• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

"Lidstrom Cap" for re-signing next year's free agents

Rate this topic

All this says is that he thinks Zetterbergs salary will be less than Lidstroms for the following season. Not the cap hit. He could make 7M next year, but if hes making 9.5M in year 3 of whats expected to be a long-term contract, then it doesnt mean much for the cap hit and it matters little overall since the Wings dont have a budget.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Not taking a pot-shot at the OP, that article sounds like a load of crap from a writer just bs'ing his way through a uneventful deadline.

Seriously, if the "Lidstrom Cap" is $7.45, does it really matter if Hank takes a few years at a lower salary and the latter at an extremely high amount? Players and their agents have two basic things in mind when it comes to contract finances.

1. Total Amount.

2. Number of years.

They don't care so much how it breaks downs. What they are after is getting the closest to each as possible.

Example.

Hank wants 8 year deal, at $60-$80 million.

His agent negotiates a deal, 7 years at $70 million.

It would seem to me that most contracts in the NHL are heavy on the latter years, that's usually how it works out. So what would Hank really care if two years in a row he made $5 million, in order to jump up to $12 million for the next 5?

He gets his money. It's an outrageous amount of money anyhow, it isn't like it will really have much of an effect on his finances. I mean, you get to a certain point and it's literally just more money sitting there in the bank.

If there's someone on the team that should be making more than Lidstrom it's Zetterberg.

But realistically no one should be making more than Lidstrom. It would be nice to see Z take the same money that Datsyuk gets considering they are pretty much equals, but I definitely doubt we'd be that lucky.

Edited by DatsyukownzU13

Guest mindfly

I wonder why no one can make more than him... imo it's just silly... if he wants to be a good captain and take slightly less money GOOD, but that shouldnt force anyone to make less than his just because of that.

I wonder why no one can make more than him... imo it's just silly... if he wants to be a good captain and take slightly less money GOOD, but that shouldnt force anyone to make less than his just because of that.

I doubt Lidstrom would mind. It's more of a respect thing on Holland's end. He doesn't want to offer people more money than the Captain/Best player without Lids' okay. From what I heard, Holland was going to ask Nick if he would be fine with making less than Hossa (which I'm sure he would've been), but Hossa stopped him before he could. It's not like Nick forced Hossa to take less.

:lol: We all talk about it, but the Wings should patent that phrase: "The Lidstrom Cap".

Actually this guy makes a great point about keeping Z's salary low for the first couple years (and really only the first year is necessary due to Lidstrom's contract expiring after the 09/10 season). That being said, the Wings also need to be careful with the cap this coming year because there are reports that it could be going down.

This may be a dream scenario, but I'd love for Z to take a long-term Lidstrom like contract (I.E. $7.45 million for 7-8 years) and then if Lidstrom decides to keep playing (god willing) have him take a contract in the ballpark of $6.75-$7.25 million. While I understand what some people are saying about Lidstrom having already "made his money" and as a result he should let others have their chance, you still have to pay him a nice sized contract. He isn't making what he's worth right now, and barring an unexpected massive decline in play $6.75-$7.25 per is still going to be an absolute steal for him, but you've got to pay him well given all the cuts he's taken to help the Wings out.

It's the furthest thing from silly. How much per season do you think Lidstrom is worth to any of the other 29 teams in the NHL? If Lidstrom tested the market he'd easily be making $10 million per season and it would be well worth it. Lidstrom continues to help the Red Wings brass out by signing for over $2.5 million less than what he's worth.

Kenny and Co. most certainly aren't going to kick him in the balls and give Z a contract that dwarfs the guy that is *most* responsible for the Wings success these past 5-6 years.

It's the furthest thing from silly. How much per season do you think Lidstrom is worth to any of the other 29 teams in the NHL? If Lidstrom tested the market he'd be making easily $10 million per season and it would be well worth it. Lidstrom continues to help the Red Wings brass out by signing for over $2.5 million less than what he's worth.

Kenny and Co. most certainly aren't going to kick him in the balls and give Z a contract that dwarfs the guy that is *most* responsible for the Wings success these past 5-6 years.

I couldn't have said it better! :thumbup:

Guest mindfly
It's the furthest thing from silly. How much per season do you think Lidstrom is worth to any of the other 29 teams in the NHL? If Lidstrom tested the market he'd easily be making $10 million per season and it would be well worth it. Lidstrom continues to help the Red Wings brass out by signing for over $2.5 million less than what he's worth.

In my opinion, no one is worth 10million, ovechkin is overpaid...Lidström at his age should get around 6million imo.

and that 2.5million cut he takes isnt "HUGE", if lidström would accept a 3-4million salary that would be huge cut.

Edited by mindfly

In my opinion, no one is worth 10million, ovechkin is overpaid...Lidström at his age should get around 6million imo.

and that 2.5million cut he takes isnt "HUGE", if lidström would accept a 3-4million salary that would be huge cut.

No offense, but if thats your opinion than it isn't very realistic based on professional sports and the current league salary cap and CBA.

Just because Lidstrom isn't a spring chicken anymore doesn't mean he isn't the best player in the world. Age is minor when your play is better than anyone elses.

$3-4 Million for Lidstrom. :lol:

It's called reality.

I don't have much to back up with this, but i think many people will be surprised how low Z:s paycheck will be. I wouldn't be surprised if he took Datsyuk-money, below 7 mill cap hit. The only thing im basing this on is how humble and nice he is as a person. Im swedish, and have heard him on different occations say that the Red Wings is his team, won't play anywhere else hopefully. He speaks of it with such certainty, he seems to be really happy with his life here.

Were you high when you typed this? Seriously.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
No offense, but if thats your opinion than it isn't very realistic based on professional sports and the current league salary cap and CBA.

Just because Lidstrom isn't a spring chicken anymore doesn't mean he isn't the best player in the world. Age is minor when your play is better than anyone elses.

$3-4 Million for Lidstrom. :lol:

It's called reality.

IMO, players, all players, are paid too much. The owners make way too much and the players make way too much.

For instance, I took my wife and 2 friends to the Browns/Bengals game a couple of weeks ago. Got nice tickets to the tune of $80.00 a pop. One trip for food resulted in 1 bag of popcorn, 2 beers and 1 thing of nachos (with peppers at extra charge of course) and that cost me around $27.00. Factor in parking and other beverages and I blew over $400.00 for one ******* 3 hour piece of s*** sporting event.

Look at the stories coming out of Dallas and New York. People pissing on the thought of PSL's and increased pricing for everything. And hockey is following the same path as football and baseball.

Everything is too expensive. Average Joe has to sock away a couple hundred bucks just to go to a game and get decent seats??? That's f***ed up. The whole thing is f***ed up. I haven't gone to a hockey game in almost 2 years on my own dime. My wife did get me Wings tickets last year at the Joe though for x-mas. But that's what it has resorted to.

The cost of going to a single sporting event has just about priced itself out of the reach of most people.

If Lidstrom were to only make 3 million a year, I wouldn't cry a single ******* tear for him. Of course we as stupid mammals continue to pay through the nose for sporting events and we perpetuate this goddamned ridiculous system so............ARRGHHHHH!

I ******* hate this topic. Hell, I pay a couple hundred bucks a year and I get NHL center ice and the Sunday ticket. By not going to about 3-4 sporting events I can buy myself a new, phat, hi-def tv to watch in the comfort of my own home. Athletes are all ******* overpaid and that includes Nick Lidstrom. Market, shmarket, they are all overpaid.

IMO, players, all players, are paid too much. The owners make way too much and the players make way too much.

For instance, I took my wife and 2 friends to the Browns/Bengals game a couple of weeks ago. Got nice tickets to the tune of $80.00 a pop. One trip for food resulted in 1 bag of popcorn, 2 beers and 1 thing of nachos (with peppers at extra charge of course) and that cost me around $27.00. Factor in parking and other beverages and I blew over $400.00 for one ******* 3 hour piece of s*** sporting event.

Look at the stories coming out of Dallas and New York. People pissing on the thought of PSL's and increased pricing for everything. And hockey is following the same path as football and baseball.

Everything is too expensive. Average Joe has to sock away a couple hundred bucks just to go to a game and get decent seats??? That's f***ed up. The whole thing is f***ed up. I haven't gone to a hockey game in almost 2 years on my own dime. My wife did get me Wings tickets last year at the Joe though for x-mas. But that's what it has resorted to.

The cost of going to a single sporting event has just about priced itself out of the reach of most people.

If Lidstrom were to only make 3 million a year, I wouldn't cry a single ******* tear for him. Of course we as stupid mammals continue to pay through the nose for sporting events and we perpetuate this goddamned ridiculous system so............ARRGHHHHH!

I ******* hate this topic. Hell, I pay a couple hundred bucks a year and I get NHL center ice and the Sunday ticket. By not going to about 3-4 sporting events I can buy myself a new, phat, hi-def tv to watch in the comfort of my own home. Athletes are all ******* overpaid and that includes Nick Lidstrom. Market, shmarket, they are all overpaid.

:violin:

Whether professional athelets are overpaid *as a whole* or not has nothing to do with what I said. Stating that Lidstrom should be making $3-4 million *based on current market costs* is ridiculous no matter how pissed off you are about the price of sporting events or how much atheletes make as a whole. Your disdain for that has nothing to do with Lidstroms market value.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
:violin:

Whether professional athelets are overpaid *as a whole* or not has nothing to do with what I said. Stating that Lidstrom should be making $3-4 million *based on current market costs* is ridiculous no matter how pissed off you are about the price of sporting events or how much atheletes make as a whole. Your disdain for that has nothing to do with Lidstroms market value.

Take it easy there Mac, I wasn't commenting on his market value. I was just venting at the ridiculousness of it all. I guess I should've used the little rant emoticon, huh?

Take it easy there Mac, I wasn't commenting on his market value. I was just venting at the ridiculousness of it all. I guess I should've used the little rant emoticon, huh?

I'm not worried one bit, but the rant emoticon would've been nice.

My response was in regards to you replying to my post stating that all players are overpaid. I simply replied that has nothing to do with market value. No harm, no foul.

Jesus Christ... $400 for only one game. Average salary in my country is slightly more than $1000 LMAO.

The only thing this post is missing is a :thumbup::thumbdown: or a mention of Rory Fitzgerald.

The verbal shellacking you give Lidstrom continually is patently over-the-top.

Jesus Christ... $400 for only one game. Average salary in my country is slightly more than $1000 LMAO.

It's just supply and demand really...however I do think they're paid more than is necessary but you can't blame them for trying to get as much as possible. That said, I cannot afford to go to a game (though I did pay $175 for one seat at Detroit/SJ Game 3 in 2007, but I guess that's the point)...

Holland will weave his magic. Zetterberg is also likely to give us a hometown discount. At the end of the day, he will be a Wing for life. Franzen is next, we need too and we will re-sign him because he is the future Homer and as such is an essential to Red Wings hockey. As for Hossa, let him go. No money for him realistically and throw in the fact that he is superfluous on this team, all will be well. Keep OUR two guys and let Hossa walk...unless he wants to play for similar money that he is making now. But really, it is not safe to have too much money tied into like 4 players, ask the Lightning about that.

I doubt Lidstrom would mind. It's more of a respect thing on Holland's end. He doesn't want to offer people more money than the Captain/Best player without Lids' okay. From what I heard, Holland was going to ask Nick if he would be fine with making less than Hossa (which I'm sure he would've been), but Hossa stopped him before he could. It's not like Nick forced Hossa to take less.

Lidstrom was also quoted last year in a swedish newspaper stating he'd play for a ridiculously low salary (seems like he said 35k per year but I may be off on that one). I'm wondering if he wouldn't be willing to sign for 5-6 million per year, which would allow Kenny to re-sign Franzen and Hossa. I could see him doing that. Yzerman did it at the end of his career so the precedence has been set.

I can't believe I found that quote from him:

http://www.topix.com/forum/hockey-players/...DMQ20ODUQ763HN4