• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake_Marcus

Lidstrom & Datsyuk suspended for skipping ASG

Rate this topic

Good for Kenny to stand up for his guys, but whats with the thread title? There is no exemption by Crosby - he made the trip to Montreal and will be taking part in all off ice activities, thus preventing the one game suspension.

Didn't you hear? Crosby is enemy #1 on these boards just because the media likes to cover him and not lids/dats bettman likes him better... haha ^^ I like how people think this rule was placed by bettman just today... all the gms where warned about this at the beginning of the year but people like to ignore that fact. ^^ And did they miss the game before the all star game?? NO so if they dont attend they have to miss the game after it.. it is a very simple concept but people have a hard time grasping it

Edited by Duck Guy

Didn't you hear? Crosby is enemy #1 on these boards just because the media likes to cover him and not lids/dats bettman likes him better... haha ^^ I like how people think this rule was placed by bettman just today... all the gms where warned about this at the beginning of the year but people like to ignore that fact. ^^ And did they miss the game before the all star game?? NO so if they dont attend they have to miss the game after it.. it is a very simple concept but people have a hard time grasping it

No people grasp it, we just think it's a crock of s*** and don't get the different enforcement for different players. Plus, Datsyuk missed part of a game already.

No people grasp it, we just think it's a crock of s*** and don't get the different enforcement for different players. Plus, Datsyuk missed part of a game already.

that's the key word...

And i forgot to mention Bettman added that part about just showing up for off ice stuffs to give them a chance to not get suspended thats how i took it

Edited by Duck Guy

So basically, Duck Guy, you're saying that you think these two should show up no matter what??? That even if they were on a pain med that the doctor would not let them travel on, they should defy their doctor's orders and show up, just to sit and get grilled by the media??? I think not. I don't see why they should give up their time off just to kiss the asses of some newspaper writers who hate the Wings to begin with. You would give up your vacation just to show up for some lame-ass question and answer session with a bunch of writers who could care less about you ??? Sorry, but not me. If the boys are in some undisclosed location recuperating, even if it's at home, I'd be damned if I'd tell them to go to Montreal and kiss media ass.

The best revenge to this joke is for the Wings to win the Cup again...in Detroit. Make Buttman give the trophy to Nick, and also for Pasha to win the Smythe. Wouldn't that piss him off??? And to do it in Detroit, so we can all tell him what we think of him.

As for your team, I'm sure your little puppets will dance very nicely when their strings are pulled.

Edited by Kira

So basically, you're saying that you think these two should show up no matter what??? That even if they were on a pain med that the doctor would not let them travel on, they should defy their doctor's orders and show up, just to sit and get grilled by the media??? I think not. I don't see why they should give up their time off just to kiss the asses of some newspaper writers who hates the Wings to begin with. You would give up your vacation just to show up for some lame-ass question and answer session with a bunch of writers who could care less about you anyway??? Sorry, but not me. If the boys are in some undisclosed location recuperating, even if it's at home, I'd be damned if I'd tell them to go to Montreal and kiss media ass.

I have to admit when I first posted in the other thread and said they should go blah blah blah I did not relize their injuries where 2 bad to just do the off ice stuff that was stupid of me to assume without any info but I mean if the pain is THAT bad sure dont go but you still have to abide by the rules that where set in place by Gary. And Kenny knew of these rules so I dont see what the problem is if you are injured and cant make it either miss the game before it or the game after it.... and since they already played the game before it.... <_<

The rule is a load of bulls*** that apparently in Crosby's case is open to interpretation. The issue isn't that Bettman is suspending players who simply bowed out, its that the league is making an example of probably the two classiest players in its league for being legitimately injured and needing rest. Like it or not, there is a huge bias towards Crosby who is a Canadian poster boy with no wife and kids over two European veterans with legit injuries and with families of their own, not in the injury portion of the interpreted rule, but in the "Crosby showed up, why can't Lidstrom and Datsyuk" school of thought. With Lidstrom and Datsyuk, they have legit injuries, and being soft-spoken low-profilers that the media doesn't care about, their presence in the media circus is pointless and just serves to take them away from the rest and recuperation they need and the families they miss.

Everyone needs to open their eyes and read past the bulls***: this is about Gary Bettman's ego and his inability to believe that his event is a laughing stock. His suspension of two talented and entertaining players from a regulation game that actually matters for the sake of policing a game that doesn't is transparent and counterproductive. If it was about punishing players for being "selfish" the punishment would be monetary, not taking said players away from their team and depriving their fans of the show they paid good money to see.

I am usually pretty cordial and try not to step on many toes, but anyone who sees this as anything other than a pathetic commissioner satisfying his own Napoleon complex is complete and utter moron.

i gota say i think duck guy is a great poster here but he's flat out wrong and out of line w/ his posts in this thread.

Out of line? I am sorry if I am coming across that way but I mean look at half the posts against what bettman is doing in the other thread I fail to see where I am out of line maybe when I said some people cant grasp the simple concept (SORRY IF THAT OFFENDED ANYONE) but thats all i can think of. And I dont have the right to be wrong? Maybe I am wrong maybe bettman does like crosby so much that he making a exception I am just telling you how I see it thats all.. I am not here to make enemys just because of this topic. I will never think less of anyone just based on what they think I mean sure some times things a bit more heated then it needs to be but i still like you all :)

Excuse the no periods haha

Edited by Duck Guy

Out of line? I am sorry if I am coming across that way but I mean look at half the posts against what bettman is doing in the other thread I fail to see where I am out of line maybe when I said some people cant grasp the simple concept (SORRY IF THAT OFFENDED ANYONE) but thats all i can think of. And I dont have the right to be wrong? Maybe I am wrong maybe bettman does like crosby so much that he making a exception I am just telling you how I see it thats all.. I am not here to make enemys just because of this topic. I will never think less of anyone just based on what they think I mean sure some times things a bit more heated then it needs to be but i still like you all :)

It's alright Duck guy, I get you. But, it still does not diminish the fact that Bettman loves Crosby. That's not even up for debate. I think Wings fan have had enough of Bettman and this, even though he may not be wrong, is the last straw. First was the octopus fan inciting thing during the playoffs. Secondly, the Crosby marketing is getting really old really fast. Only the NHL would put a commercial showing highlights of the LOSING team in the SCF on tv. Also, when handing out the Stanley Cup, Bettman looked so demoralized that we won. He presented it and got off the ice so fast, it was pretty funny.

Good on Holland for standing up to that joke, Buttman.

I like the comment about carrying the flag for the league. Good point, and very significant when you realize how important the Wings are to the league, and how Bettman has slighted us...(even before this), and even a little bit of pride thrown in, when you realize that if the league folded....the Wings would live on in whatever future post-NHL there could be. F*** the league, Detroit fans didn't give much of a damn about the league before, and they sure as hell don't after this garbage.

Have fun with almost no viewers in one of your largest oh-so-precious US markets, dumbass. Plus, I think we have the most out-of-market fans (in the US) as well?

Duck Guy i always like your posts even though I don't post much on here lately, and this is just your opinion.

Here is my problem with it. I'm sure Kenny knew on Tuesday after the game about the possibility of Dats and Lids being suspended. They asked Kenny for the week off to rest their injuries and he said yes. Where they went after that, none of us know. Maybe Lids is in Sweden, or maybe they are in the Bahamas, who cares. The fact is, THREE days later Sidney Crosby gets on the phone with Bettman and all of a sudden Bettman makes an exception and says that if you go do the media and events at the ASG you are exempt from this NEW rule that has never been enforced. In this article Kenny says himself that he doesn't even know where Lids and Dats are as he gave them the week off. So basically Kenny already knew that the two might get suspended a game, and I'm SURE that the both of them knew as well, but because Cindy has no wife and kids, and crawls further up Buttman's ass on the phone Friday, he is able to hop on a plane and head to Montreal, WHERE he now further criticizes the two most respected players in the league! Lids and Dats might be on a beach somewhere with their phones off, obviously Kenny has not called them. THAT is the problem everyone has with Sidney Crosby.

I have to admit when I first posted in the other thread and said they should go blah blah blah I did not relize their injuries where 2 bad to just do the off ice stuff that was stupid of me to assume without any info but I mean if the pain is THAT bad sure dont go but you still have to abide by the rules that where set in place by Gary. And Kenny knew of these rules so I dont see what the problem is if you are injured and cant make it either miss the game before it or the game after it.... and since they already played the game before it.... <_<

They last played on Tuesday. Their next game is on Tuesday. I can think of a ton of injuries that can heal in a week if you rest it. Datsyuk demonstrated that he has a legit injury by missing most of the 3rd period against the Yotes. If Lidstrom says he's injured and can't make the ASG, the league should believe him. I get what the commish is trying to do, but he's just plain wrong in the way he's going about it.

Good for Kenny for manning up and standing up to Buttman. I don't know I've ever heard him this angry, and lets face it, he had to put up with a lot of crap from the league over the years <_<

Something tells me that you wouldn't be towing Bettman's line if it were Getzlaf and Pronger that were being needlessly suspended.

Guest Shoreline

I don't care if Gary Bitchman made up the rules for this. If players cannot go to an exhibition game/event, there should be no problem. However, it being what it is, Lids and Dats will be punished, but I'm just shaking my head about why the ASG has to be more important than recouping or taking some time off for christ's sake. And because this exhibition means more to Gary than the health of our team's players, I have no choice but to f*** off the ASG. I guess I get the weekend off too. Hope Gary doesn't punish me as well.

Edited by Shoreline

This is just dumb. Way to go commish...

At the same time, I kind of like the suspension in a way... Maybe with Lidstrom and Datsyuk getting the extra rest, it will let them heal a little better. An extra forced day off to recouperate can only help. It's one less game to add strain to the injuries, and 2 (I think?) days extra to heal. I'm looking at this as a positive. Hey, what if the extra time off makes them kick up their play a notch, and the Wings repeat as champions? What a better way of getting back at Bettman? Actually, I'm really glad they aren't attending. The rest is more important than the asg.

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Duck Guy. I like you. Really. Let's see if I can make you see why I feel the way I do.

Lids and Dats talked to Kenny on Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm sure Pavel talked to him on Tuesday after the game in which he was injured. I don't know if Lids talked to him before the game or if he had the MRI the next day.)

Either way, the rule was that if they couldn't play, they would have to miss a game before or after. They knew that and decided that since they were injured and couldn't play, that they needn't go. They were going to receive the suspension anyway because they couldn't play.

They may not have known for sure if Bettman would enforce it, since it was a new rule, and not even set in stone- more of an agreement than a rule, not that there's much difference, although an agreement would allow for circumstantial evidence, such as MRI's or having sat out part of the game. We don't know if Bettman would have allowed it or not, and it is now a moot point. Let's just assume they knew that they could be suspended for a game.

So they are told by their GM to go ahead and relax and recouperate. They do that. Then on Friday, 2-3 days later, Crosby and Bettman chat on the phone, and Bettman tells Sydney that he can avoid the suspension if he just goes and does the media thing. This option had not been given to Lids and Dats at the time they pulled out of the game. It was play or get suspended; not show up or get suspended.

Crosby hops on a plane, the other guys don't. They were given that out only at the last minute, after Crosby got the loophole.

Imagine you have the stomach flu and can't make it to work. You and another co-worker miss 2 days of work, and have your pay docked, as per company policy. Then a couple of days later another employee misses 2 days, but the boss says that he can just come in on the weekend. If you had known of that option, you might have used it. But that option wasn't there at the time you put in your notice.

Now do you see why we're upset? We've been discussing how there are no Wings represented at the ASG for days now, but only at the end does Bettman come up with the loophole; not when Lids and Dats let the league know they wouldn't be able to play, which was the original stipulation.

Then he calls up Kenny and makes it sound like Lids and Dats have broken the rule by not attending the media functions to avoid the suspension, which was only put into effect that day. Originally, the players had to play.

That's the main gripe. I don't expect you to agree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but do you at least see where I'm coming from?

Duck Guy. I like you. Really. Let's see if I can make you see why I feel the way I do.

Lids and Dats talked to Kenny on Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm sure Pavel talked to him on Tuesday after the game in which he was injured. I don't know if Lids talked to him before the game or if he had the MRI the next day.)

Either way, the rule was that if they couldn't play, they would have to miss a game before or after. They knew that and decided that since they were injured and couldn't play, that they needn't go. They were going to receive the suspension anyway because they couldn't play.

They may not have known for sure if Bettman would enforce it, since it was a new rule, and not even set in stone- more of an agreement than a rule, not that there's much difference, although an agreement would allow for circumstantial evidence, such as MRI's or having sat out part of the game. We don't know if Bettman would have allowed it or not, and it is now a moot point. Let's just assume they knew that they could be suspended for a game.

So they are told by their GM to go ahead and relax and recouperate. They do that. Then on Friday, 2-3 days later, Crosby and Bettman chat on the phone, and Bettman tells Sydney that he can avoid the suspension if he just goes and does the media thing. This option had not been given to Lids and Dats at the time they pulled out of the game. It was play or get suspended; not show up or get suspended.

Crosby hops on a plane, the other guys don't. They were given that out only at the last minute, after Crosby got the loophole.

Imagine you have the stomach flu and can't make it to work. You and another co-worker miss 2 days of work, and have your pay docked, as per company policy. Then a couple of days later another employee misses 2 days, but the boss says that he can just come in on the weekend. If you had known of that option, you might have used it. But that option wasn't there at the time you put in your notice.

Now do you see why we're upset? We've been discussing how there are no Wings represented at the ASG for days now, but only at the end does Bettman come up with the loophole; not when Lids and Dats let the league know they wouldn't be able to play, which was the original stipulation.

Then he calls up Kenny and makes it sound like Lids and Dats have broken the rule by not attending the media functions to avoid the suspension, which was only put into effect that day. Originally, the players had to play.

That's the main gripe. I don't expect you to agree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but do you at least see where I'm coming from?

EXACTLY :!:

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Yes, and you could take the example a step further ... when you return to work there's a big sign above the time clock announcing that you and your co-worker have been docked pay for choosing not not to make up the time on the weekend, and thanking the other employee for his weekend work.

Yes, and you could take the example a step further ... when you return to work there's a big sign above the time clock announcing that you and your co-worker have been docked pay for choosing not not to make up the time on the weekend, and thanking the other employee for his weekend work.

True. And then the other employee tells everyone that whilst the intern was doing your job, you should have been there with your barf bucket in case advertisers came along so they could see how great your company is. Ok, maybe that one's pushing the analogy :hehe:

BTW, I liked your explanation in the other thread. Much better than my full-length novel.

Edited by 55fan

This is just dumb. Way to go commish...

At the same time, I kind of like the suspension in a way... Maybe with Lidstrom and Datsyuk getting the extra rest, it will let them heal a little better. An extra forced day off to recouperate can only help. It's one less game to add strain to the injuries, and 2 (I think?) days extra to heal. I'm looking at this as a positive. Hey, what if the extra time off makes them kick up their play a notch, and the Wings repeat as champions? What a better way of getting back at Bettman? Actually, I'm really glad they aren't attending. The rest is more important than the asg.

this.

I'll take the one game and a healthy Lids and Dats down the streach. Bettmans cares about $, not the players health. Lickily Kenny does.