• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hank

Hossa to Sign Soon?

Rate this topic

Z is the next captain after Lidstrom retires. I could see Hossa getting an A though.

I wouldn't mind Dats getting the C. When Lids retired on my NHL 09 they seemed to give it to Dats and thats what put the idea into my head.... although I know its a game but it just seemed to put the idea into my head.

With regards Franzen/Hossa, should look at how many years Holmstrom has left in the tank... especially with a second hernia operation on the way. We may need Franzen in front of the net some time soon! (although Cleary has been good last couple of games when he's been there)

At this point, I don't really care what happens, but I'm really beginning to want the Wings to not even bother trying to re-sign Franzen, unless he takes some crazy 7-8 year deal that ends up costing us a cap hit of 2M a year. Franzen is overrated. Period. The guy can score while being set up by Datsyuk and hes a big body. But he doesn't use his size, can't seem to set guys up, is becoming injury prone, and, IMO, has an iffy work ethic. Hes not worth more than 3M per year, and I doubt he maintains being worth that much. Just let him go to the highest bidder and Detroit is better off spending the cap space elsewhere, likely on a player who isnt overrated by the rest of the league, and likely himself.

Sorry. Not to hate on Franzen, just had to had to get that off my chest.

At this point, I don't really care what happens, but I'm really beginning to want the Wings to not even bother trying to re-sign Franzen, unless he takes some crazy 7-8 year deal that ends up costing us a cap hit of 2M a year. Franzen is overrated. Period. The guy can score while being set up by Datsyuk and hes a big body. But he doesn't use his size, can't seem to set guys up, is becoming injury prone, and, IMO, has an iffy work ethic. Hes not worth more than 3M per year, and I doubt he maintains being worth that much. Just let him go to the highest bidder and Detroit is better off spending the cap space elsewhere, likely on a player who isnt overrated by the rest of the league, and likely himself.

It pains me to say, especially after his playoff tear, but I agree fully.

If that 6 million rumor is true, it changes everything. To have three of the best players in the league locked up for about 6 million each? Unbelievable.

Also, I used to advocate for Franzen over Hossa (before the season started mostly) but here's what I'm thinking:

Only one can be signed before July 1st. Work on getting Hossa for that price. If he's signed then wait until after the playoffs, let Flip and Kopecky, maybe Sammy (though I'd hate to see him go), and Lebda go, replace with Meech, Helm and Leino, and then sign Franzen with what is leftover. Win-win.

Some will say we lose on "grit" like Kopecky, but who are we kidding? Losing those players will leave us in the exact same position, if not better, next year.

If Hossa signs a long term deal here soon, I'm get a hossa tattoo on my ass.

If Hossa signs a long term deal here you might be better served to get a Holland tattoo on your ass :D

At this point if given a choice Hossa would be my guy, he's the kind of guy that makes whoever he's paired with better.

I'm still weary of signing Hossa in fear of how much supporting cast we will have to cut in order to obtain him.

Thats my issue as well. I hate the thought of having 5 players all being paid 6M or more going into the future, especially with the prospect of the cap going down, and our goaltending/defense issues.

Its really too bad that the Wings gave Rafalski an NTC. I really think the Wings defense could carry on just fine by replacing Ericsson with any one of Kronwall, Rafalski, or Stuart, and replacing Ericsson with Rafalski would alleviate my concern for retaining Hossa. Yes, our defense may suffer offensively, but at the same time I'm sick of so many of our great, young players have to put off a few years of development because there isnt any space for them.

It pains me to say, especially after his playoff tear, but I agree fully.

After how far Franzen has come, its not easy to get down on him like this. Honestly, I like Franzen a lot. I just think there are too many holes his game that will be overlooked because of his playoff performance and goal scoring binge.

Thats my issue as well. I hate the thought of having 5 players all being paid 6M or more going into the future, especially with the prospect of the cap going down, and our goaltending/defense issues.

Its really too bad that the Wings gave Rafalski an NTC. I really think the Wings defense could carry on just fine by replacing Ericsson with any one of Kronwall, Rafalski, or Stuart, and replacing Ericsson with Rafalski would alleviate my concern for retaining Hossa. Yes, our defense may suffer offensively, but at the same time I'm sick of so many of our great, young players have to put off a few years of development because there isnt any space for them.

Damn, I didn't know Rafalski had a No Trade. That's the one area where we overpay in my opinion and as you point out, we have the defensive talent at the farm.

get hossa locked up before the 1st of july bc if we win the cup he might go to the bank as will hudler and franzen be in line behind him....if we win the cup again franzen is going to walk to the bank......helm is the grit we need...sign leino....and draper and maltby will retire if we win the cup and let sammy walk if he wants more....it will be sad to see conklin go....and how could people say we get "stuck" with hudler he is a good player.

to bad this extension didn't happen immediately after todays game in pitt would of made the win even sweeter.

Edited by FLWINGSFAN4013

Shedding Flip's salary would, in theory, make it possible to retain Hossa for 6M, resign Hudler (~3M), Leino (~1M), Helm (.5M), and have a solid backup goaltender (.7M). It would also perhaps leave enough room for another gritty role player. While I still think Flip has a lot of unlocked potential, Hudler and Leino both do as well. And if Flip is a casualty in our quest to keeping Hossa, so be it.

My dream scenario, I'm not counting on it, so don't flip out on me internet style. Either Hudler or Sammy will sign for 1.5, take whoever will. The more I look at that 6 by Ralfaski's name the more I hate it. ZDH is reunited. Leino and Hudler = Datysuk in terms of dishing the puck to the Hoss. Lebda is a floater.

Offense:

Zetterberg (6) - Datsyuk (6.7) - Holmstrom (2.25)

Hudler (1.5) - Leino (1) - Hossa (6)

Cleary (2.8) - Helm (.6) - Abdelkader (.74)

Meech (.483) - Draper (1.583) - Maltby (.883)

Defense:

Lidstrom (7.45) - Stuart (3.75)

Ralfaski (6) - Kronwall (3)

Ericcson (.9) - Lilja (1.25)

Lebda (.650)

Goalie:

Osgood (1.417)

Howard (.717)

TOTAL : 55.473 (1.4ish million UNDER this year's cap for all the "the cap is going to go down" people)

My numbers. I got flak for it because people didn't want to have an AHL team for a line. Well, I think it's been made perfectly clear that Helm, Leino AND Abdelkader can very much skate at the NHL level and be very effective. Ericcson as well. Please note it's under this years cap.

And to think people called me crazy and was smoking a crack pipe to think the Wings could retain Hossa, I won't name names.

Flip > Hudler, at the same price. Flip just needs a chance, and he's not puny.

Fil plays far more than Hudler already. What other chance does he need? Hudler is better than Filppula at everything besides defense and the Red Wings have plenty of capable defensive forwards as it is. Being puny has no bearing on Hudler's value to the Red Wings. Filppula is very expendable to the Red Wings if it gives them a better chance to keep Hossa and Hudler around.

Edited by GoWings1905

I hope the Wings are able to get Hossa signed. Franzen is great, but Hossa has the natural abilities to take over as Captain after Lidstrom leaves. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, Hossa has more of a determined presence about his personality. And off ice, I think more so than those two.

Yeah, if he stays with the Wings, I can see Hossa having worked his way into wearing the C by then.

The Wings will make Zetterberg their next captain. No way in hell the C ends up on Hossa's chest (if he chooses to stay long-term). I can't see them shunning Hank when the time comes...that just doesn't make sense. Why would you pass on home grown talent being your next captain in favour of a guy who might be in his 3rd year with the team. That's not the way the Red Wings operate. However, for various other reasons, I'd be thrilled if Hossa stayed on long-term, at the right price.

I wouldn't mind Dats getting the C. When Lids retired on my NHL 09 they seemed to give it to Dats and thats what put the idea into my head.... although I know its a game but it just seemed to put the idea into my head.

With regards Franzen/Hossa, should look at how many years Holmstrom has left in the tank... especially with a second hernia operation on the way. We may need Franzen in front of the net some time soon! (although Cleary has been good last couple of games when he's been there)

I too would love it if Pavel got to be the next captain, but I think the only thing holding him back in that regard is the fact that he's not strong with the English language...sadly enough. That shouldn't have any bearing on it, but I think it would.

^ Zetterberg seems like he'll be the next captain, just because he can communicate better. Some guys don't really excel in a captains role anyways, too much pressure.

lol @ the guy who thinks Flipulla is better then Hudler. Leino is better then Flipulla, and he's only played 3 NHL games.

Edited by TheOwl

I'd like to keep him in Detroit but not for more than 4 million. For some reason I've had nagging doubts about his offensive outburst since he began his tear. Is he as good as he's looked the past 11 months or is he the second coming of Dustin Penner? I guess what I'm saying is, I agree with you.

Flip > Hudler, at the same price. Flip just needs a chance, and he's not puny.

Flip just needs a chance playing 17-19 minutes a night alongside our greatest goal scorer to put up the same kind of points as Hudler a guy who does more with less in both regards. Thats a lot of crutch work for Flip.

Man 'o' Man! I would totally love to go back to a post I made in the not too distant future asking everyone if they thought we should resign Hossa or Franzen first. Probably a good 90% of the people said Franzen is the better option. Many thought he was the "far better option" saying things like "I like Hossa but after this year he can be gone!".

I'm really not trying to rub it in here, but like I've heard in the media here in Detroit many times, I think Hossa is just now started to catch on with people. I think that's clearly true if you read these boards. Many people really wanted Hossa gone after this year and now many people are praying he comes back. Oh, and I can see the delusion many people had of us signing Franzen for half of what we could sign Hossa for is finally (thank god) gone!

Truthfully, now that Zetterberg is locked up and it's been made very clear that Holland wants to sign one player before the playoffs, I would think both players would be giving it their all on (and off) the ice to make Holland favor one over the other. Truthfully, I think that is EXACTLY what Hossa is doing while Franzen has been a no-show the past couple games. He's scored a goal here or there but he's by far not the factor that Hossa is on the ice night in and night out.

Again though, as I always say, it's probably just my long time love for Hossa that might be making me a little biased.

I guess I just see it one way, if the deal is long-term (long enough for Hossas liking atleast), I could easily see Hossa taking a paycut (around 6million) to stay here in Detroit and retire with a wealthy life ahead of him. On the other hand I see a player who wanted too much money than he deserved years ago in Franzen who will probably want close to 5-6 million from the Wings organization.

I would happily take Hossa for 6million over Franzen for 4.5-5million

P.S. I just wanted to also comment and say how happy I was for Hossa to score a goal this afternoon and shut up all those ******-bag Pens fans up! You could see that fire in his eyes when he scored. Chanting "traitor... traitor". Seriously? How is he a traitor when he never wanted to play in Pittsburgh in the first place? Yea, THAT makes sense?

By far some of the most delusional fans I've ever witnessed in Pro Sports.

Edited by This Is Bida