• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NEpats1028

Goalie Issues...

Rate this topic

Im actually shocked that even though Osgood didn't play, he's not the reason they lost. He has been blamed almost every game they lose. So why not this one? even though he didnt play, maybe he just didnt cheer at Conk enough?

I'm actually thinking about making bracelets "WWCD" What Would Conklin Do. This way when the wings are playing hockey they can look at there lil bracelet and always do the right thing.

Conklin and Osgood are a good pair. I'm glad they played Conk tonight. Goes to show you Osgood may have been on some what of a cold streak, but since Conk's didnt do so well, maybe half these forums eyes have been opened up to the defense sleeping just a tad. I didnt get to watch much besides highlights, so your right, I dont know exactly what all went on.

Im actually shocked that even though Osgood didn't play, he's not the reason they lost. He has been blamed almost every game they lose. So why not this one? even though he didnt play, maybe he just didnt cheer at Conk enough?

I'm actually thinking about making bracelets "WWCD" What Would Conklin Do. This way when the wings are playing hockey they can look at there lil bracelet and always do the right thing.

Conklin and Osgood are a good pair. I'm glad they played Conk tonight. Goes to show you Osgood may have been on some what of a cold streak, but since Conk's didnt do so well, maybe half these forums eyes have been opened up to the defense sleeping just a tad. I didnt get to watch much besides highlights, so your right, I dont know exactly what all went on.

Hey- you only get to play the Osgood martyr when he steals a game in front of a lazy defense! (you should have posted that reply about 15 times last season!) :D

Hey- you only get to play the Osgood martyr when he steals a game in front of a lazy defense! (you should have posted that reply about 15 times last season!) :D

Oh heck! my bad man.

I heard after the game though, when Conklin came to the locker room, Osgood was standing there with a puck in his hand. Conklin said, "tough game", while taking off his goalie mask. Osgood drew back and threw the puck directly at Conklin's face! Conklin replied, "WTF man!" Osgood said, "Holy crap, you actually blocked one!"

Oh heck! my bad man.

I heard after the game though, when Conklin came to the locker room, Osgood was standing there with a puck in his hand. Conklin said, "tough game", while taking off his goalie mask. Osgood drew back and threw the puck directly at Conklin's face! Conklin replied, "WTF man!" Osgood said, "Holy crap, you actually blocked one!"

Well I heard that... um... Osgood tried to kill himself after the SJ game.

He jumped in front of the bus! Luckily the bus went right between his legs.

:blush: A cabbie told me that joke the other night on the way home from the bar, except it was about a certain Leafs goalie. :P

how can you people not be somewhat concerned with 12 goals in 2 games against key WC teams...maybe i was wrong in addressing the goalies, but something has to be done. it doesnt get any easier after the all-star break (@ CBJ, DAL, @ WSH) Now's the time to see what this team is made of and if they really WANT to win 2 straight cups.

Because quite frankly, I don't feel comfortable being a 4th seed or even a 3rd seed should the team start to falter. The PK on the road is sickening and if Ozzie's GAA doesn't drop, i'd say start Conks from March onward.

how can you people not be somewhat concerned with 12 goals in 2 games against key WC teams...maybe i was wrong in addressing the goalies, but something has to be done. it doesnt get any easier after the all-star break (@ CBJ, DAL, @ WSH) Now's the time to see what this team is made of and if they really WANT to win 2 straight cups.

Because quite frankly, I don't feel comfortable being a 4th seed or even a 3rd seed should the team start to falter. The PK on the road is sickening and if Ozzie's GAA doesn't drop, i'd say start Conks from March onward.

Oh man, I so would be freaking out if we were talking about the first two games in the playoffs.

Am I happy? No. Have I seen crappy, crappy, CRAPPY back-to-back games played by the Wings before? Yeah- I've seen them play this badly for 11 games right before winning a Cup.

This is all par for the course in an 82 game season. I'd love to see 82 games of perfection mixed with decent play. Hell, I'd love if at this point the Wings had had the kind of season the Sharks are having so far.

But in the end all I give a s*** about is where we stand in mid-June.

I wouldn't overreact to any of these road trip games. Especially going into the All-Star break. This team will be ready for the playoffs. As is. Osgood will start (only won the Cup last year) and all will be well.

Edited by Broken 16

Why the hell does everyone talk about Backstrom?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are only a handful of reliable, excellent year-in, year-out goalies in the league: Brodeur, Luongo, and Kiprussoff. Others are streaky, good, etc, but always flame out relatively early.

Whether or not we need a change in goal is irrelevant. There is simply nobody better to replace them with. Therefore, the focus has to be on defense. Someone has to be held accountable. Stuart rejuvinated the Wings when he arrived, and I'm sure another deadline defensive acquisition to replace Lebda, or hell, even Lilja (even though he's having a great year overall) would do wonders right now if the new player could sync up well with someone like Stuart and Kronner did last year.

Kiprusoff's name should not be mentioned there next to Brodeur and Luongo, and Luongo shouldn't be mentioned next to Brodeur. Backstrom has been more consistently great in his career than Kiprusoff; the difference is that Kiprusoff had an amazing season that was considered Vezina-worthy while Backstrom, like Lundqvist, has been merely a contender for several years in a row since entering the league. Nabokov is another example of a goalkeeper who has been greatly inconsistent; he was a first-team All-Star last season because he played nearly every game, but his save percentage and GAA were not good enough to justify Vezina nomination or first team selection, most certainly not ahead of Brodeur whose numbers were far superior with comparable games played and games won.

Eva are you serious about Backstrom???

I will agree about Kipper though, however, he had more than 1 good year, he had two really good years where he was definitely in the class of Luongo and Brodeur. Those two are definitely the cream of the crop.

With all due respect:

Firstly, you don't get to be "in the class of Brodeur" by having two "really good years". Brodeur is in Brodeur's class because he's had fifteen "really good years". And three Stanley Cup rings. And an Olympic Gold Medal. And four Vezina's.

Secondly, I'd like to see Luongo win something, anything.....at all, (Hello?....Bueller?.....Bueller?), before he's placed in Brodeur's "class".

Eva are you serious about Backstrom???

I will agree about Kipper though, however, he had more than 1 good year, he had two really good years where he was definitely in the class of Luongo and Brodeur. Those two are definitely the cream of the crop.

Backstrom is not in Brodeur's class, but he is my current pick for the Vezina for this season, slightly edging out Boston's Tim Thomas. The fact that Thomas has played in a tandem all season with Manny Fernandez and Fernandez has posted comparable stats over a similar number of games diminishes Thomas' Vezina chances. Especially when Backstrom has played almost every game for his club and is among the league leaders in everything; Brodeur-esque numbers. He was among the leaders in everything last year too. And in his rookie season he led the league in GAA and Sv%, and was among the league leaders in shutouts, while winning 23 of his 41 starts to rank 26th.

Backstrom has been an elite goaltender his entire career, and if he continues his stellar play to the end of this season he should win the Vezina. He did begin his NHL career at a late age; He turned 28 in his rookie year, but he still has quite a bit of talent and is only 30 so he could have many years left.

I would rather have Backstrom than Kiprusoff, easily. Kipper has a Vezina, but is much less consistent than Backstrom and more expensive.

With all due respect:

Firstly, you don't get to be "in the class of Brodeur" by having two "really good years". Brodeur is in Brodeur's class because he's had fifteen "really good years". And three Stanley Cup rings. And an Olympic Gold Medal. And four Vezina's.

Secondly, I'd like to see Luongo win something, anything.....at all, (Hello?....Bueller?.....Bueller?), before he's placed in Brodeur's "class".

I'm not saying that either are remotely close to Brodeur career wise, however, the last two years Luongo certainly has and the couple years before that so was Kipper. Luongo has also had the luxury on being on the Panthers to start his career where he would typically be facing more than 40 shots every game. You are right, no one is in Brodeur's class in their career, I was comparing them year by year.

Backstrom is not in Brodeur's class, but he is my current pick for the Vezina for this season, slightly edging out Boston's Tim Thomas. The fact that Thomas has played in a tandem all season with Manny Fernandez and Fernandez has posted comparable stats over a similar number of games diminishes Thomas' Vezina chances. Especially when Backstrom has played almost every game for his club and is among the league leaders in everything; Brodeur-esque numbers. He was among the leaders in everything last year too. And in his rookie season he led the league in GAA and Sv%, and was among the league leaders in shutouts, while winning 23 of his 41 starts to rank 26th.

Backstrom has been an elite goaltender his entire career, and if he continues his stellar play to the end of this season he should win the Vezina. He did begin his NHL career at a late age; He turned 28 in his rookie year, but he still has quite a bit of talent and is only 30 so he could have many years left.

I would rather have Backstrom than Kiprusoff, easily. Kipper has a Vezina, but is much less consistent than Backstrom and more expensive.

OK, I guess it's semantics then but I mean you're really putting on a thin veil by saying that Backstrom has been elite in his career this early, especially when you can say that Kiprusoff has had as many good years as Backstrom.

I'm not saying that either are remotely close to Brodeur career wise, however, the last two years Luongo certainly has and the couple years before that so was Kipper. Luongo has also had the luxury on being on the Panthers to start his career where he would typically be facing more than 40 shots every game. You are right, no one is in Brodeur's class in their career, I was comparing them year by year.

OK, I guess it's semantics then but I mean you're really putting on a thin veil by saying that Backstrom has been elite in his career this early, especially when you can say that Kiprusoff has had as many good years as Backstrom.

Kiprusoff has been getting worse year by year since he started in Calgary, and he was following the same pattern in San Jose. He has had basically two and a half years as a very good goaltender; starting when he was traded to Calgary and ending at the end of the 2006-07 season. He was mediocre last season and has continued to be so this year.

A better way of putting it: Backstrom has never had a bad season while Kiprusoff has had a couple, and Kiprusoff is older and more expensive.

This team is making the playoffs.

Talk to me in April or May if there are any goaltending issues then. Same with the defense as the defense was bad last night and the goalies shouldn't be ultimately blamed. Defense is also responsible. You lose as a team, not just one person.

In an 82 game season, you are going to have clunkers of games every now and then when either your defense or goaltending is shaky every now and then. It is unavoidable.

The Red Wings are good enough in an 82 game season to overcome clunker games every now and then and sometimes even win those clunker games, even though it didn't happen last night, and make the playoffs with little or no worry.

This is likely the case again this year.

I'm fine with our goaltenders and defense if they can play as consistent/full 60 minute game as possible. We've seen it happen this year a good bit of times. However, to expect it every night is unrealistic.

Playoffs are where it matters most though.

Kiprusoff has been getting worse year by year since he started in Calgary, and he was following the same pattern in San Jose. He has had basically two and a half years as a very good goaltender; starting when he was traded to Calgary and ending at the end of the 2006-07 season. He was mediocre last season and has continued to be so this year.

A better way of putting it: Backstrom has never had a bad season while Kiprusoff has had a couple, and Kiprusoff is older and more expensive.

I realize what you're saying but Backstrom has only been in the league that long, don't you think it's a tad bit premature to be saying that about Backstrom?

Please refer to Jim Carrey mid 1990's

Goaltending is the most unstable position in the league. Every year there is some new hotshot who's destined to become the greatest, only to disappear a season or two later:

Theodore?

Leclaire?

Nabokov?

Emery?

Khabibulin?

Miller?

Huet?

The list goes on and on.

Goaltending is the most unstable position in the league. Every year there is some new hotshot who's destined to become the greatest, only to disappear a season or two later:

Theodore?

Leclaire?

Nabokov?

Emery?

Khabibulin?

Miller?

Huet?

The list goes on and on.

Agreed, I have also noticed the amount of backups that are able to fill in quite nicely if needed. Fernandez, Clemmenson, Sanford, Conklin, Mason, Halak.

Goaltenders have become so good now that every off night is magnified tenfold (please view hundreds of LGW threads about every goalie we have had in the past 10 years)

Theodore?

Leclaire?

Nabokov?

Emery?

Khabibulin?

Miller?

Huet?

The list goes on and on.

Most of those guys are outplaying Kiprusoff this season by a large margin, btw. Notice that Kipper's numbers would make him the #3 in Chicago?

Most of those guys are outplaying Kiprusoff this season by a large margin, btw. Notice that Kipper's numbers would make him the #3 in Chicago?

Not a Kipper fan? I see the numbers, but I would still take Kipper over Huet or Khabibulin, or just about anyone else on that list. Every goaltender statistic is impacted, for better or worse, by the team in front of them, the numbers can't tell the whole story.

Don't expect the Wings to pick up a goalie this season. No contending team is going to trade their goalie and there aren't any teams not contending that have a decent goalie. They'll ride it out with what they have. Osgood will start the playoffs. If he can't perform, I'm sure Conklin will step in.

Here's what I think will happen going into next year. If Osgood does well in the playoffs, he will be back next year with Howard as the back up. If he doesn't perform, I think there's a good chance the Wings will dump him and go get someone like Backstrom and bring up Howard. For all the Larsson lovers out there, the reason why I think Howard will be the back up is because he is no longer waiver exempt after this season. And it gives Larsson more time to develop while we get to see if Howard pans out.

But as for now, Osgood and Conklin will the goalies for the rest of the year.

Don't expect the Wings to pick up a goalie this season. No contending team is going to trade their goalie and there aren't any teams not contending that have a decent goalie. They'll ride it out with what they have. Osgood will start the playoffs. If he can't perform, I'm sure Conklin will step in.

Here's what I think will happen going into next year. If Osgood does well in the playoffs, he will be back next year with Howard as the back up. If he doesn't perform, I think there's a good chance the Wings will dump him and go get someone like Backstrom and bring up Howard. For all the Larsson lovers out there, the reason why I think Howard will be the back up is because he is no longer waiver exempt after this season. And it gives Larsson more time to develop while we get to see if Howard pans out.

But as for now, Osgood and Conklin will the goalies for the rest of the year.

Unless he can be traded, the Wings can not just 'dump' Osgood. Like Draper, he signed a multi-year contract after the age of 35 so whether he retires, gets sent to the minors or even dies, the Wings are still on the hook for his salary cap.