• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Ericsson/Downey Up; Helm/Leino to GR

Rate this topic

Wow, Id rather see helm demoted and Ericsson brought up, Downey isnt worth a spot on the roster...Never scores, fights once in a blue moon, and takes dips*** penalties

You have no clue. Do you watch hockey?

You have no clue. Do you watch hockey?

Well, I use to play hockey... And yes i watch about 200 games a year, and try to catch 5 Wings games in person, and 10 to 20 Griffins games a year.

(just to show you what i mean by 200, all 82 wings games+playoffs, + all the san jose, boston, dallas and montreal games i can get, and WMU Broncos and other college games)

Edited by Shaman464

Downey should be up and mac too as the playoffs get closer teams play more intence with that comes the cheap shots and heavy hits. Having and enforcer around to protect the scoring tallent dosnt bother me last thing I want to see is a injury to a star from a cheap shot cause no one was around to keep the opposition honest.

Downey should be up and mac too as the playoffs get closer teams play more intence with that comes the cheap shots and heavy hits. Having and enforcer around to protect the scoring tallent dosnt bother me last thing I want to see is a injury to a star from a cheap shot cause no one was around to keep the opposition honest.

Agreed. As much as I enjoyed it, the last thing I want to see is Hossa having to throw the gloves again.

Interesting move, looks like management is deciding to bring up some meat to try and light a fire under the teams' ass. After the beating on the scoreboard on Saturday and Lil's getting dropped it might be a smart move. It's obvious that Leino and Helm will be back come playoff time, but the regular season can be a grind and there's nothing wrong with rotating the role players.

If the Wings have to play Calgary in the playoffs then Downey will need to stay up.

I don't think Leino could've played any better with the time he had. This kid is going to be a pro next year.

13 games (1st 13 in nhl, mind you): 5 goals, 4 assists, 9 points, +5, 6PIM, 17 shots on net.

If these numbers are applied to an 82 game season his stats look like this:

82 games: 31 goals, 25 assists, 56 points, +31, 38PIM, 107 shots on net.

This is right on par, if not better than both Datsyuk and Zetterberg's first and second years in the nhl.

Now I know as well as anyone here that these are just numbers, and we're working with a small sample size, but there's no denying he has a bright future and I'm cautiously optimistic he may be one of the guys the Wings organization looks to to replace Datsyuk or Zetterberg later on.

By the way, besides the horrific game against Nashville, he has only had a negative +/- to end the game only once.

I'm also looking forward to finally seeing Ericsson play. I've heard a lot about him.

He plays about 5 minutes a game and his presence alone helps our stars.

Now I'm not one to constantly say we need an enforcer but do you remember last year against Colorado?

BTW, come playoff time I hope Leino and Helm have roster spots over Downey

You mean the Colorado game which had Downey in the lineup.

(Don't get me wrong this is not a knock against enforcers or Downy, I think he is a great energy guy with a great positive effect on the locker room but don't think anyone is even slightly scared, intimidated, or refrains from actions because he is on the ice).

You mean the Colorado game which had Downey in the lineup.

(Don't get me wrong this is not a knock against enforcers or Downy, I think he is a great energy guy with a great positive effect on the locker room but don't think anyone is even slightly scared, intimidated, or refrains from actions because he is on the ice).

Maybe you should ask Lappy about that. I haven't seen anything even close to resembling a cheap shot from him since Downey beat his ass.

The perfect argument in favor of enforcers was seen the other night in Montreal. San Jose was ALL OVER Montreal early in the game. Laraque and Shelley fight and BGL destroyed him. The place erupted, Montreal scored 3 straight and the Sharks disappeared.

I point out every dips*** penalty he takes whenever i see them, now granted I dont have a running list to refer to (when you take 50+ penalties a year there will be some dumbassed ones), but with the wing's PK being sooo piss poor, any penalty can lose a game. But as we all know Enforcers win stanley cups, thats why Downey was in our line up against pittsburgh <_< . Enforcers dont stop s*** in the NHL, they are there to take a run at someone after the other teams idiot does something stupid, well guess what, the wings need someone like that like we need a hole in our head. As for what the fourth line needs, its a guy who plays decent defense not a guy who is -5 in the AHL this year. You are just a fanboy of enforcers even if they take a roster spot of someone with actual skill and needs the time in the NHL to develop. You show me one game Downey has won for the wings and I will relent.

You may be right about Downey only because he's not a very effective enforcer presence to start out , he ranks low on the totem pole toe to toe we any of the top fighters in the league. He also lacks hockey skills that make him a liability out there, and he not that good at throwing his weight around preiod. But you underestimate the impact of enforcer types that are multi dimensional players. Just look at Shawn Thornton I would take him in our team over someone like Franzen any day. Role players like that who can also put the puck in the net and go to the wall for your team are what the Wings are sorley lacking. We have an over abundance of finesse at the exspense of grit not a my ideal of what a team should be. Anyways that's what are team is now.

Syked as hell.

Downs gets another shot, I think what they are doing is good. You send Helm and Leino down for a few games, Let them work on parts of there game. Helm, scoring, Leino grinding. Let Downey take some punishment away from the players while they play St Louis and Colorado.

Depending on how Big Rig does, will tell us if we do anything at deadline time for a depth d-man. and Downs will do enough to keep the flies off down the stretch.

Hopefully, Ericsson gets up here and rocks so hard that the new D-pairs become:

Raffi - Lids

Kronwall - Ericsson

Lilja - Stuart

That bottom d-pair would kick ass.. if one goes out of the way to make a hit, you know the other likely has good positioning. Stewie has occasional usefulness offensively.

Then we trade off Lebda. The cool factor of having the Chi-town pair will be gone when Cheli finally disintegrates into a pile of dust anyhow.

Well, I can fantasize, can't I? If nothing else, I can live with Lilja - Ericsson as a bottom pairing.

I point out every dips*** penalty he takes whenever i see them, now granted I dont have a running list to refer to (when you take 50+ penalties a year there will be some dumbassed ones), but with the wing's PK being sooo piss poor, any penalty can lose a game. But as we all know Enforcers win stanley cups, thats why Downey was in our line up against pittsburgh <_< . Enforcers dont stop s*** in the NHL, they are there to take a run at someone after the other teams idiot does something stupid, well guess what, the wings need someone like that like we need a hole in our head. As for what the fourth line needs, its a guy who plays decent defense not a guy who is -5 in the AHL this year. You are just a fanboy of enforcers even if they take a roster spot of someone with actual skill and needs the time in the NHL to develop. You show me one game Downey has won for the wings and I will relent.

If not for guys like Downey, Mac and Drake, this team wouldn't have even gotten to the Finals to play against Pittsburgh. The team's overall toughness was due in part to guys like Downey who the team fed off of for physical play all season. Otherwise, we'd have been as soft as pudding in the playoffs like in prior years. He was one of the catalysts for physical play.

You're just another one of these anti-enforcer people who point out stupid stats like Downey's -5 in the minors, disregarding the fact that our 4th line wishes right now that it could be at -5 on the season.

And don't tell me about taking roster spots from great players. Our 4th line has no skill on it right now. Kopecky has had his time to develop. Having balls is not something you can develop at his age at this point in his career.

It may be possible that your second post on this is was even more uniformed and ridiculous than your first. Please don't try a third post about Downey's uslessness, lest you embarass yourself further.

My man-love for Downey is boundless. So nothing needs to be said there...apart from DOWNEY V LAPPY ROUND TWO BABY!!

And good to see Ericsson get a shot. Cant wait to see what he can do. And so long as we see Downey again when we play the Flyers on the 17th I'll be happy :)

But man o man I am so stoked to see Downey back.

If the Wings have to play Calgary in the playoffs then Downey will need to stay up.

He would absolutely not.

I'm disappointed to see Leino go down, he has been one of the Wings top guys since he got up to the bigs. But given the last two games, bringing up a guy like Downey to hit and give the team some energy like in the Dallas tilt could be useful.

And don't tell me about taking roster spots from great players. Our 4th line has no skill on it right now.

It did with Leino. Seven of Leino's nine points (in thirteen games) came with some combination of Draper, Maltby, Kopecky, and Helm on his line.

I recognize that the situation being what it is with Lilja and Lebda out requires a Dman to come up, that one of Helm or Leino was losing their spots regardless. If they want to give Downey another shot then both have to sit, and I'll defer to management's superior wisdom on this for now. If nothing else, I'm excited to see Ericsson get another shot with the Wings, and maybe a couple fights.

You sir are downright silly in your arguments against Downey. Downey does not take dips*** penalties, I mean all you really need to do is look at the 56 games he played in a Red Wings uniform last year and you will see that what you are complaining is a complete farce. He never received an instigator penalty either, this means every time he received a FM the other team received a match penalty -- of course this means we were not short handed.

The one Red Wings game Downey played this year was hands down the most energetic game of the year -- the Joe was rocking playoff style, and the fans overwhelmingly voted Downey the player of the game. You may not like him, you may not understand why he is being brought up (actually you clearly do not understand), but that by no means makes you right.

Moreover could you do me a favor and show me a game that Helm has won for us this year? Doesn't that sound ridiculous? Of course it does, I am simply showing you how utterly incompetent you are coming across as. Truth be told, Downey rounds out the overall makeup of this team -- and whether you like it or not he is coming up.

I for one couldn't be happier with the decision. I absolutely love Leino, and am amped that he will be a regular in the lineup come playoff time. That however does not mean that I think that Downey has no place on our roster. I think he will bring a lot of energy and an aspect of hockey we haven't seen a whole lot of this year.

If you really want to nitpick stats then I would love for you to explain Downey's +/- of 0 last year. Now I know it isn't great, but it is very, very far from being able to label him a "liability" on the ice.

Hockey is more then just highlight reel goals, and trust me while I love them as much as anyone, I also recognize the fact with guys like Datsyuk upping his physical game and Hossa being forced to fight there comes a time when you need to bring in guys to watch over those who provide us with the very highlight reel goals I speak of.

I know it isn't completely the same, but for arguments sake can you also go ahead and tell me how much Dave Semetko hurt Gretzky and company in Edmonton? Or how much Kocur hurt us the years he was in the lineup and we won the cup, or even better, how much Downey and then McCarty hurt us last year (with Downey playing the majority of the regular season and Big Mac playing throughout the playoffs). If you can explain that to me then I will listen, if not then you should really keep your off base opinions, assumptions, and statements to yourself.