• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingaling

Getting sick of "Ovie's" goal celebration's

Rate this topic

The thing i dont like about ovie is the other day he was set up perfectly for a open net by his other linemate and just went off with his celebration. Doing his celebration he skated right by one of his teamates leaving out to dry. This is totally disrespectful because his linemate did the work and he just left him hanging. Unlike red wings who greet and hug and headbutt each other right away giving EVERYONE ON THE ICE credit for the goal.

And this is the main thing I love about hockey celebrations. The coming-together of everyone on the ice for the basic but supportive love pat on the helmet/shoulder/back/butt. Yeah, I know eleven players on a football field would find that hard to do but I still say pro hockey's unique in that sense and I'm grateful for it.

Datsyuk has a better +/- (15pt difference), plays 3mins less per game, has taken 200 fewer shots this season, spent an hour less in the box, has 20 more steals and given it up 40 fewer times.

How is Ovechkin the better overall player?

Datsyuk has a better +/- (15pt difference), plays 3mins less per game, has taken 200 fewer shots this season, spent an hour less in the box, has 20 more steals and given it up 40 fewer times.

Obviously because he has been in one NHL fight in his career, where he was thoroughly trounced by Paul Gaustad.

Guest micah
You are aware this is a sport, right?

I am sure if someone legitimately threatened his wife or daughter, or even close friend, Dasyuk would be willing to fight. Outside of those cisrcumstances, I fail to see when fighting is a necessity.

Why on earth should he go out of his way to get his ass kicked on the ice? Do you really think he has a single teamate or coach who questions his leadership, determination and guts simply because he has never received a fighting major?

Are you even going to try to avoid logical falacies?

Strawman 1: I want Pavel to go out of his way to find a fight.

Strawman 2: I want Pavel to get his ass kicked.

He has played in almost 600 games, I immagine, averaging something like 18 min toi, that at a handful of times there might have been a situation where a message needed to be sent, where the team needed a spark that his stick just wouldn't give that night, that a teammate or he himself was cheapshotted, etc. I never, ever said that he should go out of his way looking for fights. None of the greats made a habbit of doing such - but all of them DID fight at least on occasion. Pavel did not, because Pavel will not.

I do not want him to get his ass kicked - I hope that if he drops his gloves and helmet/visor that he does well for himself and that it sends a message and sparks the team. I don't really care if he wins of loses, I'd be very impressed with him if he just would at least show up to the dance. Unlike many, I don't think that Pavel is such a fragile dainty weakling that he couldn't survive a 20 seccond hockey fight without suffering a major injury - that's why I don't understand his refusal to do so. It's good enough for Howe, for Mario, for Gretzky, for Yzerman, for both Hulls, for Konstantinov, for Borque, for Sakic, for Coffey, for Orr, for Roy, for Crosby, for Ovechkin, (even for Listrom for crying out loud!), why not for P or Z? The only great non-goalie I can think of who played his whole NHL carreer without a fighting major was Jagr....and yes, I think he was a wuss too.

My point exactly. Ovechkin isn't god, and he's not the best player in the NHL. I don't know how Crosby became public enemy #1, the rest of the NHL became irrelevant, and Ovechkin became everyone's hero (especially odd coming from Wings' fans considering the Caps' fans absolutely hate your teams guts more so than their own division rivals, I live in MD and this is the truth)

Guest micah

Dats plays on the most skilled team in the league (though the Caps are certainly no slouches either). Why did you neglect to mention the fact that Ovechkin has more points in less games than Datsyuk? Are you only interested in arguments that support your conclusion or or you interested in a serious discussion about the merits of each player? Just curious so I know how to respond.

Dats plays on the most skilled team in the league (though the Caps are certainly no slouches either). Why did you neglect to mention the fact that Ovechkin has more points in less games than Datsyuk? Are you only interested in arguments that support your conclusion or or you interested in a serious discussion about the merits of each player? Just curious so I know how to respond.

Ovechkin has 3 more points and has played 1 less game, I don't think that negates any of his original points. Considering the ridiculous amount of attention Ovechkin receives vs. Datsyuk I don't think those 2 stats change the perspective at all.

Guest micah
Ovechkin has 3 more points and has played 1 less game, I don't think that negates any of his original points. Considering the ridiculous amount of attention Ovechkin receives vs. Datsyuk I don't think those 2 stats change the perspective at all.

Explain further. What exactly does attention have to do with the discussion of which of the two is the better player? You might make an argument that Ovechkin is overated or that Datsyuk is underated - that's fine, but that's not what I'm talking about. I say that the Ovechkin of today is better that Dtsyuk was at the same age, and quite likely better than Dats is today at his peak. I doubt that it will take Ovechkin 7 years to start performing in the playoffs (actually, he looked pretty good in them last year already), and I think that when Ovechkin peaks, he will absolutelybe a better player than Pavel Datsyuk ever was. He might be a better player than Pavel is today. I think he is.

Are you even going to try to avoid logical falacies?

Strawman 1: I want Pavel to go out of his way to find a fight.

Strawman 2: I want Pavel to get his ass kicked.

He has played in almost 600 games, I immagine, averaging something like 18 min toi, that at a handful of times there might have been a situation where a message needed to be sent, where the team needed a spark that his stick just wouldn't give that night, that a teammate or he himself was cheapshotted, etc. I never, ever said that he should go out of his way looking for fights. None of the greats made a habbit of doing such - but all of them DID fight at least on occasion. Pavel did not, because Pavel will not.

I do not want him to get his ass kicked - I hope that if he drops his gloves and helmet/visor that he does well for himself and that it sends a message and sparks the team. I don't really care if he wins of loses, I'd be very impressed with him if he just would at least show up to the dance. Unlike many, I don't think that Pavel is such a fragile dainty weakling that he couldn't survive a 20 seccond hockey fight without suffering a major injury - that's why I don't understand his refusal to do so. It's good enough for Howe, for Mario, for Gretzky, for Yzerman, for both Hulls, for Konstantinov, for Borque, for Sakic, for Coffey, for Orr, for Roy, for Crosby, for Ovechkin, (even for Listrom for crying out loud!), why not for P or Z? The only great non-goalie I can think of who played his whole NHL carreer without a fighting major was Jagr....and yes, I think he was a wuss too.

What makes you think a smaller european, with absolutely no history of fighting whatsoever, would be able to handle himself with another player that was willing to fight? "Willing" being the operative word here, because most players Datsyuk's size that are "willing" would more than likely mop the ice with Datsyuk. How'd you like to see Datsyuk go toe-to-toe with Rick Rypien, Daniel Carcillo or Jordin Tootoo? I am sure it would be really uplifting for the team to watch Datsyuk get smacked around.

Maybe you're right, and maybe we would have seen him do well against Roberts or Daley if the refs were not there -- but I'm fine without knowing.

Yes, the 3 more points to 1 more game played was even enough to not be discussed IMO. Hits is/was the only other "important" factor I would use to base a better overall-ness. But Dats wins 57% of his faceoffs, so again, I think that is a fair trade off when comparing the two.

Dats playing in a more difficult conference should also be considered.

Ovechkin plays with Semin, Backstrom and Green - three of the most offensively talented players in the league, and they get to throw Fedorov on their power plays as well. Datsyuk is playing regularly with Holmstrom or Cleary - both of whom are last on the list of players mentioned in offensive skill.

Ovechkin may have one less game than Datsyuk, but he is averaging 22:50 in playing time to Datsyuk's 19:09.

Over an 82 game season, that difference factors out to over 15 extra games Ovechkin sees in extra ice time.

Each game, on average, Ovechkin sees 2 more minutes of power play time than Datsyuk and an extra 2 1/2 minutes of even strength time. Do you think Datsyuk would be doing a little better points-wise if he was seeing an extra 45 games worth of time on the power play (averaging 3 1/2 minutes)? Maybe?

I think Ovie's celebations are Great! It shows his passion and enthusiasm for the game! The fans also seem to love it. He's not hurting anyone, so what's the big deal? I could never see Pav or Hank celebrating like that, but that's Ovie's personality. From the interviews and what not that I've seen he likes to have fun!

Yea for my first post!

I think Ovie's celebations are Great! It shows his passion and enthusiasm for the game! The fans also seem to love it. He's not hurting anyone, so what's the big deal? I could never see Pav or Hank celebrating like that, but that's Ovie's personality. From the interviews and what not that I've seen he likes to have fun!

Yea for my first post!

I agree! Ovie is great!

Now, imagine you're sitting at Verizon Center, Caps down 0:1 against Montreal, Ovie scores incredible goal and celebrates it like it does. This energizes the whole crows and caps team, humiliates the opponent. What can be better...

I agree! Ovie is great!

Now, imagine you're sitting at Verizon Center, Caps down 0:1 against Montreal, Ovie scores incredible goal and celebrates it like it does. This energizes the whole crows and caps team, humiliates the opponent. What can be better...

I may in the minority here, but I really don't think that any professional hockey player would be humiliated because of a goal celebration. Of course, I have been known to be wrong..... from time to time.

Guest Shoreline
I may in the minority here, but I really don't think that any professional hockey player would be humiliated because of a goal celebration. Of course, I have been known to be wrong..... from time to time.

Pretty much everyone celebrates after a goal. Some just do it in different ways. Obviously Ovechkin's method annoys some people, but they have to overlook the fact that celebrating a goal is perfectly natural and that the raising one's arms in the air or doing nothing is boring as s***. Ovechkin has character, some people hate those who display an original personality. So basically put, let them blow hot air, and let Ovechkin piss them off by celebrating even more.

That goal would've been a highlight reel no matter who scored it. It just happened to be Ovie. It was entertaining to watch. I will never get sick of watching someone who has that much enthusiasm for the game no matter who they are.

I have to agree with this. I have become a very big fan of the Capitals since last year. Not as much of a fan as I am of the Wings, but so much to the point where I catch as many Caps games as I can on my Center Ice Package. The team reminds me of a college hockey team where they have so much enthusiasm and the fans bring forward a lot of energy for their team. I approve of Ovechkin's goal celebrations. He doesn't celebrate to the extreme for every goal, but for the ones he does they are warranted. I loved the goal he scored in the playoffs last year against Philadelphia. His goal celebration afterwords was awesome.

I think the NHL needs more players like this. High energy, highly skilled, and very exciting to watch. At the same time though, they are respectful as much as any player is. It isn't like he is taunting other players with his celebrations or talking smack. Which is more than I can say for a couple of the rec leagues I play in. :D

Yea for my first post!

Excellent first post. I agree!

This brings up a good debate fFrom a broader perspective.

Celebrations in hockey are looked at as a sign of disrepect, which I dont really understand. OVIE is great for the game and brings a level of excitement we could use more of. He energizes the entire franchise and pumps life and confidence into his teammates. they look like they're having fun out there unlike us on some nights where we just look kind of bored

They know it.

I'm sure they do... :rolleyes:

C

ool. I wouldn't.

GOOD FOR YOU

Let me get this right - you think that Datsyuk probably could handle himself just fine in a scrap and isn't scared of anyone and that the only reason he hasn't yet is because there hasn't yet been a moment in a game in his carreer where his hockey skills were not so immediately important that he could get away with taking a 5 minute break to deffend himself or a teamate? Every great NHLer that I can think of has had at least a few fights under their belt at their time of retirement. Every single one. Dats probably won't (certainly not because he's coawardly, but probably because he's so badass that nobody is willing to go with him - right?)

Okay, maybe not Hasek, but he was a wuss too - probably a bigger one than Dats;)

I agree that keeping star players out of the box is good general practice - but no league superstars have been as reluctant to drop them as Pavel. If you think fighting is a part of the game (and the vast majority of players and fans do), then a person who will not fight cannot be called a complete player. I prefer complete players and I don't understand why some men simply refuse to be one, unless they are scared. What other possibilities are there? I suppose it's possible that Pavel just never happened to be on the ice when a cheapshot was taken against a teammate, or that he just never happened to be in a situation where a message needed to be sent. I suppose it's possible that Pavel's superstar hands are just too fragile (unlike Gretzky's, Mario's, Howe's, Ovy's or Crosby's) to handle the trauma that a fight might cause. Maybe he's not a chicken afterall. Maybe.

When has anyone challenged Datsyuk to drop the gloves where he decline? Show me where he's ran away like a girl, because I see him part of scraps all the time, and I have never seen him shy away from someone who was in his face. Not once.

Your entire premise is based on an opinion of yours which you can't even prove. That Datsyuk is a pansy.