• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Louisville

Osgood is pissed off

Rate this topic

That blast from the neutral zone that blew by him like he wasn't even there was the game winning goal. Right? No?

It must've counted for two goals against on the scoreboard, then. Oh... it didn't?

Well then, surely the Wings lost Style Points in the standings? No?

Well then, kindly advise as to how that goal had any more impact than any other goal scored that game. Other than for aesthetic purposes, of course. Because we all know how important those goals are. Right? After all, that flip in from center ice that Marty Brodeur knocked into his own net in the Stanely Cup Finals against Anaheim in 2003 is the goal that ended up costing New Jersey the Cup that year....

Does that goal on that particular game matter matter? Of course it doesn't. But the issue is, what if that happens when it DOES matter? Are you too short sighted to remember game 6 against nashville in the first round back in the spring? Remember the goal from center ice we scored? If that goal never went in, ou could argue that series might have gone 7 games. It didn't matter then, thank god, but it might happen again when it does. That's the issue. Any smart, objective person realizes this.

Edited by Z and D for the C

So your conclusion is that Osgood can play as poorly as he has as long as we win? Does the horrible, embarrassing, inexcusable center ice goal not count because it wasn't the game winner? I'm hardly one of these people that says "Osgood sucks! get him off the team", but realistically his play has been poor and he should answer for it.

I never said that. You're attributing comments to me that I never made. As an aside, as "horible, embarrassing, inexscuable" as that center ice goal was to you, it was a hundredfold moreso to Chris Osgood. He knows he has to play better. He's stated that he's working on it. What more would you like him to do? Excoriate himself at Center Ice, in front of a National TV audience, at the next home game?

Again, he's not playing as well as he should be, and he's acknowledged that. So he HAS "answered for it", as well as he possibly can, OFF THE ICE. The only way for him to truly "answer for it", is for him to PLAY BETTER. In order for him to play better, he has to PLAY.

While you apparently are foaming at the mouth to see Oz answer to the Press for his shortcomings, I prefer that he answer to himself, to his Teammates, and to his Coach. I have every confidence that he will. But the only place he can answer is ON THE ICE. Which is all I've said, despite your best efforts to make it appear otherwise.

My point is that Osgood is NOT AT ALL playing up to par to be the starting goaltender for one of the top teams in the NHL. I'll leave this thread with the quote that summed up the last Osgood thread, from Bruce MacLeod:

"Coach Mike Babcock is obviously fed up with his team's goaltending and he should be. Three straight games giving up a goal on the first shot against ... that alone would be bad. But tonight, the fat rebounds, the lack of hugging the post, the soft outside goals. The goaltending is so bad that it makes you forget about how soft the team defense was. If either Conklin or Osgood gets hot, Babcock will ride them."

In response to your posting of the opinions and emotions that Bruce MacLeod so omnisciently attributed to Mike Babcock, after the game, I'll respond with Mike Babcock's own opinions and emotions, as espoused by MIKE BABCOCK, after the game:

Detroit News: Osgood Has Coach's Trust

"Just by his numbers, you know he knows how to win. But, to me, he's being way too hard on himself."

"I'm very confident in the goaltending of our hockey club and that this will all work itself out."

Or perhaps you'd prefer these comments, instead....

Detroit Free Press: Babcock Confident Osgood Will Get His Game Back

"During the course of the year everything works itself out, and I don't think it's going to be an issue for us."

"Ozzie cares, really cares," Babcock said. "I don't doubt that his pride is hurt a little bit right now, but that's what makes him good. There are some stages you go through, and one is you get mad at yourself, and then you buckle down and you get it looked after. He's too good to not be able to respond, and he will."

Once again.....

Relax.

Edited by Outsider

Does that goal on that particular game matter matter? Of course it doesn't. But the issue is, what if that happens when it DOES matter? Are you too short sighted to remember game 6 against nashville in the first round back in the spring? Remember the goal from center ice we scored? If that goal never went in, ou could argue that series might have gone 7 games. It didn't matter then, thank god, but it might happen again when it does. That's the issue. Any smart, objective person realizes this.

LOL....

Now you not only want to predict, project, and attribute Osgood's emotions, (He's apparently not angry enough for you....despite the thread title, and his obvious pissiness), but you ALSO want to deal in "what if" scenarios that may, or may NOT, occur in Games which are 5'ish months into the future?

Are you kidding me?

Can we afford any of the "better" goaltenders that are currently available? I think he's a bargain for what the Wings are paying him.

I'm sure there's more of a mental aspect to trying to improve a goaltender's play than simply barking at him to stop more pucks.

LOL....

Now you not only want to predict, project, and attribute Osgood's emotions, (He's apparently not angry enough for you....despite the thread title, and his obvious pissiness), but you ALSO want to deal in "what if" scenarios that may, or may NOT, occur in Games which are 5'ish months into the future?

Are you kidding me?

He is pissy at the reporters, not his play. I'm attributing his emotions on the words he uses. Is that not legit? Maybe I sohuld attribute his emotions by the alignment and color of the clouds in relation to the angles of grass.

And all I'm doing is explaining why people are upset with osgood's poor play. I'm not saying what will or will not happen. Ozzie says he is only concerned about the playoffs, well, do you really expect him to be able to play s***ty up until April 12th and play like a vezina winner a few days later? I'm not saying he won't get better, I think he will, but I'm just educating you about the root of the complaint. That's it.

I think the problem with Ozzie IS that it doesn't matter to him. It SHOULD matter to him. He should be PISSED he's not playing well, which SHOULD drive to him exceed. That's what was great about dom, aside from his talent and athleticism, he was HUGELY competitive. He was more mad than anyone when he played bad, with Ozzie it seems to be the opposite.

I have absolutely no problem with his attitude. The press is just gunna take whatever he says and twist it until they get what they want out of it.

When I'm in competition, I put my whole heart into it. I keep away from getting angry at my play though. Emotions play a major part in how you compete, so he's got to stay calm and cool. Inside he hasn't been as composed as he was last year, that's the problem (I think even Babs said this). Whether he shows it to the press or not is a different story.

On a side note... it feels like the Wings play more confidently in front of Ozzie too. They build up a lead, or they fight a see-saw battle, but they play more energized. Just something I've noticed in the games I've watched.

I never said that. You're attributing comments to me that I never made. As an aside, as "horible, embarrassing, inexscuable" as that center ice goal was to you, it was a hundredfold moreso to Chris Osgood. He knows he has to play better. He's stated that he's working on it. What more would you like him to do? Excoriate himself at Center Ice, in front of a National TV audience, at the next home game?

Again, he's not playing as well as he should be, and he's acknowledged that. So he HAS "answered for it", as well as he possibly can, OFF THE ICE. The only way for him to truly "answer for it", is for him to PLAY BETTER. In order for him to play better, he has to PLAY.

While you apparently are foaming at the mouth to see Oz answer to the Press for his shortcomings, I prefer that he answer to himself, to his Teammates, and to his Coach. I have every confidence that he will. But the only place he can answer is ON THE ICE. Which is all I've said, despite your best efforts to make it appear otherwise.

In response to your posting of the opinions and emotions that Bruce MacLeod so omnisciently attributed to Mike Babcock, after the game, I'll respond with Mike Babcock's own opinions and emotions, as espoused by MIKE BABCOCK, after the game:

Detroit News: Osgood Has Coach's Trust

"Just by his numbers, you know he knows how to win. But, to me, he's being way too hard on himself."

"I'm very confident in the goaltending of our hockey club and that this will all work itself out."

Or perhaps you'd prefer these comments, instead....

Detroit Free Press: Babcock Confident Osgood Will Get His Game Back

"During the course of the year everything works itself out, and I don't think it's going to be an issue for us."

"Ozzie cares, really cares," Babcock said. "I don't doubt that his pride is hurt a little bit right now, but that's what makes him good. There are some stages you go through, and one is you get mad at yourself, and then you buckle down and you get it looked after. He's too good to not be able to respond, and he will."

Once again.....

Relax.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Is that like the turnover Sammy is BOUND to give up at the point that turns into a shorty?

Just curious because if IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts this post would be worth something!

If I wasn't playing as good as I thought I should, and people ask me the same thing over and over again when the answers are pretty obvious to answer, I'd get a little impatient and cranky as well.

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?"

"Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?"

GO TO THE BACK SEAT AND LAY THE EFF DOWN!!!!! WE WILL GET THERE WHEN WE GET THERE!

Edited by OsGOD

Can we afford any of the "better" goaltenders that are currently available?

Any extra money that was available is all tied up in that guy they call Hossa.

Osgood just needs to pay attention a little more, get across the crease faster, and stay tight against the post on angled shots.

Of course he is pissed off. He keeps on having to answer questions about what most seem to consider poor play. If he plays better the questioning stops but until then... welcome back to Detroit! This is not new to him and he should not be surprised. Perhaps he is pissed off because he knows all the questions and speculation is warranted given how he played in the play offs last year in comparison to how weak he is playing now.

Guest nutz2u

Chris Osgood

GAA 3.17 38th of 43 :blush:

SV% .876 43rd of 43 :blush:

Those stats deserve to be questioned.

Chris Osgood

They were multiple times in multiple ways and answered multiple times in multiple ways, over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!

Chris Osgood

I agree totally.

Some people argue that he isn't paid to steal games and he is ONLY being paid $1.4 million so what we are getting is a bargain. I don't agree with that, sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. He should play his best despite how much or how little he is paid. Right now he is playing like crap, Period. Blaming the Defense for not being up to par does allow the goalie a freebie to not play well also. He should be questioned and he should be looking to doing something different to correct his deficiencies.

I agree totally.

Some people argue that he isn't paid to steal games and he is ONLY being paid $1.4 million so what we are getting is a bargain. I don't agree with that, sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. He should play his best despite how much or how little he is paid. Right now he is playing like crap, Period. Blaming the Defense for not being up to par does allow the goalie a freebie to not play well also. He should be questioned and he should be looking to doing something different to correct his deficiencies.

Just to set the record straight, I think he had a right to get upset at the repetitive questions not hat he was being questioned.

I understand if it is asked once or twice per interview, but every question they asked was about him not playing well and how he intended to fix that. He answered it, fine ask it again tomorrow and the next day, but not the next question and the 5 after that.

Just to set the record straight, I think he had a right to get upset at the repetitive questions not hat he was being questioned.

I understand if it is asked once or twice per interview, but every question they asked was about him not playing well and how he intended to fix that. He answered it, fine ask it again tomorrow and the next day, but not the next question and the 5 after that.

Granted, ask once and leave that subject alone. Especially since it's a sore spot for him.

I agree totally.

Ok, everyone on here who has pointed out that the defense has not played up to par has admitted that Osgood (and Conklin, for that matter) have not played as well as we would have liked them to. Just because Osgood hasn't played perfectly doesn't mean that the defense hasn't been stellar. The defense, for both goaltenders, has allowed to opposition many great scoring chances and failed to collect or clear rebounds that should have been simple clears, which turned into goals or difficult saves for the goaltender to make. Osgood has made many amazing saves because of chances like that which wouldn't normally have even occurred, and all people like you have been able to do is criticize him because he has allowed many goals due to the significant level of goals that have made it into the net, almost every single one of which he did not have even a remote chance on.

If the defense was playing well, Osgood would have stats that would resemble last season. Just because you don't understand that every shot isn't equal, doesn't mean that Osgood hasn't performed well much of the time with only minor lapses. Same for Conklin. Conklin actually had the better stats last night but was noticeably outplayed by McElhinney. In fact, he didn't have the better stats until the end of the game when Lidstrom scored the winner.

Dunno what to think of that interview. Ozzie's even-keeled from what I've seen and he sounded genuinely pissed, so that's a little cause for concern for him to come off that irritable. It's to his credit that he hasn't lost his game Tommy Salo-style with all the high profile mistakes he's made over the years. Maybe the media got to him. For sure, he's getting it from Babcock and now Conklin is starting again tonight. Babcock avoids starting goalies twice in a row. Three in a row for Conklin looks like serious cage-rattling is going on.

Edited by Bliz