• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

2009 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

and today our bats get going, hopefully they can continue to get some timely hits and homers throughout the rest of the season! 2.5 game lead on August 15 is right where we want to be... in an exciting division race!

I don't get this. Didn't the trade deadline already pass?

In August you can trade players who have cleared waivers. Most team dump a whole bunch of guys on the waiver wire on August 1 and they almost never get claimed because 1) in a trade you can work out salary compensation whereas on the waiver wire you're on the hook for everything and 2) if you claim a minor leaguer just to sabotage a trade, everybody hates you and you'll never get a trade done again because whoever you sabotaged will do it right back to you. Besides I don't think guys who aren't on the 40-man roster have to go through waivers anyway.

The Aubrey Huff deal is fantastic. Huff is exactly what the Tigers need and have been lacking all season. He bats left handed, has more RBI's currently than any Tigers player, and he hits very well with runners in scoring position (something the Tigers do as a team very poorly). Miguel Cabrera has to be thrilled: he finally has a legitimate number three hitter in front of him. Hopefully Guillen is ready to play the outfield again because Huff isn't going to see much time at first or third. I would probably like to see Clete Thomas start more games in right field than Maggs because Clete is very solid defensively.

Granderson - CF

Polanco - 2B

Huff - DH

Cabrera - 1B

Guillen - LF

Thomas/Maggs - RF

Inge - 3B

Laird - C

Everett - SS

I like it a whole heck of a lot more now having Huff in there. Two great trades by Dombrowski this summer.

Edited by GoWings1905

I am beyond impressed with the Tigers the past two games against the Angels. For all of their frustrating flaws, they are a team that goes out and competes hard every night. Leyland has done a wonderful job managing this season. It is nice to see the bats finally get going some in Anaheim. If Granderson, Polanco, and Maggs keep rolling and get on base more, it would be a huge boost for the stretch run. Clearly, great things happen when teams have to pitch to Cabrera with runners on base. He is such an incredible hitter - he would be in the MVP discussion with any protection from the other hitters and he will still probably drive in over 100 runs.

The White Sox are on a very tough road trip. It would be nice to keep adding some distance from them in the standings. The Twins never go away no matter what. I respect them and hate them at the same time because of that. With so many games against Central opponents in September, this division race is going to be close until the end.

Edited by GoWings1905

So are we seeing a blip of winning here or are we really playing well? We have beaten LA 2 of 3 and the Rays quite handily yesterday. Hopefully we are starting to put some things together here.

Nice to see the bottom of the order contribute in a big way against the Rays. The offense seems to have found some pretty nice consistency the past couple games. They might really need to keep doing that today with Robertson starting again.

41-20 at Comerica this season. Talk about defending your home field. :thumbup:

Washburn has been uhh... disappointing to put it nicely. He had that one great start against Kansas City, but beyond that he has really struggled with the Tigers.

Washburn pitching well would be a huge benefit in a potential series against the Yankees with all of the left-handed hitters they start.

Any possible call-ups you guys are excited about? I personally would like to see Wilkin Ramirez some in September. He really slugged the ball at Toledo this year and he brings some speed too.

Washburn has been uhh... disappointing to put it nicely. He had that one great start against Kansas City, but beyond that he has really struggled with the Tigers.

Washburn pitching well would be a huge benefit in a potential series against the Yankees with all of the left-handed hitters they start.

Any possible call-ups you guys are excited about? I personally would like to see Wilkin Ramirez some in September. He really slugged the ball at Toledo this year and he brings some speed too.

Curious to see how Bonderman does coming out of the pen. Lot of money tied into Bondo. Would like to get something back in return.

Sweep! The Tigers are just a completely different team at home. They do everything well at Comerica and now have a five game lead to show for it. Robertson actually looked really good again today. I have to admit that I am shocked he hasn't gotten rocked yet.

Have to get at least a game in Tampa this weekend. JV is a pretty safe bet for a win.