• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HomeNugget

Detroit Lions 2009 Thread

Rate this topic

Ahh. Well, the numbers are a little weird, but I could get used to them. The News article implied the jersey would lose the stripes and get "more refined piping" which to me sounds awful because I hate piping except on baseball jerseys. There's no piping there. And the pant stripes are an improvement - I hated how they just slapped black outlines on the old stripes, it looked really dumb. I can live with this.

Ahh. Well, the numbers are a little weird, but I could get used to them. The News article implied the jersey would lose the stripes and get "more refined piping" which to me sounds awful because I hate piping except on baseball jerseys. There's no piping there. And the pant stripes are an improvement - I hated how they just slapped black outlines on the old stripes, it looked really dumb. I can live with this.

I'm with you there. I liked our old numbers, but I can see these new ones growing on me. I know earlier I said I didn't care if the logo/jerseys got a huge makeover, but now that I see these they are perfect. It doesn't change drastically, and the colors stay the same. Good idea.

They need to hire Macedonians. We know what Lions are. :cool:

MKDlionmodern-secversion.png

100_0006.jpg

soccer_lions_wlogo.gif

Thm65429_DSCF3374.JPG

P.S. I do not have Tatoos.

Edited by Jwo

changes made were subtle enough to be in good taste. the blue didn't change as much as i thought it might, according to unconfirmed reports i heard a month or so ago. i, for one, appreciate that they kept with the overall honolulu blue theme. helmets will take some getting used to but after all, they are just unis... its not indicative of play on the field. hopefully this is one of several things that give this team a much needed shot in the arm.

i'd like jason smith with #1, or aaron curry... but taking a linebacker with the first overall pick seems a little unlikely. at the same time, we know what happened the last time a team made that decision... so i'm not against it.

i'd like jason smith with #1, or aaron curry... but taking a linebacker with the first overall pick seems a little unlikely. at the same time, we know what happened the last time a team made that decision... so i'm not against it.

Aundray Bruce would seem like a great reason NOT to pick a linebacker - that being the last time a team picked a linebacker first overall.

Doesn't matter though. As long as they don't pick a quarterback. With McCoy and Tebow and probably Bradford being eligible next year, all of whom are better than Stafford right now, it'd be stupid and short-sighted to take a QB this year. The Lions are still going to have a top-five pick next year and somebody better will fall into their lap.

Aundray Bruce would seem like a great reason NOT to pick a linebacker - that being the last time a team picked a linebacker first overall.

Doesn't matter though. As long as they don't pick a quarterback. With McCoy and Tebow and probably Bradford being eligible next year, all of whom are better than Stafford right now, it'd be stupid and short-sighted to take a QB this year. The Lions are still going to have a top-five pick next year and somebody better will fall into their lap.

You really think that about next year's QB's? I'm not sure about that besides Bradford, but heres how I look at those 3 guys.

-This isn't really fair to say, but who is a good pro QB from Oklahoma? People also bring up his "system", but I disagree with that.

-I do not see how Tebow will be a first round pick if guys are saying he will play someplace else in the NFL. Unless Loeffler really changes his slow release. I'm not sure if there is enough time for that because it took Loeffler over a season to change Henne's.

-I'm a big McCoy fan (he reminds me of Forcier). With that said I've never seen him throw a pass over 15 yards. He is very accurate though

ok, i thought i recall the last LB taken first overall becoming a pro bowl regular... must have been a different draft. thanks for the correction.

either way, they should go OL so i suppose this is all a moot point. jason smith, PLEASE.

i agree completely with the QB situation... better options in '10.

won't happen but if by some stroke of luck this guy drops to the 3rd round, i'd spend one of our picks on him - i know, crazy thought because we have better chances of all four seasons of weather in one day... one can still dream.

Edited by spydrwebb

did you notice the subtle difference between the photos you posted and the lions logo? the logo lacks CLAWS. If i remember correctly, lions were de-clawed in 1963, shortly after Ford bought the team - he was worried about scratching other teams' players.

They need to hire Macedonians. We know what Lions are. :cool:

MKDlionmodern-secversion.png

100_0006.jpg

soccer_lions_wlogo.gif

Thm65429_DSCF3374.JPG

P.S. I do not have Tatoos.

Edited by SUPERSTUD

So, supposedly, the Lions have a deal with Aaron Curry for less money than what Jake Long was paid last year....BUT - they are still negotiating with Stafford, and his agent is holding out. Curry would be the pick if they can't get a deal done with Stafford. (Hooray for ******* agents.)

The Lions actually have a lot of leverage here especially if they've gotten Curry to sign for about $32-33 million guaranteed or so. If the Lions don't get Stafford, he'll drop at least to 4th overall barring a trade-up, and Darren McFadden got paid $26 million last year. Condon could be costing Stafford $10 million by holding out like that. And then he'd better hope the Seahawks don't like Sanchez better, in which case who knows how far Stafford could drop. If I were a betting man I'd guess Stafford ends up with a contract very similar to Long's instead of something in the $40 million range. And Lions fans end up with the second total failure of a quarterback in a decade.

So, supposedly, the Lions have a deal with Aaron Curry for less money than what Jake Long was paid last year....BUT - they are still negotiating with Stafford, and his agent is holding out. Curry would be the pick if they can't get a deal done with Stafford. (Hooray for ******* agents.)

The Lions actually have a lot of leverage here especially if they've gotten Curry to sign for about $32-33 million guaranteed or so. If the Lions don't get Stafford, he'll drop at least to 4th overall barring a trade-up, and Darren McFadden got paid $26 million last year. Condon could be costing Stafford $10 million by holding out like that. And then he'd better hope the Seahawks don't like Sanchez better, in which case who knows how far Stafford could drop. If I were a betting man I'd guess Stafford ends up with a contract very similar to Long's instead of something in the $40 million range. And Lions fans end up with the second total failure of a quarterback in a decade.

Let me make sure I have all this straight. Curry offers to take a less money to play for the Lions, but the Lions would rather have Stafford, who's holding out for more money. Curry is the fans' choice, and no one wants the Lions to draft Stafford. Why can't this team pull its head out of its ass and finally do something for the fans.

Let me make sure I have all this straight. Curry offers to take a less money to play for the Lions, but the Lions would rather have Stafford, who's holding out for more money. Curry is the fans' choice, and no one wants the Lions to draft Stafford. Why can't this team pull its head out of its ass and finally do something for the fans.

Because Ford loves Stafford apparently. Once again he's the one you need to point the finger at. I think Curry is the way to go. He should be a safe pick, and will save money. You can get a QB next year, or if they are lucky (and like him) they could possibly get Freeman at 20. I don't know anything about Freeman so I don't have an opinion on him. He was under the radar because he played against Bradford, McCoy, and Harrel.

Just my opinion but here's how I'd wish our draft to go down like. 1st pick, Curry, singable and an incredible talent for our terrible defense, not a spectacular big play maker, but a great stabilizing force which we badly need. 20th pick, the best Offensive tackle available most likely Smith (worth the risk) or Oher. 33rd pick, not sure if he'll be available, but I'd love to see Clay Matthews picked here, if not available the best defensive linesmen would do. 65th pick, best corner back available, would like DJ Moore, but would settle for best prospect ranking at CB available. With our last third round pick I actually wouldn't mind Pat White for QB, he's an extremely mobile pure athlete that would address out need at Quarter Back who I've felt has sleeper superstar potential since his great combine work out.

Anyone else have any ideal draft scenarios they'd like to share?

Pathetic, and we give him a record deal too. Way better than signing a better player, for far less money, in a position we need far more. The Lions organization disgusts me.

Matt Stafford had damn well better be the best quarterback in history if he's going to be paid like it. I don't really expect him even to be better than Kyle Boller. He's walking into the worst possible situation: terrible offensive line that isn't getting better, terrible defense that isn't getting better, a dysfunctional franchise that can't develope a quarterback, an entire fanbase that doesn't want him, and to top it off, a record deal that everyone will hold against him. In other words, the Lions f***ed up big. Again. For like the eighth time this decade.

I dunno, I kind of like this pick. Remember that we have the #20 and #33 picks as well, so there is still plenty of time to build our line. Why not get a QB that can be a star for the future with CJ and pick some good OL and LB talent a little later in the draft? Stafford can throw the ball... period. Schwartz and Linehan will get a new system going and Stafford can get on board right away. He may not play this year, but that is all for the best to sit back and see how an NFL season is.

Just a little nugget of information: the last time the Lions had the #1 pick, they picked Billy Simms.

Why not get a QB that can be a star for the future with CJ and pick some good OL and LB talent a little later in the draft?

Because you don't use the first pick on a QB that "can" be a star. You use it on a QB that is a star and played like one in college. Simply being the best quarterback in the draft is not the same as being a good quarterback - sometimes it just means there aren't any good quarterbacks.

Stafford was the 15th-rated QB in college this year. Fifteenth! His completion percentage: 42nd! You know where some of the quarterbacks play that beat him in completion percentage? San Jose State. Eastern Michigan. Louisiana-Lafayette. Duke. North Texas. It infuriates me that it doesn't throw up any red flags that Joe Ganz of Nebraska outperformed Stafford in every way. Or that 41 other quarterbacks managed to have more success completing passes than Stafford did.

But no. He's got "Prototypical NFL Size." He's got a Rocket Arm. Scouts go slobber slobber slobber over NFL Size, despite the fact that every quarterback in the league, including the suck-ass s***ty ones, have NFL Size. Do we care that in the biggest game of Georgia's season against Florida, he threw no touchdowns, three picks, and barely completed half his passes? No dude. Rocket. *******. Arm. Do we care that in UGA's other big SEC game against Alabama, he didn't throw a TD pass til UGA was down 41-17 with 3 minutes to play? Dude. Rocket Arm! Do his 10 INT's bother anyone? Well no, because they were really beautiful Rocket Arm spirals. It's cool.

Jets fans are assholes, they boo'd everybody.

EDIT: That's ridiculous, Heyward-Bey before Crabtree. If you want that guy, trade down. ******* Raiders.

Haha....I'm glad we only root for the second-dumbest team in the league. Heyward-Bey looks to me like a decent second receiver in this league. Crabtree looks like a Pro Bowler. Who ever gets Crabtree is gonna be loving life.

Also very glad Eugene Monroe didn't go to the Packers. I'm not as happy about the booing for Stafford (although it might just be because Jets fans wanted him.) I'm as down on the idea as it's possible to be and I don't think Stafford is going to be any good. But I hope I'm wrong, and the proper response from Lions fans at the draft who like me didn't want Stafford is polite golf clapping or something. Don't boo the guy on his day.

Tops on my wish list now is Maualuga. But I don't want to trade up for him.