• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stud_defenseman

Interesting stat...

Rate this topic

Ozzie's save percentage this year so far: .882 (not including tonight.

Ozzie's save percentage last year: .914

Sooo, with my magical calculation, I'm going to apply his save percentage to the number of shots he's had this year to see how many goals he would have let in this year had his save percentage been what it was last year...

Magical calculation: .914 * 726 = 663.564 saves

726 shots - 663 saves = 63 goals scored! 23 less than he has let in this year!

All of a sudden detroit becomes the the team with the second best goal differential next to boston.

So, even though our defense has taken a bit of a hit as of late, we are letting up a few more shots per game, most of the problem lies between the pipes. I'm getting sick of how so many coaches, players and even fans seem to shy away from laying part of the blame on the goalie. We are always hearing how the goaile "would have liked to have a couple back" or "wasn't getting any bounces", but rarely gets trashed even though it is fairly clear that they blew it. I think I almost threw up when mick was talking after tonight's game about Ozzie saving them in the first! What a joke. Something is definetly up with that guy, he just does not look confident at all, I want my Ozzie of old :(

Long story short, Ozzie needs a few weeks off to get back to basics. Instead of progressing he has taken two steps back. With Stuart being hurt, use this opportunity to bring up Howard or Larsson and give them some starts. We may need one of them come playoff time. Hopefully we won't and Ozzie wil use the break to clear his head and get out of this terrible funk!

Arg, I'm so frusterated, sorry for my rant.

Sooo, with my magical calculation, I'm going to apply his save percentage to the number of shots he's had this year to see how many goals he would have let in this year had his save percentage been what it was last year...

All of a sudden detroit becomes the the team with the second best goal differential next to boston.

So, even though our defense has taken a bit of a hit as of late, we are letting up a few more shots per game, most of the problem lies between the pipes. I'm getting sick of how so many coaches, players and even fans seem to shy away from laying part of the blame on the goalie. We are always hearing how the goaile "would have liked to have a couple back" or "wasn't getting any bounces", but rarely gets trashed even though it is fairly clear that they blew it. I think I almost threw up when mick was talking after tonight's game about Ozzie saving them in the first! What a joke. Something is definetly up with that guy, he just does not look confident at all, I want my Ozzie of old :(

Long story short, Ozzie needs a few weeks off to get back to basics. Instead of progressing he has taken two steps back. With Stuart being hurt, use this opportunity to bring up Howard or Larsson and give them some starts. We may need one of them come playoff time. Hopefully we won't and Ozzie wil use the break to clear his head and get out of this terrible funk!

Arg, I'm so frusterated, sorry for my rant.

I would put it the other way. Osgood needs to play a few games in a row, or the majority of a few games. He needs to get in a groove. Hell, he was the best goalie on the ice tonight in terms of play both just from looks and in terms of stats. Give Osgood a few more games to get his game back in shape.

I would put it the other way. Osgood needs to play a few games in a row, or the majority of a few games. He needs to get in a groove. Hell, he was the best goalie on the ice tonight in terms of play both just from looks and in terms of stats. Give Osgood a few more games to get his game back in shape.

That is quite possible too. Something has to change though. He has the ability, something is wrong mentally right now.

Guest Crymson

!@#$!@# !@#$!@# ^@#% #*^$*%$&($%^% !#@$!@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing Osgood start 4 of 5 in a short period of time (ie a roadtrip), but if that plan is to come into reality, it needs to happen as soon as possible, because a month before the playoffs is a little too late to be getting your no. 1 in the groove, and on the very real possibility that we lose the majority of those, we still have time to make up for lost ground.

The goals scored are the responsibility of the defence and the goaltender. If a team is allowed almost unlimited access to the area around the crease and are permitted to cycle the puck down low without much resistance, then they are more likely to score a goal than if the defence was playing strong, clearing the crease and getting the puck out of the zone.

Will you guys for once wake up and take on thing into high consideration? "Time of possession," Red Wings controlled the puck atleast 15-20% longer per game last season than they have this season. Which means more than likely more shots for the Red Wings and on top of that less shots for the opponent and less scoring chances. Prove me wrong, do it. I said do it.

Ooooh, I want to try ...

Lidstrom's +/- this year so far: +17

Lidstrom's +/- last year: +40

My dear lord! That's a difference of 23 goals! Change that +17 to a +40 and ...

all of a sudden detroit becomes the the team with the second best goal differential next to boston.

So, even though our goalie has taken a bit of a hit as of late, we are letting in a few more shots per game, most of the problem lies with Lidstrom. I'm getting sick of how so many coaches, players and even fans seem to shy away from laying part of the blame on the captain. We are always hearing how the captain "would have liked to have a couple back" or "wasn't getting any bounces", but rarely gets trashed even though it is fairly clear that he blew it. I think I almost threw up when mick was talking after tonight's game about Lidstrom in the first! What a joke. Something is definetly up with that guy, he just does not look confident at all, I want my Lidstrom of old :(

Long story short, Lidstrom needs a few weeks off to get back to basics. Instead of progressing he has taken two steps back. With Stuart being hurt, use this opportunity to bring up Kindl or Ericcson and give them some starts. We may need one of them come playoff time. Hopefully we won't and Lidstrom will use the break to clear his head and get out of this terrible funk!

That was fun! It's like Mad Libs ... who wants to go next?

Will you guys for once wake up and take on thing into high consideration? "Time of possession," Red Wings controlled the puck atleast 15-20% longer per game last season than they have this season. Which means more than likely more shots for the Red Wings and on top of that less shots for the opponent and less scoring chances. Prove me wrong, do it. I said do it.

You hit the nail on the head! Looking at this season as compared to last season the opposition has a much easier time cycling the puck in our zone and it seems that a strong forecheck has stymied our ability to get the puck out of our zone. Also our offense seems to be more of a "quick strike" type of offense - goals off of the rush and such. Our offense doesn't spend any significant time in the oppositions zone. We score plenty based on sheer offensive talent so I'm not complaining about the offense in the least but it does put additional pressure on our weakened D.

That was fun! It's like Mad Libs ... who wants to go next?

Me!

Marian Hossa's goals this year: 28

Dallas Drakes number of goals all of last year: 3

Sooo, with my magical calculation, I'm going to subtract hossa's goals from drake's goals (since that was the only roster change up front) to see how many goals we would have scored this year had drake been on the roster still, instead of hossa...

Magical calculation: 3-28 = -25!

That would mean as a team we would have scored 25 less than we've scored this year!

All of a sudden detroit becomes the the team with the 11th best goal differential just above florida.

So, even though our defense has taken a bit of a hit as of late, we are letting up a few more shots per game, most of the skill lies in the top two lines. I'm getting sick of how so many coaches, players and even fans seem to tell hossa he's doing a good job. We are always hearing how hossa "should have shot more" or "wasn't getting any bounces", but rarely gets trashed even though it is fairly clear he hasn't had a hat trick this year. I think I almost threw up when mick was talking after tonight's game about hossa saving them in the first! What a joke. Something is definetly up with that guy, he has four goals in two games, I want my Drake of old sad.gif

Long story short, hossa needs a few weeks off to get back to basics. Instead of scoring three goals all season he has scored twenty eight already. With Drake being retired, use this opportunity to bring up draper or maltby and give them some starts on the top line. We may need one of them come playoff time. Hopefully we won't and Hossa will use the break to clear his head and get out of this terrible goal scoring spree!

Arg, I'm so glad our offense is way better than last year, sorry for my rant.

:P

Edited by stormboy

Osgood is capable of picking it up and being solid in the playoffs, at least we know that -- but I have no idea how to get him there; sit him more or play him more? I just hope the coaching staff figures it out soon.

There is no denying he is largely at fault for a lot of these goals against.

Ozzie was the man last year, I think there is little doubt about that among Wings fans.

This year he just seems to be more like the Ozzie we have known over his career as a Red Wing. Some nights he comes out and looks good while other nights he looks quite unstable or like the Ozzie who lets in blue line shots. Give him a few starts in a row and let him shake off whatever is bothering him.

Ozzie was the man last year, I think there is little doubt about that among Wings fans.

This year he just seems to be more like the Ozzie we have known over his career as a Red Wing. Some nights he comes out and looks good while other nights he looks quite unstable or like the Ozzie who lets in blue line shots. Give him a few starts in a row and let him shake off whatever is bothering him.

Osgood was never this bad, though. This is easily his worst season ever.

This is an interesting statistical set I saw perusing our goalies' game log:

CONKLIN'S GOALS AGAINST

4+: 9 games

3 or Under: 15 games

Percentage of games allowing 4+: 37.5%

OSGOOD'S GOALS AGAINST

4+: 10 games

3 or Under: 17 games

Percentage of games allowing 4+: 37.0%

What does this show? Not much really. Just that we don't have a consistent goaltender and either one is allowing 4+ and making it harder to get a win about 37% of the time.

Obviously Conklin's statistics are much better than Ozzy's in the 3 or under games.

Edited by digitaljohn88

To the OP, I couldn't agree more. While the D certainly seems to have taken a hit this year, its not enough to explain the discrepancy. Goaltending has been the Wings achilles heal this season and unless they get if figured out before the postseason I'll be quite nervous.

Panicky fans?

Panicing or not, atleast this thread had a solid base to its foundation. With all the garbage threads people have started as of late, this is a breath of fresh air.

Exactly, he just needs some confidence and they team to play well around him and he will be back to his old form in no time.

Last night, especially near the end of the game he looked very nervous in net. He knows the deal just as much as any fan, he isn't playing well right now and needs to step it up.

CONKLIN'S GOALS AGAINST

OSGOOD'S GOALS AGAINST

What does this show? Not much really. Just that we don't have a consistent goaltender and either one is allowing 4+ and making it harder to get a win about 37% of the time.

Obviously Conklin's statistics are much better than Ozzy's in the 3 or under games.

Wow. Way to skew your statistics.

Osgood has 17 games of 3 goals or under, and Conklin has 15 games of 3 goals or under...

...but Osgood has 6 games of 2 goals or under, and Conklin has 12 games of 2 goals or under.

Osgood: Percentage of games allowing 3+ goals 75%

Conklin: Percentage of games allowing 3+ goals 50%

Edited by YoungGuns1340

CONKLIN'S GOALS AGAINST

OSGOOD'S GOALS AGAINST

Wow. Way to skew your statistics.

Osgood has 17 games of 3 goals or under, and Conklin has 15 games of 3 goals or under...

...but Osgood has 6 games of 2 goals or under, and Conklin has 12 games of 2 goals or under.

Osgood: Percentage of games allowing 3+ goals 75%

Conklin: Percentage of games allowing 3+ goals 50%

i don't think dj88's statistics are skewed, per se: he wasn't making the argument that both goalies are playing equally well--see the bolded part of his quote.

yg1340, while your interpretation of the statistics, or rather the stats you chose to point out, show that conklin is much more likely to allow only two goals and is quite a bit less likely to allow three or more.

however, since the wings have a goals for average of about 3.6 right now, the goalie allowing three or four is a pretty big distinction. dj showed that both goalies have allowed four or more goals (all above our goals for average) in just over a third of their starts.

obviously, the goals for stat is an average and we have a lot of games with three goals for and a lot with four goals for. in that case, it is obviously important to have a goalie that is more likely to allow two goals than three.

but generally speaking, they both allow more goals than we usually score with similar frequency. i don't think the point of dj's analysis was that both goalies are playing equally well.

just my couple of cents.

i also think it's worth pointing out that even with all of our defensive and goaltending struggles, we're still in the top third in goals against average, league wide. obviously we're capable of being better, but it's not like we're in the league cellar, goals against-wise.

saw this one coyotes forum:

I had no problem with Jovo's crosschecks whatsoever. Frustration demonstrates that you care. That's a good thing. Also, the Wings are clearly one of if not the most talented team in the NHL, so the only real advantage an opponent has is the grit/physical/intimidation aspect of it. Teams need to continue to bully the Wings to make it clear that a team that soft is going to have to pay a price.

aint that the truth

Edited by j.hoop