• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

2009 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

Granderson = pimp. If Carl Crawford hadn't made that catch (a very nice catch, but still not as nice as Granderson's from earlier :D ) Curtis would be the ASG MVP for sure.

I know. I kept the game on til the ASG MVP award presentation, hoping that it was Granderson. Hard to believe they have been giving the award for almost 50 years and no Tiger has won it.

gonna get worse in the future if the olympics get baseball back. The proposed plan includes 16 days of no mlb tv coverage while the olympics go on in aug (starting in 2016 at the soonest). MLB games will be played during that time but no way you can see your favorite MLB team unless you buy tickets to the game. College players and amatuers will represent the US during that time and you will only get coverage of them.

Well I was in Michigan for over a week so I did get to see some games. Other than that I did buy the Iphone MLB app for $9.99. Allows live streaming of all games with video highlights. This is better for me than the online stream pack because I don't want to sit by my computer every evening or haul a laptop around. The only bummer is the streaming burns through the battery pretty quick. Pretty cool app for any Iphone/Itouch users who are out of market though...

Even though this is the Orioles, this is a HUGE series for the Tigers. This series will determine whether our bats are going to come out and play or if we are in some serious trouble. We fought back from an 0-5 hole to win 6-5 today, so maybe we are grinding out AB's and finding a way to get some runs and runners on the bases.

We made it through Minnesota, but unfortunately now we have Boston to go through, and after their 4 game beating courtesy of the Yankees, they're going to come at us hard. This is going to be a good test for our boys.

Edited by Echolalia

We made it through Minnesota, but unfortunately now we have Boston to go through, and after their 4 game beating courtesy of the Yankees, they're going to come at us hard. This is going to be a good test for our boys.

Red Sox fans are their normal angsty melodramatic selves and are convinced that we're going to get at least three of four. Of course, last week (before the Yankees sweep), I had Red Sox fans snickering at me for being a Tigers fan, which is easily stopped when I ask which of our two teams is in first place.

^^ BoSox are a bunch of bush league punks, even without Manny Ramirez.

Can't win a game on the up and up so they have to goad our pitcher into getting tossed. Reeks of flagrant fouls in the NBA that draw a star into a suspension. <_< What a bunch of *&^%$$.

Hopefully Tigs take the next two. The rest of the AL Central are too inept to make up ground anyways (unbelievably). Go Rays and Go Rangers, and I hate to say it but Go Yankees - rather have them win the east.

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Kevin Youkilis is a ******. Porcello threw at him intentionally for sure, but did Youkilis forget that the Tigers best player got plunked and had to leave the game? Throwing the helmet is a joke. It reminded me of Mike Sweeney/Jeff Weaver a few years ago.

I hate to say it, but the Tigers aren't that good of a team. 1-5 against the Yankees, winless against the Red Sox this season, 3-3 against the Angels (though the Angels are much better now). Those are the playoff teams there and the Tigers can't even separate themselves from a mediocre White Sox team who has Peavy coming. Maggs and Polanco are finally hitting which is nice, but this team still moves base-to-base far too much. Our only hope is Verlander/Jackson/Washburn go lights out in a series because the Tigers offense and bullpen isn't consistent enough on most nights.

Last thought: why in the hell is Chris Lambert on a major league roster? The guy has AAA stuff and that might even be generous. I thought Nate Robertson was bad, but Lambert would give gum boy a run for worst pitcher.

Edited by GoWings1905

The Tigers are in a pennant race. I don't care how bad they look, I'm having too much fun watching them this season. Sure, they're frustrating as hell, but who cares? This is basically only the fourth time in my life they've been playing meaningful games this late, and the first two times, I was two and five years old.

The Tigers are in a pennant race. I don't care how bad they look, I'm having too much fun watching them this season. Sure, they're frustrating as hell, but who cares? This is basically only the fourth time in my life they've been playing meaningful games this late, and the first two times, I was two and five years old.

I agree, I am enjoying this season very much as well. 2006 is the only memorable season I remember in my life so you do come to appreciate the good years as a Tigers fan. My post was just a realistic assessment of the Tigers as a baseball team. They are the best of a very average division. I want to see some quality wins against potential playoff opponents. I would love to see them make the playoffs, despite my belief they wouldn't be around long. This team isn't young - the window is closing quickly and our farm system is depleted.

My apologies if my previous post came across as unappreciative of the Tigers. That wasn't my intent.

Edited by GoWings1905

I agree, I am enjoying this season very much as well. 2006 is the only memorable season I remember in my life so you do come to appreciate the good years as a Tigers fan. My post was just a realistic assessment of the Tigers as a baseball team. They are the best of a very average division. I want to see some quality wins against potential playoff opponents. I would love to see them make the playoffs, despite my belief they wouldn't be around long. This team isn't young - the window is closing quickly and our farm system is depleted.

My apologies if my previous post came across as unappreciative of the Tigers. That wasn't my intent.

what?

Verlander- 26

Jackson-25

Galarraga- 27

Porcello- 20

Perry-23

Miner-27

Ni-26

Rodney-32

Seay-31

Laird-29

Cabrera-26

Everett-31

Inge-31

Santiago-29

Granderson-28

Rayburn-28

Thomas-25

I would say that is a pretty young team. We lost Kenny Rogers, Todd Jones, and Pudge this offseason, and I would say that we are by no means at the end of the "window" you speak of.

what?

Verlander- 26

Jackson-25

Galarraga- 27

Porcello- 20

Perry-23

Miner-27

Ni-26

Rodney-32

Seay-31

Laird-29

Cabrera-26

Everett-31

Inge-31

Santiago-29

Granderson-28

Rayburn-28

Thomas-25

I would say that is a pretty young team. We lost Kenny Rogers, Todd Jones, and Pudge this offseason, and I would say that we are by no means at the end of the "window" you speak of.

Fair point. I just don't know how many of the guys you listed are really part of the Tigers future or have the potential to play every day in the big leagues. Despite their stuggles/injuries, Polanco, Maggs and Guillen are aging and still play valuable roles on the team. The pitching is very strong at the top of the rotation and Perry will be very good in the future for the bullpen. Everett isn't going to be around - he is a filler for Iorg. Thomas could maybe develop into a starter if he cuts down his swing. Raburn and Santiago are role players. Sure, there are plenty of nice pieces but this team is built to win now or else we would still have Maybin, Jurrjens, Miller, Hernandez, etc. floating around in the organization.