• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hank

Hossa to Sign Soon?

Rate this topic

He scored 12 goals on the 4th line. He was fast, defensively sound, huge, great shot, somewhat physical. I'm pretty sure most everyone knew he wouldn't be a 4th liner for the balance of his career. The very next season he pretty much doubled his offensive output.

And even $900K is underpaid for a 3rd liner. His agent had to work like hell, but still Kenny got a steal of a deal.

I was just repeating what I read in reports at the time of the signing. Again, I didn't say his agent was money grubbing, I just said he was a bear to deal with.

I was just repeating what I read in reports at the time of the signing. Again, I didn't say his agent was money grubbing, I just said he was a bear to deal with.

I was the one who called his agent 'money grubbing' and yes, it was probably a bad choice of words. Do I think we all could have seen Franzen turning in to this goal scorer that he is today? Ummm, nope! Truthfully, I have a hard time believing anyone thought he would be at the level he is today. If you say you truly thought that years ago, you're just lying to yourself. With that said, it is very logical thinking to assume that Franzen could demand upwards of 5mill or more. Look at how many GM's throw money around to guys they hope to be big stars. You can't tell me there's not some GM in the NHL right now that wouldn't easily throw Franzen 6 million, cause I'm sure there's more than one.

The thing is, I like Franzen as a Wing. I really do. But pound for pound, Hossa clearly throws his body around more and uses his size better than Franzen. If Franzen could learn to use his size more (like his coaches seem to have been telling him since he's been a Wing) I think he could be even better than he is now. Just watch Hossa as he's one on one along the boards, coming into the zone. He'll just bank the puck off the boards and as a guy goes to get in his way he easily pushes them aside. Protecting the puck is the exact same thing too!

I guess I'm just hoping what the media is saying is correct and that more of the attention is going towards Hossa and that he's willing to sign for less than Zetterberg. Truthfully, thats great news to me. And if it meant losing Flip, Kopy, Sammy, Lebda or even Franzen (whether it be free agency or thru trades) (and I'm not saying losing ALL of them, just one or two) than I would truthfully just be happy to keep Hossa around and see Abds, Helmer and Leino playing in a Wings jersey

I was the one who called his agent 'money grubbing' and yes, it was probably a bad choice of words. Do I think we all could have seen Franzen turning in to this goal scorer that he is today? Ummm, nope! Truthfully, I have a hard time believing anyone thought he would be at the level he is today. If you say you truly thought that years ago, you're just lying to yourself. With that said, it is very logical thinking to assume that Franzen could demand upwards of 5mill or more. Look at how many GM's throw money around to guys they hope to be big stars. You can't tell me there's not some GM in the NHL right now that wouldn't easily throw Franzen 6 million, cause I'm sure there's more than one.

The thing is, I like Franzen as a Wing. I really do. But pound for pound, Hossa clearly throws his body around more and uses his size better than Franzen. If Franzen could learn to use his size more (like his coaches seem to have been telling him since he's been a Wing) I think he could be even better than he is now. Just watch Hossa as he's one on one along the boards, coming into the zone. He'll just bank the puck off the boards and as a guy goes to get in his way he easily pushes them aside. Protecting the puck is the exact same thing too!

I guess I'm just hoping what the media is saying is correct and that more of the attention is going towards Hossa and that he's willing to sign for less than Zetterberg. Truthfully, thats great news to me. And if it meant losing Flip, Kopy, Sammy, Lebda or even Franzen (whether it be free agency or thru trades) (and I'm not saying losing ALL of them, just one or two) than I would truthfully just be happy to keep Hossa around and see Abds, Helmer and Leino playing in a Wings jersey

I was thinking he could be a Modin type player. Ask around. I beat the hell out of that argument a time or two on various boards with people who thought he'd never amount to that much and as of right now he's more.

Hossa is the better player. No one denies that. The cap is a *****.

Guest mindfly
Wings GM Holland 'maybe' can sign Hossa, Franzen

To keep both, general manager would need to maneuver, like trading some supporting players.

Dave Dye / The Detroit News

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Everywhere Red Wings general manager Ken Holland goes, he's asked the same question:

"Can you sign both Marian Hossa and Johan Franzen?"

If Holland were asking, he would phrase the question differently.

Advertisement

"Can you sign Hossa and Franzen andkeep the majority of the team together, that's the question," Holland said.

So, can you?

"Maybe," Holland said.

To keep both, the Wings will have to trade some players in the supporting cast before next season and/or not sign some of their other potential free agents such as forwards Jiri Hudler, Mikael Samuelsson and Tomas Kopecky, goaltender Ty Conklin and defenseman Chris Chelios.

It's the only way to stay under the league's salary cap, which stands at $56.7 million and is likely to remain close to that next season.

Holland took care of his top priority a couple weeks ago by locking in Henrik Zetterberg to a 12-year, $73 million contract. The key to the deal, from the Wings' perspective, is that it counts less than $6.1 million per year against the cap.

Nevertheless, because of the salary cap, Holland can sign only one more -- Hossa or Franzen -- before July 1, the first day of free agency, when the new cap goes into effect.

The other one will have to wait until July 1 to sign.

"We're talking," Holland said. "They both know the situation. When we can get a contract number that makes competitive sense for us, and business sense for them, we'll do it. I really don't have a priority (on which to sign early)."

He's rolling

Hossa, who scored his 30th goal Sunday in a 3-0 victory at Pittsburgh, has an outside chance to score 50 for the first time. He's on pace for 46. His career high is 45.

"That is kind of bonus for myself," Hossa said of reaching 30 for the seventh time in his 11-year career. "That's not why I came here. I came for different reason (to win the Stanley Cup)."

Promising sign

The Red Wings still have a ways to go before their penalty kill isn't the worst in the league on the road, but they took a step in the right direction by killing all four Penguins power plays.

"Our penalty kill has been really good the last couple games," Conklin said. "We carried over what we started (Saturday) against Edmonton. It probably was as big a difference in the game (against Pittsburgh) as anything."

The Wings penalty kill is at 74.2 percent in 28 road games.

Guest Hatethedrake!

With regards to cap space...

How, exactly, do you plan to do that? Hossa will cost somewhere between $5.5m and $8m. Franzen will cost between $3m and $5.5m. Total $8.5m-13.5m cap hit.

By comparison, Flip costs $3m and Hudler will cost between $1.5m and $4m, meaning a total of $4.5m-$7m of cap hit. Flip and Huds combined could potentially cost LESS than Franzen ALONE.

So it's possible that Hudler and Filppula cost the same as Franzen by himself. Given Franzen's history of tough negotiations and the fact that Hudler is the best player of the three and an RFA, so likely to be closer to the cheaper end, I'm changing your comparison for a more logical comparison.

Hossa+Hudler+Filppula>Hossa+Franzen.

In addition to letting go of Filppula and Hudler, I also subtracted the losses of Samuelsson, Conklin, Chelios, and Lilja. My line-up has Helm, Leino and Abdelkader as well as Howard and Ericsson. If you run the numbers it is very much possible to keep Franzen and Hossa provided they take a little less salary with contracts structured similar to Zetterberg's.

In addition to letting go of Filppula and Hudler, I also subtracted the losses of Samuelsson, Conklin, Chelios, and Lilja. My line-up has Helm, Leino and Abdelkader as well as Howard and Ericsson. If you run the numbers it is very much possible to keep Franzen and Hossa provided they take a little less salary with contracts structured similar to Zetterberg's.

Osgood and Howard ( both suck now) as goalies next year? Are you kidding me????

Holland won't replace 1/3 of team with "grand rapiders" in one year because of hossa needs to be signed, you can count on it.

Guest Hatethedrake!
Osgood and Howard ( both suck now) as goalies next year? Are you kidding me????

Holland won't replace 1/3 of team with "grand rapiders" in one year because of hossa needs to be signed, you can count on it.

I count on Holland to do what is best for the team. These Grand Rapiders are pretty good players who are ready to make the jump to the NHL. The Red Wings are going to be the best team in the league regardless of who stays or goes. As for the goaltending, the Wings are pretty much stuck with what they have. We all know that Osgood is not going anywhere. Conklin may be re-signed. It all depends on what they think of Howard really.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Notice how NN said Mike Richards, and I said he wasnt the same afterwards? Mike Richards overall. The hit was just the biggest thing Mike Richards did, and it was widely speculated that the hit broke a couple of Malkins ribs. Opie, see this is why I love you, the whole put a pylon on the ice and he wouldn't have scored, yeah that's what I said alright! Crosby and Hossa were shutdown because they were playing against 2 Selke nominees and the winner of the Norris trophy.Yes, Fillpula shut down Malkin, but if you think Malkin was 100%, or if you believe it was all Flip as some in here make it out to be, your crazy. (Those aren't directed at you Opie, because you didnt give your opinion on the matter, just defending what I said and why I said it.)

A> I never quoted you, nor did I single anyone out in my post. The only names referred to or mentioned were Flip, Malkin, Richards, not NN, not you. You assumed it was directed at you. Just because my post went below yours does not me I was directly referring to you, it means I was the first to post after you.

B> You may not be familiar with the Jon Lovitz joke at the end of that post, I attribute that to you thinking I was serious with the pylon statement. It should have signaled over exaggeration as that character was known on the show(SNL) as the Liar, he ended all of his exaggerated lies with the statement "Yeah, that's the ticket!" any who, my statement was not that you believed a pylon could do it, it is called sarcasm, some might even say I was being facetious.

C> Whether Malkin was 100% or not is meaningless, no one was 100% at that point in the season, Flip shut him down, if he was a mere shadow of himself health wise A) Why would he be on the roster, B)I never heard any reports about Malkin having any confirmed injuries. You are devaluing what Flip did because Malkin had a boo boo or had a serious injury, neither you nor I know the extent of his injuries or can even confirm he was injured at all, what if he was 92% is that an accomplishment for Flip, 85%, 65% where do we draw the line, because if we want to speculate, I speculate he was at about 98.6% physically in that series. BEWARE THAT WAS SARCASM! Mentally, I think, after game 2 he was at about 40%.

I didn't say (as you stated I didn't give my opinion, should have) he could shut down a 100% Malkin, we don't know that because we have never seen him try. What we do know is that as a team the Red Wings (Which was my point not that Flip could do it) shut down most of the Pens that series, with some of the best team D the league has seen in the new era. I don't think Z shut down Crosby, I think the team did. Hockey above all sports can not be taken over by one player. One player can take you to heights unattainable with your old roster, but will not get you to the cup. Even the Pens with the "Next One" needed Malkin and Crosby two top 20 players in the game to get him there.

I agree 100% with your statement it wasn't Fil, but you disregard him like he had nothing to do with it, switch him and Bobby Lang and see if Malkin still struggles or has to wait until game 6 to score.

If the hit was so bad and he was so hurt where was the press release like Big Ben had, where was the "I played with Broken ribs and couldn't be myself." This guy was under a lot of fire for under producing in the series, yet he never says I was 80%, or I had a serious injury (RIBS) that prevented me from being at my best!

Call me an eternal optimist or Homer which ever you see fit, but I tend to believe that in that series Malkin was shutdown, as opposed to being so injured he was rendered incompetent which is countered by the fact he scored within 15 seconds of the hit, and not a slick little wrister that wouldn't involve much rib movement, but instead wound up and unleashed a slap shot (lots of mid body movement) from the low slot. Ever injure your ribs, I have, breathing hurts like a bastard (I know you argument is adrenaline)!

As for Hudler getting an offer sheet, his production the past 2 years including this one, with such little ice time, I have a hard time believing someone wont offer him one, and I'd fully expect him to accept it. Plus, no GM in there right mind would throw a smaller offer sheet like 2.5-3 mil. It'd have to be near what the last couple have been like.

I agree the best thing for the Wings (If you are in the keep Hossa frame of mind) is if Hudler is offered a sheet. That way the Wings don't have to go the Quincey route. My only hesitation would be does Hudler warrant an offer sheet, in regards to do other teams think he has the assets to give him an inflated offer? Before this season I would say NO! After his very very good year I think Yes. I think a lot of GM's see him as a great piece to add. Not that he will be Joe Thornton, but if he were on the Wing of a guy like Thornton (I don't think he will end up in SJ, just an example.) or put him along side a guy like Nash he would produce. The only question like you said is, would he then be worth the 4-5 million dollar risk. (I put money not you).

As much as others are over valuing Flip in your opinion it is my opinion that you underrate his defense and just attribute it to an injured opponent.

I think its naive to think that Hudler and Franzen aren't in line for serious increases... no matter what Hossa does. Ken might be revealing his genius for keeping Helm and Ericsson in tow when just perhaps they were NHL-ready last year.

I think its naive to think that Hudler and Franzen aren't in line for serious increases... no matter what Hossa does. Ken might be revealing his genius for keeping Helm and Ericsson in tow when just perhaps they were NHL-ready last year.

Holland did not keep "cheap" GRers in reserve in case of need to pay well to someone.

Edited by hokike

Guest Hatethedrake!

Alot would have to happen but it is not impossible.

Here is what the Cap hits for next season looks like for the Wings with my estimates for Hossa and Franzen...

FORWARDS (12)

DATSYUK 6.7

ZETTERBERG 6

HOSSA 6

FRANZEN 3

CLEARY 2.8

HOLMSTROM 2.25

DRAPER 1.583

MALTBY .883

LEINO .875

ABDELKADER .85

HELM .598

KOPECKY .5

DEFENSEMEN (7)

LIDSTROM 7.45

RAFALSKI 6

STUART 3.75

KRONWALL 3

ERICSSON .9

LEBDA .65

MEECH .483

GOALIES (2)

OSGOOD 1.416

HOWARD .717

TOTAL (21)

56.405 MILLION

Hossa would have to accept a deal similar to Zetterberg. A front loaded deal with a Cap hit of 6 mil per season. Franzen would have to accept a front loaded deal with a Cap hit of 3 mil per season. Filppula would have to be traded to get rid of his 3 mil Cap hit. Hudler would have to be either traded for draft picks or be signed by another team via an offer sheet which is not matched by the Wings. Samuelsson would be gone as a UFA. Lilja would be gone as well. So too would Chelios and Conklin.

Replacing them would be Howard, Ericsson, Helm, Abdelkader and Leino. So the Wings 3rd line would basically be replaced. New line-up:

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Kopecky-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Meech

Osgood-Howard

The Cap is supposed to be around the same as this year's 56.7 mil. So 56.405 is not too far off.

Ultimately I expect Hossa to be gone and Hudler and Filppula will stay. But if Holland can get creative and convince both Hossa and Franzen to take similar structured deals such as Zetterberg's then it is not out of a question for the Wings to keep both players.

to make cap hit smaller than Zetterberg's actual salary, Holland had no choice than offer insanely long contract.

Is Holland willing to take risk and try to sign Hossa and or Franzen similar dangerously long contracts?

The Cap is supposed to be around the same as this year's 56.7 mil. So 56.405 is not too far off.

Ultimately I expect Hossa to be gone and Hudler and Filppula will stay. But if Holland can get creative and convince both Hossa and Franzen to take similar structured deals such as Zetterberg's then it is not out of a question for the Wings to keep both players.

I think Hudler is far more likey to be retained for closer to that $3m than Franzen.

There is also a good chance the cap goes up next year - between 2% and 5%.

If Holland can sign Franzen and Hudler while keeping Filppula - that would be great.

If he could sign Hossa and Hudler by trading Filppula - I think that is even better.

to make cap hit smaller than Zetterberg's actual salary, Holland had no choice than offer insanely long contract.

Is Holland willing to take risk and try to sign Hossa and or Franzen similar dangerously long contracts?

It is a much safer bet to sign Hossa long term than Franzen (or even Zetterberg, for that matter). Hossa has next to no history of injuries. Franzen, especially, has issues each year.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Holland is in a very tough spot. He is the one GM who I would want trying to do what is best for the team. He's even said himself that he cannot keep everyone. I believe he has a number in mind for all of his UFAs and RFAs and if they do not come close to what those are then he will not cave in.

It's also tough because all these players we are talking about (Hossa, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler) are all good players. Hossa is a superstar. Franzen could be a star but is not proven enough to be declared one yet. Filppula and Hudler are both very good young players who will only get better.

If Holland signs one of Hossa or Franzen now and then waits until just before July 1st to try and sign the other one...to me that is very risky. Their is also the possibility of losing both players.

I see Franzen agreeing to a deal first and then Hossa leaving as an UFA. Of course if it is the other way around, we could see Franzen leaving ala Marty Lapointe. While I like both players, I like Hossa better. But long term Cap wise, Franzen is likely the better fit. I go back and forth on this all the time. I bet Holland and Co. do the same.

Perhaps Zetterberg got the deal he did because he is the heir apparent to Lidstrom as team captain. Holland has always said that he tries to SELL LESS to his free agents. I guess whichever player is willing to accept LESS the most is the one who may be staying a Red Wing.

It is a much safer bet to sign Hossa long term than Franzen (or even Zetterberg, for that matter). Hossa has next to no history of injuries. Franzen, especially, has issues each year.

That's actually a very good point. Since establishing himself as an NHL player, Hossa hasn't played fewer than 72 games in a season and has only played fewer than 80 twice (8 seasons prior to this year). Zetterberg has never played 80 and has played fewer than 70 twice in 5 seasons prior to this year. Hossa could be at least some insurance that we have two super-stud forwards playing all the time, him and generally-healthy Datsyuk. Franzen has his own injury trouble and couldn't guarantee that.

From everything that Holland is saying and doing, it seems Plan A is to keep Hossa and Franzen, get rid of as many middle tier players as required to do that (likely Flip, Hudler) while keeping as many as we can, and fill in with our GR crew as required. I think that's a lot of the reason everyone's getting a turn up here, to be sure they're ready to do that. That Holland's saying maybe we can keep Hoss AND Mule's an indication he and Babcock think it's viable. I think it's a great plan and if we have Z, Dats, Hoss signed to long term deals we'll be in a position to increase pay for our youngsters who turn out to be as good as we hope and still look at the FA market as the economy improves and the cap goes up in future years. Based on what Holland and Hossa are saying right now, it seems very likely that deal IS going to get done and really the question is Franzen at this point. How much money and how long both sides can do?

Now that's just stupid. You are saying that because a guy hasn't been injured in the past his chance of injury in the future are less?

This would only make sense if was a recurring injury which none of Franzen's were.

Franzen got hit in the hand with a puck, we better not sign him he might get hit in the hand again. Hossa has never been hit in the hand with a puck so he's a safer bet.

I get it that some people have this man love for Hossa, but at least try to be a little bit objective.

Hoss'a chances of injury are no less than Franzens except for the fact that Franzen stands in fron of the net and Hossa doesn't.

I'd choose to keep Hossa and Franzen over Hudler and Filppula. Pre Cap we could keep them all. Since that will not happen I'd like to see the following lines for next season...

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Meech

Osgood-Howard

Duh?

Thats my issue as well. I hate the thought of having 5 players all being paid 6M or more going into the future, especially with the prospect of the cap going down, and our goaltending/defense issues.

Its really too bad that the Wings gave Rafalski an NTC. I really think the Wings defense could carry on just fine by replacing Ericsson with any one of Kronwall, Rafalski, or Stuart, and replacing Ericsson with Rafalski would alleviate my concern for retaining Hossa. Yes, our defense may suffer offensively, but at the same time I'm sick of so many of our great, young players have to put off a few years of development because there isnt any space for them.

Well, if they sign Hossa, you'll get your wish out of necessity, because the only way to do it will be to have many of your bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 defensemen be on rookie contracts.

But realize: (a) Part of the reason the Red Wings have been so successful (pre- and post-lockout) is that they haven't been forced to play their young players before they're ready (like LA, Chicago, Minnesota, Edmonton, etc.); (b) Signing Hossa in the first place was a longshot, so I worry about people getting their hopes up if it doesn't go through; and © the only reason any of this is even possible is the fact that we're one of the VERY few reputable teams in this league that doesn't have to pay a goaltender any more than $1.5 million. Seriously, having an Osgood or Conklin as opposed to Kiprusoff, Lundquist, or Luongo is pretty much the equivalent of getting a "free bonus superstar" in the salary cap era! From a long-term perspective, Osgood will very soon need to be replaced (or retire) and we'll either be playing young goaltenders or ones that don't demand a ton of money. Could work, but could also be a problem.

Now that's just stupid. You are saying that because a guy hasn't been injured in the past his chance of injury in the future are less?

This would only make sense if was a recurring injury which none of Franzen's were.

Franzen got hit in the hand with a puck, we better not sign him he might get hit in the hand again. Hossa has never been hit in the hand with a puck so he's a safer bet.

I get it that some people have this man love for Hossa, but at least try to be a little bit objective.

Hoss'a chances of injury are no less than Franzens except for the fact that Franzen stands in fron of the net and Hossa doesn't.

I get what you're saying, but there is also another way to look at it.

Couldn't it be possible that Hossa has been in ALL the same situations as Franzen and didn't get hurt? Couldn't someone be a little more prone to injury than someone else? Do you think we all have the same exact chance of getting injured in the same scenarios completely disregarding a persons physical makeup?

I mean, if you're going to ask someone else to be objective - take some of your own advice.

You're right, it is completely "stupid" to look at the past and project it into the future. I sometimes am in awe of my own ability to wipe my own a$$ some days.

In only 4 years, Franzen has already racked up more missed games due to injury than Hossa has in his entire 10 year career.

Only a moron would think because of Franzen's style of play and history of injuries, he might continue to be a higher injury risk (like a Holmstrom) than someone like Hossa, with his style of play and history of a lack of injuries. Please excuse me, as I have to go and figure out how to jam a pencil into my ear far enough to scratch this headache you are giving me.

Edited by egroen

...Yes! Just make sure there are no "NO TRADE CLAUSES" included in their contracts. Does anyone know if Zetterberg has one?

...Isn't Franzen a natural center? So if we traded Flip, lost Huds to RFA we'd still have 4 centers in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Draper, right?

...this is so hard to call!!!! I only hope that Hossa stays, I'd hate to lose anyone from the Cup team (or the repeating Cup team) but all three guys, PLUS Leino and bringing up Helm/Ericsson is not feasable!!!! ARRGH!!!!!

...Come on Magic Ken, shows us some of that hoo doo that you doo so well!!!!

...if by some way, Holland figures out a way to Sign ALL three, then there is no doubt in my mind that Gary Bettman will install a Detroit Clause which states you are not aloud to sign a player under his league value, in which, of course, he will be resposible from setting. It just chafs Bettman's ass so much that he HAS to find a way to burn the Wings and I wouldn't put it past him to make a rule/clause in order to undermine Ken Hollands ability to sign players a huge discounts! Of course the Penguins would be exempt from this rule...

Edited by LeftWinger

...Yes! Just make sure there are no "NO TRADE CLAUSES" included in their contracts. Does anyone know if Zetterberg has one?

...Isn't Franzen a natural center? So if we traded Flip, lost Huds to RFA we'd still have 4 centers in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Draper, right?

...this is so hard to call!!!! I only hope that Hossa stays, I'd hate to lose anyone from the Cup team (or the repeating Cup team) but all three guys, PLUS Leino and bringing up Helm/Ericsson is not feasable!!!! ARRGH!!!!!

...Come on Magic Ken, shows us some of that hoo doo that you doo so well!!!!

...if by some way, Holland figures out a way to Sign ALL three, then there is no doubt in my mind that Gary Bettman will install a Detroit Clause which states you are not aloud to sign a player under his league value, in which, of course, he will be resposible from setting. It just chafs Bettman's ass so much that he HAS to find a way to burn the Wings and I wouldn't put it past him to make a rule/clause in order to undermine Ken Hollands ability to sign players a huge discounts! Of course the Penguins would be exempt from this rule...

I would bet Zetterberg has a no-trade clause, at least for the first half of his contract.

Franzen, Hudler and Helm are all natural centers - Detroit is definitely not lacking of viable centers.

I am no longer above thinking Bettman might create an arbitrary rule out of thin air that inherently favors one team over another.