• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Ericsson/Downey Up; Helm/Leino to GR

Rate this topic

When is the last time we won a cup without dressing a guy with at least 5 fighting majors? Can you answer me that one since assinine questions seem to be your thing and all.

1954-1955

Again, not a Downey hater at all. But I can't find a boxscore to confirm. Didn't we lose to Dallas in the game we played? Easily? At home?

I must be mistaken because everyone keeps saying he helped us that game but I could've sworn it didn't go well for us.

Really? Thats what you can come up with. A loss in his only game. Did you see the Wings in the second period? You probably didn't even watch the game but I won't hold that against you but I will say the Wings played there best period of hockey I have seen all season. And yes it was thanks to Downey touching Ice and the fans going nuts with every single hit. He gets fans out of there seats and cheering. Your gonna say he didn't help the team because they lossed? They were already on a loseing streak going into the night.

Really? Thats what you can come up with. A loss in his only game. Did you see the Wings in the second period? You probably didn't even watch the game but I won't hold that against you but I will say the Wings played there best period of hockey I have seen all season. And yes it was thanks to Downey touching Ice and the fans going nuts with every single hit. He gets fans out of there seats and cheering. Your gonna say he didn't help the team because they lossed? They were already on a loseing streak going into the night.

AS I SAID... I like Aaron Downey. I'm not bashing him. I had just gotten confused. Slow your roll, bro. That post had claws.

Again, not a Downey hater at all. But I can't find a boxscore to confirm. Didn't we lose to Dallas in the game we played? Easily? At home?

I must be mistaken because everyone keeps saying he helped us that game but I could've sworn it didn't go well for us.

'Ere we go

A brief history of time: Downey had a huge shift where he hit everything that moved, the team chugged along and Nick scored a goal, but this was the game where the fair and unbiased judgment of Dan O'Halloran stole a tally from the Wings because Homer was also in the attacking zone. It was visibly deflating and they played a terrible third.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

'Ere we go

A brief history of time: Downey had a huge shift where he hit everything that moved, the team chugged along and Nick scored a goal, but this was the game where the fair and unbiased judgment of Dan O'Halloran stole a tally from the Wings because Homer was also in the attacking zone. It was visibly deflating and they played a terrible third.

Thanks. I have a terrible memory, I remember parts of this. Losses I usually tend to forget quicker.

What is your point? I don't recall anyone claiming the Downey was and/or is the end all, be all key to winning. If we were to use your rationale then wouldn't I be able to say was Downey in the lineup for the game in which the 27th best offense in the league beat us 8-0? If I were to say this not only would I sound like a complete jackass, but worse it proves nothing and makes absolutely nothing of a relative statement surrounding the debate for or against Downey being in the lineup.

Common sense my friend -- try to use it.

PS - The game Downey played in, you know the game against Dallas where the Wings lost, was however the loudest and most energetic I have seen the Joe since the playoffs last summer. On top of that Downey was voted Player of the Game for the Wings by the fans with close to 50% of the vote.

I know you didn't inquire about any of that but I figured I would inform you just in case you were "mistaken" in the future. Don't worry though I am not a complete moron hater or anything, just simply take pleasure in enlightening them into the reality of the situations they have no worthwhile insight on, yet still offer up meaningless comments about.

What is your point? I don't recall anyone claiming the Downey was and/or is the end all, be all key to winning. If we were to use your rationale then wouldn't I be able to say was Downey in the lineup for the game in which the 27th best offense in the league beat us 8-0? If I were to say this not only would I sound like a complete jackass, but worse it proves nothing and makes absolutely nothing of a relative statement surrounding the debate for or against Downey being in the lineup.

Common sense my friend -- try to use it.

PS - The game Downey played in, you know the game against Dallas where the Wings lost, was however the loudest and most energetic I have seen the Joe since the playoffs last summer. On top of that Downey was voted Player of the Game for the Wings by the fans with close to 50% of the vote.

I know you didn't inquire about any of that but I figured I would inform you just in case you were "mistaken" in the future. Don't worry though I am not a complete moron hater or anything, just simply take pleasure in enlightening them into the reality of the situations they have no worthwhile insight on, yet still offer up meaningless comments about.

I didn't make a comment on Downey. I asked a question. HoH answered. Why are you so offended by this?

I got the impression from some posts we won a game I thought we lost. I never blamed it on Downey.

Maybe you guys thought I was being sarcastic, I don't know. Anyway, I wasn't.

has anyone else been impressed with Kopecky as much as I have recently? I mean it seems like since youth came on the line and maybe he is healing that he is playing much better. (maybe some Drake did get into that vampire like skull of his)

i wonder why downey got called up if he hasnt been playing well down in the AHL this year?

im a fan of downey for sure, but it will be interesting to see how he does against the Blues tomorrow... i can feel a scrap coming on. But downey's game needs to be more than just fighting people...id like to see him become an energy guy. really throw his weight around, not taking silly penalties, basically just being a good 4th line type of guy, but after seeing what Leino can do, as much as i like the fighting and the hard nosed playing type that downey tries to be, Leino seems to just help the 4th line play like an energetic 4th line; something downey cant really do right now... maybe ever.

Downey v Janssen

what im not in the possible fights thread?

Anyway I am very happy to see Downey up along with Ericcson. However, I am not oevr thrilled to see Helm and Leino sent down, wish it was two other players I wont mention, but due to cap and contract logistics cant be sent down, so lets not go there. No question Leino played well and Helm played pretty well. I think Leino will offer us some flexibility when it comes to contract negotiations this offseason which will be invaluable. The wings have alot of players I like and hate see get sent down but it is what it is. I just wish we had room for a tougher fourth line

This thread is awesome. I can't tell if people are intentionally distorting people's posts or just not reading them. I especially like it how evidence that directly contradicts one's argument becomes proof of that argument. Except for a goalie, nothing divides a fan base like an enforcer.

Edited by Third Man In

Box Score : 5 - 1 Wings

Downey 3

Ericsson 1

Hudler 1

It's gonna happen you wait and see :thumbup:

Then i'm going to Detroit and getting my roast beef sandwich ^_^

Edited by Stolsanov

Obviously what a segment of the Red Wing audience wants is fights.

Cue up your DVR's, cause you should get some tomorrow! HOT DAMN!

I love fights, don't get me wrong. I love it when two players come together in the heat of battle and boil over and can't take it anymore and decide to throw down. I've been in on a few myself.

But....I don't think that is Babcock's (or Bowman's before him) ideaology on how "Red Wing Hockey" should be played at its finest. I'm not the guy who is going to rank enforcers or look up 4 year old fights on YouTube. Not "fighting for fighting's sake", but I enjoy a fierce high level of aggression, and enjoy it while it lasts!

Here's the thing, the things you're saying in that second paragraph are implicit in the first. Have the Wings been less physical and had worse team defense and a poorer mindset because of any one guy being or not being in the lineup? No. To me, it stinks of Stanley Cup hangover segwaying nicely into regular season boredom. The Wings played pretty big and tough against the Sharks, wouldn't you agree? They did a number on the Pens before that, and the Hawks before that.

Sure, I agree the SCF hangover is a bigger thing than just one guy. Fair enough. But there are three key players who filled that specific role last year, at least one of whom was pretty much on the ice in every game. I'm not just talking about a fighter, I'm talking about a player with a generally ornery disposition who gives as good as he gets when things get rough. There's nobody on this team like that. The guys on this team who play tough have to be coached to do so. They're not just wired to play that way like Drake, Downey or Mac.

I'm not saying, and have never said, that Downey couldn't help the team. Hell, he already helped the team in his only game this year. But it's very easy to take these notions of toughness and run with them well beyond the point of reason. Does one player really alter the whole team's mindset? They were capable of performing tough without that player, or one like him, in the examples I gave.

A player can lift the team, and a player can fundamentally alter a team's mindset -- we've seen both, it can even be from an enforcer; but it doesn't look to me at all like Aaron Downey is the latter. The team doesn't need him to play hard nosed hockey. He might help them to do that, on occasion, but the rest of the gang can absolutely do it on their own.

The jury's out on this, IMO. From what I've seen, this team doesn't want to hit anybody. If you want to blame the hangover, okay, I can't prove that's not the reason. But the most physical games they've played in the past 5 seasons were the ones I saw last year. There was no SC hangover in the other three seasons leading up to last year. For me, there's just no question that a few key players on the roster were responsible for that. Is it anecdotal evidence? Sure. And I'm subject to being biased. But the Downey game against Dallas this year was certainly not a "mark your calendars" matchup like the games against Chicago or San Jose (who cares about Dallas?), and that game clearly stood out amongst the others.

I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised that I was wrong about teams gooning it up with the Wings this year. I expected more of it with the Stanley Cup champs tag they're wearing, but it's been quite the opposite; teams have pretty much left their stars alone this year. I can't explain it. Either there's some kind of respect factor I've never seen before, or the league really is just changing.

I can bet at least half of these posts are of the drama queen variety of the mind-numbing enforcer debate that unfortuatnely will never go away.

Wish Helm/Leino could stay up, but not getting up in arms about it due to cap situation, etc.

On Ericsson and Downey coming up...

BurnsExcellentSticker.jpg

Greetings to the board. My first post after reading much of your comments regarding this topic.

I must say, I agree with many people on this board and disagree with others. Yes, I've played, lived, and experienced hockey for generations. I believe hockey needs to be held to high standards of its original intentions. If we keep altering the game to be something it was never intended, a soft sport (i.e.), then we should move forward the outfields in baseball for the hitters to hit more homeruns so the fans can jump and cheer.

That being said, we have players and goaltenders getting run on the Detroit Red Wings DAILY. It's hard to watch quite frankly when after a routine whistle our defenseman, including our noble captain, watch the goaltender get 'snowed' after each whistle. A clear sign, in hockey language as disrespect.

The pro-Downey people on this board like fights, sure, but it's much greater than that. They realize that an ENFORCER is needed to maintain the integrity of the game. Downey will keep players honest... Will he necessarily prevent injuries? That would never be known, since a player that hasn't been injured can't be accounted for. He will; however, hold players accountable.

Also, when you take a 8-0 drubbing and react like you did as Stanley Cup Champions, you lose respect within the league. Oh, and those who speak of Lilja as a 'tough guy'. NO, my friends, no way... Lilja is a large man, with very poor fighting ability.

Downey is a must on this roster, watch his energy tonight. Last time I spoke with him he had a real cool demeanor regarding being up with the Wings; not bitter, not upset, just waiting for his time to work hard like he does on his potato farm.

I'm not the guy who is going to rank enforcers

I am! And I will do just for the fun of it :)

1. Probert

2. Kocur

3. Grimson

4. McCarty

5. ...Downey :lol:

Downey is gonna kick some ass tonight! The Wings will be a nailin' and the Blues will be a wailin' and Downey will be a flailin'!