• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
imisssergei

Where are the fans?

Rate this topic

The Lions lack of attendance has only been of recent. I mean, when you haven't won a single game all season, eventually, people are gonna stop showing up. I can almost guarantee you this would be the case whether the team was situated in a struggling city or not. There wasn't a lack of attendance problem at the beginning of the season.

As for the Pistons, they sold out every game from 2004-2008. Don't believe me? http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/attendance_records.html Oh and and as for this year, they only rank as NUMBER ONE IN ATTENDANCE IN THE NBA. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance. Lull in attendance huh?

Last season, the Tigers set a single-season attendance record with 3 million. They finished 8th in the league and ended with an average of 98.6% of full capacity attendance rate per game.

Still care to argue with me? I agree that times are tough but for the most part, it seems to only be reflecting upon the Wings....hmmmm <_<

Sure I can argue. School is out and there's no running around for after school programs like sports. Also with three or four games in a row it's easy to say I can miss today but go tomorrow. No snow, it's easier to put a kid in tshirsts and shorts. Finally kids understand the game better because it's cheaper for a dad to buy a ball, bat and glove then it is to equip a hockey player.

As far as Pistons. My arguement, location, location, location. Most people that go to sporting events live in the burbs. Palace is easy on and easy off. Face it michigan is a BB state. UoM and State both have done really well. So are the pistons. And they have cheerleaders! HAHA. But again it's easier for a dad to buy a ball and hoop then equip his son with equip.

I started going to games at Joe Louis in 1983, when I moved to Detroit.

Used to walk up to the box office at game time and the ticket guy would ask "where do you want to sit".

They used to give away a Jeep every game to get people in there.

But then again, they sucked. Everyone called them the "dead Wings". It was Stevie Y's first year here. I went to a LOT of bad hockey games.

During the 90's my goal was to see the Wings play in every building in the NHL. Made it to Montreal (Forum), Quebec (Le Colissee) Toronto (MLG) and Calgary (Saddledome), Pittsburgh, Philly, Florida, Tampa, Chicago, Dallas...times were good!

Now we are "hockeytown". The Red Wings are a cash cow. A brand that has been established for excellence.

I used to be a season ticket holder. (early 90's). Then I split season tickets with a friend as the prices went up and up.

Then 3 friends. Eventually I had to just let them go because they were too expensive and I had to make some hard decisions.

It doesn't make me any less of a fan.

I still watch every game like I was right there in those seats. But yes, the time does come for people if they have to choose between buying a Red Wings ticket or pay their car insurance. To buy stuff for your kids or go to a game. Heck, I have so many friends out of work right now that would love to go to a Wings game, it's just not possible.

Sure I can argue. School is out and there's no running around for after school programs like sports. Also with three or four games in a row it's easy to say I can miss today but go tomorrow. No snow, it's easier to put a kid in tshirsts and shorts. Finally kids understand the game better because it's cheaper for a dad to buy a ball, bat and glove then it is to equip a hockey player.

As far as Pistons. My arguement, location, location, location. Most people that go to sporting events live in the burbs. Palace is easy on and easy off. Face it michigan is a BB state. UoM and State both have done really well. So are the pistons. And they have cheerleaders! HAHA. But again it's easier for a dad to buy a ball and hoop then equip his son with equip.

Dude! All those points I can completely agree with. Basketball and Baseball are totally more of "pick up and play" sports and the lack of programs to get kids interested does take its toll. Your original argument though was that of attendance rates!

I do have to disagree about Michigan being a BB state. Unless times have REALLY changed for the worse.

I only say that Michigan is a BB state because of the Fact MSU and Uof M did so well for a while there.

I forgot Veterans Day pin. That makes 9 of 11 give aways.

I am assuming most of the fans who would normally go to the game can be found in the unemployment lines or other government offices appling for food stamps or things of the same to try to do what ever possible to support their family in this horrid ecomonic state of michigan.

I bought 10th row uppers for $34 and sat in the 4th row next to the canucks bench.. I love fans not going to the games!

I understand that times are tough in Michigan right now, but I really don't know how far that can argument go anymore when the Pistons/Lions/Tigers still consistently sell out almost every game.

Are Michiganers just giving less and less a s*** about a hockey? Specifically the Wings? In all honestly, this lack of fan dilemma we have at the Joe started almost immediately after Stevie Y retired. Seems like hockey left Detroit with Steve stepped off the ice.

On a plus side, I do notice that Friday and especially Saturday games still get many fans at the Joe.

The fact that its hockey in it of itself is an issue. Its a niche sport. Fortunately for the state of Michigan, they have a lot of people who support that sport, but they're also largely blue collar supporters.

Football and baseball are Americas sports and I think the fact that the Pistons play in an arena not far from bloomfield/west bloomfield/troy/birmingham/rochester may play into that.

Getting a lot of fans on fridays and saturdays to me speaks to the economy as well. A lot of people have to leave early from work to get to a game, and some people like to take the following day off of work after a game. In this economy, you have to take all the hours you can get if you're making an hourly wage.

Sometimes I think Detroit fans are just crap. I've been to two games this year and made myself hoarse from yelling. I was the only one in my party to do so until late in the game after they drank enough liquid courage.

During the televised broadcasts, many fans show more interest in jumping up to turn away from the play toward the camera than actually jumping up for the play itself. During the commercial breaks everyone gets out of the seats for a chance to get on the Jumbotron.

The last and worst incident occurred at the Ducks game: some ****** in a suite actually had the Monday night football game on. That still irks me.

And that is the problem. Detroit only has a handful of true hockey fans, a lot of casual fans and then a few bandwagoneers, but even they are too busy on the Baseball or Basketball bandwagon.

It's the Atlanta Braves syndrome, winning gets boring. Now, the regular season doesn't mean a thing. There isnt' much for the casual fan to get up for, especially games against Columbus, Nashville and Phoenix in January and February. What competition do they have? About all they have is to see how many points they can get in the regular season. Four Cups in 11 years means regular seasons and the first two rounds of the playoffs are meaningless.

The economy has some to do with it, but the Wings crapped on their fans for so long that getting them back is proving tough. The Pistons did it in the mid-90's by lowering all their ticket prices and marketing toward a younger crowd. The Wings kept raising their prices. After the lockout the Wings payroll was cut immensely, but they didnt' lower ticket prices which really ticked off many fans.

Edited by dadair

Where are the fans you ask? They are at home waiting for when the games are meaningful or at least until an opponent they care about comes to town. Many are watching at home wishing they could afford to go or get one of those empty seats the corp suits bought up, or watching the Pistons.

It's the Atlanta Braves syndrome, winning gets boring. Now, the regular season doesn't mean a thing. There isnt' much for the casual fan to get up for, especially games against Columbus, Nashville and Phoenix in January and February. What competition do they have? About all they have is to see how many points they can get in the regular season. Four Cups in 11 years means regular seasons and the first two rounds of the playoffs are meaningless.

The economy has some to do with it, but the Wings crapped on their fans for so long that getting them back is proving tough. The Pistons did it in the mid-90's by lowering all their ticket prices and marketing toward a younger crowd. The Wings kept raising their prices. After the lockout the Wings payroll was cut immensely, but they didnt' lower ticket prices which really ticked off many fans.

In the mid- 1990s, the Redwings were on their way up while the Pistons were fading fast from their glory days of the late 80s- early 90s. By then, fans took notice that the Wings were consistent winners and contenders for the first time in 30 years and without a championship dating back to 1955. I do agree that they should have lowered prices after the lockout though. Add to that they were the hottest ticket in town as everyone else sucked.

I understand that times are tough in Michigan right now, but I really don't know how far that can argument go anymore when the Pistons/Lions/Tigers still consistently sell out almost every game.

Are Michiganers just giving less and less a s*** about a hockey? Specifically the Wings? In all honestly, this lack of fan dilemma we have at the Joe started almost immediately after Stevie Y retired. Seems like hockey left Detroit with Steve stepped off the ice.

On a plus side, I do notice that Friday and especially Saturday games still get many fans at the Joe.

You see more people wearing Red Wings gear around the Metro area then Lions, Pistons and somewhat of the Tigers. So I think you can throw out the "Are Michiganers just giving less and less a s*** about a hockey?"

Edited by Jwo

check the bars around game time.. you will find them sipping on $3 24oz instead of paying for tickets and $8.75 beers at the joe. its relative... you have no money you don't go to where they are raping your wallets.

I am a season ticket holder at the Joe & often see a lot of the lower bowl seats empty. They seem to be all clumped together, rather than 2 here or 3 there.... it's more like a half of a row in one place here & another there.

Isn't the official max capacity of the Joe 20,056?

On NHL.com you can download the game summary & see the attendance for each game at the top of the page. I printed them out for other purposes, but here's what it says at the top of every home game thru Nov. 17:

Oct. 9: 20,066

Oct. 16: 19,011

Oct. 18: 20,066

Oct. 24: 20,066

Nov. 11: 20,066

Nov. 17: 18,934

edit to add:

Dec. 4: 19,116

I'd say the fans are turning out... suppose maybe some of those empty seats are corporate ticket holders that didn't have a guest to entertain that night?

Edited by Kronner55

A lot of you are missing to point. Yes the economy sucks, big time. No one is arguing that. No one is trying to say people are cutting back.

The point is the Red Wings aren't doing anything to make games more desireable to attend. The tickets deals the offer just plain suck. The giveaways are less than exciting. And I could feed a family of 9 with what I pay for 2 beers and 2 dogs at the Joe.

And for the record, Michigan is a football state. Look how long it's taken for fans to finally stop going to see the Lions. And still U of M and MSU draw big numbers every weekend. Basketball state? Not a chance.

I attend because I love watching them play the game. I don't feel any sense of entitlement (like I need to get something like the scrubs or the rings they'll be giving out next week). The cost of a ticket is the cost of the ticket. It's not just here that these prices are like this. Have a good long look at what it costs to attend a Caps game. We wanted to watch the Wings there in January & of course, they were sold out the day they went on sale. Everyone wants to see them play. I don't like the expense anymore than anyone else. I live in this state that's suffering, too.

I'd say the only thing they're required to offer up is 60 minutes a game. If that doesn't make it more desireable to attend, then nothing will short of paying people to come down to the Joe.

I go to see the Wings play, not for whatever freebies they have. Everyone I know goes to see the Wings play, not for anything else.

Do you honestly think if the Wings started giving away a car or whatever at games again it would make people who can't afford to go attend?

And non-hockey fans aren't going to attend, no matter what giveaway the Wings have.

theyve just got to let folks move down during the third period (or heck, even earlier in the game). maybe they can program in some kind of computerized raffle for unused seats. attendance in the lower bowl is embarrassing.

i am not complaining on bit about the lower bowl being left empty... for the last 4 games i have been to (dating back through the 3rd round of the playoffs) i have been able to secure cheap ass tickets and sit in row 3-5 in the lower bowl. The only game i didn't was when i was at the pens game with my dad but we had row 3 in the upper bowl so it was pretty decent.

I think if the wings want people in this state to attend they should have lowered ticket prices... not raised them.. Stanley cup or not. f*** a stanley cup victory doesn't put any more money into my pocket book now does it?!?!

for instance the pic of Kesler in my avatar is Unzoomed shot from where i was sitting at the game... row 4 next to the bench. I paid a whooping $34 for my ticket

:EDIT:

Setting in section 122 row 3 tonight... so i know two fans going to the game!

Edited by OsGOD

I go to see the Wings play, not for whatever freebies they have. Everyone I know goes to see the Wings play, not for anything else.

Do you honestly think if the Wings started giving away a car or whatever at games again it would make people who can't afford to go attend?

And non-hockey fans aren't going to attend, no matter what giveaway the Wings have.

You are missing the boat here. It's isn't about feeling any sense of 'entitlement' or going to games just because they are giving something away. It isn't about getting people who can't afford to go, to spend the money and go.

What's really the wrong line of thinking is that non-hockey fans won't go. I'm sure all the people on the forums who are new fans can attest that not everyone has been a fan their entire life. In any business you are always looking for ways to get more people as clients. Your standpoint couldn't be further from the truth, or much more negative.

Regardless, what I'm talking about is giving away something to make people who are sitting on the fence, make the decision to go. People who have gone in the past, but now are looking at ways to get the most bang for their buck. Something to make it more luring to attend. If putting a team on the playing field for a full game was enough to keep fans coming teams like the Panthers, Coyotes, or Hawks wouldn't have had the attendance woes that they have recently experienced.

You are missing the boat here. It's isn't about feeling any sense of 'entitlement' or going to games just because they are giving something away. It isn't about getting people who can't afford to go, to spend the money and go.

What's really the wrong line of thinking is that non-hockey fans won't go. I'm sure all the people on the forums who are new fans can attest that not everyone has been a fan their entire life. In any business you are always looking for ways to get more people as clients. Your standpoint couldn't be further from the truth, or much more negative.

Regardless, what I'm talking about is giving away something to make people who are sitting on the fence, make the decision to go. People who have gone in the past, but now are looking at ways to get the most bang for their buck. Something to make it more luring to attend. If putting a team on the playing field for a full game was enough to keep fans coming teams like the Panthers, Coyotes, or Hawks wouldn't have had the attendance woes that they have recently experienced.

No see say tickets are $58 you have $55 you can't get in... regardless of if they offer free flashlights with Zeta face molded on the handle....

if they want more fans to come.. lower the damn prices.

maybe if dare i say offer up coupons in the Entertainment book again for the Buy One Get One they used to do back in the 80's

I think the only promotions that should be done for the wings are Ticket promotions.

Edited by OsGOD