My guess is at least 1 first rounder, maybe more?

Yes they can BUT the league has the final say if its a go or not... Nashville tried locking up someone and the numbers were like 1.33 2.5 4.5 for 3 years and the league denied it ... dont quote me on those numbers but it was spaced out dramatically.. .

Well that is a big increase from year to year... .5 million is not that much on an increase per year is it?

It has to be realistic...

If they have to trade Samuelson definately go for it, but I don't think Kenny wants to part with any of the players who played throughout the finals. They'll have to finagle a little bit, but you can't say it wasn't worth it to Hossa, espeacially since the wings have so much depth.

What is the compensation for an RFA you lose to a 4 mil or 5 mil offer? My guess is at least 1 first rounder, maybe more?

copied this this from TSN:

Salary Range / Compensation

Below $863,156 -> No Compensation

$863,156-$1,307,812 -> Third-round pick

$1,307,812-$2,615,625 -> Second-round pick

$2,615,625-$3,923,437 -> First- and third-round picks

$3,923,437-$5,231,249 -> First-, second and third-round picks

$5,231,249-$6,539,062 -> Two first-rounders, a second-round pick and a third-round pick.

$6,539,062 or more -> Four first-round picks

if flip is offered less than 2.6m then the wings will almost certainly match it. if he is offered more than that and the wings don't match then they will get at least a 1st and a 3rd.

Holland mentions in the interview on detroitredwings.com when discussing the Hossa deal, that he is already talking to Flip's agent, and they're just trying to decide if they want to do short or long term. He didn't sound at all like there were any concerns of losing him.

Holland mentions in the interview on detroitredwings.com when discussing the Hossa deal, that he is already talking to Flip's agent, and they're just trying to decide if they want to do short or long term. He didn't sound at all like there were any concerns of losing him.

PHEW!

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing Filppula go somewhere else. If he does sign elsewhere, the contract he'll sign for will be at least 2 million dollars, which means at least a first rounder and a third rounder for us. We have a solid team right now, and we have solid prospects waiting for their chance to play. They definitely aren't as good as Val, but after signing Hossa and keeping our future in mind, I think I would prefer at least 2M extra cap space + 1st rounder + 3rd rounder for next year than Filppula on an already stacked team. And thats all if he signs for under 3M, which the Wings can currently match. If he signs for more than 3M (which would be more realistic, should he decide to leave), then we also get a 2nd rounder.

I don't think the Hossa deal really affects Filppula -- yet. He MUST be the next Red Wing signed, however. There's $4,027,667 (est) left under the cap, and you can expect him to get at least half that.

It's going to be interesting to see if Chelios, McCarty/Downey get re-signed at this point. I'd expect a trade on the blueline at some point for some cap relief. It's hard to see Chelios at anything higher than the minimum at this point.

To me the interesting story is not whether we will sign Flip. Instead, it's who's going to lose the game of Devil Take the Hindmost? Someone at the bottom of the roster is going to be sent packing.

Do you have a link to that interview?