• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake_Marcus

Lidstrom & Datsyuk suspended for skipping ASG

Rate this topic

Are you implying that these guys can't hop onto a plane at a moments notice, whenever they want? C'mon. God forbid Nick has to cancel his trip to Chuck E. Cheese with his kids at the last minute. Poor guy.

And just who peed in your Cheerios? Grouch. :thumbdown:

Listen, I don't care if they stayed home and soaked in their hot tub, or if they are lying in the sun in Bumf***, Egypt...they have the right to spend time recovering from whatever aches and pains they have, not kissing the collective asses of the media before, during, or after a meaningless game. Get over it.

I know it's Sidney Crosby we're talking about here and he's the devil and the worst thing to ever happen to the game of hockey, but I'm still not following how it's an exception.

He was planning on only going Saturday night for the Young Stars Game and Skills competition. Then he was informed by Bettman of the rule, so he changed his plans and is attending the whole weekend. The only thing to really make fun of here is that is sounds like Bettman called Crosby personally to inform him of the rule change and did not with Lids or Datsyuk, which honestly if I were them I would prefer he don't call me. But Bettman or someone from the league obviously informed Holland. Not to mention as GM Holland should be aware of this rule since it was voted on a year ago.

But that's not an exception. That's just Crosby being the NHL poster boy. He changed his plans and is going for the full weekend, which is exactly what the league asked of Dats and Lidstrom.

I think it's also interesting that Crosby, and I'm guessing Lidstrom and Datsyuk, weren't really aware of this rule change. The GM's agreed to it a year ago, but didn't give their players a heads up? Or I guess they didn't think it would actually be enforced. According to Hockey News, most players were unaware the rule even existed.

It's nice of Holland to stick up for his players this year. I hope he wasn't one of the GM's to agree to it last year.

All in all this was handled extremely poorly by Bettman (shocking, I know). But there's no Crosby exception here. If Lidstrom and Datsyuk showed up too, they'd be playing on Tuesday. It was theirs and Holland's choice.

To me the difference here is Crosby is a 22 year old that lives in Mario Lemieux's basement...so he changed his plans.

Lidstrom and Datsyuk want to spend time with their wives and thier children....

Excellent comments by Holland. I hope the Wings refuse to start the 2009-10 season in Europe because of this.
i hope none of them do is starting to ruin this leauge going over seas sound so stupid i bet most of the player will hate going over seas they just need to start the season at home

The rule, as I understand it, that was decided upon at the GM meeting last year stated that any player who does not PLAY due to injury has to sit a game. Now it seems that you can avoid sitting the game out if you SHOW UP for the off-ice stuff, and by all accounts this revision stems from Bettman's conversation with Crosby. Call it a revision, call it an exception, call it whatever you want, but the main gripe is that it was created so late.

I'd have to see a link to believe that about the rule. But even if it's true, how is that an exception for Crosby? It helps Dats and Lidstrom out too because they would not have to play the game, yet could still attend the event and be eligible to play their next game.

This rule was agreed upon last February. When Lidstrom and Datsyuk decided not to go, that should have put up a red flag to someone in Wings management, and they should have looked into the implications of their players not attending.

It's unfortunate, but I don't see an exception here.

Actually, in this case the price for fame and money was to sit out a single game as a scratch...

As for whether he earned it or not, I guess that's a matter of opinion I'll have to disagree with you about. He gets paid to be a hockey player. Maybe he would have been there had he known as far in advance as Crosby, but it also seems that Holland didn't want to call him at home to tell him he could play in that Columbus game if he simply attended. He likely did not know this was an option anyways.

You seem really upset that he didn't attend. Just curious. Did you have tickets to this event?

what is the timeline here? How Crosby notified in advance? Even if Bettman had called Crosby earlier and not the Wing's players, as soon as he changed plans as the NHL poster boy (which you guys constantly ***** about) it was all over the media. Not exactly a secret.

Again, injured players have never been expected to attend in years past if they weren't playing, and that expectation was not made clear this year either, at least until yesterday. It's fine if you think they should be there, I won't argue with that, but given the circumstances of the whole thing which have been pretty clearly laid out for you I think it's pretty easy to understand why they aren't there, and why people are upset over this.

As I've said, the rule was made in February. That's Holland and the Red Wings' managements responsibility to have their players informed about it. Not Bettmans.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bettman's a dick and once again went about this in an obnoxious way. But that's how the rule is. If Lidstrom and Datsyuk really didn't know about it, that's Holland's fault. Maybe they just decided to roll the dice thinking the NHL wouldn't enforce it.

Personally I'd rather they take the game off, and make Bettman look like a douchebag by cracking down on two of the league's (i hate this word but can't think of a better one) "classiest" players. It's a win-win.

To me the difference here is Crosby is a 22 year old that lives in Mario Lemieux's basement...so he changed his plans.

Lidstrom and Datsyuk want to spend time with their wives and thier children....

I totally agree. That's a difference. It's a helluva lot easier to change your plans at the last minute when you're single and in your early 20s. But that's not an exception made by Bettman.

The rule puts Datsyuk and Lidstrom in a difficult place, but Holland bears some of the blame for this by either not informing his players about the rule, not looking into it more, or maybe just guessing that the league wouldn't back it up.

I'd have to see a link to believe that about the rule. But even if it's true, how is that an exception for Crosby? It helps Dats and Lidstrom out too because they would not have to play the game, yet could still attend the event and be eligible to play their next game.

This rule was agreed upon last February. When Lidstrom and Datsyuk decided not to go, that should have put up a red flag to someone in Wings management, and they should have looked into the implications of their players not attending.

It's unfortunate, but I don't see an exception here.

As I've said, the rule was made in February. That's Holland and the Red Wings' managements responsibility to have their players informed about it. Not Bettmans.

It's not really an exception just for Crosby, it just happens to stem from their conversation, which certainly provides fodder for the conspiracy theorists. Yes, it would benefit Nick and Pavel too, had they known about it sooner. From everything Holland has said it is clear that they knew about the original rule and that Lidstrom and Datsyuk would have to sit out. What everyone, including Holland, is upset about is the change in the rule, which came too late to benefit our 2 guys, and the example the league seems to be making of them even though the rule changed so late.

This is ridiculous. Get off your f***in asses and go represent the league that that fills your bank account with millions of dollars every year. Are we honestly supposed to feel sorry for Lidstrom and Datsyuk because they have minor injuries? These guys live like kings and have opportunities with their families that most of us can only dream of and we're supposed to feel sorry for poor Nick because he wants to see his kids and his elbow hurts? Un-f***in-believable.

Seriously... this s*** sickens me. All they have to do is go represent for ONE f***IN DAY!!! They don't even have to play. I find it laughable and embarassing to our team.

Queue the Red Wing slappies to tell me what an ******* I am...

Listen here newbie. So what team are you trolling for? Are you a Ducks fan? Pens fan? Sharks fan? Admit it, we won't beat you THAT bad.

I totally agree. That's a difference. It's a helluva lot easier to change your plans at the last minute when you're single and in your early 20s. But that's not an exception made by Bettman.

The rule puts Datsyuk and Lidstrom in a difficult place, but Holland bears some of the blame for this by either not informing his players about the rule, not looking into it more, or maybe just guessing that the league wouldn't back it up.

Here's the thing though....Holland said in his interview that he will not call them. Holland found out about this "loophole" on Friday, which is obvious by his remarks in his interview. Sidney Crosby also talked to Bettman on Friday, at which time he was able to turn off his big screen, pack a bag, call his mom, and hop on a plane knowing he won't be suspended now. Lids and Dats probably knew they were going to have the game suspension, and still decided to take the week off to rest. The whole point is Holland refused to call Lids and Dats yesterday to tell them that there is now an "exception" to this new rule, and they COULD get out of their game suspension if they hopped on a plane right now and headed for Montreal. How was Holland to know that this exception would be made THREE days after telling Dats and Lids they could have the week off? The worst part is Crosby is now in Montreal criticizing Dats and Lids for not being there. I had respect for Crosby before as a hockey player and being such a young captain, but his age and lack of experience and guidance SURE shows here.

He hasn't "earned" any such thing. He's an all-star. He gets paid to be an all-star. So go be an all-star for ONE day and do what you have to do... even if its just go make a couple of appearances. Thats the price of fame and money sometimes.

He does, he plays hockey for the Wings at an All-Star level everytime he steps on the ice.

And just who peed in your Cheerios? Grouch. :thumbdown:

Listen, I don't care if they stayed home and soaked in their hot tub, or if they are lying in the sun in Bumf***, Egypt...they have the right to spend time recovering from whatever aches and pains they have, not kissing the collective asses of the media before, during, or after a meaningless game. Get over it.

I'm not a grouch... I'm just passionate. :)

I'm mostly responding to people that are claiming that them being suspended is some kind of travesty of justice. It's not. They are, basically, blowing off the All-Star game and deserve to be suspended. Period.

Here's the thing though....Holland said in his interview that he will not call them. Holland found out about this "loophole" on Friday, which is obvious by his remarks in his interview. Sidney Crosby also talked to Bettman on Friday, at which time he was able to turn off his big screen, pack a bag, call his mom, and hop on a plane knowing he won't be suspended now. Lids and Dats probably knew they were going to have the game suspension, and still decided to take the week off to rest. The whole point is Holland refused to call Lids and Dats yesterday to tell them that there is now an "exception" to this new rule, and they COULD get out of their game suspension if they hopped on a plane right now and headed for Montreal. How was Holland to know that this exception would be made THREE days after telling Dats and Lids they could have the week off? The worst part is Crosby is now in Montreal criticizing Dats and Lids for not being there. I had respect for Crosby before as a hockey player and being such a young captain, but his age and lack of experience and guidance SURE shows here.

What part of his quote makes that obvious?

From MLive:

Holland said Lidstrom came to him Monday to tell him the tendinitis in his right elbow was flaring up. The Wings' captain had a MRI done Wednesday and Holland said they found a small tear.

so it sounds like even without the MRI, Lids informed Holland Monday about not wanting to play in the ASG. Less than a week to make plans.

Holland said he explained all this to NHL vice-president Colin Campbell earlier this week. Holland said he has no plans to call the league again

so he talked to the league earlier in the week. This did not all go down on Friday.

Ok, assume this alleged "exception" never happens.

That means when Holland said Lidstrom and Datsyuk could take the week off, he should have known that by the rule enacted last February, they will have to miss the game following the ASG. Players too hurt to play in the game have to miss either the game preceding or following the ASG. It's pretty clear. So without the exception they absolutely would be required to miss a game.

If the exception happened at the last second, that just gave Dats and Lidstrom and opportunity to not miss a game. Whereas without the exception, by the rule they were 100% going to miss it. And Holland should have known that.

It's a bad rule that's come to light because of two great players like Lidstrom and Datsyuk getting caught in it. But the rule was in place and exception or not they would've had to miss Tuesday's game.

I'm not a grouch... I'm just passionate. :)

I'm mostly responding to people that are claiming that them being suspended is some kind of travesty of justice. It's not. They are, basically, blowing off the All-Star game and deserve to be suspended. Period.

That's it in a nutshell.

These guys are ultimately entertainers. Part of their job is promoting the sport. They chose to skip and there's a rule in place saying they have to miss a game, so they're missing a game.

What part of his quote makes that obvious?

From MLive:

so it sounds like even without the MRI, Lids informed Holland Monday about not wanting to play in the ASG. Less than a week to make plans.

so he talked to the league earlier in the week. This did not all go down on Friday.

Ok, assume this alleged "exception" never happens.

That means when Holland said Lidstrom and Datsyuk could take the week off, he should have known that by the rule enacted last February, they will have to miss the game following the ASG. Players too hurt to play in the game have to miss either the game preceding or following the ASG. It's pretty clear. So without the exception they absolutely would be required to miss a game.

If the exception happened at the last second, that just gave Dats and Lidstrom and opportunity to not miss a game. Whereas without the exception, by the rule they were 100% going to miss it. And Holland should have known that.

It's a bad rule that's come to light because of two great players like Lidstrom and Datsyuk getting caught in it. But the rule was in place and exception or not they would've had to miss Tuesday's game.

I totally agree with you on this. I agree that they knew about the suspension and agree that they SHOULD miss the game on Tuesday. My whole problem with this thing is that Bettman made the exception to Crosby yesterday (i'm just assuming it happened yesterday with all of the media and comments by Crosby and Bettman). I have a problem with the fact that if Lids and Dats were already accepting the fact that they were going to get a game off by resting knowing they weren't playing in the ASG, but had they known about this exception three days later would they have gone? In this case it's up to them, and if family or resting was more important, so be it. If it was important to them to not have a suspension in their career though, and they COULD have been exempt by showing up for media, they should have had that option in my opinion.

Edited by HockeytownRN

I totally agree with you on this. I agree that they knew about the suspension and agree that they SHOULD miss the game on Tuesday. My whole problem with this thing is that Bettman made the exception to Crosby yesterday (i'm just assuming it happened yesterday with all of the media and comments by Crosby and Bettman). I have a problem with the fact that if Lids and Dats were already accepting the fact that they were going to get a game off by resting knowing they weren't playing in the ASG, but had they known about this exception three days later would they have gone? In this case it's up to them, and if family or resting was more important, so be it. If it was important to them to not have a suspension in their career though, and they COULD have been exempt by showing up for media, they should have had that option in my opinion.

If they were that concerned, I'm fairly certain they could have called Bettman. Just like Crosby did. Sounds like Crosby did the right thing. He called. If Lidstrom and Datsyuk were so concerned, they could have called days ago. I don't see the point in crucifying Crosby just because he was decent enough to make a simple phone call and make an arrangement with Bettman. Good for him.

That's it in a nutshell.

These guys are ultimately entertainers. Part of their job is promoting the sport. They chose to skip and there's a rule in place saying they have to miss a game, so they're missing a game.

You guys are both off the mark and it's been repeated here a million times. Everyone knows they will miss a game and for the most part know why and are fine with it. The problem is the apparent "clarification" of the rule which Crosby received personally, whereas everyone else (our 2 players), had to get that later through the media mill, probably after it was too late to reasonably change their plans. Fair?

All this has done is make Lids and Dats look like they are a couple of selfish a-holes who could care less about the league and it's fashion show, which is the farthest thing from the truth as evidenced by their previous attendence at many, many league functions. All this while Crosby comes out smelling clean because he had the advantage of the late "clarification" of the rule!

THAT'S the point that's got people pissed!

esteef

If they were that concerned, I'm fairly certain they could have called Bettman. Just like Crosby did. Sounds like Crosby did the right thing. He called. If Lidstrom and Datsyuk were so concerned, they could have called days ago. I don't see the point in crucifying Crosby just because he was decent enough to make a simple phone call and make an arrangement with Bettman. Good for him.

Why would they call? They knew the rule and were expecting not to play against the Jackets, until Crosby got the "show up, shake hands and you can still play" exception. Now that makes them look like a-holes.

esteef

Not to be cynical, but the reaction of Datsyuk and Lidstrom to the news of their 1 game suspension was probably a mix of slight embarassment and a lot of joy for an extra vacation day.

If one has to work almost 9 months of 7-day weeks with very few days off, each extra day is worth a lot.

And especially so for older players.

I applaud Holland for standing up for his guys and refusing to, in effect, order them to attend the media events at the ASG, so they can get some extra rest.

I dislike Crosby for critisizing Datyuk and Lidstrom. It would have been way classier to skip the topic altoghether. It was, however nice of him to come to Montreal even though he can't play. I doubt that a threat of 1-game suspension with pay was what made him do it.

Bettman wanted to improve player participation in the ASG and his rule backfired. No cospiracy here. I think that this controversy mainly exists for the media and the fans, while the players and the commissioner will have forgotten all about it in a month.

Edited by sibiriak

Why would they call? They knew the rule and were expecting not to play against the Jackets, until Crosby got the "show up, shake hands and you can still play" exception. Now that makes them look like a-holes.

esteef

Are you implying that Bettman wouldn't have worked with either of them had they called like Crosby? I guarantee you that if they had called Bettman and expressed what was going on and wanted to find a resolution, he would have worked with them. They didn't, so they didn't, so he didn't. Crosby did...